All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by BadnMean »

Botman wrote: June 16, 2021, 9:18 am
-TW- wrote: June 16, 2021, 9:16 am I have no idea what you just said, but I'm assuming it's positive

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
:lol: I was thinking the same
It's blows my mind that me and eraseroflove technically speak the same language :lol:

I for one welcome our new cockney overlord
Troll post surely. Babbles on about Widdop then suggests we buy another centre, when centre is the only area we are overstocked with contenders...
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Put me down as another to be a bit dubious about a move towards signing a 30+ half from the ESL, especially considering how ineffective he was here before he left.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I watch Widdop most weeks in the super league here in Blighty, and he is looking like a baader meinhof generalissimo on the pitch. Directing operations all over the gaff for Warrington with his Vision, Kicking and passing.

I watch Widdop most weeks in the super league here in England, and he is looking like a (Frequency illusion, also known as the Baader–Meinhof phenomenon, is a cognitive bias in which, after noticing something for the first time, there is a tendency to notice it more often, leading someone to believe that it has a high frequency (a form of selection bias). It occurs when increased awareness of something creates the illusion that it is appearing more often. Put plainly, the frequency illusion is when "a concept or thing you just found out about suddenly seems to crop up everywhere.") (the commander of a combined military force consisting of army, navy, and air force units.) on the pitch. Directing operations all over the coach for Warrington with his (a synthezoid made from vibranium, created by Ultron with the help of Helen Cho, and given life by the powerful artifact known as the Mind Stone. Originally conceived as the perfect form for Ultron, the body was taken by the Avengers before Tony Stark and Bruce Banner proceeded to upload the remnants of Stark's personal A.I. J.A.R.V.I.S. into it. Upon his birth, Vision declared he was neither Ultron nor J.A.R.V.I.S., but one that would fight with them to protect humanity. Vision had then joined with the Avengers in the Battle of Sokovia, using his powers to prevent Ultron from transferring his consciousness to the internet, and allowing the Avengers to successfully put an end to his plan.), Kicking and passing.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

I'm so confused right now. What planet is this? Asking for a friend.
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Old School Green wrote: June 16, 2021, 11:15 am I'm so confused right now. What planet is this? Asking for a friend.
I'm with you...too old to read that wall of text.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Can I buy a paragraph please?

Sthsea22
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Sthsea22 »

I think we need to pull the trigger on him for the remainder of the season at least

Sam Williams is a battler who isn't guiding us to a Premiership

Kicking game is elite plus he adds valuable goal kicking in which we are needing
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:Can I buy a paragraph please?

widdop is onfield boss

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Translation:

Widdop kicks **** and chews gum, and apparently his stocks on gum are low.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Last I saw of Widdop, he looked like he was ready for retirement in the ESL...

Can't imagine he's somehow ready for NRL again under the new rules at the ripe old age of 33...

No thanks...

Make an offer for Dylan Brown now...he has a player option for 2023...give him something to think about...Parra have too many playmakers (Moses, Gutho and Arthur)..see if we can entice him with running his own team...he has all the skills and can defend.

If we want a young half with potential, we need to pay for it.

Otherwise it's table scraps and "cast offs" as a reclamation project on a heavy discount...(Taylor, Johnson, Croft...) I don't want to consider Milford or Jacks...

Either way, were not guaranteed anything...but a 33 year old from the ESL sounds like a sure failure.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We are not seriously contending for the premiership this year , even if we can sneak into the 8.

Widdop isnt the answer to anything we need.

I hope this noise around him is just the media looking at the hole we have in our squad and trying to slam a square peg in it

No thanks . Next
Crash Ball
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Crash Ball »

I can't think of any time a stop gap half or mentor has worked out well. This isn't Cronk coming into a team packed with stars.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Crash Ball wrote: June 16, 2021, 12:22 pm I can't think of any time a stop gap half or mentor has worked out well. This isn't Cronk coming into a team packed with stars.
Maloney 2016.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2021, 12:09 pm Last I saw of Widdop, he looked like he was ready for retirement in the ESL...

Can't imagine he's somehow ready for NRL again under the new rules at the ripe old age of 33...

No thanks...

Make an offer for Dylan Brown now...he has a player option for 2023...give him something to think about...Parra have too many playmakers (Moses, Gutho and Arthur)..see if we can entice him with running his own team...he has all the skills and can defend.

If we want a young half with potential, we need to pay for it.

Otherwise it's table scraps and "cast offs" as a reclamation project on a heavy discount...(Taylor, Johnson, Croft...) I don't want to consider Milford or Jacks...

Either way, were not guaranteed anything...but a 33 year old from the ESL sounds like a sure failure.
Hard pass on Dylan Brown. Bog average half shown up by the rest of the Parra team. 1 Try/1 TA all year! Pathetic....
Leeroy Jenkins
Brett Mullins

Post by Leeroy Jenkins »

Lol Dylan Brown.

Every time I pop my head in here I wonder if anyone actually watches footy.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

I don't really get the Dylan Brown thing either
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Dylan Brown is a passenger! Put down the mayonnaise bottle GreenMachine, he ain’t it
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah not keen on Widdop, but this Meinhof blokes name keeps coming up. Does he take on the line and have a good short passing game?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Lol at how quick people judge a young half...

Brown is 20 years old with less than 50 NRL games and has to play with Moses (who people here have never rated) and you want to write him off ???..lol

This fanbase deserves a Milford or Widdop on a huge contract too, just to know what real Pain feels like...
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2021, 1:09 pm Lol at how quick people judge a young half...

Brown is 20 years old with less than 50 NRL games and has to play with Moses (who people here have never rated) and you want to write him off ???..lol

This fanbase deserves a Milford or Widdop on a huge contract too, just to know what real Pain feels like...
You’re suggesting an aggressive early (and no doubt expensive) pursuit of him - I ask you on the basis of what? The fact that he’s young and hyped?

I haven’t seen any aspect of his play that is coming close to the hype… I’m no fan of Widdop or Milford at all but at least I know what I’d be getting for the money. With Brown I have no idea! What are his dominant traits that you want to pay up for? I see a bloke jogging around the park, not putting his stamp on games
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Bennyinthewest wrote: June 15, 2021, 4:40 pm I mean if I was Schneider I'd totally want Sam as my mentor over Widdop.......it's not like Widdop was an international, played in any big games or had any success...........

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Doesn't mean that will translate into being a good mentor.

Look at Wighton. Crap at his first attempt at being a 5/8th. Williams partners him on his second attempt, Wighton feels more comfortable, eventually feels confident enough to lose the training wheels (no offence to SW) and well...
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: June 16, 2021, 1:28 pm
GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2021, 1:09 pm Lol at how quick people judge a young half...

You’re suggesting an aggressive early (and no doubt expensive) pursuit of him - I ask you on the basis of what? The fact that he’s young and hyped?

I haven’t seen any aspect of his play that is coming close to the hype… I’m no fan of Widdop or Milford at all but at least I know what I’d be getting for the money. With Brown I have no idea! What are his dominant traits that you want to pay up for? I see a bloke jogging around the park, not putting his stamp on games

He’s 20…has all the tools.
Watch the eels without him and note the difference.
How many 20 year olds are you going to find that influence the game at halfback today? What are they costing?
Do you think they find consistency at 20?
God help Schneider with the expectation setting around here…
Actually, God help any halfback because it sounds like we want to pay peanuts for the next incarnation of Peter Sterling 😂
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

We are screwed.
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

Dylan Brown is alright but he’s not a halfback.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Rickmando
John Ferguson

Post by Rickmando »

GreenMachine wrote: June 16, 2021, 2:25 pm

How many 20 year olds are you going to find that influence the game at halfback today? What are they costing?
Actually, God help any halfback because it sounds like we want to pay peanuts for the next incarnation of Peter Sterling 😂
“Has all the tools”… that’s still pretty vague. As pointed out above - he’s missing the try assist “tool”, for starters. From the games I’ve watched, I’ve not seen him stand out at all in any facet of the game
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Rickmando wrote: June 16, 2021, 3:26 pm

“Has all the tools”… that’s still pretty vague. As pointed out above - he’s missing the try assist “tool”, for starters. From the games I’ve watched, I’ve not seen him stand out at all in any facet of the game
Brown's best trait is he stays out of Moses and Gutho's way. Beyond that I can't really think of anything notable he contributes (other than unwanted news headlines)
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

I really don't think people know what they want or what to look for in a halfback. It seems that whatever bandwagon is running at the time, that's the one that's ridden.
Last edited by afgtnk on June 16, 2021, 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I think at this point "warm body" would be describe what we're looking for in 2022 at the halfback spot
Stagtime
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Furner

Post by Stagtime »

Billy Walker wrote: June 16, 2021, 12:58 pm Yeah not keen on Widdop, but this Meinhof blokes name keeps coming up. Does he take on the line and have a good short passing game?

I heard he’s a killer in defence and doesn’t mind putting up a bomb or two. :shock:
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

You take Widdop for one and half year contract with option of extension in clubs favour, starting immediately.
Stop gap until 2023.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Has a better short kicking game than anyone on our books playing in the halves (can't speak for Schneider as I haven't seen enough).
Can defend very well and has speed....unusual for a young halfback as generally you need to hide them in defence.

Clearly makes the Eels side better (I.e. improves their performances when he is in the team). They ditched Corey Norman for this kid (and there are people here that actually WANT to sign Norman :roflmao )...

My point is this - I couldn't care less what we do with halfback...just prepare to be disappointed. I know I am...It's as simple as that. You will struggle to find 20 year olds with as much NRL experience in the halves. The alternative is just developing our own (which was my suggestion over a month ago...check the tapes).

If halfback were an easy recruitment assignment, we'd have much more positive stuff to discuss (around what is available on the market) instead of picking apart the game of a 20 year old (with less than 50 games). There is literally something wrong with every single halfback available (or not available ) aside from Nathan Cleary and Luke Keary...it's laughable how high of a standard we apply to possibly the hardest position to "get right"...everyone discussed up until today (that is REALISTIC) has a problem....go read the comments...

But I digress....I personally can't wait to delve into the views (of all the halfback guru's we seemed to have cornered the market on) on the first 50 games of Schneider or any young halfback for that matter, that is unfortunate to start their career with our club.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

afgtnk wrote: June 16, 2021, 3:41 pm I really don't think people know what they want or what to look for in a halfback. It seems that whatever bandwagon is running at the time, that's the one that's ridden.
Nobody knows..
Nobody is realistic about what we'll have to fork out in terms of $$$ or time (development) if we go youth...
And you can guarantee there will be something wrong with whoever is the unfortunate person left wearing No. 7 for us...
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Northern Raider wrote: June 16, 2021, 3:37 pm

Brown's best trait is he stays out of Moses and Gutho's way. Beyond that I can't really think of anything notable he contributes (other than unwanted news headlines)
Interesting.
Almost perfectly described Aiden Sezer (only without the headlines)..
And we managed to make our first Grand Final in 25 years with him in our side...
julian87
Laurie Daley

Post by julian87 »

I think the club could do a lot worse than Widdop. I think jumping on someone based on potential is the wrong thing and if Widdop is the best stop gap I would not be against it. He’s a good player and if he has something left in his legs it could be ok.

All of the current NRL based options are pretty much no go’s for mine. If you get Widdop for a year and a half on not huge money then you can actually devise a proper plan moving forward rather than jumping on a player for the medium term that is the wrong fit.
well, I guess you could say that I'm buy curious.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga

Post by Seiffert82 »

This team needs a genuine halfback who can organise and direct the team. Getting another pure 5/8 like George Williams to partner Wighton would be a bad mistake. It has resulted in Hodgson trying to do too much from dummy half. Guys like Brown are the last thing we need. We'd be better off with Sam Williams.