Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by greeneyed »

For those asking Gareth Widdop about being homesick etc... the reason he wants to return to Australia is his wife and children live here: https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/14044559 ... the-world/
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

i stand corrected.
Still not a player i think suits our time line really and the more i think about it given his age the less im interested.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Rickmando wrote: June 14, 2021, 9:13 pm Talk about a mediocre signing. Gee I hope the club doesn’t do this.

If Schneider has it in him to be a better than average first grader, he should be knocking the door down this year or by halfway through next… his path shouldn’t be blocked by a 33 year old who still has at that point 18 or 30 months to run on a contract paying him half a mill per year!

A “bridge” halfback shouldn’t be expensive and shouldn’t be on a long deal. Sammy’s a proud loyal servant and he actually fits the bill perfectly. Unless we are getting a real needle mover we shouldn’t be spending an extra cent on halfback in 2022.
Very good post - give Schneider a shot and if he isn’t up to it flick him and find the next young thing and give him a crack. Don’t tread water with an over the hill players who’s best games are behind him (Widdop and Johnson)
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Like I said elsewhere, just rotating young'uns isn't a winning strategy either. That is what Broncos have done, that's what we did with Herbert/McCrone and co etc

Every club has a reserve up and comer halfback. Very few of them will go on to be even Chad Townsend's quality, let alone a "needle mover"
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

kiwi raider wrote:
GreenMachine wrote: June 14, 2021, 8:28 pm No idea how he has performed since leaving NRL…
At $500k it’s another calculated risk… cheaper than $900k that Johnson was chasing so why not?
Johnsons not asking for 900k.

‘I’m not asking for $900,000 a season’: Johnson sets record straight after Sharks axing

Off-contract Cronulla star Shaun Johnson knows he will never get another $900,000-a-season deal. And he says he certainly hasn’t asked for one.

“I’ve seen people talking about me asking for $900,000, and that’s simply not the case,” Johnson said. “I haven’t had any negotiations with a club about money, including the Sharks.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-m-no ... 580hf.html
Yeah he’s not asking, his manager is
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Johnson or widdop :/

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

woppadingo
Brett Mullins

Post by woppadingo »

no. You wont do any worse with Sam Williams and he is about 1/2 the price.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

I'd rather take a punt on Norman at $400k. If people were reluctant to pick up SJ due to injury concerns then surely this rules this bloke out of contention
chris83
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sia, hodgo, all of the magnificent b**tards!!!

Post by chris83 »

FROG wrote: June 14, 2021, 11:05 pm I'd rather take a punt on Norman at $400k. If people were reluctant to pick up SJ due to injury concerns then surely this rules this bloke out of contention
Are you mad!?! Corey Norman has the heart of a flea, he won't run to the line, flat out refuses to go anywhere near it, his kicking game is deadset average and honeslty if we signed this massive MASSIVE nuffie I'd have to give up on the raiders for the length of time that he wore green (which is around fifty games or so for his other clubs) I'd deadset sign Chrissie sandow before I'd even consider signing norman
I've got legs, and i know how to use them
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

If the youngsters are in the system, then the best teacher/role model is the one to go for - if you're going to have a short term 'bridge'.

I speak with no knowledge here, but Widdop seems the best fit for that. Has more of a conventional game, too - I can't imagine it would be all that easy of Shaun Johnson said "just copy this".
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

We usually ship players off to the Dragons . Now we are looking at a 2nd Dragon (ex) .

I don't think Widdop is a wise recruitment.
LastRaider
John Ferguson

Gareth Widdop attracts interest from Canberra Raiders

Post by LastRaider »

We need an organising half that plays right side! This is not the answer

Sam Williams although a second string has shown last week how important an organiser is
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

I’d take Sam over SJ and Corey Pea Heart at a fraction of the cost too…
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

LastRaider wrote: June 15, 2021, 7:35 am We need an organising half that plays right side! This is not the answer

Sam Williams although a second string has shown last week how important an organiser is
He's a decent organiser, decent short ball and ok kicker (Sam).

His problem has been putting it together for extended runs of games. He seems to get worn down or other teams target him more effectively over a season.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Looks like sentiment has shifted from trying to get the best available half to going with the cheapest option.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2021, 9:27 am Looks like sentiment has shifted from trying to get the best available half to going with the cheapest option.
I think for me it's one or the other
I want to get the best player we can but at some point if the best you can do is a bottom 2-3 option in the league... might as well go cheap at that point and stick with Williams, the difference between Williams, and say Widdop, or Norman or Brooks is basically different skillsets but severely limited players who aren't going to move the needle... if you're not moving the needle then for me, you might as well stay cheap and give yourself the flexibility in the future.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: June 15, 2021, 9:33 am
Northern Raider wrote: June 15, 2021, 9:27 am Looks like sentiment has shifted from trying to get the best available half to going with the cheapest option.
I think for me it's one or the other
I want to get the best player we can but at some point if the best you can do is a bottom 2-3 option in the league... might as well go cheap at that point and stick with Williams, the difference between Williams, and say Widdop, or Norman or Brooks is basically different skillsets but severely limited players who aren't going to move the needle... if you're not moving the needle then for me, you might as well stay cheap and give yourself the flexibility in the future.
I've maintained all along that signing somebody to be our starting no7 we would need to be confident they are better than Sam Williams. No point trying to grab reserve halves from other teams when we already have one of the better reserves going around. That said I do see guys like Widdop and Johnson as genuine upgrades to provide a bridge over the next couple of seasons while we seek a long term solution. Given the lack of quality halves on the market right now it's not like we're going to miss out on somebody else because we invested $500k on one of those guys. There's little benefit in looking for cap savings in the immediate term if you can spend it on the position of most need.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
simo
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Keghead

Post by simo »

Widdop adds goal kicking which we may need going forward.
Dont delete this GE
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

Widdops a far bigger gamble than Johnson but you might well get him for quite a bit less than that 500k he is reported to be after as i dont think he has a whole heap of options, he's been shopping himself for a return for a while now and hasn't had anyone from what i can remember being seriously interested in him.
Widdop at 350-400k would be a low risk punt. its probably only 50-100k more than Sam Williams is on.
Austezer84
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: John Ferguson

Post by Austezer84 »

While it may be a gamble, it's worth looking at.
VictorTheViking
Ricky Stuart

Post by VictorTheViking »

Weve given sam williams a shot already, he wont ever be any more than a solid backup. If he could consistently play like he did last week then it wouldnt really be an issue but he cant, and hes proven that in the past
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

This does have Matt Orford written all over it... And just in case people forgot, here is a "highlights" reel of how great he was (thanks to whomever made this video):

EDIT
Last edited by greeneyed on June 15, 2021, 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Breaches swearing filter
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Ultima wrote: June 15, 2021, 11:46 am This does have Matt Orford written all over it... And just in case people forgot, here is a "highlights" reel of how great he was (thanks to whomever made this video):

EDIT
:roflmao
The pain...it's all coming back!
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

MrPosh wrote: June 14, 2021, 11:48 pm If the youngsters are in the system, then the best teacher/role model is the one to go for - if you're going to have a short term 'bridge'.

I speak with no knowledge here, but Widdop seems the best fit for that. Has more of a conventional game, too - I can't imagine it would be all that easy of Shaun Johnson said "just copy this".
Sam Williams is the answer then and he's probably a lot cheaper than Widdop an we don't have to worry about the possibility of him looking to move even closer to his wife and kids. IIRC, Widdop's family is in Melbourne.

Sam plays a conventional game, knows how to move a team around the ground and the players respect him. If Schneider proves to have the goods, Sammy will take a move back to NSW Cup on the chin because he is a club man through and through. No kicking stones and possibly poisoning the up and comers around him.

If Schneider isn't the future (remember Lachlan Croker and so many others that never quite made it here?) then there is bund to be someone else ready to come off the Raiders assembly line. Sammy turned 30 this year, so he possibly has another two years left in him. That's something that might not apply to Widdop who will be 33 if he joins us..
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Bennyinthewest
Brett Mullins

Post by Bennyinthewest »

I mean if I was Schneider I'd totally want Sam as my mentor over Widdop.......it's not like Widdop was an international, played in any big games or had any success...........

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I believe Schneider got his bench position as a reward for doing lots of extras at weekday training, working his butt off in off season and being a good off field influence around the club.

It wasn’t because he’s killing it in Reserves and looks head and shoulders above the other halves in the comp.

Good luck to Schneider, but he looks more like a good natural and hard working footballer who might be able to become a modern day lock, rather than someone you are expecting to become a top performing half.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah it seems as though Ricky uses the 18th man spot as a recognition reward…

On the matter of SJ and Widdop… it’s about cost.

If they were both seeking $500K , I’m taking SJ only because he’s younger and is currently playing in the NRL…

Anything above $700K mark for SJ, I’m starting to pull back…maybe a 2 year deal with the club having the option for year 2.

I wouldn’t bother going for Widdop for anything above $500k… it’s just loaded with risk..
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think 18th man is not just a reward for the young players... the coach will want to expose them to how an NRL team prepares, right through to kick off. It's good experience to have.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: June 15, 2021, 6:43 pm I think 18th man is not just a reward for the young players... the coach will want to expose them to how an NRL team prepares, right through to kick off. It's good experience to have.
I agree
These kids get to spend a week with the sqauad observe how the week in the top squad goes, go through all the preparation work, and bascially it's a full week of FG grind until kick off. It's a good way to sort of induct them into the FG so they understand what goes into a week and can prepare themselves for that when they make the jump fulltime
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Dragons clear way for Widdop to join Raiders or Warriors

St George Illawarra have advised Gareth Widdop's manager they would not stand in the way of Canberra or the Warriors signing the former Dragons captain if he returns from England before the end of the season.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/06/15/dra ... riors/amp/

Suggests we are still in the hunt for Widdop and dufty. Not likely to be interested in Norman or SJ
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

If he came over right away, maybe, but not if that takes up big cap space next year. I worry management sees George Williams spare cap space as expendable and usable for whatever when we need to be smart with it.

Also for anyone wondering what that video link above was just search for "Matt Orford Raiders" on YouTube, should be the top video result.
EraserOfLove
David Shillington
Favourite Player: Elliot Whitehead

Post by EraserOfLove »

I watch Widdop most weeks in the super league here in Blighty, and he is looking like a baader meinhof generalissimo on the pitch. Directing operations all over the gaff for Warrington with his Vision, Kicking and passing.

Even Better if Sticky had a look at his club mate, Center Toby King.
Changeable. Alterable. Mutable. Variable. Versatile. Moldable. Movable. Fluctuate. Undulate. Flicker. Flutter. Pulsate. Vibrate. Alternate. Plastic. Prog. House. Music.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

I have no idea what you just said, but I'm assuming it's positive

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: June 16, 2021, 9:16 am I have no idea what you just said, but I'm assuming it's positive

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
:lol: I was thinking the same
It's blows my mind that me and eraseroflove technically speak the same language :lol:

I for one welcome our new cockney overlord
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Lol. Widdop is one of the most overrated players I can remember in recent history. Consistently inconsistent as soon as he left the Storm, similar to all our other targets really.