All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders join race for Matt Dufty

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Botman wrote: June 15, 2021, 9:25 pm Not just unlikely
it's pretty much unprecedented at this point. And again, it's not just really high level ball playing but it's even basic catch and pass, its so rare. The ball dies with him so often and it can not, IMO, be overstated how debilitating that is to our offence, particularly in the red zone.

But he is who he is. And as i've said a number of times now, i absolutely get people who say they'd take him over Dufty. I really do. I think there is a lot of validity to the arguements raised on that side of this. He's EXCELLENT at so many parts of fullback play, and it positively contributes to winning. He's awesome at what he does.

This thing, IMO, comes down to each posters philosophical idea on how to win in 2021 and beyond is. I myself favour offence and i think that's where the game is headed. But i completely and totally accept people who are on the other side of this.
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just playing devil's advocate in that I'm not sure Dufty is good enough on offense to warrant the gamble. When we look at the teams he has carved up this year it has been the Broncos, Bulldogs, early season Manly and the Eels. The Eels was impressive, I'll give you that. I just don't see him as a player who is going to produce enough points against sides like the Roosters, Panthers and Roosters to outweigh his defensive and positioning issues. I don't see CNK as a longterm solution with his limitations, but I'd hate to see us jump on Dufty because he's available and then miss out on a youngster like Ponga or Walsh being squeezed out of another club.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Rumours Dufty isnt training with the dragons today....
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2021, 10:56 am
I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just playing devil's advocate in that I'm not sure Dufty is good enough on offense to warrant the gamble. When we look at the teams he has carved up this year it has been the Broncos, Bulldogs, early season Manly and the Eels. The Eels was impressive, I'll give you that. I just don't see him as a player who is going to produce enough points against sides like the Roosters, Panthers and Roosters to outweigh his defensive and positioning issues. I don't see CNK as a longterm solution with his limitations, but I'd hate to see us jump on Dufty because he's available and then miss out on a youngster like Ponga or Walsh being squeezed out of another club.
I'd add that he was superb against the Storm as well, really carried them as much as you could expect given the surrounding talent and who was he playing
But yeah, i cant sit here and say hand on heart, that you'd be wrong to think that.
I think this is a huge gamble that could genuinely go either way and what you're saying about jumping at Dufty and the opportunity cost of missing some other young talent is a fair point

From what i've heard, Dufty is coming, but if something fell through or that mail was wrong, ill not be as disappointed because as said above, the club seems to be in agreement with people like me who think we need more out of the fullback spot than what CNK can give us. If that's not Dufty, that's ok, as long as they know its something to be addressed.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Pete Cash »

We obviously have no idea how he would go. That is why how much we are paying him is important.

For the record i love CNK. I think he has the heart of an absolute warrior and is one of the hardest working players I have seen. He runs himself to exhaustion every week.

But...we do kinda need more ball playing than he is providing. He does pull a nice pass out every so often but he kills the attack dead more often than not. Maybe this is in part down to our horrendous structure and shape and general lack of speed but it is something that needs to be addressed one way or the other.

If we go into 2022 without Hodgson which i still think is more likely than not we will have very little ball playing at all. This is what the club needs to think about.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The team does have horrendous structure in attack and i think we'd be bottom of the league in moving bodies on backline movements, but to hand wave CNK's ball playing and say it that, just simply doesnt wash. Because we've seen since CNK left that with the same handicaps in structure and shape and lack of body movement, that other fullbacks, who arent THAT better at ball playing than him have been able to create tries that he cant create

This is a two pronged issue. We need an overhaul in attacking structure and coaching, and we need someone who is able to run basic sweep play/block play structure and create out of it instead of just dying with it
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We rank third last for supports and ninth for decoys so you're probably not far wrong.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 11:50 am The team does have horrendous structure in attack and i think we'd be bottom of the league in moving bodies on backline movements, but to hand wave CNK's ball playing and say it that, just simply doesnt wash. Because we've seen since CNK left that with the same handicaps in structure and shape and lack of body movement, that other fullbacks, who arent THAT better at ball playing than him have been able to create tries that he cant create

This is a two pronged issue. We need an overhaul in attacking structure and coaching, and we need someone who is able to run basic sweep play/block play structure and create out of it instead of just dying with it
I agree with the above post.

For the record - I am in camp CNK, I think he is a quality player whom if he isnt our fullback should be a centre/winger for us. That said I am more then happy for him to remain as our fullback as I think what we lose in his ball playing we more then make up for in other attributes.

Wighton - is equally a very average ball player in a key ball playing position and nobody is advocating him to be moved.

Anyone thinking Dufty will solve our attacking issues is dreaming - our biggest issue with attack right now is structure, confidence and intent. We do not intend on attacking off enough plays, we dont have the confidence to take risk and we dont have enough players getting off their bums running decoys. IMO this is mostly down to coaching...Ricky needs a stronger attacking coach.
Last edited by papabear on June 17, 2021, 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Just seen the rumour from an NZ fan Instagram that we've bailed on Duffty. Probably the one that was mentioned a few posts back

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2021, 10:56 am I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just playing devil's advocate in that I'm not sure Dufty is good enough on offense to warrant the gamble. When we look at the teams he has carved up this year it has been the Broncos, Bulldogs, early season Manly and the Eels. The Eels was impressive, I'll give you that. I just don't see him as a player who is going to produce enough points against sides like the Roosters, Panthers and Roosters to outweigh his defensive and positioning issues. I don't see CNK as a longterm solution with his limitations, but I'd hate to see us jump on Dufty because he's available and then miss out on a youngster like Ponga or Walsh being squeezed out of another club.
That's fine, as long as you accept that that's a gamble too. You are waiting for the next young superstar 1) who may or may not emerge, 2) that we'll be able to identify them, and 3) that they'd be willing to come to Canberra, 4) that they don't end up a Milford or Ash Taylor or other young "superstar"

Warriors pulled off a brilliant move by getting Reece Walsh while everyone else was too busy looking at Suaali and Milford etc, but such moves don't come easily
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

papabear wrote: June 17, 2021, 11:55 am
Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 11:50 am The team does have horrendous structure in attack and i think we'd be bottom of the league in moving bodies on backline movements, but to hand wave CNK's ball playing and say it that, just simply doesnt wash. Because we've seen since CNK left that with the same handicaps in structure and shape and lack of body movement, that other fullbacks, who arent THAT better at ball playing than him have been able to create tries that he cant create

For the record - I am in camp CNK, I think he is a quality player whom if he isnt our fullback should be a centre/winger for us. That said I am more then happy for him to remain as our fullback as I think what we lose in his ball playing we more then make up for in other attributes.

Wighton - is equally a very average ball player in a key ball playing position and nobody is advocating him to be moved.

Anyone thinking Dufty will solve our attacking issues is dreaming - our biggest issue with attack right now is structure, confidence and intent. We do not intend on attacking off enough players, we dont have the confidence to take risk and we dont have enough players getting off their bums running decoys. IMO this is mostly down to coaching...Ricky needs a stronger attacking coach.
Absolutely nailed it.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: June 17, 2021, 12:17 pm Just seen the rumour from an NZ fan Instagram that we've bailed on Duffty. Probably the one that was mentioned a few posts back

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
It's nor correct, but it keeps reemerging.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This team actually needs a halfback, not a dummy half trying to play both 9 and 7, surrounded by three running halves wearing the 1, 6 and 7 jerseys.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 17, 2021, 12:44 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 17, 2021, 10:56 am I don't disagree with any of this. I'm just playing devil's advocate in that I'm not sure Dufty is good enough on offense to warrant the gamble. When we look at the teams he has carved up this year it has been the Broncos, Bulldogs, early season Manly and the Eels. The Eels was impressive, I'll give you that. I just don't see him as a player who is going to produce enough points against sides like the Roosters, Panthers and Roosters to outweigh his defensive and positioning issues. I don't see CNK as a longterm solution with his limitations, but I'd hate to see us jump on Dufty because he's available and then miss out on a youngster like Ponga or Walsh being squeezed out of another club.
That's fine, as long as you accept that that's a gamble too. You are waiting for the next young superstar 1) who may or may not emerge, 2) that we'll be able to identify them, and 3) that they'd be willing to come to Canberra, 4) that they don't end up a Milford or Ash Taylor or other young "superstar"

Warriors pulled off a brilliant move by getting Reece Walsh while everyone else was too busy looking at Suaali and Milford etc, but such moves don't come easily
Absolutely. There's no sure thing here, and if you were going to play the percentages maybe you end up going with Dufty. If it's Dufty and an upgrade at halfback I could be convinced.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Bennyinthewest wrote: June 17, 2021, 9:34 am
Wiki Special wrote:The irony about people commenting on CNK's passing issues is it was his ball to Leilua that should have seen us leading in the 2019 GF. Beautiful ball in that instance.
The real irony is you are trying to defend his passing game and are having to go back two years to mention a decent pass

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
I agree regarding his passing game and was not defending it. Just mentioning the irony that the play I mentioned could/should have won us a Premiership.
CanberraJonno
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by CanberraJonno »

The longer we go without an announcement, the more I think it's not happening.
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Personally don’t think we need him.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

CanberraJonno wrote: June 17, 2021, 2:33 pm The longer we go without an announcement, the more I think it's not happening.
There is zero chance an announcement is made this week when we play the dragons this week. If it's happening....announcement next week.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
CanberraJonno
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by CanberraJonno »

Old School Green wrote: June 17, 2021, 3:10 pm There is zero chance an announcement is made this week when we play the dragons this week. If it's happening....announcement next week.
Would be a great unsettlor for the Dragons though
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

CanberraJonno wrote: June 17, 2021, 3:16 pm
Old School Green wrote: June 17, 2021, 3:10 pm There is zero chance an announcement is made this week when we play the dragons this week. If it's happening....announcement next week.
Would be a great unsettlor for the Dragons though
They just got drilled by the bulldogs - they appear to be unsettled...
Finchy
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Any more on this one from your source radicalraider?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

papabear wrote: June 17, 2021, 11:55 am

Anyone thinking Dufty will solve our attacking issues is dreaming - our biggest issue with attack right now is structure, confidence and intent. We do not intend on attacking off enough plays, we dont have the confidence to take risk and we dont have enough players getting off their bums running decoys. IMO this is mostly down to coaching...Ricky needs a stronger attacking coach.
Always a nice sugar hit to have a player join us from a rival - but you’re 100% right. No individual player can fix this absolute mess Rick oversees on game day (and has done for years). Individual brilliance only gets you so far without a coherent system and style of play
The Nickman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Hodgo

Post by The Nickman »

<<<radicalraider has left the chat>>>
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Used to be Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

We need both a change in approach AND personnel. It's not one or the other. Nor do you wait for one issue to fix itself (approach) until you start tackling the other (recruitment).

Classic binarybear think.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

afgtnk wrote: June 17, 2021, 5:01 pm We need both a change in approach AND personnel. It's not one or the other. Nor do you wait for one issue to fix itself (approach) until you start tackling the other (recruitment).

100%
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 17, 2021, 5:01 pm We need both a change in approach AND personnel. It's not one or the other. Nor do you wait for one issue to fix itself (approach) until you start tackling the other (recruitment).

Indeed
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Canberra Raiders reportedly cool interest in Matt Dufty

The Daily Telegraph is reporting Matt Dufty is struggling to be fit to take on the Raiders because of an AC shoulder injury he has been carrying since Magic Round. He missed the Dragons session on Wednesday.

It is understood contract talks with Raiders have been put on hold due to his defensive issues. That is not to say the Raiders’ have pulled out at this point but they have told Dufty’s agent Clinton Schifcofske that they will make a decision one way or another following this weekend’s match.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 9f5744da49
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Warriors just signed DWZ… I have no idea why they would want Dufty…

I couldn’t be more on the fence about a potential player signing.

Pretty much every point made about him (good or bad) is spot on…
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I think the club knows after the DWZ signing that it's likely us or nowhere for him, so we are about to low ball him

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:12 pm It is understood contract talks with Raiders have been put on hold due to his defensive issues. That is not to say the Raiders’ have pulled out at this point but they have told Dufty’s agent Clinton Schifcofske that they will make a decision one way or another following this weekend’s match.
Did we watch any film on the guy? Like did it shock us that he's not a good defender or that he's a high variance player? Are we player scouting off highlight tapes and only now we've got some interest did we go and actually watch the guy play?
What is another week of football going to prove one way or the other?

Either
1) there is some minor hagling over time and money etc to be nutted out and this is just the club trying to put some media pressure on Dufty and Schif to take what we're offering

or

b) we dont have a **** clue what we're doing with recruitment :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders reportedly cool interest in Matt Dufty

Post by afgtnk »

If that article is legit, and this isn't just a negotiating tactic, then that is a massive, massive concern about how we operate. Dufty's defence is no new surprise.

Due diligence should be done months in advance. Statistical analysis, video, going to watch him in person, asking mutual acquaintances about him in detail, his character, how he'll fit into a certain culture, etc. What the **** does the club do when they fly off to all these learning exercises around the world post-season?

May as well put some names up on a board and start throwing darts blindfolded otherwise.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

-TW- wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:12 pm Canberra Raiders reportedly cool interest in Matt Dufty

The Daily Telegraph is reporting Matt Dufty is struggling to be fit to take on the Raiders because of an AC shoulder injury he has been carrying since Magic Round. He missed the Dragons session on Wednesday.

It is understood contract talks with Raiders have been put on hold due to his defensive issues. That is not to say the Raiders’ have pulled out at this point but they have told Dufty’s agent Clinton Schifcofske that they will make a decision one way or another following this weekend’s match.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 9f5744da49
Load of bs..
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: June 17, 2021, 7:21 pm Load of bs..
That's where i lean too, but this club doesnt give fans a lot of reason to give them the BOTD :lol:
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Would have to be smoke and mirrors - surely.

Remember the stories about when George Williams signed, and how Whitehead supposedly alerted the club to him, when really we had him on the radar for months beforehand?
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: June 17, 2021, 6:51 pm Did we watch any film on the guy? Like did it shock us that he's not a good defender or that he's a high variance player? Are we player scouting off highlight tapes and only now we've got some interest did we go and actually watch the guy play?
What is another week of football going to prove one way or the other?

Either
1) there is some minor hagling over time and money etc to be nutted out and this is just the club trying to put some media pressure on Dufty and Schif to take what we're offering

or

b) we dont have a **** clue what we're doing with recruitment :lol:
Playing devil's advocate because I mostly agree... but it could be that they liked him, but thought his defensive issues were more effort related... they might have expressed interest on the proviso that he shows effort in those areas. Then he dished up the Bulldogs effort and they're like ok, if you can't even turn up when a contract is on the line, that's a big red flag... and may have say made them less likely to pay what Dufty's full asking price, rather than withdraw entirely
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The club didn't just learn about defensive issues. Ridiculous article.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.