14. Young
15. Havili
16. Horsburgh
17. James
benda
Brett Mullins

Re: 2021 Rd 11 V Storm: Teams and Previews

Post by benda »

We lose by a blow out - 40+ points or we put in a good effort and make it tight. Nothing in between - e.g. 10-30 point margin I think.

IMO these suspensions and injuries are good for us... forces us to really test our depth, which we will need for next season and beyond. If we are being honest this season is really beyond us to make an impact for the premiership. Again Storm and Penrith are proving they are a few gears above Parra, Souths, Roosters and they are a few more gears above the rest.

We are, I dare say, on par with st george, titans, warriors, sharks... Manly probably too strong for us even. We belong somewhere between position 7 and 9 at full strength.

As they say: "all things happen for a reason" so perhaps given our situation this is a good thing.

Like other posts, based on the win against the Dogs; I am confident that Stuart hasn't lost the side and that we still have a playing group playing for each other. So I will be watching with interest to see what we dish up.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Timbo wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:35 pm Surely Croker can't actually replace Kris. Kris is developing into a real strike option in a backline otherwise seriously lacking in them.
Kris won't miss any games unless he gets injured or has a serious slump of form. He is a first grade player and the future for us. I am a huge fan.
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

zim wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:59 pm
yurithe1 wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:01 pm Josh Papalii (next 3 weeks out), Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson all took early guilty pleas for their dangerous contact charges. However, Jarrod Croker and Jordan Rapana are both due back against the Storm.

Team could look like this:

1. Aekins
2. Rapana
3. Kris if Croker doesn't return. Otherwise, he replaces Valemei on the wing. Simonsson back to NSW Cup.
4. Scott
5. Valemei/Kris.
6. S Williams because we need the experience that Frawley just doesn't have yet. Besides, why throw him in the deep end after one (?) NRL game.
7. G Williams
8. Havilli
9. Starling
10. Guler
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Horsburgh because we need aggression right from the start if were going to stay in this contest.

Interchange

14. James
15. Young
16. Lui
17. Soliola

18. Frawley
Matt Frawley is 26 and has 54 first grade (and super league) games under his belt. Not really a rookie.
I just looked him up. I didn't realise that was the same bloke who captained the NYC team six years ago.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
lomax
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by lomax »

benda wrote: May 17, 2021, 4:55 pm
Timbo wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:35 pm Surely Croker can't actually replace Kris. Kris is developing into a real strike option in a backline otherwise seriously lacking in them.
Kris won't miss any games unless he gets injured or has a serious slump of form. He is a first grade player and the future for us. I am a huge fan.
I do like Kris with ball in hand and think he will develop into a quality 1st grader, but still has work to do defensively, Hoppa showed him up twice , which made Kris look very average.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

lomax wrote: May 17, 2021, 5:20 pm
benda wrote: May 17, 2021, 4:55 pm
I do like Kris with ball in hand and think he will develop into a quality 1st grader, but still has work to do defensively, Hoppa showed him up twice , which made Kris look very average.
Yep, it does go against the current narrative but he did get shown up several times in defense on the weekend. I have to accept some responsibility myself for that. Pre-game I was talking him up to mates as a smoky for QLD Origin this year. :opps
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

benda wrote: May 17, 2021, 4:51 pm We lose by a blow out - 40+ points or we put in a good effort and make it tight. Nothing in between - e.g. 10-30 point margin I think.

IMO these suspensions and injuries are good for us... forces us to really test our depth, which we will need for next season and beyond. If we are being honest this season is really beyond us to make an impact for the premiership. Again Storm and Penrith are proving they are a few gears above Parra, Souths, Roosters and they are a few more gears above the rest.

We are, I dare say, on par with st george, titans, warriors, sharks... Manly probably too strong for us even. We belong somewhere between position 7 and 9 at full strength.

As they say: "all things happen for a reason" so perhaps given our situation this is a good thing.

Like other posts, based on the win against the Dogs; I am confident that Stuart hasn't lost the side and that we still have a playing group playing for each other. So I will be watching with interest to see what we dish up.
For the life of me I can’t see how rolling out a NSW Cup team against the Storm when we are desperate for momentum to save our season is a “Good Thing” ? :shock:
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 2:16 pm
Azza wrote: May 17, 2021, 1:58 pm There will be far too much prancing. Not nearly enough dancing.

Storm by 72.
With or without tutus?
Wah grumble grumble I'm offended, sexism something, wah
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Fox Sports:

Canberra captain Jarrod Croker has suffered another injury setback which is set to rule him out indefinitely.

The club revealed on Monday the veteran centre has recovered from his shoulder issues, but is now having treatment on an ongoing knee problem. He will be assessed each week to determine if he is fit enough to play.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Medical retirement edging closer?

On one hand it gives Kris a spot in the team. Tough break for Croker though.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I absolutely felt sick when I read that this afternoon. That would be too cruel and horrible an end, if this is where it is going. Hopefully they're just using this opportunity to get him fully right and then he can manage to come back and lead us home strong...
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If Kris is still playing footy for us in 8 years time, i wonder if him getting chewed up and spat out by Will Hopoate will be brought up as often as a 20 year old Croker getting his **** handed to him by a 33 year old MacDougall has over the years.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 7:07 pm If Kris is still playing footy for us in 8 years time, i wonder if him getting chewed up and spat out by Will Hopoate will be brought up as often as a 20 year old Croker getting his **** handed to him by a 33 year old MacDougall has over the years.
I remember that game in 2011.
Croker got far more schooled, but who cares, he got far better the following year.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

1992 wrote: May 17, 2021, 7:16 pm
Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 7:07 pm If Kris is still playing footy for us in 8 years time, i wonder if him getting chewed up and spat out by Will Hopoate will be brought up as often as a 20 year old Croker getting his **** handed to him by a 33 year old MacDougall has over the years.
Croker got far more schooled, but who cares, he got far better the following year.
He did. But Will Hopoate and even a 33ish Adam MacDougall are in different classes of footballers
Anyways, just a thought i had just then reading about the benefits of Croker being out and handing that job to Kris... i really like Kris, think he's got a lot of really strong attributes and i think he will certainly get better with more time. He's got some things to work on though. Hopefully he can make the step ups
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:
1992 wrote: May 17, 2021, 7:16 pm
He did. But Will Hopoate and even a 33ish Adam MacDougall are in different classes of footballers
Anyways, just a thought i had just then reading about the benefits of Croker being out and handing that job to Kris... i really like Kris, think he's got a lot of really strong attributes and i think he will certainly get better with more time. He's got some things to work on though. Hopefully he can make the step ups
The lesson he received yesterday has largely been ignored. If that was Croker.... we all know what would happen.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

BadnMean wrote: May 17, 2021, 6:43 pm Medical retirement edging closer?

On one hand it gives Kris a spot in the team. Tough break for Croker though.
Yep, 'indefinitely' certainly opens the idea of retirement, one way or the other. But obviously if you wanted to get out of three years of a contract, you'd want to lay a pretty solid platform. Recurrent shoulder and knee injuries are a good way to do it.

I feel bad that retirement and a spot for Kris were the two first thoughts I had. Sign of the state of things.

But it would be a sad way for a champion to have to end it.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Croker's received so many baths in his time that I don't actually remember them specifically, tbh. Don't recall this MacDougall one at all.

Hopoate gave Seb one on the weekend, which was the first one he's received so far. Hopefully they're few and far between.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Early this year he had some very ordinary moments defensively and actually seemed to learn from it and improve in game, they threw the same sort of shape at him and he nailed it every time there after, which i was super impressed with. So i have high hopes for improvement there, but we'll need to see it before just pencilling him in for the 18 months + long term.

The storm will test him again this week, of that you be sure of.
Last edited by Botman on May 17, 2021, 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Kris still compares pretty favourably with both Scott and Croker for try causes, lb causes and errors. Not doing too bad for a rookie centre forced to play 3 different positions. But everyone is getting a knock on them these days.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah Seb's fine. It's a shame he's come into a garbage team, because we're not seeing how good he could really be.

The way he bounced back to help seal the win after his defensive display is the positive he should be taking from it. Good, hard line at pace, with nice footwork. That's exactly what you want from your centres in attack.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

raiderskater wrote: May 17, 2021, 6:58 pm I absolutely felt sick when I read that this afternoon. That would be too cruel and horrible an end, if this is where it is going. Hopefully they're just using this opportunity to get him fully right and then he can manage to come back and lead us home strong...
Nah can’t see that happening
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Seb needs experience, which is what he is getting in first grade atm.
Sad for Croker, great club man but his physical deterioration has been noticeable...
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

I reckon this could open the door for us to use him as a coach, given that medical retirement needs to be paid out by us. I've always thought he'd make a good backs skills coach, alongside tutoring in goal kicking.

The way he's been able to make improvements to certain aspects of his game during his career is commendable (passing and defensive intelligence in particular), and areas like attacking kick chases, subtle footwork at the line, running holes is something backs at all levels could benefit from. Could really carve out a nice little niche for himself tbh.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm devastated for Croker, 16 games off 300 and 32pts short of Thurston.
I remember watching a foxsports special "all the tries" that showed his up to about 110, there's some special highlights

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 8:20 pm I reckon this could open the door for us to use him as a coach, given that medical retirement needs to be paid out by us. I've always thought he'd make a good backs skills coach, alongside tutoring in goal kicking.

The way he's been able to make improvements to certain aspects of his game during his career is commendable (passing and defensive intelligence in particular), and areas like attacking kick chases, subtle footwork at the line, running holes is something backs at all levels could benefit from. Could really carve out a nice little niche for himself tbh.
To have the career he's had, to have been a strike player and try scorer without any particularly special physical traits, its pretty remarkable. Certainly i think he'd have something to offer in that role if that's what he wants to pursue.

As sad as it is for him, i really do hope this is headed where i think it is. I dont think it would be just for him to go out the way it's looking like he would go out right now. His career and contribution to the club has been significant. He has a legacy at this club. It should be celebrated and applauded.
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 17, 2021, 6:12 pm Fox Sports:

Canberra captain Jarrod Croker has suffered another injury setback which is set to rule him out indefinitely.

The club revealed on Monday the veteran centre has recovered from his shoulder issues, but is now having treatment on an ongoing knee problem. He will be assessed each week to determine if he is fit enough to play.
Wow a knee issue from nowhere? Indefinitely out? Week to week?

Sounds like they are managing him out of first grade while preserving his dignity.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

rayden83 wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:44 pm

Sounds like they are managing him out of first grade while preserving his dignity.
Medical retirement looming
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Yep, feels that way.

The signs are this is the case too. Usually, you'd think a big injury to the captain would require a club statement but so far all we have is a mention in a Fox article.

It's been slipped in late on a Monday when punters are still processing the weekend's results, who's going to the judiciary etc., as well as heading back to work. Then, the next day, it's all about the team lists and the upcoming week, so the Monday stories get forgotten somewhat.

Really there is no reason for an injury announcement (or, in this case, quiet leak) on a Monday because you can just do it on Tuesday with all the other squad announcements.

Pretty sure the club revealed Hodgo's calf injury on a Monday too - EDIT. I can't help but feel it's all a way of managing the news story.

I think things would be different for Toots if we were performing as a team. But we're not, so the fact the captain is approaching 31, out of form and coming off multiple injuries, has a readymade (and cheaper) replacement performing well, and has three years remaining on his fairly lucrative deal becomes a real issue for the club.

And for him. Muscling through injury and lack of form when there's a chance of a premiership is one thing. Doing it when there is no chance this season and a lot of work to be done to put us back in with a chance next season means he'll be battling the increasing scrutiny and criticism and pressure for nothing.

Would be heart-breaking for a guy who's put in so much, achieved so much and clung to the hope of a premiership only to have the opportunity evaporate before his eyes.
Last edited by greeneyed on May 17, 2021, 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inaccurate comment
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The club announced Josh Hodgson's calf injury when the team announcement was made... as it happened that day.

I'm not sure that about 3pm is late on a Monday, but that is when the latest injury report was issued today by the club. We reported it at 3:30pm: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1799826
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:21 pm The club announced Josh Hodgson's calf injury when the team announcement was made... as it happened that day.

I'm not sure that about 3pm is late on a Monday, but that is when the latest injury report was issued today by the club. We reported it at 3:30pm: https://thegh.com.au/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 6#p1799826
Fair enough. Thanks for the correction, GE.

I still get the impression there is more to this. As a long-time Croker fan, I'd love it to be a niggle they haven't diagnosed the severity of yet and see him come back to reclaim some form (and then lead us to a premiership).

However, my optimism is waning by the day and I'm now concerned that his career will end in a way that doesn't do justice to what he's achieved.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:50 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:21 pm The club announced Josh Hodgson's calf injury when the team announcement was made... as it happened that day.

I still get the impression there is more to this. As a long-time Croker fan, I'd love it to be a niggle they haven't diagnosed the severity of yet and see him come back to reclaim some form (and then lead us to a premiership).

However, my optimism is waning by the day and I'm now concerned that his career will end in a way that doesn't do justice to what he's achieved.
Jury is very much still out on what is going on.

However in regards to your last comment I reckon an abrupt end to a distinguished career, whilst sad, is infinitely more dignified than doing a Darius Boyd.

It really is hard to shake those last few years of Boyd's career out of your memory of him and you sometimes forget he was a bona fide rep superstar for a long time before those final seasons.

If Croker was medically retired some time in the short term future there would be very little reputational sting in the tail of the very back end of his career.
Up The Milk
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Kryptonite wrote: May 17, 2021, 6:00 pm
benda wrote: May 17, 2021, 4:51 pm We lose by a blow out - 40+ points or we put in a good effort and make it tight. Nothing in between - e.g. 10-30 point margin I think.

For the life of me I can’t see how rolling out a NSW Cup team against the Storm when we are desperate for momentum to save our season is a “Good Thing” ? :shock:
You've clearly missed the point of what I wrote... this season we are cooked with no chance to contend for the premiership. As for "momentum to save our season" well there is more chance of winning lotto I think.
We might as well be in a position to blood some new players with no pressure with the view of 22 and beyond.

We barely beat the Dogs!
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Ruben Daley wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:11 pm

Yep, feels that way.

The signs are this is the case too. Usually, you'd think a big injury to the captain would require a club statement but so far all we have is a mention in a Fox article.

It's been slipped in late on a Monday when punters are still processing the weekend's results, who's going to the judiciary etc., as well as heading back to work. Then, the next day, it's all about the team lists and the upcoming week, so the Monday stories get forgotten somewhat.

Really there is no reason for an injury announcement (or, in this case, quiet leak) on a Monday because you can just do it on Tuesday with all the other squad announcements.

Pretty sure the club revealed Hodgo's calf injury on a Monday too - EDIT. I can't help but feel it's all a way of managing the news story.

I think things would be different for Toots if we were performing as a team. But we're not, so the fact the captain is approaching 31, out of form and coming off multiple injuries, has a readymade (and cheaper) replacement performing well, and has three years remaining on his fairly lucrative deal becomes a real issue for the club.

And for him. Muscling through injury and lack of form when there's a chance of a premiership is one thing. Doing it when there is no chance this season and a lot of work to be done to put us back in with a chance next season means he'll be battling the increasing scrutiny and criticism and pressure for nothing.

Would be heart-breaking for a guy who's put in so much, achieved so much and clung to the hope of a premiership only to have the opportunity evaporate before his eyes.
It would be a really sad way for a club legend to finish up. Reality is though, he wouldn't hold a centre starting spot in any other team in the comp. Sad by true.

I hope he manages to come back and perform at his peak, but somehow I don't think it will happen.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

It will be nice to have an easy win for a change...Raiders by 12
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson

Post by Ruben Daley »

Mickey_Raider wrote: May 17, 2021, 11:16 pm
Ruben Daley wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:50 pm

Jury is very much still out on what is going on.

However in regards to your last comment I reckon an abrupt end to a distinguished career, whilst sad, is infinitely more dignified than doing a Darius Boyd.

It really is hard to shake those last few years of Boyd's career out of your memory of him and you sometimes forget he was a bona fide rep superstar for a long time before those final seasons.

If Croker was medically retired some time in the short term future there would be very little reputational sting in the tail of the very back end of his career.
Yep, exactly. I might be getting too carried away or not giving him enough credit for being able to reclaim some form. But Darius is a cautionary tale of how not to end a career. I really hope Croker doesn't head down that path.