Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders' Curtis Scott allegedly involved in nightclub fight

Post by BadnMean »

GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:36 am For me, Timoko has been the standout of the 3 based on the limited game time…

Kris has been steady and is obviously learning.
Kris had an excellent first couple of matches this year- hard hitting in defence, strong running, was sniffing out tries and getting himself involved (finding himself on the end of kicks and loose balls etc). Then teams stopped trying to run right over him and tested him with a bit more footwork and decision making and in a poor defensive team his defence slipped. I think he might even be a good, dynamic edge backrower sooner or later. He likes the contact, not so much the subtlety.

Timoko has maybe even shown more in attack including that game, where he was just a constant handful. Really poking his nose through and using footwork and strength to win play the balls.

He made 32 tackles- a lot of which were 3rd man in coming in to help out/finish off. And that's not a criticism because there's no way a centre will make 32 tackles otherwise. But it shows fitness for one. Ability, awareness and willingness to get involved too. So he's fit enough to do it and attitude to stay alert to coming in. Want to be a bit careful in future that if a smart hooker sees him making tackles in the middle (as he was) they'll shift straight to his side to take advantage.

Haven't really seen enough of HSS to say. he showed one slick move to score when given half a chance but it was poor opposition too and need to see a few games.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

BadnMean wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:19 am
GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 7:36 am For me, Timoko has been the standout of the 3 based on the limited game time…

Kris has been steady and is obviously learning.
Kris had an excellent first couple of matches this year- hard hitting in defence, strong running, was sniffing out tries and getting himself involved (finding himself on the end of kicks and loose balls etc). Then teams stopped trying to run right over him and tested him with a bit more footwork and decision making and in a poor defensive team his defence slipped. I think he might even be a good, dynamic edge backrower sooner or later. He likes the contact, not so much the subtlety.

Timoko has maybe even shown more in attack including that game, where he was just a constant handful. Really poking his nose through and using footwork and strength to win play the balls.

He made 32 tackles- a lot of which were 3rd man in coming in to help out/finish off. And that's not a criticism because there's no way a centre will make 32 tackles otherwise. But it shows fitness for one. Ability, awareness and willingness to get involved too. So he's fit enough to do it and attitude to stay alert to coming in. Want to be a bit careful in future that if a smart hooker sees him making tackles in the middle (as he was) they'll shift straight to his side to take advantage.

Haven't really seen enough of HSS to say. he showed one slick move to score when given half a chance but it was poor opposition too and need to see a few games.
There were a couple of around the legs clean up tackles I really liked from Timoko...
I have no complaints with running either of the 3 for the rest of the season with Kris and Timoko given first crack...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I have little doubt that HSS was the best of the three based on junior football. Given some chances in first grade, he’ll show that. Sadly he’s been injured all of this year.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2021, 10:45 am I have little doubt that HSS was the best of the three based on junior football. Given some chances in first grade, he’ll show that. Sadly he’s been injured all of this year.
HSS always struck me as a good allrounder. There's no single aspect of his game that stands out yet he seems very capable at most things. Kind of player that could emerge as a very solid NRL player.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Hopefully HSS bounces back from injury.

Either way, Kris and Timoko are so far ahead of Scott and Croker it's not funny.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

greeneyed wrote: June 14, 2021, 10:45 am I have little doubt that HSS was the best of the three based on junior football. Given some chances in first grade, he’ll show that. Sadly he’s been injured all of this year.
Besides the Cronulla game and as a replacement in the Souths game, I've hardly seen him play. Does he have pace? His defence seemed solid against Souths.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The CT reporting that the Raiders are hoping the NRL Integrity Unit investigation is finalised this week. Curtis Scott in lock down in Sydney at present, given permission to be there while stood down: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sydney 'eh.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s staying I’d say
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Seiffert82 wrote: June 27, 2021, 7:00 pm Sydney 'eh.
Not particularly surprising I would have thought. He is suspended from club duties so has gone to his family.

Should he be allowed back, Curtis is an ACT resident and is allowed to go to work under the stay at home orders so would be straight back to training.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Unless there’s been a police complaint, it’s probably unlikely the integrity unit will find anything heavier than the current stand down period.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

greeneyed wrote: June 27, 2021, 6:43 pm The CT reporting that the Raiders are hoping the NRL Integrity Unit investigation is finalised this week. Curtis Scott in lock down in Sydney at present, given permission to be there while stood down: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
He should tour a few facilities while he is there… I don’t think we particularly need him back the big spud
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

Bay53 wrote: June 27, 2021, 7:25 pm
Not particularly surprising I would have thought. He is suspended from club duties so has gone to his family.

Should he be allowed back, Curtis is an ACT resident and is allowed to go to work under the stay at home orders so would be straight back to training.
Well, he can stay up there until this whole global pandemic disappears. Just like a miracle.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Im sure I remember an article when we first signed Scott, going on about how he could have signed for a number of Sydney clubs, but he chose Canberra because he would get in trouble if he was in Sydney... or along those lines
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: June 29, 2021, 12:31 pm

Im sure I remember an article when we first signed Scott, going on about how he could have signed for a number of Sydney clubs, but he chose Canberra because he would get in trouble if he was in Sydney... or along those lines
Pretty sure that is a stock standard media release in Don’s top draw that he pulls out and inserts name here for all our second chance redemption signings.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It was a direct quote from Scott himself IIRC.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Botman wrote:It was a direct quote from Scott himself IIRC.
I’m glad I’m not the only one recalling it.

For a guy who wanted to keep out of the Sydney spotlight, he’s getting himself into a lot of trouble in Sydney
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 6:59 pm It was a direct quote from Scott himself IIRC.
Yeah but didn’t we word up Junior Paulo to say the same thing? I recall BJ saying something similar. It’s a great story haha
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think you've researched the Paulo situation adaquately.
Try again.

I dont recall that quote coming from BJ, his issues were not related to "trouble" off the park as i recall it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:27 pm I dont think you've researched the Paulo situation adaquately.
Try again.

I dont recall that quote coming from BJ, his issues were not related to "trouble" off the park as i recall it
“The subsequent move to Canberra was more about removing himself from bad influences in Sydney”.

I’d say that’s pretty much word for word….

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/amp.smh ... 562jm.html
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:32 pm
Botman wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:27 pm I dont think you've researched the Paulo situation adaquately.
Try again.

“The subsequent move to Canberra was more about removing himself from bad influences in Sydney”.

Again, research it more adaquately. There is very good and well documented reasons why he's saying that and they have nothing to do with club spin.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Botman wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: June 29, 2021, 8:32 pm
Try again.

Again, research it more adaquately. There is very good and well documented reasons why he's saying that and they have nothing to do with club spin.
There was photographic evidence, if i recall

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

How we going on those theories that we are dotting i’s and crossing t’s to ensure a watertight case to move him on. I reckon blokes have been sent to the gallows in quicker time. Either Don works at glacier speed or more likely I’m guessing he is staying.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2021, 8:58 am How we going on those theories that we are dotting i’s and crossing t’s to ensure a watertight case to move him on. I reckon blokes have been sent to the gallows in quicker time. Either Don works at glacier speed or more likely I’m guessing he is staying.
Isnt this an NRL thing. Arent we waiting for their decision on any punishment or not ?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:03 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 3, 2021, 8:58 am How we going on those theories that we are dotting i’s and crossing t’s to ensure a watertight case to move him on. I reckon blokes have been sent to the gallows in quicker time. Either Don works at glacier speed or more likely I’m guessing he is staying.
Isnt this an NRL thing. Arent we waiting for their decision on any punishment or not ?
That was the last I heard- waiting for a response from the integrity commission before anything. Then nothing.

No way the integrity commission would stand a guy down for a slap in a bar longer than he's already missed though.

He has a suspended $15000 dollar fine from NRL over his Oz Day shennanigans (for HIS part, not the cops part) so maybe the delay is on the legalities of activating that fine without police charges? Or working with the Raiders on a plan forward for Scott's welfare? Or working with the Raiders to see if activating the fine is grounds for termination?
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:
Yeah that's what I thought. How long it will take is anyone's guess. Maybe the integrity unit is reviewing CCTV from the grassy knoll?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gergreg wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:17 am
LimeGreenMachine wrote:
Yeah that's what I thought. How long it will take is anyone's guess. Maybe the integrity unit is reviewing CCTV from the grassy knoll?

You wonder whether they actually paint themselves into a corner by taking so long. After all this time I feel like they need a harsh finding. If they were to say nothing to see here I would imagine Scott may have grounds to claim he has been jerked around, stood down and unable to advance his career because some stooges took far too long to decide he didn’t do much wrong.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

If it's a legal advice they're waiting for, that shouldn't take this long. I agree there must be *something* they're waiting on, just hard to work out what it is
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:55 am If it's a legal advice they're waiting for, that shouldn't take this long. I agree there must be *something* they're waiting on, just hard to work out what it is
Perhaps a victim and possibly some evidence better than the grainy nothing footage we have seen.

Curtis could claim the guy pulled a bazooka on him and there isn’t a witness to dispute the claim or footage to show otherwise.

Also last I heard neither the Raiders or the NRL have any investigative powers. The police have said they aren’t touching it so I can’t wait to see how the NRL thinks it can collect witness statements or anything else to end a mans career. We know Curtis has a good lawyer.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy Walker wrote:
Canberra Milk wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:55 am If it's a legal advice they're waiting for, that shouldn't take this long. I agree there must be *something* they're waiting on, just hard to work out what it is
Perhaps a victim and possibly some evidence better than the grainy nothing footage we have seen.

Curtis could claim the guy pulled a bazooka on him and there isn’t a witness to dispute the claim or footage to show otherwise.

Also last I heard neither the Raiders or the NRL have any investigative powers. The police have said they aren’t touching it so I can’t wait to see how the NRL thinks it can collect witness statements or anything else to end a mans career. We know Curtis has a good lawyer.
I'm not sure what your reference to 'grainy footage' is? There was an altercation at a club. Scott didn't report it, to the club or the NRL until the footage emerged. I believe at that point he admitted it was him, the club referred it to the integrity unit. So **** does grainy footage have to do with it?

He has admitted it is him. Grainy footage or not you can see him arguing with someone and then starts swinging at another bloke. Only last year the same bloke was involved in a different alcohol related incident. The NRL is under absolutely no obligation to complete their processes in a hurry, simply to please the offender.

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 3, 2021, 9:03 am
correct. They're waiting on the NRL integrity unit to finish their investigation before a decision is formally made.
I would bet my bottom dollar they have a decision already informally made and was probably made within 2-3 days of the incident occuring. The rest is all just process. And the Raiders arent going to announce any action until that process has finished. A report earlier this week said they'd hope the investigation was finalised this week, give the COVID situation has ramped up again i think we can probably assume that it wasnt, and so the club is in a holding patten until they do.

I think they'll sack him but thats purely a guess. As i've said from the onset. This decision has nothing to do with NRL action or the act. This is a decision for the club on how they feel about the player and contract. If they like him and the deal, he's going to be kept, if they dont, he'll be sacked.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

NRL integrity unit investigating 12 dragon players for a COVID breach. Are we expecting the investigation to last in excess of a month while I’s are dotted and T’s crossed or do you think we might get swifter action here?
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: July 4, 2021, 8:12 pm NRL integrity unit investigating 12 dragon players for a COVID breach. Are we expecting the investigation to last in excess of a month while I’s are dotted and T’s crossed or do you think we might get swifter action here?
It's a COVID breach. The league has moved into specific protocols to protect the competition from having to be shut down and risking literal hundreds of millions of dollars.
The incident involving a high number of players, none of which are likely to be stood down by the club pending investigation, said club is a finals team currently... of course it's going to be swifter than some random guy in a bad team who doesnt put the financial interests of the entire league in jeapordy.

The **** is wrong with you? :lol:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

So how are we going here? The dragons situation has shown us that the NRL integrity commission does have the ability to move swiftly when it wants to. $305k of fines, and all players handed a suspension in less than a week. The follow up play by the dragons to sack Vaughan also shows it doesn’t take months to dot the i’s and cross the t’s when you have a good case to sack a player. Soooooooo - either there isn’t the lock tight case against Scott that some are suggesting or there isn’t the same desire to see him sacked. I suspect there is a lot more to this than what has been reported.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Billy, refer to the post directly above yours.