Moderator: GH Moderators

yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott allegedly involved in nightclub fight

Post by yurithe1 »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:11 am
Raiders666 wrote:
julian87 wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:03 am I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
Matt Orford says hi
Orford is different. He was just broken down. This guy has come in and got himself in “Wrong place, wrong time” scandals since day dot. I would say there’s a case for him being one of the worst.
That's what I was thinking as far as wrong place. If I was at his age, I would not be going to Kokomo considering you had an alleged bikie murder committed there.

When I was his age back in the '80s, there was a death at a nightclub in Dickson called the Copacabana. I avoided that place from then on.

If Scott does stay, Raiders management should put out a list of places players should avoid both in Canberra and when they're on the road. It shouldn't be that hard since some places have become infamous over the years. (Let's save GE and the other mods the heart failure of having to rapidly remove location names to avoid litigation).
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

yurithe1 wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:11 am
Raiders666 wrote:
julian87 wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:03 am I can not put into words how disappointed I’d be for the club to not sack the bloke who’s arguably the worst signing it’s ever made when it’s being offered on a silver platter.
Matt Orford says hi
Orford is different. He was just broken down. This guy has come in and got himself in “Wrong place, wrong time” scandals since day dot. I would say there’s a case for him being one of the worst.
That's what I was thinking as far as wrong place. If I was at his age, I would not be going to Kokomo considering you had an alleged bikie murder committed there.

When I was his age back in the '80s, there was a death at a nightclub in Dickson called the Copacabana. I avoided that place from then on.

If Scott does stay, Raiders management should put out a list of places players should avoid both in Canberra and when they're on the road. It shouldn't be that hard since some places have become infamous over the years. (Let's save GE and the other mods the heart failure of having to rapidly remove location names to avoid litigation).
I remember hearing a song about that, it was a showgirl.. Lola?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Ahh the Copacabana…
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 11:01 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:25 am Doesn't need a police charge for a contract to be terminated. It's about breaching the code of behaviour e.g. cruisers on the roof instead of attending a recovery session, bubblers in a public toilet etc.
That’s my point, the code breach has been there for a week or so if the club wanted to act. There is nothing coming to strengthen the case. If we haven’t pulled the trigger by now we are either being super cautious about how we do it or increasing more likely we are keeping him.
Reckon it's the first scenario. Ensuring they have just grounds to sack him before they do anything.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

These things are never quick processes
You can go back to any of our high profile sackings and you’ll find it’s probably 2-3 weeks from notifying of the incident and official sacking

Even in cases where it pretty much a forgone conclusion.

There is little doubt in my mind that the club will have the ability to terminate the contract if that’s what they want.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 5:13 pm These things are never quick processes
You can go back to any of our high profile sackings and you’ll find it’s probably 2-3 weeks from notifying of the incident and official sacking

Even in cases where it pretty much a forgone conclusion.

There is little doubt in my mind that the club will have the ability to terminate the contract if that’s what they want.
It may be we serve him a breach notice requiring him to respond why we should not terminate. He may even request a hearing / meeting before the Board. We will probably have to give him one to avoid arguments of lack of due process, like with Carney and Cronulla.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Exactly
There is a process to these things, and they do take some time even if you just plan on sacking the guy

If I were making predictions, I’d guess that sometime this week we’ll hear about the investigation being complete and Scott and his representative will be asked to front to a hearing/board meeting either late in week or the following week, where they’ll be given the opportunity to make his case and then the board will hand down the decision
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I think GE is on the money here too

Stuart is usually pretty quick to back his blokes. This is an incident the club could very easily deal with and move on with the player, obviously it’s not good, but I don’t think there is any real pressure on us to sack him, this is not hanging over the club, it came and left the news cycle nationally in a blink of an eye

Just a playing being a bit of ****. We could retain him, fine him, put him on some alcohol program etc and no one would bat an eye lid. It’s not honestly a major incident

So the fact Stuart hasn’t come out and back him the way he has prior and way he has with other players makes me believe this is likely headed a different direction

I could be wrong here. Just my gut feel
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 5:22 pm Exactly
There is a process to these things, and they do take some time even if you just plan on sacking the guy

If I were making predictions, I’d guess that sometime this week we’ll hear about the investigation being complete and Scott and his representative will be asked to front to a hearing/board meeting either late in week or the following week, where they’ll be given the opportunity to make his case and then the board will hand down the decision
Maybe it is the club methodically working through a process that doesn’t end well for Curtis, but I don’t read too much into Ricky’s lack of commentary or backing. I’d suggest Ricky loses credibility if he backs someone so obviously in the wrong. Doesn’t mean he doesn’t see a role for him in the side. Time will tell I guess but the longer it drags the more likely he stays in my view.
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 5:33 pm I think GE is on the money here too

Stuart is usually pretty quick to back his blokes. This is an incident the club could very easily deal with and move on with the player, obviously it’s not good, but I don’t think there is any real pressure on us to sack him, this is not hanging over the club, it came and left the news cycle nationally in a blink of an eye

Just a playing being a bit of ****. We could retain him, fine him, put him on some alcohol program etc and no one would bat an eye lid. It’s not honestly a major incident

So the fact Stuart hasn’t come out and back him the way he has prior and way he has with other players makes me believe this is likely headed a different direction

Not too much different to Cody walker fly kicking someone a couple years back
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: June 12, 2021, 5:52 pm
Botman wrote: June 12, 2021, 5:33 pm I think GE is on the money here too

Not too much different to Cody walker fly kicking someone a couple years back
Difference is most would agree Souths were wise to strategise a way to keep Walker but there aren’t many on the save Curtis bandwagon. But yes I agree - relative teacup storms and no reason to cut him unless that is something we wish to do.
GreenGuy
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by GreenGuy »

I'll preface this by noting I think Curtis Scott has the ability to be a much better player than he has shown us since he joined.

It's now come to the point that there are others vying for his spot that are more deserving of the opportunity to start in the centres.

Matt Tomoko showed glimpses of his potential last season and I'm backing him to now retain his spot in the team after what I saw tonight, he really needs first grade minutes to aid his development.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

GreenGuy wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:55 pm I'll preface this by noting I think Curtis Scott has the ability to be a much better player than he has shown us since he joined.

It's now come to the point that there are others vying for his spot that are more deserving of the opportunity to start in the centres.

Matt Tomoko showed glimpses of his potential last season and I'm backing him to now retain his spot in the team after what I saw tonight, he really needs first grade minutes to aid his development.
With Scott at $400k and Timoko likely on close to min wage, Timoko is so much better value looking forward
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The cannon was set up by Kokomo, it's going to be fired by Timoko.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 13, 2021, 1:04 am The cannon was set up by Kokomo, it's going to be fired by Timoko.
Haven't watched Bronco's game yet but it seems TImoko was a handful with the ball, like he was in his other Fg games last year. And he made THIRTY TWO tackles at 94% effective... at centre... Ricky likes that kind of thing. A lot.

Seems to be one of those guys who goes a lot better in firsts than reggies. Wonder if that's why he got leapfrogged by Kris and HSS over the off season.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Would be good to see how Tomoko goes against better opposition, however it's hard not to get excited by his performance last night. If he can back it up he becomes a better proposition than Scott which in turn could come into reckoning as to what the club does next
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I heard the news that the NRL is likely to put a breach notice on David Fifita causing him to miss SOO 2 for an incident they have been aware of since it occurred in December. Nothing like a quick investigation and swift action - who knows what will happen with Scott. Perhaps he will be rubbed out for a few games on the eve of our 2024 finals campaign?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:27 am I heard the news that the NRL is likely to put a breach notice on David Fifita causing him to miss SOO 2 for an incident they have been aware of since it occurred in December. Nothing like a quick investigation and swift action - who knows what will happen with Scott. Perhaps he will be rubbed out for a few games on the eve of our 2024 finals campaign?
Incredibly slow response on the bybtje NRL. By waitinggso long it should take suspension off the table. Instead issue a massive fine. He can afford it.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:52 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2021, 7:27 am I heard the news that the NRL is likely to put a breach notice on David Fifita causing him to miss SOO 2 for an incident they have been aware of since it occurred in December. Nothing like a quick investigation and swift action - who knows what will happen with Scott. Perhaps he will be rubbed out for a few games on the eve of our 2024 finals campaign?
Incredibly slow response on the bybtje NRL. By waitinggso long it should take suspension off the table. Instead issue a massive fine. He can afford it.
I agree, and also respect your efforts to bring pigeon English into mainstream language goodemworkeh!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

That call on Fifita is ridiculous. How can it take 6 months to come to a decision?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2021, 6:16 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 13, 2021, 1:04 am The cannon was set up by Kokomo, it's going to be fired by Timoko.
Haven't watched Bronco's game yet but it seems TImoko was a handful with the ball, like he was in his other Fg games last year. And he made THIRTY TWO tackles at 94% effective... at centre... Ricky likes that kind of thing. A lot.

Seems to be one of those guys who goes a lot better in firsts than reggies. Wonder if that's why he got leapfrogged by Kris and HSS over the off season.
Yup we need to see how he goes against better opposition. But the way he played last night had a really positive impact on the match for us, much more influence than Scott has had in any game since joining us IMO.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:00 am
I agree, and also respect your efforts to bring pigeon English into mainstream language goodemworkeh!
Typing on phone. I clearly didn't proof read before posting. :opps
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Timoko’ hard running and excellent defence was brilliant to see..
I hope he does kick on and keep the spot…
As for Scott, the club should try and move him, even if we pay a little freight.
Think of it as an investment In Timoko’s career…
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: June 13, 2021, 9:10 am
BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2021, 6:16 am

Yup we need to see how he goes against better opposition. But the way he played last night had a really positive impact on the match for us, much more influence than Scott has had in any game since joining us IMO.

Agree 100%

Rapoko !!!
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Scott is very much surplus to requirements
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

GreenMachine wrote:Timoko’ hard running and excellent defence was brilliant to see..
As for Scott, the club should try and move him, even if we pay a little freight.
He showed more than Scott has in one game, albeit against one of the worst teams in the NRL era

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

-TW- wrote: June 13, 2021, 5:28 pm
GreenMachine wrote:Timoko’ hard running and excellent defence was brilliant to see..
He showed more than Scott has in one game, albeit against one of the worst teams in the NRL era

Agreed Broncos are trash, but I do recall he had a similar game on his FG debut too…
He’s got the tools we just need to see more of him.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 13, 2021, 10:12 am
Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:00 am
Typing on phone. I clearly didn't proof read before posting. :opps
I know - just being a smart A. How did you go last night? The boys got the right result for you, hope you and your daughter didn’t lose any fingers or toes to frostbite!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

GreenMachine wrote: June 13, 2021, 5:30 pm

Agreed Broncos are trash, but I do recall he had a similar game on his FG debut too…
Whoa whoa - let’s not rush these things. Sure he had an excellent debut last year, and yes he set the joint on fire last night, but let’s hold him back till sometime next season and see if he can put three cameo performances together then look at him playing a bench role in 2023 maybe.... it infuriates me that we don’t give these guys a decent shot earlier!!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: June 13, 2021, 10:22 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 13, 2021, 5:30 pm

Whoa whoa - let’s not rush these things. Sure he had an excellent debut last year, and yes he set the joint on fire last night, but let’s hold him back till sometime next season and see if he can put three cameo performances together then look at him playing a bench role in 2023 maybe.... it infuriates me that we don’t give these guys a decent shot earlier!!
I know right?
We’re so reluctant to give these guys a go…
This is the ideal time to let them have a run and gain experience..
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2021, 6:16 am got leapfrogged by Kris and HSS over the off season.
I'm still wondering why HSS is the Saviour. He's even shorter than Timoko... Not you in particular BnM, but in the flesh (the couple of times I've seen him) he wasn't exactly standing out from anyone else. Whereas I've seen Timoko warm up as 18th man what feels like 15 times in front of me.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Fact.

The Canberra Raiders have never lost a match with Matt Timoko playing. 3 from 3.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: June 13, 2021, 11:18 pm
BadnMean wrote: June 13, 2021, 6:16 am got leapfrogged by Kris and HSS over the off season.
I'm still wondering why HSS is the Saviour. He's even shorter than Timoko... Not you in particular BnM, but in the flesh (the couple of times I've seen him) he wasn't exactly standing out from anyone else. Whereas I've seen Timoko warm up as 18th man what feels like 15 times in front of me.
I'm not sure he's been annointed the saviour but he was showing the best form of the lot in reggies before he was injured and seemed to have gone to the top squad first.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

For me, Timoko has been the standout of the 3 based on the limited game time…

Kris has been steady and is obviously learning.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Kris has had his battles defensively, which is funny as I saw that as being his strength in 2019. Looks great with ball in hand but he hasn't really had a break out game where he has dominated his opponent. Happy with his development though, I can't see how Croker regains that left centre spot based on his form earlier this year.