Canberra Raiders won't be signing Sharks half Shaun Johnson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly interested in Sharks half Shaun Johnson

Post by Dr Zaius »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:06 pm The pieces are falling in place for a Fergo / Dugan / Milford reunion!
Get it done, Donny! Image
Wouldn't that be something!?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:48 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:46 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:42 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 6:33 pm He's the best one of all options available.
Not sure about that.
Never been an organising half and relies on his speed, which diminished after his injuries...
I’d be very cautious about what could be Orford 2.0
Who is a better option then?
Play our youngster..
We’re not competing for the comp next year so why blow cap space on a washed up guy who claimed he wouldn’t like to live in Canberra...
Reeks of desperation...not to mention he is exactly what people criticised George for...not a game manager...
Schneider better than Johnson. OK. Not much I can say to that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

someone above mentioned will to win. That would be my biggest concern. Consistency and will to win.

That said, there are some positives too (as long as we don't break the bank)
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:57 pm
Northern Raider wrote: June 3, 2021, 6:33 pm He's the best one of all options available.
Not sure about that.
Never been an organising half and relies on his speed, which diminished after his injuries...
Play our youngster..
We’re not competing for the comp next year so why blow cap space on a washed up guy who claimed he wouldn’t like to live in Canberra...
Reeks of desperation...not to mention he is exactly what people criticised George for...not a game manager...
No. I said I'd play Schneider instead of buying Johnson for the reasons mentioned.
You haven't comprehended my comments at all..
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Dr Zaius wrote:
Raiders_Pat wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:06 pm The pieces are falling in place for a Fergo / Dugan / Milford reunion!
All month this place has been crying out for a FB, Half and a Winger. This is our moment to fill the voids
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Johnson's only played 20 or more games in 4 of the 11 seasons he's been in the NRL.

Hasn't played more than 20 since 2016.

This really does not bode too well. You pay good money for a guy, first and foremost you want him to be on the park to get the most out of your cap.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:21 pm Johnson's only played 20 or more games in 4 of the 11 seasons he's been in the NRL.

Hasn't played more than 20 since 2016.

This really does not bode too well. You pay good money for a guy, first and foremost you want him to be on the park to get the most out of your cap.
Agree.
It has disaster written all over it...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Would be very disappointing if we don’t show an interest in Dugan... then commence talks.... play out negotiations through the media.... make a juicy offer.... draw it up... get some promos done..... then pull the offer and gift him a 6 pack of cruisers instead.

Get it done Don!
InFernos_Raiders
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by InFernos_Raiders »

Yes but is SJ interested in the Raiders ? I hope he is we are running out of options.
The one fear I have is the return of Milford.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:Would be very disappointing if we don’t show an interest in Dugan... then commence talks.... play out negotiations through the media.... make a juicy offer.... draw it up... get some promos done..... then pull the offer and gift him a 6 pack of cruisers instead.

Get it done Don!
This would make 2021 a more than acceptable year!
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Not sure about that.
so he relied on speed and that has diminished yet he topped the ENTIRE COMPETITION for try assists just last year while only playing 2/3rds of the season?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

kiwi raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 6:46 am
Not sure about that.
so he relied on speed and that has diminished yet he topped the ENTIRE COMPETITION for try assists just last year while only playing 2/3rds of the season?
And the sharks competed for nothing, while he sat out injured for 1/3 of the season (around his average)...
He spent an entire career at the warriors with all the resources and tools to win the competition and barely lifted them into the top 8.
Were asking...no begging for pain if we're seriously considering him as an option...
The meltdown in the Game Day threads might be worth it...
A bad option among plenty of bad options is still bad.....
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Haha. Kiwi sometimes you just have to accept that there are bad judges out there. On the logic that has been sprouted, Tedesco would have been rubbed out of the game before he was 23 and turbo wouldn't find a club. People get injuries. It's an unfortunate feature of playing a contact sport. Pretty sure he played ~18 games each year for the past two years and he looked awesome when he did. And the suggestion that stick won't gel with him cause he is too laid back is nonsense particularly when you consider that he made Croker captain for that very reason.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

If we could nab him and possibly dufty it's a real change, I'm a big fan of CNK but happy to play him at centre.
With those guys in the 1 thru 7 we suddenly have speed.
Considering the players we lose next season the other spot to bolster has to be an edge backrower

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 6:52 am
Not sure about that.
And the sharks competed for nothing, while he sat out injured for 1/3 of the season (around his average)...
He spent an entire career at the warriors with all the resources and tools to win the competition and barely lifted them into the top 8.
Were asking...no begging for pain if we're seriously considering him as an option...
All the tools to win the competiton at the Warriors :roflmao did you even watch them?
He played 1 year under a half decent coach (cleary in 2011) and made the grand final, the rest he was coached by muppetts like Brian **** Mclennan , Matthew **** Elliott and Stephen Kearney....
The forward packs he played behind were absolute rubbish apart from Simon Mannering they were led by "enforcers" like Jacob **** Lillyman, Charlie Gubb, Albert Vete, Sam Lisone, Bodene Thompson, Russell PAcker, Matulino, Feleti I'm not tackling today Mateo, a busted and passed it Ryan Hoffman, and Michael Luck, who could tackle anything but wouldn't put a dent in play dough.

His halves partners were Maloney(made the grand Final) Thomas Leuluai, JEFF ROBSON, and a busted Kerian Foran.

The outside backs at times were complete garbage also with the likes of Jonathan Wright, Gerard Beale, Blake Ayshford, Konrad Hurrell and Solomone Kata , all being excellent examples of things as useful as road cones on a rugby league field
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

kiwi raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:38 am
Not sure about that.
All the tools to win the competiton at the Warriors :roflmao did you even watch them?
He played 1 year under a half decent coach (cleary in 2011) and made the grand final, the rest he was coached by muppetts like Brian **** Mclennan , Matthew **** Elliott and Stephen Kearney....
The forward packs he played behind were absolute rubbish apart from Simon Mannering they were led by "enforcers" like Jacob **** Lillyman, Charlie Gubb, Albert Vete, Sam Lisone, Bodene Thompson, Russell PAcker, Matulino, Feleti I'm not tackling today Mateo, a busted and passed it Ryan Hoffman, and Michael Luck, who could tackle anything but wouldn't put a dent in play dough.

His halves partners were Maloney(made the grand Final) Thomas Leuluai, JEFF ROBSON, and a busted Kerian Foran.

The outside backs at times were complete garbage also with the likes of Jonathan Wright, Gerard Beale, Blake Ayshford, Konrad Hurrell and Solomone Kata , all being excellent examples of things as useful as road cones on a rugby league field
So it was the coaches fault and his team mates fault?
Is that what your saying?
Meanwhile his hoarding the lions share of the salary cap running around in circles like he’s playing Oztag....
Yeah he had Maloney too... a serial winner in the halves and still produced nothing over that part of his career...
He’s on the downward trajectory of his career and you think it’s a great idea to make him the cornerstone of our backline- the halfback....
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 3, 2021, 10:08 pm

Not sure about that.
Play our youngster..
No. I said I'd play Schneider instead of buying Johnson for the reasons mentioned.
OK, I'll ask it in a different way. What has Schneider shown so far that demonstrates he's a better option than Johnson?
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:56 am
Play our youngster..
OK, I'll ask it in a different way. What has Schneider shown so far that demonstrates he's a better option than Johnson?
Nothing, and that’s my point.
I’d rather see Schneider while we target a better, younger healthier option than Johnson..
Someone we actually need (game manager) instead the “best of the bad options” which seems to be the flavour of some of our desperate supporters...
Have a bit of patience... it’s not like we haven’t waited long enough.
We can screw our cap deluxe and end up like the bulldogs if we panic buy declining players on the back of how we remembered them 8 years ago...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:01 am

Play our youngster..
I’d rather see Schneider while we target a better, younger healthier option than Johnson..
Someone we actually need (game manager) instead the “best of the bad options” which seems to be the flavour of some of our desperate supporters...
We can screw our cap deluxe and end up like the bulldogs if we panic buy declining players on the back of how we remembered them 8 years ago...
Putting a lot of eggs into a hypothetical basket. If that younger, healthier, game managing option doesn't materialise what then?
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:44 am

Not sure about that.

Meanwhile his hoarding the lions share of the salary cap running around in circles like he’s playing Oztag....
Yeah he had Maloney too... a serial winner in the halves and still produced nothing over that part of his career...
He’s on the downward trajectory of his career and you think it’s a great idea to make him the cornerstone of our backline- the halfback....
I don't think its a great idea, but i reckon its the best option that "could" result in us being a contender again. Yes he definitely played in rubbish teams, yes he was overpaid, but you don't have to pay him that anymore, you'll likely get him for less than what George Williams was going to be on next year(i'd say 600k you'd be a huge chance which is bugger all for a starting experienced half).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:04 am
Putting a lot of eggs into a hypothetical basket. If that younger, healthier, game managing option doesn't materialise what then?
Then I’m not stuck with a player who has no track record of game management and is on the physical decline...who has also stated his dislike for the city of Canberra and will likely miss 33% of his season due to injury....

I didn’t have us as a “Shaun Johnson” away from a premiership in 2022....

It’s a longer build, whether you see that now or not...

I’d take cap flexibility over declining players every day of the week and twice on Sundays...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

kiwi raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:12 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 7:44 am

I don't think its a great idea, but i reckon its the best option that "could" result in us being a contender again. Yes he definitely played in rubbish teams, yes he was overpaid, but you don't have to pay him that anymore, you'll likely get him for less than what George Williams was going to be on next year(i'd say 600k you'd be a huge chance which is bugger all for a starting experienced half).
You see that is my point...

Why settle for the best of bad options???
What is the obsession with this?

Do you seriously think (looking at the Melbourne and Penrith squads) that we are a Shaun Johnson away from competing with them in 2022?

Be realistic. Build the team correctly with better coaching and younger players around a system that doesn’t rely on the players having to create something out of nothing...

Don’t strangle our cap by chasing a sugar hit for 2022...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:15 am

Then I’m not stuck with a player who has no track record of game management and is on the physical decline...who has also stated his dislike for the city of Canberra and will likely miss 33% of his season due to injury....

I’d take cap flexibility over declining players every day of the week and twice on Sundays...
I struggle to understand this thought process. You would rather keep some cap space and potentially go a couple of years with no 1st grade standard halfback than have Johnson on the books for that same period. Once again, there's not much I can say. You've beaten me.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

The fact he didnt like Canberra isn't really a problem. Who cares that he didnt like Canberra. He made those comments in his early 20s. 2022 would be almost a decade on from his view of Canberra on twitter. All that means is that he might not want to sign but people change a lot over 10 years. I would live in places I wasnt that keen on 10 years ago now.

How often he would spend on the field and the value of his contract is the real consideration. Also he is now 30 and was a player who has a lot of athleticism in his game so he might drop off quickly.

Cap flexibility only matters if you can find someone to sign.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:22 am

I struggle to understand this thought process. You would rather keep some cap space and potentially go a couple of years with no 1st grade standard halfback than have Johnson on the books for that same period. Once again, there's not much I can say. You've beaten me.
You get to see what we have with Schneider and possibly have him play 20 FG games...

You look at free agents from 2023...players we could negotiate with from Nov this year...

Look at other areas of the team that can be strengthened for 2022 and part ways with those that want to leave...

It’s not doom and gloom... it’s a rebuild and if you have stuck along this long for the ride, I’m certain you’re going to stick around for the rest....
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Johnson for 2 years is probably a good idea. It's a risk, but in the meantime we need to have a good development player who can learn from him be ready to replace him.
There are not exactly a stack of 7's out there. So options are limited.

If Johnson stays on the field for most of the 2 years we could do great things within that timeframe. Like other posts... him and Dufty could mean we bring a different dynamic to our game in attack - not just give the ball to Wighton and have our forwards barge over for a try being the 2 sole strategies in attack.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

we don't need anymore more cap flexibility, we'll likely have George Williams, Hodgsons, Crokers, Soliola's, Rapana's salary to spend next year, maybe more if Tapine and Papalii really pack the ****, thats more flexibility than the Romanian gymnastics team.
We have to spend 95% of the cap. you cant stockpile it
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Signing johnson also says to other nrl players that players who previously didnt want to go to canberra now want to. Build a better narrative around the club than is there at the moment
Dont delete this GE
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:00 am Signing johnson also says to other nrl players that players who previously didnt want to go to canberra now want to. Build a better narrative around the club than is there at the moment
It also says, when your desperate you can join the Raiders despite hating the city...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

kiwi raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 8:41 am

we don't need anymore more cap flexibility, we'll likely have George Williams, Hodgsons, Crokers, Soliola's, Rapana's salary to spend next year, maybe more if Tapine and Papalii really pack the ****, thats more flexibility than the Romanian gymnastics team.
We have to spend 95% of the cap. you cant stockpile it
I dont believe we'll have that much cap..
Regardless the same point applies...
Whether you have a tonne of cap room or not, don't blow it on a declining player...
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

simo wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:00 am Signing johnson also says to other nrl players that players who previously didnt want to go to canberra now want to. Build a better narrative around the club than is there at the moment
Too much is being made of this. He called Canberra "boring" in an interview when he was a 22 year old coming to play here with the Warriors. He was a cocky young guy who bagged the town of the team he was playing. Far too many people here have taken it as "I will never play for the Raiders as long as I draw breath".
Drandyt
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by Drandyt »

Dr Zaius wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:50 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:
FerDugFord
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:07 am
Too much is being made of this. He called Canberra "boring" in an interview when he was a 22 year old coming to play here with the Warriors. He was a cocky young guy who bagged the town of the team he was playing. Far too many people here have taken it as "I will never play for the Raiders as long as I draw breath".
Also, Canberra IS **** boring, and the weather absolutely STINKS!

Those two things are pure fact, doesn't mean Canberra isn't ok in other regards.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Drandyt wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:08 am
Dr Zaius wrote: June 3, 2021, 9:50 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:
FerDugFord
Milfergan sounds better
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

The Nickman wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:12 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 4, 2021, 9:07 am
Also, Canberra IS **** boring, and the weather absolutely STINKS!

Those two things are pure fact, doesn't mean Canberra isn't ok in other regards.
Shhh, don't mention the war.