Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Curtis Scott banned three matches and fined $15,000 after nightclub fight

Post by kiwi raider »

the only thing that comes to mind is they didn't sack wighton for throwing about 10 punches caught on CCTV so didnt want the media/public backlash of double standards.
They may have also felt the possibility of sacking him could end up with lawyers involved arguing the double standards of the Wighton case.
Best case scenario from here since it looks like we are not sacking him is we sit Curtis down , tell him he'll never play first grade here again and look to come to a mutual agreement on a release, probably end up paying some freight but i'd rather that than keeping Scott on his full wage and blocking the likes of Timoko and HSS from first grade
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I thought the footage was actually worse than the Jack Wighton event where Jack just seemed to drunkingly provoke and half attempt a head butt for a 10 week suspension.

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kiwi raider wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:54 am the only thing that comes to mind is they didn't sack wighton for throwing about 10 punches caught on CCTV so didnt want the media/public backlash of double standards.
They may have also felt the possibility of sacking him could end up with lawyers involved arguing the double standards of the Wighton case.
Best case scenario from here since it looks like we are not sacking him is we sit Curtis down , tell him he'll never play first grade here again and look to come to a mutual agreement on a release, probably end up paying some freight but i'd rather that than keeping Scott on his full wage and blocking the likes of Timoko and HSS from first grade
This surely couldnt be a thing?
Granted im no lawyer, but each contract is surely treated as an entirely its own entity. If a party breaches the terms of a contract, logically i would think its entirely at the discretion of the other party if they want to terminate... and electing to not terminate the contract but continue to work with that party surely doesnt mean you're legally obliged to extend that to other contracts.

Im sure someone who actually knows some contract law can tell me im wrong, but i'd be stunned if there was any legal reasons for this.
I mean this stuff happens all the time across many codes in many countries and i can't recall a single time where a player has lodge legal challenges...

When there is legal challenges for wrongful termination, as far i remember it is usually on the grounds of the "due process". So as long as he did indeed breach his contract, which I am fairly certain he did, and we follow due process, we should have been fine, bar any PR fall that comes from media people linking Scott and Wighton incidents. (which i think would be at worst a 24-48 news cycle, because frankly no one on a national level gives a **** about the Raiders, or Curtis Scott)
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Botman wrote: July 15, 2021, 11:43 am
kiwi raider wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:54 am the only thing that comes to mind is they didn't sack wighton for throwing about 10 punches caught on CCTV so didnt want the media/public backlash of double standards.
Granted im no lawyer, but each contract is surely treated as an entirely its own entity. If a party breaches the terms of a contract, logically i would think its entirely at the discretion of the other party if they want to terminate... and electing to not terminate the contract but continue to work with that party surely doesnt mean you're legally obliged to extend that to other contracts.

Im sure someone who actually knows some contract law can tell me im wrong, but i'd be stunned if there was any legal reasons for this.
I mean this stuff happens all the time across many codes in many countries and i can't recall a single time where a player has lodge legal challenges...

When there is legal challenges for wrongful termination, as far i remember it is usually on the grounds of the "due process". So as long as he did indeed breach his contract, which I am fairly certain he did, and we follow due process, we should have been fine, bar any PR fall that comes from media people linking Scott and Wighton incidents. (which i think would be at worst a 24-48 news cycle, because frankly no one on a national level gives a **** about the Raiders, or Curtis Scott)
I am a lawyer and can confirm that an argument of "But you didn't sack jacky boi" would get laughed out of the building. What building exactly I am not sure. Probably a building in Queanbeyan.
Up The Milk
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Old mate has finally taken it to the police.

Kokomo's patron makes formal police complaint about Curtis Scott punch

The man punched by embattled Raiders player Curtis Scott at a Canberra nightclub has made a formal complaint to police, who say their investigation into the incident is "continuing". It is understood the man, who suffered a broken nose, gave investigators a signed statement last Friday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 15, 2021, 10:48 am My only thought is that they must have received legal advice that they don't have grounds for termination. Explains the lull in news regarding how the club is dealing with it.
I think there might be something in that. Ricky Stuart's comments yesterday indicated no enthusiasm for selecting him, clearly.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

-TW- wrote: July 15, 2021, 11:58 am Old mate has finally taken it to the police.
That could put a different complexion on things.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 15, 2021, 12:07 pm
-TW- wrote: July 15, 2021, 11:58 am Old mate has finally taken it to the police.
That could put a different complexion on things.
Yeah we could be back on here.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The issue in employment contracts is that employers often have to demonstrate a history of warnings over incidents - and they need to be documented etc etc. It may have been judged that there is not enough in the incidents, or that breaches haven't produced formal warnings etc.

Given there is now a formal complaint about the latest incident, that may change things.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Kokomo's patron makes formal police complaint about Curtis Scott punch

The man punched by embattled Raiders player Curtis Scott at a Canberra nightclub has made a formal complaint to police, who say their investigation into the incident is "continuing". It is understood the man, who suffered a broken nose, gave investigators a signed statement last Friday.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

Must be a Raiders supporter.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: not all heroes wear capes
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

yea i don't think so either, i'm just searching for reasons as to why we haven't taken this opportunity to punt an overpaid underperforming player who's obviously a bit of a douche when its seemingly been handed to us on a plate. there must be something behind it
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Yeah as GE said, there didnt seem much enthusiasm from Stuart when asked about him.
Its very confusing to me.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Botman wrote: July 15, 2021, 1:37 pm Yeah as GE said, there didnt seem much enthusiasm from Stuart when asked about him.
Its very confusing to me.
Maybe he's like the rest of us, doesn't care about Scott!!!! Or he's too busy trying to keep other players happy... Hodgo or Tarps (sorry Mrs Tarps) :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Looks like Curtis Scott's manager Sam Ayoub is looking for other clubs for Curtis Scott, the Knights the latest rumour. The source is Phil Rothfield's column in The Sunday Telegraph: http://ow.ly/R62050Fy4j3

Looks like the club doesn't want to sack Curtis Scott, but they don't want to play him in green again either.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott begins isolation

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott has taken the first step towards getting his NRL career back on track. The 23-year-old's returned to Canberra and was in isolation in his house until the end of next week.

It would allow him to then return to training at Raiders HQ, but at this stage there were no plans for him to join the Green Machine in their Queensland bubble - casting doubt on his future at the club.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Raiders looking at the possibility of staging a NSW Cup level contest against the Newcastle Knights for players still training in Canberra.
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

People are circulating some of his support of the morons who had that dumb **** "protest" yesterday in Sydney. That should finally get him his contract termination you would hope?
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by Toviii »

Dunamis posted something similar, but I agree, I have no patience for people who want to try defend animal cruelty and the actions of those protesters yesterday
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

That idiot who punched a horse is now a nationwide disgrace.

What a disgusting act.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Peter
Jason Croker

Post by Peter »

You do know he didn’t punch the horse right? Have you seen the actual footage or are you believing what the media says word for word?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Peter wrote:You do know he didn’t punch the horse right? Have you seen the actual footage or are you believing what the media says word for word?
Pushes it away with a clenched fist, so yes the picture overblows the act somewhat.

But it's still **** form to be mistreating animals.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Ultima wrote: July 25, 2021, 10:33 am People are circulating some of his support of the morons who had that dumb **** "protest" yesterday in Sydney. That should finally get him his contract termination you would hope?
Wow! I can’t help think that if Mr Scott did the exact opposite to every impulse and intuition he has the lad would make outstanding decisions.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ultima wrote:People are circulating some of his support of the morons who had that dumb **** "protest" yesterday in Sydney. That should finally get him his contract termination you would hope?
It wasn't "support" it was the media never shows the full story.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Peter wrote:You do know he didn’t punch the horse right? Have you seen the actual footage or are you believing what the media says word for word?
The image I seen looked pretty damning....have to admit I didnt see footage

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

-TW- wrote:
Pushes it away with a clenched fist, so yes the picture overblows the act somewhat.

But it's still **** form to be mistreating animals.

Makes me think of old mate that punched a roo because it threatened his dog or something.

FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Curtis Scott banned three matches and fined $15,000 after nightclub fight

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Now we wait for to see who’s the first NRL player to use the “Pushing some bloke away with my clenched fist” defence when the next nightclub brawl happens.
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

The problem with moving Scott on is that nobody wants him. I can't understand any logical reason for an NRL or ESL club to pursue him. He's high risk and low reward.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If there is an upside to any of this, I think going forward whenever any of us have a bad day at work…. And I mean a stinker…. One of those days where nothing goes right and you wonder how you will get through…. Well, we can all just pause and think - this might be tough, but at least I’m not Curtis Scott’s manager!
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 25, 2021, 5:04 pm The problem with moving Scott on is that nobody wants him. I can't understand any logical reason for an NRL or ESL club to pursue him. He's high risk and low reward.
The Tigers will probably sign him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I hope they do, I think they're giving BJ the boot at the end of this year

Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

The ironing is delicious.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: July 25, 2021, 5:37 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 25, 2021, 5:04 pm The problem with moving Scott on is that nobody wants him. I can't understand any logical reason for an NRL or ESL club to pursue him. He's high risk and low reward.
The Tigers will probably sign him.
Player/coach?
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Peter wrote: July 25, 2021, 10:56 am You do know he didn’t punch the horse right? Have you seen the actual footage or are you believing what the media says word for word?
Love the mental gymnastics some people go through to justify ****. What exactly do you think the definition of a punch is? He has a closed fist, he moved it towards the horses head and made contact. Just because he is really crap at punching doesn't make it less of a punch. The horse is considered a police officer, do you really think that's OK either way? What are you even trying to defend here?
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Ultima wrote: July 26, 2021, 11:24 am
Peter wrote: July 25, 2021, 10:56 am You do know he didn’t punch the horse right? Have you seen the actual footage or are you believing what the media says word for word?
Love the mental gymnastics some people go through to justify ****. What exactly do you think the definition of a punch is? He has a closed fist, he moved it towards the horses head and made contact. Just because he is really crap at punching doesn't make it less of a punch. The horse is considered a police officer, do you really think that's OK either way? What are you even trying to defend here?
I saw the video. It was most surely not a punch. Either way I hope the grub gets the book thrown at him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 26, 2021, 12:16 pm
Ultima wrote: July 26, 2021, 11:24 am
I saw the video. It was most surely not a punch. Either way I hope the grub gets the book thrown at him.
I agree NR, with the caveat that if the incident occurred on the weekend of Magic Round then it was a punch and he would get 25 years jail time. Any other time it was as you have described.