Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos
Saturday 12 June, 7:35pm
Canberra Stadium
Gates open: 5:05pm
NSW Cup: Canberra Raiders V Blacktown Sea Eagles, 5:15pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Possible shower. Medium chance of showers in the morning and early afternoon. Winds northwesterly 25 to 35 km/h decreasing to 15 to 20 km/h in the evening then becoming west to northwesterly and light in the late evening. Chance of any rain: 40 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 to 4 mm. Min 2 Max 11 Temperature at kickoff: 8, feels like 4.

The Canberra Raiders are again mired in controversy this week, with Curtis Scott stood down after an alleged nightclub fight. They are at home at Canberra Stadium in Round 14, for a must win - and bottom four - clash with the Brisbane Broncos.

Last round: 2021 Round 12. Sydney Roosters 44 - Canberra Raiders 16. It was a humiliating loss to the Roosters at Gosford, capping off a week from hell for the Raiders. Another horrible second half fade. The Raiders had players missing, big names like Josh Papalii, Joe Tapine, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Jarrod Croker. Half George Williams was released during the week, after he did not attend training and withdrew from this game. But the Roosters were even more affected by injury and suspension. The Raiders have now won one match from their past eight matches. The only match they have won was against the last placed Bulldogs - by two points.

More on Round 12: As I saw it

Team news: Raiders coach Ricky Stuart has named Matt Timoko at centre, in place of the stood-down Curtis Scott. Bailey Simonsson will switch to fullback, replacing Caleb Aekins who has been dropped to NSW Cup. Semi Valemei (hamstring) returns from injury on the wing. Josh Papalii has served a three week suspension and is named at starting prop, while Emre Guler drops to the bench. Joe Tapine will return from a knee injury on the bench. The Raiders will be missing forwards Ryan James (suspension) and Corey Horsburgh (wrist). Blues representative Jack Wighton will be hoping to back up from State of Origin I.

The Broncos have named Karmichael Hunt at five eighth - in his first NRL game since 2009. He will partner Albert Kelly in the halves. Herbie Farnworth replaces Jamayne Isaako at fullback, with Daley Copley coming in at centre. NSW Blues forwar Payne Haas has been named at starting prop, with Thomas Flegler moving to lock. John Asiata drops to the bench.

Late changes: Matt Frawley and Harry Rushton were omitted from the Raiders squad on Friday evening, with Hudson Young and Elijah Anderson remaining on the reserves list. The Broncos lost Albert Kelly to a hamstring injury on Friday, with Tyson Gamble brought in as his replacement. David Mead and Jordan Riki were cut from the reserves.

History: The Raiders have won 21 of 54 matches against the Brisbane Broncos, with one draw. That’s just a 39 per cent win rate. Until the Round 6 clash of 2019, Canberra was on a six game losing streak against the Broncos - but have now won the past two matches. In the only meeting between the two teams in 2019, the Raiders produced a narrow, 26-22, victory at Canberra Stadium. They backed that up last year with a 36-8 win in Canberra. The Raiders have now won four of the past 10 matches between the clubs.

2020 Round 14: Canberra Raiders V Brisbane Broncos

The Raiders have only won 14 of 26 matches against Brisbane at Canberra Stadium, drawing one. The Raiders won the only other home match played between the clubs - at Seiffert Oval in 1989, in front of a record crowd of 18,272 people.

Form: Raiders: LLWLL
Broncos: LLWLL

The Broncos are coming off a 52-24 loss to the Dragons in Round 13 at Kogarah Jubilee Stadium. They have also had recent losses to the Storm (40-12), Sea Eagles (50-6) and Cowboys (19-18). The positive signs in the 34-16 win over the Roosters in Round 11 have been quickly forgotten.

Betting: The Raiders are surprisingly warm, $1.31 favourites. The Broncos are paying $3.50 and have 10.5 points start in the line betting. The Broncos' odds have lengthened over the course of the week.

Stat attack: The Brisbane Broncos have the worst defence in the competition, having now conceded 68 tries and over 30 points per game on average. The Raiders are the middle of the pack in terms of defence, but they're in the bottom four teams, along with the Broncos, in attack. The Raiders have the worst completion rate in the NRL, while the Broncos have the lowest average share of possession (Raiders 15th). One thing the Raiders will need to watch for are the Broncos' offloads. They rank second in the competition for offloads per game.

2021 Season record: Raiders 4 and 8 (13th, -86)
Broncos 3 and 10 (15th, -182)

Attack: Raiders 18 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on tries scored
Broncos 17 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 15th on tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 9th on fewest tries conceded
Broncos 31 points and 5 tries conceded per match, ranked 16th on fewest tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 47 per cent, Broncos 47 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 75 per cent, Broncos 77 per cent

Running: Raiders 1532 running metres from 175 runs (11 dummy half runs), 155 kick return metres, 550 post contact metres per match
Broncos 1524 running metres from 170 runs (8 dummy half runs), 152 kick return metres, 495 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 29, Broncos 28 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Broncos 3 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Broncos 2 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Broncos 2 per match

Offloads: Raiders 9, Broncos 12 per match

Kicking: Raiders 535 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match
Broncos 550 kicking metres from 19 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 358 made, 30 missed, 18 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Broncos 336 made, 34 missed, 18 ineffective per match, 87 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1516, Broncos 1598 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 12, Broncos 12 per match

Penalties conceded: Raiders 4, Broncos 4 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 5, Broncos 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Broncos 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 4, Broncos 4 per match

Key match-ups:

Jordan Rapana and Xavier Coates. Jordan Rapana has been one of the Raiders' best in 2021. The veteram is not the player that he was, and he's not as quick, but he's enthusiastic, experienced and is still making tackle breaks and scoring tries. Xavier Coates will be backing up from Origin I. The 20 year old has recently signed with the Melbourne Storm - and we know the eye that Craig Bellamy has for talent. But looking for the numbers in 2021, Jordan Rapana pretty clearly wins this "skin".

Josh Papalii and Payne Haas. Josh Papalii would have been playing in Origin I for the Maroons this week, but for a three week suspension. On Saturday night, he'll face Blues prop Payne Haas - who will be backing up from Wednesday night's inter-State clash. That should give big Papa some advantage - but his form has been down in 2021, and his numbers don't quite stack up to those posted by Haas. Haas has averaged 68 post contact metres this season, compared with 52 for Papalii. The Raiders will have to do their best to contain the 21 year old - who stands at 194 cms and 117 kgs. I think we can expect Papa will have a point to prove.

Josh Hodgson and Jake Turpin. Josh Hodgson forced his way back into the starting team against the Roosters, with Tom Starling dropping back to the bench. It is a hooking combination that still needs some work, and Starling probably should have been injected earlier than he was in Round 12. The veteran Hodgson comes up against 24 year old Jake Turpin this week. Hodgson's attacking numbers are superior to those of Turpin, but defence is one area where Turpin compares well. His tackle efficiency sits at 94 per cent, compared with 90 per cent for Hodgson. Overall, there's not much between the 2021 statistics for these two. It should be a good contest.

My tip: The numbers point to a Raiders win, but they tell a tale of woe for both clubs, really. I can't really say I'm confident that Canberra can win - with the club in turmoil off the field, and not performing on the field. The return of Josh Papalii and Joe Tapine is a big boost for the home team. Not that the home ground advantage seems to be worth much this season for Canberra. They've won just one game at Canberra Stadium this year, in Round 1 against the Tigers. I'll tip the Raiders by two, but almost anything could happen in this game. It'll depend on which team turns up with their heads switched on.

What they're saying:

Canberra Raiders coach Ricky Stuart on Matt Timoko: "He's a young player who has got a great opportunity now. He's worked hard at his game and it will be his third appearance so it's a good opportunity for him."

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Semi Valemei
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Elijah Anderson
19. Hudson Young

Injury/Suspension

Ryan James, Suspended (Rd 15)
Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 19-20)
Harley Smith-Shields, Biceps Tendon (Rd 20-22)
Jarrod Croker, Knee (Indefinite)
Curtis Scott, Stood down (Indefinite)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)

Brisbane Broncos

1. Herbie Farnworth
2. Xavier Coates
3. Dale Copley
4. Jesse Arthars
5. Selwyn Cobbo
6. Karmichael Hunt
22. Tyson Gamble
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
13. Thomas Flegler

14. Kobe Hetherington
15. John Asiata
16. Keenan Palasia
17. TC Robati

18. Tesi Niu
19. Cory Paix

Injury/Suspension

Rhys Kennedy, Infection (Rd 15)
Brodie Croft, Knee (Rd 15-17)
Kotoni Staggs, Suspended (Rd 16)
Anthony Milford, Knee (Rd 18)
Ben Te'o, Biceps (Rd 18)
Patrick Carrigan, Knee (Season)

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Liam Kennedy, Wyatt Raymond
Video referee: Matt Noyen

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersBroncos

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
Ilanraiders
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Rubenrunlikeatrainandhitlikeatruckwiki!

Re: 2021 Rd 14 V Broncos: Game Day

Post by Ilanraiders »

Game day!! Go the Raiders💚💚
"Learn to appreciate what you have, before time makes you appreciate what you had"!! RAIDERSTILLIDIE!!
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I think we’ll win by plenty..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Heading to the airport soon. Been a few years since I've watched Raiders in Canberra. Looking forward to witnessing our season turnaround.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:58 am Heading to the airport soon. Been a few years since I've watched Raiders in Canberra. Looking forward to witnessing our season turnaround.
Throw in a jumper my friend!
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:58 am Heading to the airport soon. Been a few years since I've watched Raiders in Canberra. Looking forward to witnessing our season turnaround.
Or 5..

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:02 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Or 5..

Yep - I can’t see how anything coming from the clouds today won’t be snow. It is a shocker of a day here. Welcome to Canberra Broncos!!!!!
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Billy Walker wrote:
Or 5..

Got a few layers. :)

Biggest challenge is getting my daughter to understand how cold it will be and to dress appropriately. :doubt:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:20 am
Billy Walker wrote:
Or 5..

Got a few layers. :)

Biggest challenge is getting my daughter to understand how cold it will be and to dress appropriately. :doubt:
On the upside, if she doesn’t, she will have a game day experience that results in her never questioning her Fathers good advice ever again!
irvste
Sam Backo
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by irvste »

We got this.. In the race to give the game away in the second half broncos will beat us to it by playing even worse than us... By losing that race we win

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Ice baths after the game will have very minimal effect this evening. Phone is saying it’s currently 8 degrees and feels like 4. I’d say that is generous! By kick off it will be nippy!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Current temperature is 7.6, apparent temperature is 1.

Forecast for kickoff is 8, apparent temperature 4.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:21 pm Current temperature is 7.6, apparent temperature is 1.

Forecast for kickoff is 8, apparent temperature 4.
Far be it for me to question the fine folks at the Bureau of Meteorology, but there’s a $50 in my pocket that says the mercury wont rise after the sun goes down on a June night in Canberra.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

It’s forecast to hit 11 this afternoon.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:51 pm It’s forecast to hit 11 this afternoon.
And we were predicted to make the GF this year. Sometimes forecasts and predictions just don’t eventuate. I just went out to get some more firewood and I’m tipping we are a better chance to make the GF than the chances of the temperature hitting 11 today.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:Heading to the airport soon. Been a few years since I've watched Raiders in Canberra. Looking forward to witnessing our season turnaround.
I'm down big man, I'll let you know where.
At Arboretum now

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Billy Walker wrote:
greeneyed wrote: June 12, 2021, 12:51 pm It’s forecast to hit 11 this afternoon.
And we were predicted to make the GF this year. Sometimes forecasts and predictions just don’t eventuate. I just went out to get some more firewood and I’m tipping we are a better chance to make the GF than the chances of the temperature hitting 11 today.
Absolutely no chance

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

No matter how much I hate this team right now I can't shake the feeling we win our next three.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We hit 9.4 at 11:24am, now 7.3, apparent 1.3.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Broncos 28 20
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: June 12, 2021, 1:15 pm
Northern Raider wrote:Heading to the airport soon. Been a few years since I've watched Raiders in Canberra. Looking forward to witnessing our season turnaround.
I'm down big man, I'll let you know where.
At Arboretum now

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
Catcha at the game boney
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of tonight’s NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Brisbane Broncos. Join us for live scores at chat from 7:35 pm. Please join in with your own commentary.

Sia Soliola to start at lock, Ryan Sutton to the bench.

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Semi Valemei
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matt Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
16. Sia Soliola

13. Ryan Sutton
14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Elijah Anderson

Brisbane Broncos

1. Herbie Farnworth
5. Selwyn Cobbo
3. Dale Copley
4. Jesse Arthars
18. Tesi Niu
6. Karmichael Hunt
22. Tyson Gamble
8. Matthew Lodge
9. Jake Turpin
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Junior
15. John Asiata

13. Thomas Flegler
14. Kobe Hetherington
17. TC Robati
19. Cory Paix

16. Keenan Palasia
Last edited by The Greenhouse on June 12, 2021, 7:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Greenhouse score update service
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Hopefully Hunt has a Michael De Vere style come back.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

greeneyed wrote:We hit 9.4 at 11:24am, now 7.3, apparent 1.3.
Dropped to 17 degree here in Noosa at 7pm. Had to put the fire on....couldn't feel my toes.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

T_R wrote:
greeneyed wrote:We hit 9.4 at 11:24am, now 7.3, apparent 1.3.
Dropped to 17 degree here in Noosa at 7pm. Had to put the fire on....couldn't feel my toes.

Hello 17 degrees. We'll see you in October.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Strapped in for this **** show. LFG.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Who is Elijah Anderson?
Dylan’s Raiders
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by Dylan’s Raiders »

Xavier Coates out.... surely we win this.
PerthRaider86
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii - Alan Tongue

Post by PerthRaider86 »

If we can't beat this Broncos team by a lot........
Perth Based Raiders Fan
Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Dylan’s Raiders wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:25 pm Xavier Coates out.... surely we win this.
The more adversity the Ponies face, the more I grow concerned we will blow it.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Got a good feeling about tonight- can feel it in my bone.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

A freezing cold night and Brisbane don’t have their coats - sux to be them
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Broncos kick off, we are underway!
The Greenhouse score update service
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Angel Marina on the horn - loved that dude back in the day
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Billy Walker wrote: June 12, 2021, 7:36 pm Angel Marina on the horn - loved that dude back in the day
wasn't he the commentator on 2CC?