Favourite Player: Pigman

Re: Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by Luffto »

Also, that **** can **** right off to whatever hole he **** lives in. **** unit
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I don’t think I phrased my earlier question properly.

How can anyone claim that the club leaked the info about Curtis Scott two days ago when the Mole, Buzz and Weidler were hinting about it last season?

I presumed it only came out now because journo’s thought it was a good time to put it out in the open.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

It's come out now because the journos dont burn trusted, reliable sources , they can trim around the edges and speak in coded langauge to get thier info across without blowing their source. They arent going to report something a confidential source had told them unless the source is happy for them to do so

Somehow, right now that source is happy for them to do so.
Stunning coincidence, that the source is now happy to do at a time where it helps justify the case for our club to sack him

WHAT A COINCIDENCE!!! haha
But no, its player managers.

it's amazing how often **** is reported about this club, we get a 24 hour news cycle and then the reporter goes into bat for the club to say the source isnt the club... just amazing stuff really. A cynic might call it ploy to attempt to achieve plausable deniablity.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

‘On the wrong track’: Buzz reveals source of Scott ‘leak’ after axed Raider’s explosive post

The Daily Telegraph’s Phil Rothfield has hit out at Curtis Scott after the axed Raiders centre accused Canberra of leaking information details of a fight with John Bateman.

“It’s very important to explain that story did not come from the Canberra Raiders,” Rothfield said. “I actually had it confirmed by somebody in the Curtis Scott camp when I heard a rumour about it. So he’s on the wrong track there.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 0b2d56456d

Scott's welfare a focus for Hodgson after sacking: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/08/24/sco ... r-sacking/

Andrew Johns said the best option for Scott now may be to seek opportunities overseas to escape the NRL pressure-cooker: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-curtis ... cc3328d78d
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

Good stuff people,anybody know a good CEO and coach? We need them ASAP!!!
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Buzz clearly not a fan of DFJ:
“Rothfield went on to reveal that he had no relationship with CEO Don Furner, criticising the club boss’ demeanour.

“I don’t talk to Don Furner,” Rothfield said. “I find him to be a volatile human being.

“My blue with him 20 years ago was a very heated phone call,” Rothfield said.

“I’m thinking, if that’s the last time I spoke to him and he behaved in that manner over an issue nothing as serious as this. I started thinking is he too hostile on these players?”
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I take **** Red Nose says with a pinch of salt, but it's become pretty **** clear that Don Furner is a massive issue at this club.

He's done his time - been in the role for 13 odd years, and before that I think was in a senior role with us. Time to move on and for the club to get someone in with fresh ideas and a new perspective.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Botman wrote: All granted, however the why is we're the only club that seems to lower ourselves to play the PR game?
Dragons did it with Dufty when they needed him to help them still this year! Image

Definitely not saying it’s a good idea or that Dragons are a well run outfit. Image
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

BadnMean wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:32 pm
Schifty wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:01 pm Scott is playing 4D chess by leaking against himself to make the club's decision to sack him look more justified.

None of you are on his level so wouldn't understand.
Mate this bloke is on the verge of getting paid 400k a year, by 2 different football clubs to actually NOT to play football for them (while he looks for a third) + his goddam off season side hustle with the NSW Police is worth 100k!

Nobody is on his level.
His accountant is going to have the weirdest time doing his tax return.

I wonder if NSW police payout counts as income.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

gangrenous wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:29 pm
Botman wrote: All granted, however the why is we're the only club that seems to lower ourselves to play the PR game?
Dragons did it with Dufty when they needed him to help them still this year! Image

Definitely not saying it’s a good idea or that Dragons are a well run outfit. Image
haha its a good point. And telling. :lol:
This is where we are
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

What have the dragons done with Dufty? I’d argue we have all been speculating there are issues with Dufty hence why the dragons are moving on a clear talent. I don’t think the dragons have played out or revealed what the issues are and Dufty moves on to the Doggies with reputation in tact. That is how a club should treat players.
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:38 pm

haha its a good point. And telling. :lol:
This is where we are
We should try pry Moses Mbye away from them
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Imagine! Someone having "words" with Phil Rothfield!

I have to say in my own experience Don Furner is always friendly and seems like a very nice bloke.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Billy Walker wrote:

What have the dragons done with Dufty? I’d argue we have all been speculating there are issues with Dufty hence why the dragons are moving on a clear talent. I don’t think the dragons have played out or revealed what the issues are and Dufty moves on to the Doggies with reputation in tact. That is how a club should treat players.
Pretty sure they were roundly criticised for being behind an article which meticulously detailed examples of Dufty’s failings in defence and lack of effort. People saw it as a hit job on him.

I speculated at the time that it might have actually been a poor attempt by them to try and put out a plausible alternative for why he was looking to be moved on, rather than whatever it is that means few will take a chance on him.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

greeneyed wrote:Imagine! Someone having "words" with Phil Rothfield!

I have to say in my own experience Don Furner is always friendly and seems like a very nice bloke.
Well, who wouldn’t be nice talking to you when you’re giving them a lift in your helicopter?

Plus, if they’re mean you might throw them out of it Image
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Look, I've got big issues with Ricky's game plans, adaptability, bench use and selections. I'm calling for him to move into a different role to accommodate a coach who can do those things effectively for 2021 NRL and beyond. It also seems like he's reacted with emotion rather than logic a few times on issues with players.

But I don't get the hate with the Curtis situation. The guy got blind drunk and arrested before he'd laced a boot (irrespective of the tasering etc.) then played very poorly then couldn't keep fit then punched on with a teammate then was injured due to fighting a teammate then punched on with a rando for which he got charged and there was footage in the media then he still didn't play well.

That's enough to sack a guy. For sure.

I don't get the criticism about leaking the internal fight either. Curtis had to front the Board to explain his poor behaviour and then on the eve of the decision went public with a pre-emptive redemption story. He was trying to manage the media. Fair play. He's allowed to do that. Then his agent threatened wrongful dismissal. That's also allowed but demonstrates the agent, Curtis or both don't get just how poor his behaviour was.

So the club leaked/gave the green light for the story of his fight to become public to provide balance against the redemption story, and allow the sacking to be put into context. That's fair play too and it's useful information for a fan.

Had Curtis copped his sacking and moved on, and then the story got leaked, well then there's an argument for kicking a guy when he's down. That didn't happen.

This isn't to say I disagree with Botman and co.'s assessment that there may be division in the camp. Something isn't right. But this isn't an example of poor handling of a player from the club in my opinion.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Sterlk wrote: August 24, 2021, 8:36 pm Nice of some people in here to be dying on a hill over Stuart leaking the internal fight when they don't actually know anything, because 'it makes sense'.

Sure, it could absolutely be true, but there are some other explanations that aren't particularly implausible being rejected off-hand because minds are already made up. We'd all decided that Scott was guilty-as-sin of assaulting police before the tape came out, too. Internet certainty =/= reality.

I saw comments here a few pages back that a poster had heard about the Bateman fight at the time. That wasn't through the media, it was just word of mouth flying around Canberra. One of the players tells his wife, the wife tells a girlfriend or two, and it takes on a life of its own.

When someone gets sacked for behavioral indiscretions - football player or not - everyone starts remembering all these little pieces of the puzzle they were privy to over the years. It wouldn't be particularly hard for a journalist to pick up on these murmurs through a man-about-town who's outside of the inner sanctum. From there, all it takes is a conversation with a **** in the Scott camp (god knows there's probably a few of them), and hey presto - story confirmed!

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it certainly could have, and nobody here knows otherwise. If the rumours can make their way around town through word-of-mouth, it's not a given that the leaks are coming from the top.
Yeah that was me. I was quite certain he was going to be sacked back then.

It doesn’t sound like the incident was under lock and key in a secret vault which only the club had the key to.

It is perfectly plausible to believe that the club didn’t “leak” this particular incident - and still think the club is fooked in their crisis management.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

gangrenous wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:44 pm
Billy Walker wrote:

Pretty sure they were roundly criticised for being behind an article which meticulously detailed examples of Dufty’s failings in defence and lack of effort. People saw it as a hit job on him.

I speculated at the time that it might have actually been a poor attempt by them to try and put out a plausible alternative for why he was looking to be moved on, rather than whatever it is that means few will take a chance on him.
So if there is an off field issue that the club is respectfully holding close the raiders would do well to follow that lead.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Probably leaked by Bateman or Williams.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

It was literally the worst kept secret around here when the incident happened. Every man and his dog knew about the incident for over a year now.
I don't buy that is was leaked by the club just now. I think Buzz, Kent et al knew about it as long as we all have and decided to publish it now as it makes this whole story spicier.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

sprintman wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:53 pm Probably leaked by Bateman or Williams.
So if that is true, you have to ask why those 2 and BJ and now Curtis hold such ill will towards the club. At the very least you’d have to say Don and Rick are very poor at break ups with people.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:04 pm
Old School Green wrote: August 24, 2021, 7:01 pm
Botman wrote: August 24, 2021, 6:56 pm The club is bigger than the coach too.

Imagine for a moment being a player, constantly listening to Ricky spew **** at you about culture, sticking together, bunker mentality, bleeding green, pride in the jersey, us against the world, telling you that's what he's about, that's what he wants you to be about, that this club is a family and if we all just stick together and put in the work. and have each others backs, that good things will come

imagine sitting in the team meeting room with him spouting that nonsense when you know he's leaking every bit of dirty laundry that happens in the family to his mates in the media so they can bury you if things go south?

Anyone who's work for a **** boss knows how quickly you check on that **** and how it breeds a very toxic and unproductive workplace.
Is he a **** boss because he calls out underperformance of well paid players? I’d call that a good boss?

Not pretending stick doesn’t have challenges; but until these players consistently do their job that they are capable of and that they are handsomely remunerated for, I’m not entertaining the ‘it’s all Ricky’s fault, Sack Ricky and all our ills are cured’ line.
He's a **** boss because he doesnt practice what he preaches. He's constantly undermining his own ethos with his playing group in favour of feeding information to his mates in the media.
Love how you speak with such conviction even though you have no idea about the situation.
Everyone in rugby league talks to the media - Everyone. Plus this has happened a few other clubs as well. It’s a bit dramatic to think it’s only us.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

julian87 wrote: August 24, 2021, 6:43 pm Two very good responses!

I guess this fella just clouds my judgement. Was obvious to me from the very first rumor of his signing that it was a horrendous idea so I’ll die being stacked against him and his signing. I’ll go to my grave believing Leilua to Scott was the premiership window being boarded over.
Yep me too. That move was as arrogant as it got for us. To tell BJ he’s “not good enough for this team” was a complete farce.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

yeh raiders wrote:

I guess this fella just clouds my judgement. Was obvious to me from the very first rumor of his signing that it was a horrendous idea so I’ll die being stacked against him and his signing. I’ll go to my grave believing Leilua to Scott was the premiership window being boarded over.
Yep me too. That move was as arrogant as it got for us. To tell BJ he’s “not good enough for this team” was a complete farce.
He wasn't good enough for the team anymore.
Remind me how he's going at the Tigers?

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

yeh raiders wrote:

He's not good enough for the Tigers either

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Raider Azz wrote: August 24, 2021, 10:58 pm
yeh raiders wrote:

I don’t think comparing his Tigers form to what he did in green is in any way fair.

He was the loosest of units at the Roosters and Newcastle and only really excelled here.

He was an absolute gun here and lost the plot following his axing. Ricky knew how to get the best out of him, but he got greedy and cut him loose and we’ve struggled to replace his impact ever since.

Also, aside from Adam Douhi and maybe the other Leilua, is there another player who you can think of that has improved at the Tigers in recent times?
CrabLord
Noa Nadruku

Post by CrabLord »

yeh raiders wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:12 pm
Raider Azz wrote: August 24, 2021, 10:58 pm
yeh raiders wrote:

I don’t think comparing his Tigers form to what he did in green is in any way fair.

He was the loosest of units at the Roosters and Newcastle and only really excelled here.

He was an absolute gun here and lost the plot following his axing. Ricky knew how to get the best out of him, but he got greedy and cut him loose and we’ve struggled to replace his impact ever since.

Also, aside from Adam Douhi and maybe the other Leilua, is there another player who you can think of that has improved at the Tigers in recent times?
Mate he lost the plot before his axing.

Remember the Manly game?

The word is he was allowed extra time off in the offseason for his wedding and came back almost 10kg overweight first day back at preseason. Two weeks later than every other player. He was bluntly asked why he thought he was better than every other player who came back at playing weight, raring to go for the season. He was excluded from the playing group to hit the treadmill, he proceeded to throw a tantrum and left training never to return. Was then sacked.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:44 pm Imagine! Someone having "words" with Phil Rothfield!

You deadset say that about anyone associated with the Raiders. Has nothing to do with ability and the job they're meant to be doing either.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

afgtnk wrote: August 24, 2021, 11:58 pm
greeneyed wrote: August 24, 2021, 9:44 pm Imagine! Someone having "words" with Phil Rothfield!

You deadset say that about anyone associated with the Raiders. Has nothing to do with ability and the job they're meant to be doing either.
Actually, I don’t.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Canberra Raiders sack Curtis Scott

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Tara Rushton made some interesting comments on Back Page last night. Well I thought so, since she’s married to Cronk.

She started out by saying how he’s obviously talented, won 2 GF’s with the Storm etc. Then she said something about how the Storm value strong attitudes and behaviours, and they don’t willingly let go of people who have these behaviours.

I know we’ve said that here multiple times, but reading between the lines, it sounded like he might have had issues down there also?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 25, 2021, 6:38 am Tara Rushton made some interesting comments on Back Page last night. Well I thought so, since she’s married to Cronk.

She started out by saying how he’s obviously talented, won 2 GF’s with the Storm etc. Then she said something about how the Storm value strong attitudes and behaviours, and they don’t willingly let go of people who have these behaviours.

I know we’ve said that here multiple times, but reading between the lines, it sounded like he might have had issues down there also?
There was smoke about similar things- drinking and aggro. His ex girlfriend posted things like, "haha how do you like it. Karma baby" after the police beat Scott up... Melbourne kept a lid on it.

http://the81stminute.com/2020/01/ex-gir ... tt-arrest/
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I'm glad to be rid of Scott. Classic under achiever, and a problem child to boot.

As for Buzz not liking Don, it's because Buzz made some very ill informed opinions and criticisms of Don several years ago. Don then tore him a new one. Buzz has sulked ever since.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

BadnMean wrote: August 25, 2021, 6:47 am
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: August 25, 2021, 6:38 am Tara Rushton made some interesting comments on Back Page last night. Well I thought so, since she’s married to Cronk.

There was smoke about similar things- drinking and aggro. His ex girlfriend posted things like, "haha how do you like it. Karma baby" after the police beat Scott up... Melbourne kept a lid on it.

http://the81stminute.com/2020/01/ex-gir ... tt-arrest/
He had 2 years to run on his Melbourne contract. I recall hearing about this at the time through the media, with reports of him having personal problems and it was serious. However no journalist would be specific. He was dropped to reserve grade at the time in 2019 and that started the rise of Olam, who partnered Will Chambers in the centres. I thought it was due to Bellamy not liking his defence against Latrell in the Golden Point game when Latrell for the Roosters tore him apart in the first half. But what commentators were referring to was something more serious and personal. They were saying "I'm hearing he's got personal issues and it's serious ..." but would not specify. If what his ex-girlfriend is insinuating is true, and we didn't do our due diligence before recruiting him, or ignored it as he was seen as a good player at the time, then the club only has itself to blame.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

I’ll be glad when he and his pommy mate disappear over the horizon…
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Is everyone forgetting that Don Furner sued Phil Rothfield for defamation and won? It was back during the Dugan saga. That's why Buzz hates him