All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson face bans

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:15 pm
Botman wrote:Had that incident taken place this week, Kikau is sent off, we’d have activated Timoko as our 18th man and we probably win that game

Isn’t that good?
Umm... yes?
Feels that way to me too.
This situation is making for strange bedfellows, my old friend. :lol:
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

It looked like Kikau was trying to pull Brimson's head off his neck late in the game. But I guess it wasn't a swinging arm so it's all good.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

As I mentioned above, at no stage did the referees call held in the Wighton incident. The interpretation requires that the referees call held as a signal to the third man not to come in. They didn’t do that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s your job Peter to get it right.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote:
Botman wrote:Had that incident taken place this week, Kikau is sent off, we’d have activated Timoko as our 18th man and we probably win that game

Isn’t that good?
Umm... yes?
Mind if I smoke?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:55 pm
Botman wrote:

Isn’t that good?
Umm... yes?
Mind if I smoke?
Its ordinarily a deal breaker for me, but i just have lean into things at this point... :lol:
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Not to worry, also a deal-breaker for me. Just felt like the right dirty thing to say at the time.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:51 pm

V'Landys should have absolutely nothing to do with this. Nothing. The Chairman of the Commission is not a CEO. Nor is he the Operations Manager.

The fact that no one significant in the media is calling him out for needlessly getting involve at this sort of level is astonishing. Almost as if people think it's a good thing and expect it.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:51 pm

Peter should just refrain from voicing every thought bubble that first comes to mind...
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:46 pm As I mentioned above, at no stage did the referees call held in the Wighton incident. The interpretation requires that the referees call held as a signal to the third man not to come in. They didn’t do that.
As per your own post explaining the details of it (which is super useful btw, thanks)

Regardless of the point of impact, a player can still be penalised for any ‘forceful, dangerous or unnecessary contact’ at the legs that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession.

"forceful, dangerous or unnecessary contact’ at the legs that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession" 0is basically how you'd define Jack's action.

It was forceful. It was unnecessary. It was dangerous. And it involved an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession.
Ron78
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs

Post by Ron78 »

Botman wrote:
Ron78 wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:01 pm
Botman wrote:
Ron78 wrote: May 16, 2021, 8:14 pm
-TW- wrote:Jack's is indefensible, the player had zero momentum and he's come in at the legs

If someone did that to one of our players and they ended up with a serious knee/leg injury there'd be a riot

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
Zero momentum? So could not offload? Ok……

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was absolutely no chance of an offload. Two of our guys had him wrapped up fairly comprehensively.
He wasn’t trying, he had succumbed to the tackle

Contact was totally unnecessary, completely avoidable, and highly dangerous
You cannot be sure - until ref calls held. Secondly, every player is taught to do that and bring the player to the ground. Slows it down. Did anyone expect a tackle like that to be sin binned this weekend?

I can. I have eyes and i watched the event. There was no chance of an offload
I dont think anyone really knew what to expect coming into this weekend given the edict issued. We did see a few games before us and whatever you think of what was happening, the writing was very clearly on the wall.

Again, the contact was totally unnecessary, completely avoidable, and highly dangerous. Three strikes, you're out.
Ref had not called held. So regardless if u think tackled player could not do a late offload or not, players dont have that luxury. They need to bring player to the ground if ref hasnt called held. If he doesnt and there is a late offload, he gets it from the coach and the fans. Agree to disagree.

Anyways - if thats the standard they want to set and every one of those tackles is now a sin bin (not just a penalty), fine.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yes, firmly agree to disagree.
Hopefully this standard of a maintained because I don’t think that tackle has a place in the game

There is clearly some wild stuff going on this round and I’m not all the way on board with it all. But they sort of tackle, imo, has to go
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Here's the full interview this afternoon. The maladministration is astoundingly revealed over and over.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:02 pm
greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 9:46 pm As I mentioned above, at no stage did the referees call held in the Wighton incident. The interpretation requires that the referees call held as a signal to the third man not to come in. They didn’t do that.
As per your own post explaining the details of it (which is super useful btw, thanks)

Regardless of the point of impact, a player can still be penalised for any ‘forceful, dangerous or unnecessary contact’ at the legs that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession.

"forceful, dangerous or unnecessary contact’ at the legs that involves an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession" 0is basically how you'd define Jack's action.

It was forceful. It was unnecessary. It was dangerous. And it involved an unacceptable risk of injury to the player in possession.
But as the interpretation also clearly, helpfully and usefully outlines, the referee is required to call "held".

This article gives the context: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-01-26/ ... ty/5219412
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

If he’d punched him in the face would you be saying it’s the refs fault for not calling held?

Nope, so it doesn’t apply to other forms of dangerous contact either even if they are more closely related to a legal tackle.

Seriously where has the real GE gone this weekend?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I think those hip drops are worse.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:34 pm If he’d punched him in the face would you be saying it’s the refs fault for not calling held?

Nope, so it doesn’t apply to other forms of dangerous contact either even if they are more closely related to a legal tackle.

I’m explaining what the NRL’s interpretation is... and what should have happened in relation to the Wighton incident under their own procedures.

I have to say, I’ve been disturbed by the direction of the NRL over rule changes and more for some time. This weekend was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I think there’s vast numbers of fans who have the same view. It’s not a minority view, despite the NRL’s attempt to portray it that way. The way Peter V’Landys is overseeing the maladministration of our sport at present is very concerning. In fact, I think he’s at the root cause of it.

Have a listen to his interview from this afternoon. V’Landys admitted the referees have got it wrong this week... they got it wrong last week... the NRL got it wrong by not properly doing this at the start of the year.

Anyway, I’ve explained my view in Through green eyes today and I won’t go through it all again.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

greeneyed wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:48 pm
gangrenous wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:34 pm If he’d punched him in the face would you be saying it’s the refs fault for not calling held?

I’m explaining what the NRL’s interpretation is... and what should have happened in relation to the Wighton incident under their own procedures.

I have to say, I’ve been disturbed by the direction of the NRL over rule changes and more for some time. This weekend was the straw that broke the camel’s back. I think there’s vast numbers of fans who have the same view. It’s not a minority view, despite the NRL’s attempt to portray it that way. The way Peter V’Landys is overseeing the maladministration of our sport at present is very concerning. In fact, I think he’s at the root cause of it.

Have a listen to his interview from this afternoon. V’Landys admitted the referees have got it wrong this week... they got it wrong last week... the NRL got it wrong by not properly doing this at the start of the year.

Anyway, I’ve explained my view in Through green eyes today and I won’t go through it all again.
Agree with GE here. He tackled a bloke who was standing in tackle; above the knee and before the ref called held? It might look a little unseemly, but plenty of tackles do. If he went for the knee...I’d agree...if the ref had called held...I’d agree. But none of those things happened and it’s this garbage over-correction after the Dylan Brown farce, which has brought it all on.
Hope we go for downgrades...
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

“If he went for the knee...”

Mate... that’s exactly what he did. His shoulder goes directly into the area of the knee
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: May 16, 2021, 10:36 pm I think those hip drops are worse.
They are both bad. Both can destroy a player's knee. Have a look at the Lindsay Collins vs Knights. Barnett does the same hip drop these players were penalised for. Collins knee joint was literally ripped out of the socket.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
twistedbydesign
Simon Woolford

Post by twistedbydesign »

Fair charges, IMO. Really disappointing to lose Hodgo for a week, we're not a chance in hell against the Storm but getting some minutes into Hodgo in his new role would have been valuable.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

All the charges were fair
Dont delete this GE
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: May 17, 2021, 8:23 am “If he went for the knee...”

Mate... that’s exactly what he did. His shoulder goes directly into the area of the knee
Area of the knee could be said in any legs tackle? Have to agree to disagree I suppose.

Will be interesting to see if we seek any downgrades.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Wighton hit Elliott between the hip and knee. The ref/bunker reacted to the outcome rather than the act which is what bothers me. If Elliott plays the ball there is no penalty, no sin bin, no suspension.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I actually think of all the incidents involving Raiders players being charged on the week that Hodgson's was the worst and most avoidable.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Wighton - Hit above the knee, the incident was called because of the outcome. He should fight it, but seeing as were playing Melbourne this weekend...take the medicine.
Hodgo - Stupid. Take the punishment.
Papalli - Stupid (given what we saw the night before) otherwise it's a lesser punishment. Still think to be sent off and cop 3 weeks is harsh. He should try a downgrade but most likely cop the punishment.
pickles
Ruben Wiki

Post by pickles »

I can't agree with Papalii being sent for what he did. At any other point in rugby league history it is a tackle gone wrong. It's following a kick chase so they just run 30m to get there, any contact is going to be forceful and the attacker dips with no time for the defender to adjust.

From my perspective a send off should be related to deliberate or reckless contact. This tackle was neither. Players know when they've got it horribly wrong and Papalii's response showed he had no idea that he had done anything wrong. From my perspective that is a dangerous precedent to be setting.

No doubt the pendulum will swing back the other way and similar tackles later in the season will be completely ignored. It is making a farce of the game.

Wighton and Hodgson, both dumb play, take the week and think about playing smarter.

Can't say I'm enjoying the footy much this year. I can't remember such consistently massive scorelines and so few genuinely tough contests between the best teams. Once a team gets momentum it is hard to get it back. It doesn't help that our team is geared towards the grind and not playing expansive footy.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Just you wait for the uproar this weekend onwards when incidents similar to Papalli will be put on report or only a sin bin...given Rugba Lee has come out admitting the referees overreacted...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

pickles wrote: May 17, 2021, 10:02 am
No doubt the pendulum will swing back the other way and similar tackles later in the season will be completely ignored. It is making a farce of the game.
Given V'landys has already admitted that the referees were over zealous on the weekend, it is an absolute certainty.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson take early pleas

Post by greeneyed »

Papalii, Wighton and Hodgson suspended

Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson have all taken the early guilty pleas, following charges from the NRL Match Review Committee. Papalii will miss three matches, while Wighton and Hodgson will both miss one match each.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/05 ... face-bans/

Raiders star trio to miss Storm clash after taking early guilty pleas

The Canberra Raiders will be without star trio Josh Papalii, Josh Hodgson and Jack Wighton for their crucial clash against the high-flying Melbourne Storm.

The Green Machine could welcome back Ryan Sutton (elbow) from injury, otherwise they could turn to youth in Darby Medlyn or Kai O'Donnell. Siliva Havili could come in for Hodgson, while either Sam Williams or Matt Frawley were the obvious replacements for Wighton.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Wiki Special wrote: May 17, 2021, 9:22 am I actually think of all the incidents involving Raiders players being charged on the week that Hodgson's was the worst and most avoidable.
Agree. The other two were part of making a tackle. Hodgo was just stupid.

Jack a bit lucky the outcome wasn't worse for Elliot. Would have copped more than 1 week if he'd busted the knee. Paps could make a case for a downgrade of the charge. Unfortunately the judiciary is horribly inconsistent in this regard so not worth it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Re: Canberra Raiders Josh Papalii, Jack Wighton and Josh Hodgson take early pleas

Post by Danaman137 »

Well with all 3 out, this weekend against the storm is going to be uuuuuggllyyyy

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Storm won't exactly be running a full squad will they? At least Grant, Munster, and Papenhuyzen out?

Not really any excuses for us if we get belted.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:19 pm Storm won't exactly be running a full squad will they? At least Grant, Munster, and Papenhuyzen out?

Excuses? No excuses required!
We’re just proper old school **** :roflmao
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

Botman wrote:
afgtnk wrote: May 17, 2021, 12:19 pm Storm won't exactly be running a full squad will they? At least Grant, Munster, and Papenhuyzen out?

Excuses? No excuses required!
We’re just proper old school **** :roflmao
Hughes, Hynes, Olam and the Fox are enough to blow us off the park on their own with our current form.