Broncos 13+
24%

Total votes: 25

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: 2021 Rd 14 V Broncos: Teams and Previews *Teams p1*

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: June 9, 2021, 8:48 am Yeah i agree too, I dont think Simo is going to be very good or effective at fullback, but i know what Raps gives us... and that's a whole lot of energy, effort, errors and not enough motor to carry it for 80 minutes (in fairness to him few can with the style he plays at)

Simo is probably not going to work, but if he looks like an out and out disaster, you can swap him and jordy at halftime, and Jordy can do that crazy, energetic nonsense for 40 minutes and maybe you get lucky with the errors.

But im with asklsaka on Savage playing wing, really pleased to see him back there where he can continue to hone his craft.
:lol:

Nailed it. The bloke gives it 200% every time.

Love him to bits.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Just to put in in perspective:

Brian To'o debut in round 10 of 2019....
Simo debut was round 1 of 2019...

While not every debutant is going to develop into a To'o, it is fair to say there is quite a difference between the two in terms of quality and as a club we MUST be asking for more...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I’m with Brew... concerned about Simonsson at fullback. I remember that trial match, he played first half, CNK the second and the difference was significant. The only NRL game he’s played there was Rd 25 2019 when all the star players were rested and we lost to the Warriors. Rapana a better option for No. 1, but he didn’t handle it well last time he filled in there.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

They both suck back there, who cares?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

If we're letting this spud Broncos team break the line so Simmonson has to do something, then we should just pack it up

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:17 am If we're letting this spud Broncos team break the line so Simmonson has to do something, then we should just pack it up

Need any help packing or have you got it under control?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BadnMean wrote: June 9, 2021, 6:28 am
afgtnk wrote: June 8, 2021, 11:07 pm I'm glad Savage is back to the wing in NSW Cup, now that Aekins has been dropped. NFI what the club is doing playing him there considering the importance on his development this season, if Aekins is going to waltz straight back into the position. If Aekins being there makes Savage stick to the wing, then I don't want Aekins back in firsts.

That said, Simonsson doesn't instill much confidence at the back either. Doesn't look anywhere near a fullback when I've seen him there. Surprised Rapana didn't slot in, given the short time he spent there last season.
Nah giving Savage more time with the ball, more kicks and defence coming his way, getting him into the game and forcing him to read it. No harm in that for a few games. He's still learning there. There's every chance your winger ends up covering FB for a 15 min HIA or whatever a couple of times a season.

I guess they are trying Simo as last chance saloon for him to show something and unlock some of that potential they must see at training. We know what we'd get with Rapa at FB, all effort, a few good things and 4 errors from trying too hard and being buggered from all the running.
Yeah exactly. Sitting him on the wing the whole time to catch a cold and fall over for tries isn't going to hasten his physical development likewise having him exposed to more pressure situations for a few games will be a big learning experience.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:56 am I’m with Brew... concerned about Simonsson at fullback. I remember that trial match, he played first half, CNK the second and the difference was significant. The only NRL game he’s played there was Rd 25 2019 when all the star players were rested and we lost to the Warriors. Rapana a better option for No. 1, but he didn’t handle it well last time he filled in there.
Simonsson was far better in that warriors game compared to the trial but I guess we'll put a black line through the guy based on a trial performance in 2019 rather than hope he's learned something in 39 first grade games.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 9, 2021, 10:56 am I’m with Brew... concerned about Simonsson at fullback. I remember that trial match, he played first half, CNK the second and the difference was significant. The only NRL game he’s played there was Rd 25 2019 when all the star players were rested and we lost to the Warriors. Rapana a better option for No. 1, but he didn’t handle it well last time he filled in there.
Rapana has the tools to be a good fullback. He gets too far ahead of himself though and overplays his hand. Leads to costly errors.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

The Nickman wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:18 am
-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:17 am If we're letting this spud Broncos team break the line so Simmonson has to do something, then we should just pack it up

Need any help packing or have you got it under control?
:roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

zim wrote: June 9, 2021, 12:02 pm
Simonsson was far better in that warriors game compared to the trial but I guess we'll put a black line through the guy based on a trial performance in 2019 rather than hope he's learned something in 39 first grade games.
I hope he has. But I'm not even sure I'd have him in the team, based on what he's delivered on the wing this year. Guess we'll see on Saturday night.
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

Fill in FB in the past
David Milne had speed, footwork, support play, Nathan Massey had speed, Caleb Aitkens...good ...good play the ball
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

as bad as he is playing, Cotric would of solved some problems
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

Would have.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Elliott Whitehead says the Canberra Raiders are "moving forward" after horror recent run

The Raiders reconvened on Monday after receiving most of last week off, under strict instruction from coach Ricky Stuart forget about footy for a few days, and enjoy time with their families.

"That's what Ricky told us to do, go away, freshen up and forget about rugby for a little bit and come back and move forward," Elliottt Whitehead said. "When we came in on Monday we said we're moving forward, and we don't want to speak about that [off-field dramas] around these places at the moment.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Sam Williams eyes Canberra Raiders contract extension as George release finalised

Raiders veteran Sam Williams is out to prove he is more than just a stop-gap solution as halfback against the Broncos on Saturday, after the club finalised the release of homesick English halfback George Williams.

"You need to be winning games and putting your hand up to deserve the new contract," Williams said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

VIDEO: Williams determined to repay fans faith: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... ans-faith/

PODCAST: Behind the Limelight: Emre Guler: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... re-guler3/

GALLERY: Raiders visit junior clubs: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/06 ... ior-clubs/
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Crusader wrote: June 9, 2021, 3:49 pm as bad as he is playing, Cotric would of solved some problems
Yep good call. Do you actually watch games or just go with the FB vibe? Struggling? He's doing well for any team, especially considering where he's at as a club. People are sanctifying Jordy Raps around here (great bloke) for his efforts lately but his output is actually WAY below Cotric's last month of footy...

That guy with last 3 games stats of : 2 tries, 4 line breaks, 20 tackle breaks, 3 offloads, 140m per game, who makes about .33 errors less per game than Rapana... yeah he's really struggling.

And the stats aren't cherry picked, been pretty good all season. Just plays for a crap club now- the same treatment from casual fans Raiders players can expect again now.

But yeah that 50k extra really looks a dynamite saving now Donny.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Cotric is playing well and the dogs are still somehow bad enough that they lose to us with 12 men.
He is awesome and they arent remotely improved for his addition... that doesnt make you take even a few seconds to think about what that might say about team building and the value of paying wingers top of the market money?
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

If only we’d held onto Brad Abbey..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

-PJ- wrote: June 9, 2021, 7:22 pm
I think Zac Santo is the missing link Peej.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Coastalraider wrote: June 9, 2021, 7:43 pm
Zac Santo played very little for us but I remember him being mistake free.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

We're missing Dimitri Pelo

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

How are we still $3.25 for the 8???
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably cause we're only 2 points out with a softer run home

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

I believe we’ll make the 8.

Jokes aside, I think we will.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 9, 2021, 7:02 pm Cotric is playing well and the dogs are still somehow bad enough that they lose to us with 12 men.
He is awesome and they arent remotely improved for his addition... that doesnt make you take even a few seconds to think about what that might say about team building and the value of paying wingers top of the market money?
Well look where our great value back 5 have us. We used to have Raps and BJ in our back 5 on decent coin. We can and should have some quality in our back 5. Yes you need a budget player or 2 in there but you also need some star factor. Melbourne just bought Coates to replace JAC. They aren't skimping there with Paps and Coates.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Coates signed on for 150k LESS than what Cotric signed for. And is exactly the offer we were willing to go to for him.

This idea that if we’d have come stumped up another 50k, that he’d have stayed in Canberra for 550k and given up 100k and living in the city he wanted to be in is absolutely fantasy stuff

He wanted us to come up on our offer, and reportedly tried to get the roosters involved to leverage as much money as he could at a Sydney club

What is even more fanciful is the concept that the 2021 problems wouldn’t exist if we just had nick Cotric :lol:
The Nickman
Mal Meninga

Post by The Nickman »

-PJ- wrote:
He was also win-free
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

The Nickman wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:54 am
-PJ- wrote:
He was also win-free
Yeah and...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:13 pm Probably cause we're only 2 points out with a softer run home

We will win more than we lose in the run home. Two games against Manly will be the key. Need to get a few speedy Raiders fans to challenge Turbo for a race up The Corso before those games.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Northern Raider wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:16 am
-TW- wrote: June 9, 2021, 11:13 pm Probably cause we're only 2 points out with a softer run home

We will win more than we lose in the run home. Two games against Manly will be the key. Need to get a few speedy Raiders fans to challenge Turbo for a race up The Corso before those games.
The Manly game is before origin 3 so Turbo, his brother and DCE won’t be playing.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Bay53 wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:29 am

The Manly game is before origin 3 so Turbo, his brother and DCE won’t be playing.
Well..there’s a win.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Making the 8 is a moot point if we can't win this one IMO.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: June 10, 2021, 7:15 am Coates signed on for 150k LESS than what Cotric signed for. And is exactly the offer we were willing to go to for him.

This idea that if we’d have come stumped up another 50k, that he’d have stayed in Canberra for 550k and given up 100k and living in the city he wanted to be in is absolutely fantasy stuff

He wanted us to come up on our offer, and reportedly tried to get the roosters involved to leverage as much money as he could at a Sydney club

What is even more fanciful is the concept that the 2021 problems wouldn’t exist if we just had nick Cotric :lol:
Bingo.

(Although having Cotric would definitely have helped us this season, not having him here has highlighted some of the fundamental deficiencies in our squad.)
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 10, 2021, 11:03 am Making the 8 is a moot point if we can't win this one IMO.
It's a moot point either way, we will be cannon fodder even if we did make the 8 by some miracle.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Bay53 wrote: June 10, 2021, 8:29 am