Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by Timbo »

greeneyed wrote: September 11, 2021, 5:36 pm Wests Tigers eye Curtis Scott but it ‘all hinges’ on Madge call

The Australian’s Brent Read says there is talk former Canberra Raiders and Melbourne Storm centre Curtis Scott is a Wests Tigers target. “There is talk about Curtis Scott. Madge was keen on Curtis Scott from what I understand.”

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... fb036b41e1
'Listen, I know it didn't work out with James Roberts. Or Joey Leilua. But trust me, nothing can go wrong with signing Curtis Scott!'
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Credit to Madge for making signings purely for Season two of tales from Tiger town content.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Post by LastRaider »

Schifty wrote:Credit to Madge for making signings purely for Season two of tales from Tiger town content.
Great call!

Sent from my iPhone using The Greenhouse
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Curtis Scott willing to accept massive paycut

Curtis Scott is willing to cop a $500,000-a-year pay cut to resume his career, with the axed Raider prepared to play for the minimum wage. Without a deal for next season, Scott is hopeful a club will offer him a chance.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... f3a014a906

That implies a very big salary at the Raiders…
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

greeneyed wrote:Curtis Scott willing to accept massive paycut

Curtis Scott is willing to cop a $500,000-a-year pay cut to resume his career, with the axed Raider prepared to play for the minimum wage. Without a deal for next season, Scott is hopeful a club will offer him a chance.

weren't Melbourne kicking in for the 1st 2 or 3 years?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Edrick The Entertainer
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

First two years I believe. Which concluded in 2021
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:10 am Curtis Scott willing to accept massive paycut

I knew the narrative on here of a 400k deal was absolute trollop. Was in excess of 600k
Last edited by julian87 on October 18, 2021, 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Given that he is currently unemployed, is it really a pay cut? He’d be banking on a team’s scouting department having lost the last 2 years of his tape if he thinks he’s getting any kind of deal anywhere
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

julian87 wrote: October 18, 2021, 6:10 am
greeneyed wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:10 am Curtis Scott willing to accept massive paycut

I knew the narrative on here of a 400k deal was absolute trollop. Was in excess of 600k
Yeah there's a habit of shaving 50-100k off a deal for each bad season someone has. Croker will be on 150k by 2024.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 18, 2021, 6:42 am

Yeah there's a habit of shaving 50-100k off a deal for each bad season someone has. Croker will be on 150k by 2024.
I think it was 400k the years Melbourne was topping up with 200k, then we had to assume the whole thing. I guess that stuck.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BadnMean wrote: October 18, 2021, 7:15 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 18, 2021, 6:42 am

I think it was 400k the years Melbourne was topping up with 200k, then we had to assume the whole thing. I guess that stuck.
Well with Curtis Scott there is also the question of who in their right mind would sign him to $600k :lol: So there is some logic in his price dropping amongst fans.

Goes to show how broken our culture is that a guy who is struggling to command $100k was a walk up start for us based on an inability to admit we'd signed a terrible deal.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

That's the problem when salaries aren't made public
fans can only go off what was reported and it was widely reported as 400k with the storm tipping in 200k.

Which can be read one of two ways, however in the Daily Telegraph's highest 100 paid players, the 99th highest paid was Mansour @ 430k, and Curtis Scott was not featured on the list, clearly implying he's below that.

Truest answer? No one **** knows :lol:
There is conflicting reports, if you want to believe he was being paid 600k, there is reports that give you credibility on that, and if you want believe he was on 400k, there are reports that give you credibility on that too

Either which way, he's on our books next year for exactly ZERO dollars and on we march. I note his rumblings of wrongful termination have gone quietly into the night also
Last edited by Botman on October 18, 2021, 8:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Botman wrote:That's the problem when salaries aren't made public
fans can only go off what was reported and it was widely reported as 400k with the storm tipping in 200k.

Which can be read one of two ways, however in the Daily Telegraph's highest 100 paid players, the 100th highest paid was JAC @ 480k, and Curtis Scott was not featured on the list, clearly implying he's below that.

Truest answer? No one **** knows Image
There is conflicting reports
Without salary transparency it just allows journalists to have a field day and make up any figure they want at the time to fit their narrative. No one can prove them otherwise

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It also may have been part of the contract that his salary increased each year...
Its entirely possible his deal scaled up each year, and that initial reports of him being on 400k with the storm tipping in 200k was correct in 2020, however by the time we assume full freight in 2022, his salary, per his contract has scaled up to 600k?

Again, given the conflicting reports, we have no idea
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Curtis Scott. A man more willing to reduce his salary by $500,000 than show some self control in his drinking and anger issues.

BTW I’m dubious of the figure promoted by Curtis, the blokes a serial exaggerator.

2nd BTW. I’m willing to forgo potentially up to 10 million dollars by not buying a lottery ticket.
Conor
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Conor »

Could also be a potential maximum figure if it had rep bonuses included (for example, $500k in his third year with us, plus $50k if he plays origin), and potential third party income his manager was “looking into” (approaching local business owners that have recently been kicked in the head by a horse).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Conor wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:55 am Could also be a potential maximum figure if it had rep bonuses included (for example, $500k in his third year with us, plus $50k if he plays origin), and potential third party income his manager was “looking into” (approaching local business owners that have recently been kicked in the head by a horse).

Everyone has something to sell Conor. Are you telling me you don’t think Curtis would pick up a decent 3rd party payment as the face of “Regrets Tattoo removals”. :roflmao
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Billy Walker wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:00 pm
Conor wrote: October 18, 2021, 11:55 am Could also be a potential maximum figure if it had rep bonuses included (for example, $500k in his third year with us, plus $50k if he plays origin), and potential third party income his manager was “looking into” (approaching local business owners that have recently been kicked in the head by a horse).

Everyone has something to sell Conor. Are you telling me you don’t think Curtis would pick up a decent 3rd party payment as the face of “Regrets Tattoo removals”. :roflmao
:lol:

He might need to get that tattoo'd to make it worth their $$
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: October 18, 2021, 1:54 pm
Billy Walker wrote: October 18, 2021, 12:00 pm

:lol:

He might need to get that tattoo'd to make it worth their $$
In retrospect his tattoos might have given a hint to his lack of ambition. He has a dirty great big tribute to the premiership he won at the Storm on one arm and zero space left anywhere for any sort of a follow up. Clearly doesn’t see a second premiership in his future.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This article certainly puts the gamble on Adam Elliott into some sort of context.

Elliott might have a problem keeping it in his pants with the WAGs, but Curtis Scott screwed the fans in more ways than one.

His level of performance for the pay packet he was receiving was grand larceny. The bloke may have some talent buried in there, but it beggars belief how many chances he got here.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

In today's Sunday Telegraph there is a story of Curtis Scott going to Parramatta.

Surprise new options on table for former Raider: https://www.zerotackle.com/surprise-new ... er-111742/
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

RedRaider wrote: November 7, 2021, 10:29 am In today's Sunday Telegraph there is a story of Curtis Scott going to Parramatta.
Don’t they have centres at Parramatta?
BJ123
Noa Nadruku
Favourite Player: Chicka

Post by BJ123 »

Denis Denuto provided the tip to the Tele.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Colk wrote:
RedRaider wrote: November 7, 2021, 10:29 am In today's Sunday Telegraph there is a story of Curtis Scott going to Parramatta.
Yes. Two decent ones. Waqa Blake is very good but has had regular injuries over the past few years. He can't catch a break, otherwise he'd be amongst the best centres in the game. He's big and fast.

Big wraps on Penisini - how could you forget that name. He looks good. Not huge but I'm not a size queen.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

gergreg wrote: November 7, 2021, 12:45 pm
Colk wrote:
Yes. Two decent ones. Waqa Blake is very good but has had regular injuries over the past few years. He can't catch a break, otherwise he'd be amongst the best centres in the game. He's big and fast.

Big wraps on Penisini - how could you forget that name. He looks good. Not huge but I'm not a size queen.
Penisini size doesn’t matter, it’s how he’s uses it
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

I meant it more as a rhetorical question: as in why would they even consider it. Sometimes you have these players essentially going around at multiple clubs and not showing a great deal; they may have had talent at one stage but their off field stuff has long since taken away any performance they may show on the field

Case in point was Josh Dugan over the last couple of years. He is a **** so he is going to bring negative headlines but if his play is above average then fine it may be justifiable; however, his play was beneath first grade standard. What’s the point? Just take a punt on a kid - he will cost you less but he will most likely improve.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

PJ off to Eels.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

-PJ- wrote: November 7, 2021, 3:17 pm PJ off to Eels.
PJ?
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Colk wrote:I meant it more as a rhetorical question: as in why would they even consider it. Sometimes you have these players essentially going around at multiple clubs and not showing a great deal; they may have had talent at one stage but their off field stuff has long since taken away any performance they may show on the field

Case in point was Josh Dugan over the last couple of years. He is a **** so he is going to bring negative headlines but if his play is above average then fine it may be justifiable; however, his play was beneath first grade standard. What’s the point? Just take a punt on a kid - he will cost you less but he will most likely improve.
Difference being Scott has never been in the same league as Dugan, as far as raw talent goes. Dugan was a tackle breaking machine. I can barely count on one hand the number of genuine tackle breaks that Scott made.

Funnily enough Scott came to us with a reputation as some sort of defensive machine. He was awful there too.

Yeah, they may get some value out of him, bit like us with Adam Elliott. Time will tell.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

-PJ- wrote:PJ off to Eels.
Thought you'd eventually get a run Peej.

Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 7, 2021, 6:11 pm
Colk wrote:I meant it more as a rhetorical question: as in why would they even consider it. Sometimes you have these players essentially going around at multiple clubs and not showing a great deal; they may have had talent at one stage but their off field stuff has long since taken away any performance they may show on the field

Difference being Scott has never been in the same league as Dugan, as far as raw talent goes. Dugan was a tackle breaking machine. I can barely count on one hand the number of genuine tackle breaks that Scott made.

Funnily enough Scott came to us with a reputation as some sort of defensive machine. He was awful there too.

Yeah, they may get some value out of him, bit like us with Adam Elliott. Time will tell.
Yes Dugan was good at one point but a has been and a never was are still the same thing in the present.

Dugan clearly wasn’t any good when he played at the Sharks. He was completely busted. I liked John Morris as a coach and I thought he was unfairly maligned in some quarters; time will tell whether getting rid of him and replacing him a rookie coach is the right call but as with Sticky and Curtis Scott, Morris also should have just put him in reserve grade
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Btw Adam Elliott is a terrible call. An average footballer with off field issues. If you are going to take a punt on somebody, make it on an above average footballer and suitably balance the risk- reward aspect. I hope I’m very wrong though and I’ll sing Elliott’s and Sticky’s praises if I am
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Seiffert82 wrote: November 7, 2021, 6:15 pm
-PJ- wrote:PJ off to Eels.
Thought you'd eventually get a run Peej.

You know it Seiff.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Parramatte Eels in talks with Canberra Raider Curtis Scott on NRL lifeline: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Sacked NRL player secures contract lifeline after ‘absolute rock bottom’ year: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-4499256
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

He can now meet with his "brah" Cotric and go clubbing every weekend. Where's the equivalent of Komoko's that the Westie's go to?

LOL when Timoko break his tackles and HSS beats him on the outside.

Penisini and Waqa Blake are better than him anyway, though he might fight it out with Tom Opacic for the NSW Cup reserves spot.