Canberra Raiders interest in Matt Dufty goes cold

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly cool interest in Matt Dufty

Post by sprintman »

T_R wrote: June 17, 2021, 7:46 pm The club didn't just learn about defensive issues. Ridiculous article.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
This.
Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Re: Canberra Raiders join race for Matt Dufty

Post by Boomercm »

Matt Dufty was an out and out reserve grader prior to the new rules. The new rules help him, but his current club - who are bottom feeders - are still happy to punt him. And there's not a stampede to get him. And yet people here want to move CNK for him.

We have been a consistent top 4 side since he arrived (and until this injury) - even this year we were going great prior to his injury. He's a top 6 fullback. There's a few obvious ones in the NSW Origin team ahead of him. But I'd have him before Dylan Edwards. And he's done more for our club than Kalyn Ponga has for Newcastle.

I can understand the frustration at our season and our ordinary attack, but I've no idea how CNK has ended up bearing the brunt of it on this forum. We should be praying for his quick and safe return to the number 1
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

Hearing Dufty is out 'injured' for this weekends game. Expect announcement Sunday night
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Boomercm wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:01 pm Matt Dufty was an out and out reserve grader prior to the new rules. The new rules help him, but his current club - who are bottom feeders - are still happy to punt him. And there's not a stampede to get him. And yet people here want to move CNK for him.

We have been a consistent top 4 side since he arrived (and until this injury) - even this year we were going great prior to his injury. He's a top 6 fullback. There's a few obvious ones in the NSW Origin team ahead of him. But I'd have him before Dylan Edwards. And he's done more for our club than Kalyn Ponga has for Newcastle.

I can understand the frustration at our season and our ordinary attack, but I've no idea how CNK has ended up bearing the brunt of it on this forum. We should be praying for his quick and safe return to the number 1
Evidently it’s not just on this forum, unless you think this website has the power to influence recruitment targets

The club has identified the same concerns that some of the posters on this site have.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

CrabLord wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:02 pm Hearing Dufty is out 'injured' for this weekends game. Expect announcement Sunday night
“The Daily Telegraph is reporting Matt Dufty is struggling to be fit to take on the Raiders because of an AC shoulder injury he has been carrying since Magic Round. He missed the Dragons session on Wednesday.”

See story above.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Irrespective of what has been reported, the club is in no rush here, especially given no other club is interested in Dufty.

We are entirely in the driver's seat. If the club wants him they will pay the minimum required to get him. Not sure what the angst is here.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:08 pm Irrespective of what has been reported, the club is in no rush here, especially given no other club is interested in Dufty.

We are entirely in the driver's seat. If the club wants him they will pay the minimum required to get him. Not sure what the angst is here.
His price isn't going up the longer it takes
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:08 pm Irrespective of what has been reported, the club is in no rush here, especially given no other club is interested in Dufty.

the angst is basically down WHY this delay is being explained publicly, which if accurate would speak to a catastrophic insane decision making process. And whilst to me that seems EXTREMELY Bull, the clubs decision makers dont give you a lot of reasons to give them the BOTD.

But i am firmly in the that report makes absolutely no sense camp and is almost certainly public posturing to get the t's dotted and i's crossed in the way we'd like it given his level of interest.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:39 pm

the angst is basically down WHY this delay is being explained publicly, which if accurate would speak to a catastrophic insane decision making process. And whilst to me that seems EXTREMELY Bull, the clubs decision makers dont give you a lot of reasons to give them the BOTD.

But i am firmly in the that report makes absolutely no sense camp and is almost certainly public posturing to get the t's dotted and i's crossed in the way we'd like it given his level of interest.
The club's decision makers haven't negotiated in the public space since the Kevin Proctor fiasco.

All of this crap seems entirely made up to me. Like suddenly the club found out about Dufty's issues in defence based on one game. C'mon now. Was Ricky Stuart waiting for a phonecall from Joe Tapine's wife?

It's halfway through the season and the club has leaked it's interest in a player that no other club is interested in. If anything, the only reason they have cooled their heels is to reconsider the amount of money they are willing to spend, knowing full well our biggest problem is getting a genuine 7.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:06 pm
Boomercm wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:01 pm Matt Dufty was an out and out reserve grader prior to the new rules. The new rules help him, but his current club - who are bottom feeders - are still happy to punt him. And there's not a stampede to get him. And yet people here want to move CNK for him.

Evidently it’s not just on this forum, unless you think this website has the power to influence recruitment targets

The club has identified the same concerns that some of the posters on this site have.
Influence the media perhaps... Daniel Mortimer anyone?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Finchy wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:52 pm Influence the media perhaps... Daniel Mortimer anyone?
Unquestionably this forum's high water mark
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If you think CNK is a top 6 fullback you'll have to name 10 he's better than, which you won't be able to

I accept he's a mid-tier one. But he's a defensive mid-tier one with (very) low tier ballplaying. That's a pretty big problem when combined with poor ballplaying Wighton, poor ballplaying Starling and a non-existent halfback. I'll go as far to say it's a recipe for failure
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Defensive mid-tier? Defensive top-tier.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Pete Cash wrote: For the record i love CNK. I think he has the heart of an absolute warrior and is one of the hardest working players I have seen.
Maybe CNK having the heart of a Warrior is playing a factor in the Raiders interest in fullbacks...
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 17, 2021, 9:02 pm

If you think CNK is a top 6 fullback you'll have to name 10 he's better than, which you won't be able to

I accept he's a mid-tier one. But he's a defensive mid-tier one with (very) low tier ballplaying. That's a pretty big problem when combined with poor ballplaying Wighton, poor ballplaying Starling and a non-existent halfback. I'll go as far to say it's a recipe for failure
By your own admission CNK isn't the problem. The root cause is that no one in the spine are ball players (once hodgo departs). The club recognises this which is why they are targeting Widdop. I've said this from the start, dufty creates a problem we don't currently have with CNK fit. It amazes me how people blame him for our predicament when him, not hodgo, Bateman, Tapine etc etc is the one player that we struggle to win without when he is not on the field. With CNK at fullback we made the gf, prelim and should've been 4 from 4 this year. He goes down in the 5th and we unravel and yet his performances when he is on the field are somehow the cause of the predicament we find ourselves in. This logic is pure insanity
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

afgtnk wrote: June 17, 2021, 7:12 pm If that article is legit, and this isn't just a negotiating tactic, then that is a massive, massive concern about how we operate. Dufty's defence is no new surprise.

Due diligence should be done months in advance. Statistical analysis, video, going to watch him in person, asking mutual acquaintances about him in detail, his character, how he'll fit into a certain culture, etc. What the **** does the club do when they fly off to all these learning exercises around the world post-season?

May as well put some names up on a board and start throwing darts blindfolded otherwise.
I reckon what has happened here is the club realised after the roosters game that Caleb isn't a first grader. They were looking for someone to fill fullback this year. Dufty was offered by the president and we showed interest only for the dragons to dig their heels in and refuse to lose him this year. Simmonson subsequently has a decent game at the back and now the club is thinking hmm dunno if we desperately need this bloke. I reckon they are managing it well. I know you'd be disappointed and this is not going to come as a shock to you but I honestly think we'd be better off without him unless he is happy to play a Sammy Williams role for us and play only when injuries permit
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

My concern for 2022 is if we lose Hodgson where does our play making come from ? What is the plan there
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Dufty isn't going anywhere to play reserve grade surely.

I think you're right though, club might as well wait and see for 2-3 weeks and see how Simo goes over a few games. Difference between him at wing vs FB was night and day. Whether he's a FG Fb will be hard to tell in a month but might give us a clue or at least leverage negotiating with any other FBs.
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:51 pm
-TW- wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:12 pm It is understood contract talks with Raiders have been put on hold due to his defensive issues. That is not to say the Raiders’ have pulled out at this point but they have told Dufty’s agent Clinton Schifcofske that they will make a decision one way or another following this weekend’s match.
Did we watch any film on the guy? Like did it shock us that he's not a good defender or that he's a high variance player? Are we player scouting off highlight tapes and only now we've got some interest did we go and actually watch the guy play?
What is another week of football going to prove one way or the other?

Either
1) there is some minor hagling over time and money etc to be nutted out and this is just the club trying to put some media pressure on Dufty and Schif to take what we're offering

or

b) we dont have a **** clue what we're doing with recruitment :lol:
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

This saga really is starting to feel like ducks and drakes.

Blind Freddie will tell you Dufty is 80kgs rigging wet, and that means he is a bit speed bump prone.

However, he will also tell you, all the fast kids are doing well. The fast kids who can ball play, are killing it.

So... you take the good with the bad.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Pete Cash wrote: June 18, 2021, 8:31 am My concern for 2022 is if we lose Hodgson where does our play making come from ? What is the plan there
Sorry, did you think we had a plan?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

T_R wrote: June 17, 2021, 7:46 pm The club didn't just learn about defensive issues. Ridiculous article.
Spot on.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

The Behind the Limelight podcast was talking about Dufty's visit last week. If it wasn't a goer, i'd say they probably wouldn't mention it...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting how a club lauded for it's recent astute signings, which got us to the 2019 Grand Final, has suddenly absolutely no idea what they are doing.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:
Finchy wrote: June 17, 2021, 8:52 pm Influence the media perhaps... Daniel Mortimer anyone?
Unquestionably this forum's high water mark
Hahahaha the Daniel Mortimer signing "speculation" was beaut

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

The Nickman wrote: June 18, 2021, 9:07 am
Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:51 pm
-TW- wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:12 pm It is understood contract talks with Raiders have been put on hold due to his defensive issues. That is not to say the Raiders’ have pulled out at this point but they have told Dufty’s agent Clinton Schifcofske that they will make a decision one way or another following this weekend’s match.
Did we watch any film on the guy? Like did it shock us that he's not a good defender or that he's a high variance player? Are we player scouting off highlight tapes and only now we've got some interest did we go and actually watch the guy play?
What is another week of football going to prove one way or the other?

Either
1) there is some minor hagling over time and money etc to be nutted out and this is just the club trying to put some media pressure on Dufty and Schif to take what we're offering

or

b) we dont have a **** clue what we're doing with recruitment :lol:
I see what you did there :lol:

Very good
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

Dufty heading to Super League apparently.

St Helens target Matt Dufty

Super League giants St Helens have emerged as a frontrunner in the hunt for Dragons fullback Matt Dufty’s signature. St Helens is leading a number of Super League outfits which have expressed an interest in bringing him to the northern hemisphere.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/unwant ... 5828p.html

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 5b8e037090
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Ricky and the club Baghdad Bobing all over the joint.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

If we don't get Dufty then surely we have to get a halfback, any halfback

Could be a long year next year
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I wish England would stop poaching all our players and just give the Raiders and the Australian league a chance to develop.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 20, 2021, 12:00 pm If we don't get Dufty then surely we have to get a halfback, any halfback

If It's going to be Simo as a budget Fb option the surely we can contend for a top half- 900k range.

But if Dufty is going to SL then we don't want him as there's no way he'd be on more than 400k or so over there surely? So unlikely an issue about salary.

Maybe his manager is trying to hurry an offer up. There's no actual quote from anyone at St Helens.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 20, 2021, 12:44 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: June 20, 2021, 12:00 pm If we don't get Dufty then surely we have to get a halfback, any halfback

If It's going to be Simo as a budget Fb option the surely we can contend for a top half- 900k range.

But if Dufty is going to SL then we don't want him as there's no way he'd be on more than 400k or so over there surely? So unlikely an issue about salary.

Maybe his manager is trying to hurry an offer up. There's no actual quote from anyone at St Helens.
Reckon your last statement is accurate. Manager playing the market via media leaks.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

The Raiders are expected to officially withdraw their interest in Dufty in the coming days and Brisbane have already made it known they won’t be signing him for next season.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 94166ee3ec
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Ok. So we are running with CNK/Simo next year? Fine, but we need to start recruiting some pieces around them.

A good winger. I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the Savage or current crop basket.

A good half- Johnson or Taylor probably the best bets I can see. But it's a barren crop.

An edge forward.

And we need to either manufacture or buy in a proper lock. The days of picking 3 props instead are gone. Sia and Sutton are props, not locks. Leaves us a bit slow and short of creativity. The position has returned to one that favours mobility and fitness, ball playing or some combination thereof. Wighton or Whitehead could work. Young looked good briefly.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

What a strange cycle of interest this was.
Does not fill me with a lot of hope for a plan moving forward, Dufty was admitted a very big risk so if they've decided not to take it OK, but there really doesnt seem to be a cohesive plan at how they're going to fix this.

Very curious to see what this team looks like in 2022