Wests Tigers deny interest in Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Raiders won’t release Josh Hodgson to Brisbane Broncos

Post by Botman »

i dont know where Hodgson goes, but it still feels fairly unlikely he's here in 2022.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders won’t release Josh Hodgson to Brisbane Broncos

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'd like him to stay one more year. Let's see how his combination with Savage, who should be the fullback, works out. I like Hodgson and Starling playing that combination with Hodgson starting.

I think we are a top 8 candidate if we sign Fogarty and Peachey. Some fans may not like the potential signings but I do - they are much better than what we currently have. GC is not a basket case club anymore like some fans have made out. They are on the up and both contributed to their success in the last 2 years. And when Ricky has made the top 8, it's either the prelim final or GF (see his record for Roosters, Cronulla, and us).
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Wests Tigers deny interest in Josh Hodgson

Post by Matt »

I know I'm in the minority, but we need him around next yr. Starlo and Trevilyan aren't ready to be a teams 9s.

And, should we sign Peach, we dont want to waste him at 9. Coz while he can fill in, he isnt a 9.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:15 pm I know I'm in the minority, but we need him around next yr. Starlo and Trevilyan aren't ready to be a teams 9s.

And, should we sign Peach, we dont want to waste him at 9. Coz while he can fill in, he isnt a 9.
I’m with you on this one Matt. I suspect he might go but believe the club will be better for him staying unless there are off field issues that can’t be resolved.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

With Havili gone, I also feel we'd be thin in the 9 without Hodgo

If he does leave and we have to play against him, it would feel weird
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Probably the Tigers still pushing for that Hodgson / Brooks swap.

I'd like Hodgson to stay. Usually takes 12 - 18 months to fully recover from major knee surgery.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

gergreg wrote: September 22, 2021, 11:22 pm Probably the Tigers still pushing for that Hodgson / Brooks swap.

I'd like Hodgson to stay. Usually takes 12 - 18 months to fully recover from major knee surgery.
Agree on the surgery point. I'm also not sold on Starling as a permanent starter, I think he just needs a bit more time in first grade to start mixing his game up a bit. At the moment his best attacking option in pretty much any situation is to run, if we're losing the middle as often as we did this year then that can be negated pretty quickly.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Bloody hell, Starling led us to a prelim just last year and everyone suddenly thinks he’s not good enough to be a starting 9?

This time last year we were surprised we actually kept him because he performed so well, and we had Hodgo coming back.

Our attack FROM DUMMY HALF looked much better this year with starling at 9. Our defence at 9 looked better with starling. Our attack out wide looked better with Hodgo playing lock. Add in Fogarty as a genuine 7 and you nullify the need for Hodgo. Add in someone like Peachey, and Hodgo quickly becomes surplus.

The question really should be, does Hodgo add enough to justify being paid 800+k, or is he now stifling our cap as well as our go forward?
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'm rather indifferent about whether he stays or not. Like others I think his days are numbered. No one publicly criticises their employer the way he did and keeps their job imo. That said, while I think he is valuable to us on the field, I'm not sure it's worth 800k. If you dangled 800k in front of the block of cheese I'm not sure he'd come but then again I'm not sure he wouldn't either and no one would deny that move

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Coastalraider wrote: September 23, 2021, 5:18 am Bloody hell, Starling led us to a prelim just last year and everyone suddenly thinks he’s not good enough to be a starting 9?

This time last year we were surprised we actually kept him because he performed so well, and we had Hodgo coming back.

Our attack FROM DUMMY HALF looked much better this year with starling at 9. Our defence at 9 looked better with starling. Our attack out wide looked better with Hodgo playing lock. Add in Fogarty as a genuine 7 and you nullify the need for Hodgo. Add in someone like Peachey, and Hodgo quickly becomes surplus.

The question really should be, does Hodgo add enough to justify being paid 800+k, or is he now stifling our cap as well as our go forward?
I saw it the same way this season. Shoehorning Hodgo into #13 isn't really a solution- if some ball playing and spark is needed from lock, Peach does it better and faster, for half the price. He's a good support player too.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

BadnMean wrote: September 23, 2021, 7:32 am
Coastalraider wrote: September 23, 2021, 5:18 am Bloody hell, Starling led us to a prelim just last year and everyone suddenly thinks he’s not good enough to be a starting 9?

I saw it the same way this season. Shoehorning Hodgo into #13 isn't really a solution- if some ball playing and spark is needed from lock, Peach does it better and faster, for half the price. He's a good support player too.
He is also less than half the price, younger, more dynamic at that role.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Maybe there is some recency bias but we shouldn't be looking at 2021 Hodgson being what we get out of 2022 Hodgson. I live in hope.

The majority of this forum knows and acknowledges the club handling of the Williams exit was poor. If Hodgson sits at a media conference trotting out the clubs talking points, the same people complaining about his comments would complain about his lack of sincerity and/or lack of support for a team mate. It's one of those issues where you have a staunch 'pro-club' group v an 'anti-club' group and neither side will budge. Doesn't matter what he says or does there will be criticism.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:06 am Maybe there is some recency bias but we shouldn't be looking at 2021 Hodgson being what we get out of 2022 Hodgson. I live in hope.

The majority of this forum knows and acknowledges the club handling of the Williams exit was poor. If Hodgson sits at a media conference trotting out the clubs talking points, the same people complaining about his comments would complain about his lack of sincerity and/or lack of support for a team mate. It's one of those issues where you have a staunch 'pro-club' group v an 'anti-club' group and neither side will budge. Doesn't matter what he says or does there will be criticism.
I just don't think Hodgo had the wheels or athleticism to ever be a good mobile lock. I used to hate when we played him there. He's a hooker or bust for mine. Happy for others to disagree though.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I agree 100% with those saying we should keep Hodgson around next year. I also agree that he won't be unfortunately. Any team that signs him will want him straight away for 2022, nobody will want to sign him to wait for 2023 so with this being his last contract I can see him agitating for an early release unless we agree to extend him ourselves. Which I doubt we'll do.
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

I think he'll stay.
The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.