Post by The Greenhouse »

2021 Rd 15 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V St George Illawarra Dragons
Saturday 19 June, 5:30pm
Wollongong Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders travel to Wollongong in Round 15. Who would you like to see turn out in green for the game? Name your team and see how you go when the official teams are named on Tuesday.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Bailey Simonsson
2. Semi Valemei
3. Sebastian Kris
4. Matthew Timoko
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Dunamis Lui
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliott Whitehead
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Emre Guler
16. Sia Soliola
17. Joseph Tapine

18. Xavier Savage
19. Hudson Young
20. Matt Frawley
21. Ryan James

Injury/Suspension

Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 19-20)
Jarrod Croker, Knee (Indefinite)
Curtis Scott, Stood down (Indefinite)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)

St George Illawarra Dragons

1. Matthew Dufty
2. Cody Ramsey
3. Brayden Wiliame
4. Gerard Beale
5. Mikaele Ravalawa
6. Corey Norman
7. Ben Hunt
8. Blake Lawrie
9. Andrew McCullough
10. Paul Vaughan
11. Tariq Sims
12. Jack Bird
13. Jackson Ford

14. Talatau Amone
15. Josh Kerr
16. Daniel Alvaro
17. Jack de Belin

18. Adam Clune
19. Poasa Faamausili
20. Tyrell Sloan
21. Zac Lomax

Injury/Suspension

Josh McGuire, Suspension (Rd 16)
Tyrell Fuimaono, Suspension (Rd 16)
Cameron McInnes, Knee (Season)

Officials

Referee: Chris Sutton
Touch judges: Nick Beashel, Jon Stone
Video referee: Alan Shortall

NRL teams: Click here
NSW Cup teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLDragonsRaiders

The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Re: 2021 Rd 15 V Dragons: Teams and Previews

Post by afgtnk »

Can't believe I'm getting to say this - same team that WON this week.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

afgtnk wrote: June 12, 2021, 10:01 pm Can't believe I'm getting to say this - same team that WON this week.

Same team, baby
Let’s **** gooooo
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Winning form is good form so there would be no changes from me. Sam Williams was hobbling at the end of the match and I hope he will be right to go for the Dragons match. For different reasons I'll be interested in the performances of Dufty and Vaughan. Dufty as a potential recruit and Vaughan because he grew up a Raider and I reckon he is a good player to watch.

I reckon Hook will have a game plan for our young backs. Here's hoping the enthusiasm of youth can get us over the line against a side with a short turn around this week.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Happy to roll with the same team although I wouldn't mind seeing one of the younger guys debut
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

We will win by plenty..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Crusader
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Crusader »

well, here we are, yes it was Broncos but we won like we played Broncos, How good was Papa, Simmonson did very well, bro how good was Moko, Rapana really really really really wants a try lol, I just had a small issue with some last tackle 20m out, Would like some grubbers for repeat sets. But I said the Bye, is the turning point.

it was so good seeing the smiles in the sheds, Ricky talking with Hodgson, Sia with the fans.

one Game at a time boys, Dragons who have a 5 day turn around, big game wont be easy but winable. Raiders are $2.25 good odds
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

A win had made us all feel better, so I can only assume the boys are feeling as good.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Ken Nagas

Post by Raiders666 »

We win this easy then we will be in the top 8
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well both teams smashed the Broncos, so I guess that means should be an even contest...
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bailey Simonsson set to line up against Matt Dufty in Raiders clash with Dragons

For Bailey Simonsson this one won't be personal. But he will be going up against the Canberra Raiders' potential future fullback.

"It's not really a personal battle. He's a great player obviously. He's been a great fullback for a little while now so it will be exciting if I get the nod again to test myself against him and play some footy at fullback.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I'd like to see Simmo backup last nights efforts. I'm really glad he played like he did. Proven he can really mix it in FG. I'm a fan, have been since he got here. Has his limitations, but one of those guys who always has effort.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Matt wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:34 pm I'd like to see Simmo backup last nights efforts. I'm really glad he played like he did. Proven he can really mix it in FG. I'm a fan, have been since he got here. Has his limitations, but one of those guys who always has effort.
his physical traits have always been enticing and it was good to see him showcase that athleticism on the park
In a lost season, i'm looking for things to excite me. CHN continued improved level of play on the edge is fun, Guler is playing himself back into some shape, the young guys like Timoko, Semi and Kris and tracking their developement is fun, and now we have Simo too

It's at least SOMETHING to cling to as a fan in what has been a very disappointing season
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:41 pm
Matt wrote: June 13, 2021, 8:34 pm I'd like to see Simmo backup last nights efforts. I'm really glad he played like he did. Proven he can really mix it in FG. I'm a fan, have been since he got here. Has his limitations, but one of those guys who always has effort.
his physical traits have always been enticing and it was good to see him showcase that athleticism on the park
In a lost season, i'm looking for things to excite me. CHN continued improved level of play on the edge is fun, Guler is playing himself back into some shape, the young guys like Timoko, Semi and Kris and tracking their developement is fun, and now we have Simo too

It's at least SOMETHING to cling to as a fan in what has been a very disappointing season
Agreed
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

It was the performance I was hoping for from Simo to show something. I don't think he's a winger. Never showed anything like that as a winger.

Maybe he needed the fraction extra space and time a FB gets as opposed to a winger usually does.

Based on that, I suppose we give him another run there next week. That was good. He's showing he is worth retaining, even as a backup FB/winger in the top 30, fire Aekins into the sun.

What we do with him long term? Backup FB? Does he turn into a genuine FB option if he keeps playing well and Dufty doesn't pan out? He'd need to be better than CNK. Some of those runs/passes looked more like centre play. I still reckon if we ever out him back to the wing, we just get no attack, steady ruck outs and pretty solid defence again- that's a backup winger imo.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Bright start to second coming as a No.1 for Canberra Raiders back Bailey Simonsson

Bailey Simonsson knows his work without the ball will be critical to him making his second stint in the number one jersey a success for the Canberra Raiders.

"Defensively it's the biggest challenge, getting the numbers right and there's a lot of running in the back you don't see on TV," Simonsson said. "That's the biggest challenge, but I have been working hard with our defensive coaches to work on that and keep improving each week."

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/14/bri ... as-a-no.1/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:05 am It was the performance I was hoping for from Simo to show something. I don't think he's a winger. Never showed anything like that as a winger.

Maybe he needed the fraction extra space and time a FB gets as opposed to a winger usually does.

Based on that, I suppose we give him another run there next week. That was good. He's showing he is worth retaining, even as a backup FB/winger in the top 30, fire Aekins into the sun.

What we do with him long term? Backup FB? Does he turn into a genuine FB option if he keeps playing well and Dufty doesn't pan out? He'd need to be better than CNK. Some of those runs/passes looked more like centre play. I still reckon if we ever out him back to the wing, we just get no attack, steady ruck outs and pretty solid defence again- that's a backup winger imo.
I agree he appears more comfortable at fullback than wing, though it's hard to put the finger on why. Maybe because he feels more free to choose where to run rather than on the wing where he generally stuck to his lane for the entire match. This allows the natural instincts of his 7's background to come into play.

One area he needs to work on is kick coverage. He let a couple of balls bounce where he need to get there on the full. This was mostly early in the game and may have been a confidence issue. I don't recall him doing it in the 2nd half.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I wouldn't get too carried away with Simonsson at fullback, guys. Apart from the impressive setup for Valemei, there's not much that really sticks out as being exceptional in that performance.

The Broncos were being done by basic runs and simple catch and passing most of the time - stuff that isn't effective enough against most team.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We will be playing finals footy
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Watching the Canterbury v St George game with 10 mins to go. Dragons very unimpressive. They look old and slow - Bird, Beale, McCullough, Alvaro. Dufty has done nothing, bad misread on Averillo's second try. Bad pass which was too hard for Bird close to the line. Hunt played like one of our halfbacks some years ago putting it over the dead ball line when Canterbury only had 12 men. Didn't score then. Hunt and Norman have done nothing. Vaughan has been hardly sighted. Dragon's goal line defence and marker defence woeful. Made Jeremy Marshall-King look like Damien Cook running from dummy half. Made Averillo look good. They don't have much pace and Canterbury's zippier players like Marshall-King and Averillo had a field day.
Ramsey hardly got into the game. De Belin is trying to play the Jake T lock role but didn't do much. Dragons not offering much attack. Cotric not showing much for Canterbury - quiet game and hasn't been involved.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Cool so they'll pump us next week then

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

Raiders666 wrote: June 14, 2021, 3:52 pm We will be playing finals footy
Incredible what a runaway comp means for also rans like us. We win this weekend and we are pretty much guaranteed to be in the 8 at the end of the round. Crazy.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Scared Hitless wrote: June 14, 2021, 5:55 pm
Incredible what a runaway comp means for also rans like us. We win this weekend and we are pretty much guaranteed to be in the 8 at the end of the round. Crazy.
Right now Cowboys and Dragons round out the top 8. When you look at the teams below them it's fair to say there will be some very ordinary teams make the finals this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Resurrecting Raiders Papalii's priority despite 'hurt' of Maroons mauling

Canberra enforcer Josh Papalii insists his focus is on resurrecting the Raiders' season, despite the pain of watching Queensland's humiliating State of Origin I loss.

"I'm more just desperate to play some good footy. We've started slow this year as a club. A lot of us senior players have had a slow start. The win over Brisbane was a start in the right direction to hopefully gaining some respect back," Papalii said.

Matt Timoko praises Jordan Rapana as Canberra Raiders guiding influence

Canberra Raiders young gun Matt Timoko has praised the guiding influence of veteran Jordan Rapana after his promising display against Brisbane.

"Just through training when we were working on combos, he's really vocal with what he wants," Timoko said. "He was just talking to me the whole time, giving me bits of advice when I needed it. He was a real good role model for me out there.

-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Northern Raider wrote:
Right now Cowboys and Dragons round out the top 8. When you look at the teams below them it's fair to say there will be some very ordinary teams make the finals this year.
7th and 8th will be cannon fodder

Scared Hitless
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Scared Hitless »

-TW- wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Don't underestimate the ability of the Eels to choke and the Sea Eagles are only ever one Trbojevic hamstring away from mediocrity.

That being said, we have a LOT of work to do and, barring some kind of apocalyptic disaster, Panthers V Storm GF seems almost inevitable.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

I reckon we'll see Ryan James back this week
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: June 15, 2021, 2:06 am I reckon we'll see Ryan James back this week
Sia was good the last couple of weeks imp. I imagine James and he are competing for the straight running veteran spot. Happy enough to see either in action at this stage of the season. James needs a bit more solid footy now, considering the stage of his comeback.

Guler found another gear last week so I'd be reluctant to drop him now, just maybe seeing results from him.
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

Massive game for us
Raiders666
Ruben Wiki

Post by Raiders666 »

We will win our next 3 games
Aero
Laurie Daley

Post by Aero »

If the Dufty that played against the Broncos show up, we might be in trouble. Let's hope it's the Dufty that played against the Dogs that shows up instead

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

2012, 2014 and 2015 Boogs Avatar/Signature of the Year
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

-TW- wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:05 pm
Northern Raider wrote:

Just 7th and 8th? I'd argue teams from 3rd to 8th will be cannon fodder.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Quite remarkable that we could be 7 days on from a 1/8 run and sit in the top 8.

The complete dominance of the top 2 over everyone means that 7th and 8th will probably not even need to crack a 50% win record to make the finals.
Up The Milk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

BadnMean wrote: June 15, 2021, 6:40 am
Raiders_Pat wrote: June 15, 2021, 2:06 am I reckon we'll see Ryan James back this week
Sia was good the last couple of weeks imp. I imagine James and he are competing for the straight running veteran spot. Happy enough to see either in action at this stage of the season. James needs a bit more solid footy now, considering the stage of his comeback.

Guler found another gear last week so I'd be reluctant to drop him now, just maybe seeing results from him.
Moving into the second half of the season we need to ease up on the forward rotation, pick who we want there and let them develop form, combination and consistency. I’m not fussed who we pick but let’s stick with them unless form or injury requires a change.

I’m more open to continuing to tweak and refine the backline particularly as recent additions/position changes have come up trumps.
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

As bad as the Dragons have been, we are no lock to win this week, unfortunately the Jekyll and Hyde of this team, means we have no idea what team is turning up?

Remember not to long ago we lost the plot against the Bulldogs and barely hung on, all I can say this year, is to expect the un - expected, because this team goes from rags to riches and back to rags really quickly.....
One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!