All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott allegedly involved in nightclub fight

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2021, 10:01 am
Canberra Milk wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:55 am If it's a legal advice they're waiting for, that shouldn't take this long. I agree there must be *something* they're waiting on, just hard to work out what it is
Perhaps a victim and possibly some evidence better than the grainy nothing footage we have seen.

Curtis could claim the guy pulled a bazooka on him and there isn’t a witness to dispute the claim or footage to show otherwise.

Also last I heard neither the Raiders or the NRL have any investigative powers. The police have said they aren’t touching it so I can’t wait to see how the NRL thinks it can collect witness statements or anything else to end a mans career. We know Curtis has a good lawyer.
Police are still looking at it. It's been handballed back down to general duties police after they tried to send it up to detectives who found it completely un-interesting. So things will move slower. It's now back to being treated like any other fight in civic on a weekend, not a priority.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

From the Vaughan situation - it seems like you need three strikes before termination: sexting, his breakfast COVID breach last year, and the recent house party. Scott would have two that we at least know of - Aust Day 2020, and throwing a punch in the nightclub. The last one may be elevated to summary dismissal if police charge him, goes to court and pleads guilty (which is the only plea really from the video evidence). If he pleads not guilty or wants his case heard that there was provocation then we could be in for a long ride waiting for the outcome of the court case. I do not think the the offence was serious enough for the NRL to enact the stand down policy - x amount of years in jail etc. It brings the game into disrepute but not equivalent to De Belin's or Fainu's cases
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep. I’m doubtful the Curtis Scott incident at Kokomo’s would end with jail time.

There must be hundreds of similar events across Australian drinking establishments occurring every Saturday night that never end in jail time.

Raiders and NRL may only have good reason for a hefty fine.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'm fairly confident in saying there is no requirement for three strikes to terminate a contract
If the terms of the contract have been breached, and im fairly they have been in this case, then they can terminate. They can do that after 1 strike, or 20... and how many strikes you get probably depend on the level of talent, the internal policies of the club and the contract situation. Example: Steve Irwin got sent packing on strike 1, Dugan and Carney probably got close to 20 :lol:

Again, the NRL will at some point finalise their investigation and hand down whatever punishment they see fit, which i dont expect to be much... if i had to guess something like 2 games and $10k...

And then the club will either keep him because they feel he has a future at the club, or sack him because they don't.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We saw what happened earlier this year to some of our SG Ball players. The players who tried to cover up an incident were sacked... those who were truthful were not. The big thing for Ricky Stuart is telling him the truth. If you don't...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t disagree with any of that - the time lag in the process is the issue here. Scott is currently in limbo not knowing if he should be looking at options at other clubs, the UK or Japan. I get that it was his own dumb actions that got him in this hole, but he is owed natural justice and procedural fairness. Paul Vaughan knows where he stands with St George and the NRL and can go forward accordingly. It is not appropriate to hold Scott in limbo to then either impose a sanction that equates to a fraction of the time it took to determine the sanction - alternatively it would also be wrong to advise him he is sacked when he could have been given that outcome 6 months earlier. Football careers are finite things so you would want a good reason why you are holding a player in limbo through his prime time - Mr Scott has a good lawyer.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Agree the delay is unreasonably long.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2021, 11:41 am Agree the delay is unreasonably long.
I think it’s either unreasonably long or perhaps curiously long. I think it is likely there is something behind the scenes we don’t have visibility on. My immediate take was that he would be swiftly sacked. When that didn’t happen I thought maybe the club would keep him. The total lack of commentary from the club about the issue suggests keeping him is unlikely. So I’m curious about why the NRL/club hasn’t pulled the trigger on a sacking. Will keep watching with growing interest. Perhaps someone should send in an “ask Kenty” to NRL 360.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

This is now taking so long that we are getting screwed whichever way you look at it. Either:

1. We have a player on the books that we cannot play that is not going to be suspended.
2. We have a player on the books that is going to be sacked but we have to continue paying him due to a lack of decision and cannot enter the player market to seek a replacement.

Bottom line is the player has form and has a suspended punishment from previous incidents and no matter how you look at it there is video of him bringing the game into disrepute. Get on with it.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's been a waste of time and space. Would be happy to see him off the books, period.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Green Blogger wrote: July 7, 2021, 1:40 pm This is now taking so long that we are getting screwed whichever way you look at it. Either:

1. We have a player on the books that we cannot play that is not going to be suspended.
2. We have a player on the books that is going to be sacked but we have to continue paying him due to a lack of decision and cannot enter the player market to seek a replacement.

Bottom line is the player has form and has a suspended punishment from previous incidents and no matter how you look at it there is video of him bringing the game into disrepute. Get on with it.
Fair point - I’ve been looking at this from a player perspective but the delays in this process aren’t good for the club either. Either clear him and get him on the field in 1’s or 2’s or sack him and start using the $$ and roster space wisely. The time this is taking is getting a bit silly.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 7, 2021, 12:03 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 7, 2021, 11:41 am Agree the delay is unreasonably long.
I think it’s either unreasonably long or perhaps curiously long. I think it is likely there is something behind the scenes we don’t have visibility on. My immediate take was that he would be swiftly sacked. When that didn’t happen I thought maybe the club would keep him. The total lack of commentary from the club about the issue suggests keeping him is unlikely. So I’m curious about why the NRL/club hasn’t pulled the trigger on a sacking. Will keep watching with growing interest. Perhaps someone should send in an “ask Kenty” to NRL 360.
My thought hasn't changed. Club is taking their time to ensure they have proper grounds to terminate his contract. Much of this would be getting support of the NRL to do so. Raiders keeping him stood down till that process is complete. One thing we do know is the NRL integrity unit can take a very long time to reach an outcome (e.g. David Fifita).

I will also confidently say that if the Raiders intended to keep Scott at the club he would be playing right now. There's no way they'd be keeping him on ice waiting for the NRL to do it's thing. They'd be publicly demanding an immediate resolution.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

That's my feeling too
Scott was at no risk of being NFSD'd, so the fact the Raiders have stood him down and not a single word of support has leaked out of the club speaks volumes to me. Not a single word of support even through Stuart's public mouth pieces.

I honestly don't think the club are that concerned about the delay, if they were, they'd be making some noises about it. I think they're pretty happy with the NRL taking their time, and i don't think they care much about Scott being in limbo, because i don't believe they really consider him a part of the club any longer. But that's my reading of the tea leaves

What i am very confident on is that the club has grounds for termination (not just for the act itself, but i would wager there is language in the contract that requires Scott to report these kind of incidents to the club immediately, so he's likely in breach of the contract because he didnt do that) and they've made their call on that one way or the other, i am absolutely certain the key decision makers at the club know exactly the course of action they'll be taking once the NRL integrity unit complete it's investigation, and once they do, the Raiders will make their decision known.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I agree with you that the Raiders will have a trigger in the contract they can pull to sack him. I also agree with your earlier take that the NRL commission is likely to land on a fine and a couple of games. So when the commission finding lands the club still needs to
go above and beyond it to sack him. It doesn’t really provide any cover or save the clubs from being the bad guy here. If anything there is a risk the commission could make things hard for the club if they land on an inconclusive finding or a very meek sanction.

If the trigger is there, and club wants him gone, aren’t we missing an opportunity to take the moral high ground and show the NRL we can handle our own stuff and we are decisive when action is required.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2021, 2:26 pm That's my feeling too
Scott was at no risk of being NFSD'd, so the fact the Raiders have stood him down and not a single word of support has leaked out of the club speaks volumes to me. Not a single word of support even through Stuart's public mouth pieces.

I honestly don't think the club are that concerned about the delay, if they were, they'd be making some noises about it. I think they're pretty happy with the NRL taking their time, and i don't think they care much about Scott being in limbo, because i don't believe they really consider him a part of the club any longer. But that's my reading of the tea leaves

What i am very confident on is that the club has grounds for termination (not just for the act itself, but i would wager there is language in the contract that requires Scott to report these kind of incidents to the club immediately, so he's likely in breach of the contract because he didnt do that) and they've made their call on that one way or the other, i am absolutely certain the key decision makers at the club know exactly the course of action they'll be taking once the NRL integrity unit complete it's investigation, and once they do, the Raiders will make their decision known.
I agree.

The club has 1000 things to prioritise over what they do with Curtis Scott. The bloke has been stood down and appears to be in Sydney, 300km away from doing any more damage to the Raiders.

I'm entirely certain the club doesn't give a rats ass how long this process takes.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2021, 5:27 pm
Botman wrote: July 7, 2021, 2:26 pm That's my feeling too

I agree.

The club has 1000 things to prioritise over what they do with Curtis Scott. The bloke has been stood down and appears to be in Sydney, 300km away from doing any more damage to the Raiders.

I'm entirely certain the club doesn't give a rats ass how long this process takes.
Is he stood down with pay or without pay? You do the maths - would rather see that money go to the Ricky Stuart foundation than into a player’s pocket for a few months while you twiddle about thinking about cutting him.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It’s salary cap money
It doesn’t roll over, we have plenty of it with George’s release, there is no real scope to bring anyone else into the squad now
The only consideration is whether Scott’s salary is going to a part of the cap for next year and beyond, the club needs to know that as it negotiates deals with other players
But they do know that. We might not, but I’m sure they do
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 7, 2021, 5:40 pm It’s salary cap money
It doesn’t roll over, we have plenty of it with George’s release, there is no real scope to bring anyone else into the squad now
The only consideration is whether Scott’s salary is going to a part of the cap for next year and beyond, the club needs to know that as it negotiates deals with other players
If he’s set to be cut I’d rather see it now with the remainder of his salary this year converted to bonus payments for players having a crack each week based on GH player of the year voting by the fans.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Exactly. The club doesn't need a police investigation or charges to be laid to sack him. There are a zillion players out there who have had their contract terminated for far less. Ferguson got the flick for skipping training.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 7, 2021, 7:49 pm
Exactly. The club doesn't need a police investigation or charges to be laid to sack him. There are a zillion players out there who have had their contract terminated for far less. Ferguson got the flick for skipping training.
So what are they waiting for? Why are we still paying him?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

The NRL integrity committee or whatever the **** they're calling themselves have not finalised their investigation as yet
They're not going to do anything until the process has played out.

I feel like this has been reported... like not that long ago... maybe a page back on this thread.
Did... did you not see it?
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I don't think Curtis is in a rush to finish this either.
At the moment he is happily getting paid big coin to sit at home.
He knows he has blown it with Ricky, lie to him and your done
With his history and current form not many clubs would even consider him so he is looking down the barrel of being paid a lot less
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Agree Cat. There is a reasonable consensus here on the following:

- Curtis is a dud who has screwed up too many times, there’s no love from Ricky or the club and all indications suggest this is ending with a sacking.

- the NRL commission won’t deregister him - at best he will get a fine and a few games.

So why wait for the commission? We know they won’t suggest he be sacked. We all seem confident there are triggers in the contract to allow him to be sacked. Why are we still paying him and keeping him in limbo. I’m sure he has friends in the playing group and these long drawn out processes are exactly the sort of thing that impact moral.

Unless there is more at play, we need an outcome here for the club and the player.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

I'm not so sure he has that many friends in the playing group, could explain why he was on his own at kimonos....

In terms of sacking him before the integrity unit has done its thing legally I think we would be walking a wobbly bridge, if we sack him we could be seen to be trying to influence the nrl and thus restricting his employment opportunities?
I'm sure there are brainier people here with legal knowledge but thats what i thought might happen.

Based on what Curtis has put on instagram he isnt doing much to stay fit and he isn't in the bubble so nothing much will happen this year for him either at the raiders, another nrl club or any form of employment
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Due process would require that the NRL Integrity Unit needs to complete its findings. Then the club can consider its position in light of all the information and it will follow due process itself then. It's simply due legal process.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders centre Curtis Scott banned for three games and fined $15,000 by NRL after nightclub incident

The National Rugby League (NRL) has issued Canberra Raiders player Curtis Scott with a Breach Notice alleging he brought the game into disrepute during an incident at a venue in Canberra on May 30.

The Breach Notice proposes Scott be suspended for 3 matches and fined $15,000.

Scott has been stood down by the Raiders club since Round 14 and that time served will count towards his NRL suspension.

Scott has been advised that an existing $15,000 suspended fine will also be activated if this new Breach Notice is confirmed by the NRL.

Scott has 5 working days to respond to the Breach Notice.

NRL media release

Raiders star Curtis Scott hit with NRL ban and $15000 fine over nightclub fracas: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 3fbc8bcc2d

Raider Scott to pay price for pub incident: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-3391049

Scott banned for three games and fined: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/13/sco ... and-fined/

Curtis Scott handed $15,000 fine and three-match suspension for Kokomo's fight: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Soooooooooooo - now what?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Curtis Scott banned three matches and fined $15,000 after nightclub fight

Post by greeneyed »

The Raiders board will now meet to consider the club's position.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

He's gone. Good riddance. Worst outside back signing since David Howell and Craig Frawley.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

If I’m Scott I’d be hitting Donny up for answers. “Dude I’ve got $30k in fines on me, before I pull out the old Visa card do you want to tell me where I stand. My appetite for squaring the ledger on this with the NRL might vary depending on whether I have any future in the NRL…..”
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 13, 2021, 5:50 pm If I’m Scott I’d be hitting Donny up for answers. “Dude I’ve got $30k in fines on me, before I pull out the old Visa card do you want to tell me where I stand. My appetite for squaring the ledger on this with the NRL might vary depending on whether I have any future in the NRL…..”
“You have reached the voice mail of Don Furner, please leave a message after the beep”
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 13, 2021, 6:06 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 13, 2021, 5:50 pm If I’m Scott I’d be hitting Donny up for answers. “Dude I’ve got $30k in fines on me, before I pull out the old Visa card do you want to tell me where I stand. My appetite for squaring the ledger on this with the NRL might vary depending on whether I have any future in the NRL…..”
“You have reached the voice mail of Don Furner, please leave a message after the beep”
Of course, silly me - obviously he is a call to RadicalRaider dishing up the latest gossip….
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm predicting $350,000 to 400,000 in our salary cap to be free after the Board meeting
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 13, 2021, 6:10 pm I'm predicting $350,000 to 400,000 in our salary cap to be free after the Board meeting
Should be able to upgrade Croker with that…
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

David Riccio on NRL Tonight stated that Curtis is not in the Raiders team to go into the QLD bubble, Raiders take culture seriously and that he is of the belief that Curtis will definitely not play first grade for the Raiders again this year and that most likely he will never play first grade for the Raiders again.