Wests Tigers deny interest in Josh Hodgson

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Re: Raiders won’t release Josh Hodgson to Brisbane Broncos

Post by kiwi raider »

gangrenous wrote: June 19, 2021, 5:39 pm Yeah, no he shouldn’t.

If he has a 3 year 1.5M deal on the table say, then he’s wagering a guaranteed 700k on top of his contract against MAYBE 800-900k if he keeps fit and form (note I’m being more generous than you signing him at 400-450)

Would you turn down 700 for what’s probably a 50/50 at best on bumping it to 800 or 900?

I wouldn’t.
i said significantly more than 350-400k per year.
Have a look at some of the starting hookers in the comp. No reason a fit hodgson can't demand 600k or more early next year
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Broncos can enjoy Hodgson's inability to do anything other than pass up the middle
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If he has a 3 year 1.5M deal on the table say, then he’s wagering a guaranteed 700k on top of his contract against MAYBE 800-900k if he keeps fit and form (note I’m being more generous than you signing him at 400-450)

Would you turn down 700 for what’s probably a 50/50 at best on bumping it to 800 or 900?

I wouldn’t.
It's the opportunity loss too
If he doesnt go to Brisbane now, they'll find another option and that opportunity likely will not be there in 2023... He has to look around the league and figure out how many teams might be in the market for his services at 33 in 2023.
Im tipping the market will be very weak

It's not a strong market now, but he can cash in on a desperate coaching trying to save his job. The Raiders should simply tell him they're not paying a cent but will agree to a mutal release or will release him to the broncos if they take the full value. That's it. That's all we need to do and then it's up to Josh and his new club to figure out what to do from there
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: June 19, 2021, 7:33 pm Broncos can enjoy Hodgson's inability to do anything other than pass up the middle
Well. Typical Hodgo.

Set up a beautiful sleight of hand deception close ranger.

Then played one out hit ups all game or took it himself for **** on crucial plays.

Every time we got a turnover or broken play we ran 2 settlers straight away. Maybe dishing off 5m before the line to a forward makes a nice looking 10m run for the stats but you've just blown any chance of stretching the other teams back pedalling defence.

When Stuart played half he spread it after a turnover or break every time. Why do his teams play such conservative junk?

Saints were poor mostly but actually tried to play enterprising footy all game. They took some risks to score some points and eventually it paid off.

Raiders played 2019 get-in-the-grind-ball and looked completely outdated.

The new rules support playing footy, ball movement, attacking play, speed and adventurism. We don't.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I’ll drive Hodgo to Canberra Airport myself
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

We really don't have a spine guys. Put him with a proper 7 and 1 (with more than 2 games although i like what i see so far) and different story.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

benda wrote: June 20, 2021, 1:42 am We really don't have a spine guys. Put him with a proper 7 and 1 (with more than 2 games although i like what i see so far) and different story.
Been hearing that for years though and it's always the halfbacks fault...
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I don't think anything Don has said is controversial.

Hodgo himself would know he's not worth what he signed his last deal on, he's 2 ACLs and 4 years on from that

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

BadnMean wrote: June 20, 2021, 9:39 am
benda wrote: June 20, 2021, 1:42 am We really don't have a spine guys. Put him with a proper 7 and 1 (with more than 2 games although i like what i see so far) and different story.
Been hearing that for years though and it's always the halfbacks fault...
Maybe its true.. sezer started coming good and we let him go. We got a backup 7 playing now.. GW didnt work out.

CNK injured.
MrMilk
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Terry Campese

Post by MrMilk »

Broncos brush Hodgson

The Brisbane Broncos have abandoned the club’s pursuit of England hooker Josh Hodgson as the Red Hill roster gets a multimillion-dollar overhaul.

The Broncos had been monitoring the Hodgson situation with the Canberra Raiders since the beginning of the season but the Green Machine no.9 now looks set to remain in the national capital.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 044fa32e4c

It's James Hooper so who knows but hopefully he is on the money
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

surely they throw everything at Brandon Smith

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Neeeegz
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Big red

Post by Neeeegz »

Radicalraider = nickman
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Talk about mixed emotions, half of me is happy that the Broncs appear to have dropped away and half of me is questioning why the worst team in the competition isn’t interested in one of our better players…..
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:19 pm Talk about mixed emotions, half of me is happy that the Broncs appear to have dropped away and half of me is questioning why the worst team in the competition isn’t interested in one of our better players…..
The way the Broncos are going releasing players still under contract and having to pay some of their freight for years to come they are not going to have a full salary cap to pay players like Hodgson for years to come. It is being reported that they are going to pay $500K of Lodge's deal with the Warriors for the next three years. Broncos are going to be hamstrung by their cap the same way the Bulldogs have been for a long time.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: June 19, 2021, 7:47 pm

I wouldn’t.
It's the opportunity loss too
If he doesnt go to Brisbane now, they'll find another option and that opportunity likely will not be there in 2023... He has to look around the league and figure out how many teams might be in the market for his services at 33 in 2023.
Im tipping the market will be very weak

It's not a strong market now, but he can cash in on a desperate coaching trying to save his job. The Raiders should simply tell him they're not paying a cent but will agree to a mutal release or will release him to the broncos if they take the full value. That's it. That's all we need to do and then it's up to Josh and his new club to figure out what to do from there
if we dont have anyone better to fill the cap space, why bother releasing him?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

We'll see what happens in the off season
there is quite a few moving parts particularly for the broncos and their cap

Im fairly confident if they can make it work cap wise, there would be mutual interest... but if the Lodge deal is anything to go by, i think that's going to be a hard thing to achieve, and they probably know that now hence the report of them abandoning the idea of Hodgson
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

The only thing I'd release to the Broncos would be coccobacillus bacterium

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Green Blogger wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:30 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:19 pm Talk about mixed emotions, half of me is happy that the Broncs appear to have dropped away and half of me is questioning why the worst team in the competition isn’t interested in one of our better players…..
The way the Broncos are going releasing players still under contract and having to pay some of their freight for years to come they are not going to have a full salary cap to pay players like Hodgson for years to come. It is being reported that they are going to pay $500K of Lodge's deal with the Warriors for the next three years. Broncos are going to be hamstrung by their cap the same way the Bulldogs have been for a long time.
Raiders should definitely have made a play for Lodge. Tip in $5k and get him to water and mow the training ground at Braddon. The bloke would have a job that mentality challenges him picking up $505k/year and the raiders get 3 years worth of greens keeping for $15k total - Bargain!

Donny asleep again….
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

bonehead wrote: July 2, 2021, 12:11 pm surely they throw everything at Brandon Smith

He's contracted to Storm for next year. They can't throw a cent at him.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Green Blogger wrote: July 2, 2021, 2:30 pm
Raiders should definitely have made a play for Lodge. Tip in $5k and get him to water and mow the training ground at Braddon. The bloke would have a job that mentality challenges him picking up $505k/year and the raiders get 3 years worth of greens keeping for $15k total - Bargain!

Donny asleep again….
Image Image Image

MAKE IT HAPPEN DONNY!
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Interested if this is an Ikin decision. Seems to coincide with his appointment.

I’d say not, if these negotiations are happening months in advance
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 3, 2021, 10:34 am Interested if this is an Ikin decision. Seems to coincide with his appointment.
Actually true. It would have to be, you'd think

Ikin used to talk about Hodgson a fair bit though on NRL360 though, and how they needed to beef up / get quality and experience in their spine? If I remember correctly
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 2, 2021, 10:07 pm
bonehead wrote: July 2, 2021, 12:11 pm surely they throw everything at Brandon Smith

He's contracted to Storm for next year. They can't throw a cent at him.
They can in a few months time
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Re: Lodge, I thought I heard that Broncos went cold on releasing Lodge and Pangai, and I might be making this bit up but I also thought it had to do with the fact that they couldn't afford to be carrying big portions of their contracts.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Canberra Milk wrote:
Fuifui Bradbrad wrote: July 3, 2021, 10:34 am Interested if this is an Ikin decision. Seems to coincide with his appointment.
Actually true. It would have to be, you'd think

Ikin used to talk about Hodgson a fair bit though on NRL360 though, and how they needed to beef up / get quality and experience in their spine? If I remember correctly
Yeah but just because he likes him and talks him up, doesn’t mean he thinks he’d be the right fit/price for a Broncs rebuild.

How much of the salary details would he have known on 360
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

If the Broncos need a hooker who is going to waste half of their sets on early kicks then he is your man

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Another example of Hodgo trying to be clever with early kicks and running forwards up the middle… starling got on with 20 to go and everything instantly became more direct.

In this game at the moment, if your play isn’t fast and direct it’s irrelevant.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Coastalraider wrote:Another example of Hodgo trying to be clever with early kicks and running forwards up the middle… starling got on with 20 to go and everything instantly became more direct.

Early kicks were game plan from the coach, for sure

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Noobs
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by Noobs »

Only real option for rest of the year is Hodgo to half, Starling to 9 and Havili 14.
Pete Cash
Ruben Wiki

Post by Pete Cash »

Coastalraider wrote: July 4, 2021, 10:43 am Another example of Hodgo trying to be clever with early kicks and running forwards up the middle… starling got on with 20 to go and everything instantly became more direct.

That is 100% sticks tactic because the halves did it too
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Noobs wrote:Only real option for rest of the year is Hodgo to half, Starling to 9 and Havili 14.
Got to be tried.

Can’t have Williams again.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Noobs wrote:Only real option for rest of the year is Hodgo to half, Starling to 9 and Havili 14.
Or Schneider to 14

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Why would we play Havilli over Schneider?
Surely the remaining games are spent giving our youth experience and squeezing out players we don’t want in 2022.
Salvage something from this awful season.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Perhaps a player swap deal will eventuate?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Apparently there has been a rumour linking Josh Hodgson to the Wests Tigers... but the Tigers are denying it, according to The Canberra Times: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239