Canberra Raiders won't be signing Sharks half Shaun Johnson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by kiwi raider »

Yea dogs or brisbane would be favourites but Depends if he wants to completely write off the chance of winning a premiership before he retires.
We're not exactly likely to but theres a much bigger chance at canberra than there is a Belmore
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 12:12 am
afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:35 pm Well yeah.... but we're talking the reality of the situation, as it is right now - and it's not close IMO.

Brooks gives us more longevity and a good injury history. Plus, I think with the way he plays he's probably a better fit than Johnson. If people are wanting an 'organising' half, then that's what Brooks is. With a high quality fullback he could go to another level IMO. It's what he's lacked big time, apart from a decent pack.

Signing a guy on big money, only for him to get injured for 6-10 games a year is just a potential season killer. We don't need that.
I'm excited if Johnson joins us, not Brooks. Brooks doesn't get injured as he doesn't tackle or run with the ball. And he has a **** kicking game. He's the only half that hasn't played finals footy over 100 games. Played 160 games, no finals in a 8 teams finals era. **** ****
I think people have a 2014 version of Luke Brooks stuck in their heads, or some kinda caricature. Must not have properly watched him play recently.

Doesn't run the ball? He's averaging the same amount of metres of Jack this season. Third most for a halfback behind Cleary and Hughes. Takes the line on quite well actually - direct and accelerates into gaps. His stocky frame helps him a lot.

As for his defence, he's improved quite a lot. He's not gonna be George Williams, but he's effective. Certainly not the liability he was before.

**** kicking game? He's second in halfbacks for forced drop outs behind Cleary.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I have watched Luke Brooks over the past few years and I agree with a lot of that

But to call him effective defensively is… yeah, that’s not it :lol:
He is still a consistent game in, game out liability defensively. If you sign Brooks, you just kind of have to accept that part of his game. It is what it is.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

afgtnk wrote: June 5, 2021, 8:50 am
afgtnk wrote: June 4, 2021, 10:35 pm Well yeah.... but we're talking the reality of the situation, as it is right now - and it's not close IMO.

Brooks gives us more longevity and a good injury history. Plus, I think with the way he plays he's probably a better fit than Johnson. If people are wanting an 'organising' half, then that's what Brooks is. With a high quality fullback he could go to another level IMO. It's what he's lacked big time, apart from a decent pack.

Signing a guy on big money, only for him to get injured for 6-10 games a year is just a potential season killer. We don't need that.
I'm excited if Johnson joins us, not Brooks. Brooks doesn't get injured as he doesn't tackle or run with the ball. And he has a **** kicking game. He's the only half that hasn't played finals footy over 100 games. Played 160 games, no finals in a 8 teams finals era. **** ****
I think people have a 2014 version of Luke Brooks stuck in their heads, or some kinda caricature. Must not have properly watched him play recently.

Doesn't run the ball? He's averaging the same amount of metres of Jack this season. Third most for a halfback behind Cleary and Hughes. Takes the line on quite well actually - direct and accelerates into gaps. His stocky frame helps him a lot.

As for his defence, he's improved quite a lot. He's not gonna be George Williams, but he's effective. Certainly not the liability he was before.

What does he do better than johnson? Apart from fitness i struggle to see anything.

Also not a goal kicker, kicked 2 goals his entire career, whos kicking goals for us next year if crokers out the door as it looks like.

Also never played on the right side as far as i can see so again we'd have 2 left side halves.

some stats from the last 2 full seasons(2019 and 2020)
try assists Johnson 39 Brooks 19
Forced Drop Outs Johnson 33 Brooks 21

And johnson has played 7 less games

Even If you include 2021 where johnson has hardly played
Games played johnson 38 Brooks 54
Try Assits johnson 41 Brooks 30
Drop outs johnson 38 Brooks 31
So brooks has 16 extra games and produced significantly less output

If we want to improve our attack and take a risk with the hope of being a contender you go Johnson, if you want to tread water and hope to be a fringe top 8 side you go Brooks.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Alphabet, I actually respect your football analysis but we don't agree on this one. You can quote statistics; it's like someone quoting Aekins was second behind Dylan Edwards a few weeks ago in average kick return metres per match. Brooks is ****. I would not take him even if he's first in every category. His team, the one he's supposed to lead around the park, has never ever made the finals with him as halfback. 160 games according to wiki. I'll give you that I have noticed him taking on the line more this season (eg Roosters game when they were flogged - but still ineffective). I have watched him in some matches this year. Very inconsistent. Was perhaps the worst player on the field v Cowboys when Cows led by 20 odd in the first half. Then looked great at magic round. Ricky is stubborn, blames winning or losing on luck, but he's not stupid enough to buy Brooks.
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

God lord how far we have we fallen where we would seriously consider taking brooks, id genuinely take Josh Mcrone before I took brooks. I'm not a fan of Johnson but he's the best of a bad bunch and his game suits the way the game has evolved, to me it does hinge on hodgo still being there, with him he can direct us around a bit, if he's gone and our 6, 7 and 9 are more runners and simple ball distributors then we are going to be in trouble
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
Hazza
Chris O'Sullivan
Favourite Player: Adam Clydesdale

Post by Hazza »

Brooks cops a bad rap. Isn't anywhere near as bad as people make out. I wouldn't be leaping for joy if we end up with him but it'd be far from a disaster. Would obviously prefer Johnson. On that, can anyone confirm Stick was spotted in the shire with SJ yesterday arvo?
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 10:00 am

What does he do better than johnson? Apart from fitness i struggle to see anything.

Also not a goal kicker, kicked 2 goals his entire career, whos kicking goals for us next year if crokers out the door as it looks like.

Also never played on the right side as far as i can see so again we'd have 2 left side halves.

If we want to improve our attack and take a risk with the hope of being a contender you go Johnson, if you want to tread water and hope to be a fringe top 8 side you go Brooks.
Where did the Sharks finish vs the Tigers??? Having cattle around you helps.

Brooks is arguably the 3rd best half in the game, statistically, this yr behind Cleary and DCE. Afgjkj has the numbers over in the Dufty thread.

These are his stats/ team output the last 4yrs:
Sharks 2020 - 13th. SJ played 16 games. Only 56% win ratio. So he was only worth 6% at 800k a yr.

2019 - 7th with a 50% record - we beat them 1st wk of finals. Played 18 games 44% win rate.

2018 Warriors 8th - Penrith beat them wk 1 of finals. 19 games 63% win. (His best win rate in his career)

2017 NZ 14th. 17 games 39% Win rate.

So, looking at his vs team results, his figures, mean precisely zip!

His career win rate is 47%. Is only over 50% 3 times in his career.

The 2 above factors are a big part of why NZ got rid of him. Also, far too much $$$ for those non results.

He misses games. It's at 78% the last couple of yrs. This is why Sharks said he can walk.

So...
While most/many will argue he is the better player, I'm not paying more money to a guy who doesn't play.

Also, people bag on Brooks for his defence, Brooks in 13 games, has 37 misses, 82% efficiency and 8 try causes.
VS
SJ, in 4 games, has 10 missed tackles, 78% efficiency, 3 try causes. Extrapolate that out to 13 games (to get those 13, you need to realise it's probably more like 11 or 12 games due to his lack of availability) = 33 misses, 10 try causes.

Not very different at all.

Both on 800K plus currently. Sounds like SJ wants 2yrs and 700k+++. While I reckon you could get Brooks in that 600-700k region for 2+yrs.

As for GKing, Brooks can kick. He has just always had a guy who is better, ie Moses, Mbye, Douehi, etc. He was the GKer til Douehi played this yr.

As for right vs left, he does seem to prefer the left, but Brooks has played as a genuine 1st receiver for 2yrs now. He pops up on the right a lot. Last night I took particular notice. I think he could play right comfortably. Can step off both feet too, unlike Jack.

So, I'm softening on the idea. I see potential, and believe he is the best currently available, even if not 100% convinced.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: June 5, 2021, 3:39 pm
kiwi raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 10:00 am

Where did the Sharks finish vs the Tigers??? Having cattle around you helps.

Brooks is arguably the 3rd best half in the game, statistically, this yr behind Cleary and DCE. Afgjkj has the numbers over in the Dufty thread.

These are his stats/ team output the last 4yrs:
Sharks 2020 - 13th. SJ played 16 games. Only 56% win ratio. So he was only worth 6% at 800k a yr.

2019 - 7th with a 50% record - we beat them 1st wk of finals. Played 18 games 44% win rate.

2018 Warriors 8th - Penrith beat them wk 1 of finals. 19 games 63% win. (His best win rate in his career)

2017 NZ 14th. 17 games 39% Win rate.

So, looking at his vs team results, his figures, mean precisely zip!

His career win rate is 47%. Is only over 50% 3 times in his career.

The 2 above factors are a big part of why NZ got rid of him. Also, far too much $$$ for those non results.

He misses games. It's at 78% the last couple of yrs. This is why Sharks said he can walk.

So...
While most/many will argue he is the better player, I'm not paying more money to a guy who doesn't play.

Also, people bag on Brooks for his defence, Brooks in 13 games, has 37 misses, 82% efficiency and 8 try causes.
VS
SJ, in 4 games, has 10 missed tackles, 78% efficiency, 3 try causes. Extrapolate that out to 13 games (to get those 13, you need to realise it's probably more like 11 or 12 games due to his lack of availability) = 33 misses, 10 try causes.

Not very different at all.

Both on 800K plus currently. Sounds like SJ wants 2yrs and 700k+++. While I reckon you could get Brooks in that 600-700k region for 2+yrs.

As for GKing, Brooks can kick. He has just always had a guy who is better, ie Moses, Mbye, Douehi, etc. He was the GKer til Douehi played this yr.

As for right vs left, he does seem to prefer the left, but Brooks has played as a genuine 1st receiver for 2yrs now. He pops up on the right a lot. Last night I took particular notice. I think he could play right comfortably. Can step off both feet too, unlike Jack.

So, I'm softening on the idea. I see potential, and believe he is the best currently available, even if not 100% convinced.
Great stats matt now can you tell me brooks career win rate % and how many times in his career he has had better than 50% win rate for a season?

Also how many finals games has he played in and won? Got his team to a grand final before? Has he won world cups/test series for his massive underdog international side in the past playing staring roles when he finnaly had decent forwards to play behind?

Just wanting to work out why you'd pick a natural left side player whos not a proven goal kicker at all and who has far poorer attacking stats to partner wighton. Apart from "i think he cam kick goals and i think he can play right side"
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Respectfully, the Tigers have a perennially crap team. Brooks is doing very well to get those stats imo. I think he's a solid, reasonable first grade halfback. Unfortunately if you're a halfback and not a rep player or future immortal, people think you're crap. I'd put SJ in the same category actually. Both maligned more because of the expectations on them (to become superstars), rather than their actual output
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 5, 2021, 6:54 pm Respectfully, the Tigers have a perennially crap team. Brooks is doing very well to get those stats imo. I think he's a solid, reasonable first grade halfback. Unfortunately if you're a halfback and not a rep player or future immortal, people think you're crap. I'd put SJ in the same category actually. Both maligned more because of the expectations on them (to become superstars), rather than their actual output
Yea thats probably fair. Honestly though same goes for johnson, some of those warriors teams were absolutely woeful. They were a basket case recruiting guys like dane Neilson, matt allwood, jonathan Wright, gerard Beale, jeff Robson and thats not even mentioning guys that were on big money and way past there best like adam Blair, Foran, Isaac Luke, Tomkins, Ryan Hoffman etc
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

We apparently have lost interest in him given his wage expectations.

Canberra Raiders cool on Shaun Johnson, given his salary demands

The Rabbitohs and Bulldogs are showing interest in signing Sharks half Shaun Johnson, but one team who will not be making a bid for the playmaker is the Raiders who cooled their interests amid Johnson’s wage demands. The Warriors have also been put off by his salary request.

Read more: https://www.zerotackle.com/new-club-ent ... 05183/amp/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

900k? Tell him he's dreaming
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

If he's asking 900k I'm not surprised we pulled out.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Would be staggered if hes expecting that much, id be stunned if the Rabbits offered much more than half of that.

Hes the best half option on the market but hes not worth 900k anymore. You'd be hoping to get him for less than what williams was going to be on next year
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

$900k

The guy is being dumped by the Sharks and he still wants a premium salary.

Please.

:lol:
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

No thanks.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

If Nicho Hynes is worth $600,000, I'd say Shaun Johnson is worth about $400-500,000. No more.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 5, 2021, 6:36 am
hrundi89 wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:14 pm OMG HE HATES CANBERRA HES THE DEVIL I LOVE CANBERRA SO HIS ONE TIME COMMENT MAKES ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF SO HES A TERRIBLE PERSON AND I DONT WANT HIM PLAYING AT THE RAIDERS.

Have I summed it up well?
Yeah, nah.

It's about the fact he has previously expressed zero interest in coming to Canberra.

If Canterbury are genuinely keen on him he's a million to one coming here, much like Hynes was. Good for his manager to throw us a bone though, in the hope of getting his client into a bidding war.
People change their minds sometimes champ.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Great talent, but not paying 900k for a 31 year old who's fit for 16 games a year and has been extremely inconsistent form wise throughout his entire career.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 6, 2021, 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah that's a big fat no at that price.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by gangrenous »

hrundi89 wrote:People change their minds sometimes champ.
Haaaaaave you met Botman? Image
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

hrundi89 wrote: June 6, 2021, 7:04 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: June 5, 2021, 6:36 am
hrundi89 wrote: June 4, 2021, 12:14 pm OMG HE HATES CANBERRA HES THE DEVIL I LOVE CANBERRA SO HIS ONE TIME COMMENT MAKES ME FEEL BAD ABOUT MYSELF SO HES A TERRIBLE PERSON AND I DONT WANT HIM PLAYING AT THE RAIDERS.

Have I summed it up well?
Yeah, nah.

It's about the fact he has previously expressed zero interest in coming to Canberra.

If Canterbury are genuinely keen on him he's a million to one coming here, much like Hynes was. Good for his manager to throw us a bone though, in the hope of getting his client into a bidding war.
People change their minds sometimes champ.
Thanks for that champ.

I'm not changing mine. It's a big fat no from me.

He's not playing for the Raiders and he was never going to. He is trying to drive his asking price up.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: June 5, 2021, 7:45 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: June 5, 2021, 6:54 pm Respectfully, the Tigers have a perennially crap team. Brooks is doing very well to get those stats imo. I think he's a solid, reasonable first grade halfback. Unfortunately if you're a halfback and not a rep player or future immortal, people think you're crap. I'd put SJ in the same category actually. Both maligned more because of the expectations on them (to become superstars), rather than their actual output
Yea thats probably fair. Honestly though same goes for johnson, some of those warriors teams were absolutely woeful. They were a basket case recruiting guys like dane Neilson, matt allwood, jonathan Wright, gerard Beale, jeff Robson and thats not even mentioning guys that were on big money and way past there best like adam Blair, Foran, Isaac Luke, Tomkins, Ryan Hoffman etc
I realise u r being facetious, but Brooks career win % is 41.88%. Over 50% twice. Tigers come 9th, so I suspect no finals, for no wins, and certainly no internationals.

Doesn't make buying SJ a good deal, for all those things I've listed.

Now, if you read everything I've said, I also never said Brooks is good, but I did say best option available, as a total package.
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

He was never going to come to canberra, they tried the old " oh canberra is desperate for a half, even though i wont go there ill put down a big asking price and they will be to desperate so will be interested, but its only to add alittle more from another club i want to go to whos paying far less"

But canberra doesnt play those games anymore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Matt wrote: June 6, 2021, 7:19 pm
I realise u r being facetious, but Brooks career win % is 41.88%. Over 50% twice. Tigers come 9th, so I suspect no finals, for no wins, and certainly no internationals.

Now, if you read everything I've said, I also never said Brooks is good, but I did say best option available, as a total package.
Wait surely your not counting 2013 as a season he had a better than 50% win rate? He played 1 game against the 14th placed dragons, you cant count a season where he played 1 game surely!
The other you must be referring must be 2018? where he also didn't have better than 50% win rate, he had exactly 50%
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 6, 2021, 7:06 pm
hrundi89 wrote:People change their minds sometimes champ.
Haaaaaave you met Botman? Image
He did say people
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Anyone discounting Luke Brooks based on his winning %, yet advocating for Shaun Johnson seriously needs to look at the facts.

https://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/play ... mmary.html

Johnson has won more than 50% of his games in 3 seasons out of 11. The guy is a good running half, but he has a career 47% winning record - even worse in his limited finals appearances. He's not even close to being a winner.

It's all irrelevant though. People have made up their minds one way or another.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Winning % is objectively a miserable **** way to try to judge a player in a sport where he's 1 of 17 players per game
Halfback is important and contributes more to those wins and loses than most positions, not to a level where the win/loss ratio is owned by them

A good halfback can be good in a bad team. A bad halfback can be bad in a good team. This is nonsense analysis.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Correct. No player should be discounted based on the results of the team they play for.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 6, 2021, 8:08 pm

Anyone discounting Luke Brooks based on his winning %, yet advocating for Shaun Johnson seriously needs to look at the facts.

Johnson has won more than 50% of his games in 3 seasons out of 11. The guy is a good running half, but he has a career 47% winning record - even worse in his limited finals appearances. He's not even close to being a winner.

I never introduced win % etc in to the discussion. Both players have been part of **** teams most of there careers. Matt was claiming Johnsons win% stats as a reason not to go for johnson while pushing for Brooks, whose win% stats are much worse...
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

kiwi raider wrote: June 6, 2021, 8:16 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: June 6, 2021, 8:08 pm

I never introduced win % etc in to the discussion. Both players have been part of **** teams most of there careers. Matt was claiming Johnsons win% stats as a reason not to go for johnson while pushing for Brooks, whose win% stats are much worse...
Not quite. Its 1 of a number of factors against both players. Never said pick Brooks over SJ based solely on win %.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

This thread is hilarious...
Haven’t read a single report with a quote in it saying we are interested...
Same with Brooks..
I hope neither arrives..
woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Re: Canberra Raiders cool on Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by woppadingo »

OMG IT WILL BE PEAK raiders to recruit Luke brooks!!!!

BTW hasn't Shaun Johnson won a golden boot??
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Re: Canberra Raiders cool on Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by Mickey_Raider »

If I had to guess I would say that he put a big fat Raiders tax on his demand to us as we would be at the bottom of his preference list.

Now we can save face and walk away saying we aren't interested. He was probably never interested in us either.

Although in saying that I am sure he would his attitude would change pretty quickly if he didn't have any suitors
Up The Milk