NRL expansion could lead to raid on Canberra

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

T_R
Don Furner

Re: NRL expansion could lead to raid on Canberra

Post by T_R »

Many people in Brisbane refer to area as the 'North Coast'.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

T_R wrote: October 14, 2021, 12:26 pm Many people in Brisbane refer to area as the 'North Coast'.
North Coast Dolphins would be a good idea for marketing. It would bring Hervey Bay and Bundaberg into the geographical area too.
Cranky Old Man
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Sam Backo

Post by Cranky Old Man »

The political shenanigans involved in this decision is very reminiscent of the decision to select Cronulla (and Penrith) into the Sydney RL comp in 1967. Everything except the benefit to the game was considered. The main alternative to Cronulla was Wentworthville who were the dominant second tier club of the time. Any honest and independent decision process would have had Wenty as first choice by some distance followed by Cambelltown. Neither were really in the hunt as Parramatta, to that point without even a GF appearance were adamantly against any nearby opposition. They even spewed bile over Penriths entry.
The central clubs wanted Cronulla in the comp in an attempt to cut St George off from the Illawarra. St G had won about 10 premierships by the time the decision was made and it appeared there was little standing between them and their ambition of 13 consecutive premierships and 2 more for the reserves. The development of the game and catering to emerging players played a negligible part in the decisions. Cronulla in reality became St G third grade for a decade.
The current decision in Brisbane has left a gaping hole in the map of RL demographics in Qld, the western Brisbane corridor. I thought V'Landys would have the guts to sort it out but it appears not and the problem will linger awaiting a suitably competent leader, festering the while.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

dubby wrote: October 14, 2021, 12:15 pm I'm not sure how a team around Coorparoo adds to expansion?

Agree the firehawks had the money. Redcliffe had more 🤷‍♂️
As discussed above, I'm not sure that the financial strength of the Tigers and Dolphins bids have been properly presented in the media.

For a long time, a second Brisbane team has been thought necessary because the population of Brisbane is under served for footy. There are only 12 games of football at Lang Park a year. The original idea was to have at least one game at Lang Park every week. Brisbane has a population base of well over 2 million. The idea that you have to put new teams on the fringes of Brisbane, so as to "attract new supporters" is being driven by the Broncos. The whole of south east Queensland is rugby league heartland. New teams in south east Queensland aren't realistically going to attract new supporters for the game. A new team should be addressing the issue that Brisbane is under served for NRL footy.

As you say, there are probably a lot of people in south east Queensland who don't support the Broncos. But there are probably more of those folks in Brisbane than on the fringes of Brisbane. What the NRL is doing - at the behest of the Broncos - is just going to lead to more "Titans" sized clubs, that are probably going to struggle.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
the bone
John Ferguson

Post by the bone »

greeneyed wrote: October 14, 2021, 12:50 pm
dubby wrote: October 14, 2021, 12:15 pm I'm not sure how a team around Coorparoo adds to expansion?

Agree the firehawks had the money. Redcliffe had more 🤷‍♂️
As discussed above, I'm not sure that the financial strength of the Tigers and Dolphins bids have been properly presented in the media.

For a long time, a second Brisbane team has been thought necessary because the population of Brisbane is under served for footy. There are only 12 games of football at Lang Park a year. The original idea was to have at least one game at Lang Park every week. Brisbane has a population base of well over 2 million. The idea that you have to put new teams on the fringes of Brisbane, so as to "attract new supporters" is being driven by the Broncos. The whole of south east Queensland is rugby league heartland. New teams in south east Queensland aren't realistically going to attract new supporters for the game. A new team should be addressing the issue that Brisbane is under served for NRL footy.

As you say, there are probably a lot of people in south east Queensland who don't support the Broncos. But there are probably more of those folks in Brisbane than on the fringes of Brisbane. What the NRL is doing - at the behest of the Broncos - is just going to lead to more "Titans" sized clubs, that are probably going to struggle.
This is exactly my issue. They should’ve been looking to build a franchise that, while realistically would never be a powerhouse to the extent of the Broncos, would still be in the middle tier of clubs within 5-10 years. Instead, the Dolphins will be competing with the other most recent addition, the Gold Coast, to determine who is bringing up the rear in terms of NRL relevancy.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL expansion in 2023 contrasts to Canberra Raiders' hurdles

John McIntyre could only smile as the NRL talked about refusing to give new-kids-on-the-block Dolphins any concessions when entering the competition. When it came to the Canberra Raiders taking their place in the NSW Rugby League in 1982 it was more about putting in hurdles than lending a hand.

"We had no bloody concessions. It's coming up to Melbourne Cup time, the way they were going it was like putting hurdles up in the straight. We were limited to 13 imports in the first three seasons."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Interesting extra dimension to the wheeling and dealing between News and the NRL:

Last week, the NRL handed Foxtel more exclusive Broncos matches on the condition it pays a further $100m in broadcast rights to fund a 17th team.

The move infuriated Nine. Whether they are winning or losing, the Broncos are the safest ratings bet alongside the powerhouse Sydney clubs.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tv-rea ... 5910p.html
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

im always pro pissing off nine
there is no risk in doing so, what are nine going to do? Not go in on RL rights next time they're avaiable and give up their most valuable commodity? LOL good, then maybe we'll get one of the others involves and every one wins

So good on channel 9, be infuriated. No one **** cares.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think we should care in terms of how much in the way of dollars the game can get for broadcasting rights.

The SMH report needs to be put in the context that it is owned by Nine Media.

But the story says (sorry if this is a bit of a jumble)...

The NRL is annoyed that the stories of a few days ago saying that a deal with Nine was imminent... the NRL reportedly says that Seven and Ten (Paramount Plus) have not finished with negotiations, despite the leaked story.

The NRL is annoyed that Nine isn't a serious partner in promoting the game, and peeved that there is so much criticism of the "game" (translate: NRL administration) on Nine shows, eg. they were peeved about a lot of things Phil Gould says, and the amount of promotion given to union coverage on Stan etc (the coverage they paid for by cutting the amount of their deal with the NRL due to the pandemic). The NRL clubs think the NRL caved too easily to Nine on the renegotiation, which adds to the angst on that. The NRL also is peeved at Fox League for criticism of the game. '

The NRL want an NRL 360 style show on Nine during the week, which is the sort of thing they expect from a FTA "partner" (which it seems Nine is resisting).

The story a few days ago said that Nine was wanting to pay $100-105 million... no one else was in the ball park... but the NRL want $120m. The story suggests there's still a substantial gap there.

All interesting stuff. I'd love to see an alternate FTA broadcaster, but I'm not sure anyone will pay more than Nine.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

No i agree with most of that, particularly the last line, I dont think anyone will pay more than nine either

i also dont think there is a snowballs chance in hell that nine have the stones to walk away from the NRL either. So yeah, i dont give a **** how annoyed nine is. They'll pony up, and on we'll march.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Would they consider a split broadcast partner - there were reports that Seven want all in on the State of Origin but are not as keen on the actual premiership (were only offering 2 games per week)

I think this is where not having a true national competition hurts us
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That's what I don't get about the NRL, you look at the NFL and there's multiple tv deals with fox, CBS, ESPN etc.

Why don't they package the rights so multiple broadcasters can bid for certain games, ie Thursday/Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Origin

So fox buys rights to all games

9 could buy Thursday Friday
10 Saturday
7 Sunday

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

-TW- wrote: October 23, 2021, 8:51 pm That's what I don't get about the NRL, you look at the NFL and there's multiple tv deals with fox, CBS, ESPN etc.

Why don't they package the rights so multiple broadcasters can bid for certain games, ie Thursday/Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Origin

So fox buys rights to all games

9 could buy Thursday Friday
10 Saturday
7 Sunday

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I dont know that the interest is really there to drive it the way the NFL do.
Over there, the NFL is the absolute king... a good mid year thursday night game will rate as well as an NBA finals/MLB world series game. And there is SOOO much competition in terms of cable and FTA television that it really drives a bidding war.

They've toyed with this stuff before, selling off things as bit parts and never done it... makes me think there just isn't a competitive market to get good ROI on spliting the rights up over selling them as a whole package

of course it cant be discounted that the NRL is run by incompetent boobs who just dont know how to figure this **** out too
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Well I know which one I’m betting on.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Colk wrote: October 23, 2021, 7:47 pm Would they consider a split broadcast partner - there were reports that Seven want all in on the State of Origin but are not as keen on the actual premiership (were only offering 2 games per week)

I think this is where not having a true national competition hurts us
I remember when the League went away from the Match of the Round being played on a Saturday afternoon. It was a purely TV ratings decision in that people were either playing sport or doing other things on a Saturday at 3PM. The main match was switched to Sunday afternoon when more people were home to watch. They had Split broadcasting with the ABC in those days and the ABC would broadcast the Saturday match which was when the 'lesser' clubs would get some TV time. ABC did not care about ratings. They had a commitment to broadcasting Australian sport and this was how they did it. Eventually they switched to Sydney Rugby competition broadcasts.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: October 15, 2021, 5:19 pm NRL expansion in 2023 contrasts to Canberra Raiders' hurdles

John McIntyre could only smile as the NRL talked about refusing to give new-kids-on-the-block Dolphins any concessions when entering the competition. When it came to the Canberra Raiders taking their place in the NSW Rugby League in 1982 it was more about putting in hurdles than lending a hand.

"We had no bloody concessions. It's coming up to Melbourne Cup time, the way they were going it was like putting hurdles up in the straight. We were limited to 13 imports in the first three seasons."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
The NSWRL also made a concession to the other Clubs when Canberra entered the Comp, by allowing players who had been with a Sydney Club for 3 years to be considered a local. I think this change came in the year before the Raiders entered the Competition. So most of the Sydney clubs now had players who could be considered as locals and they could scour NSW Country/Qld and overseas for additional players to build up to the 13 import level. It sure made it more difficult for the new Raiders Club to be competitive in the early years.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

The dollar figure is always the the most reported and judged if it was a win or not to the NRL by the media but IMO that is the least important part of a TV rights deal.

What's more important is the coverage and I couldn't give a flying **** if the NRL gets $10 million less if it means they're negoiated better and more coverage for all teams.

Very happy to see the NRL using complaints about Nine's abysmal coverage in it's negoiations.
Last edited by Raider Azz on October 25, 2021, 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

greeneyed wrote: October 23, 2021, 6:56 pm Interesting extra dimension to the wheeling and dealing between News and the NRL:

Last week, the NRL handed Foxtel more exclusive Broncos matches on the condition it pays a further $100m in broadcast rights to fund a 17th team.

The move infuriated Nine. Whether they are winning or losing, the Broncos are the safest ratings bet alongside the powerhouse Sydney clubs.

Read more: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tv-rea ... 5910p.html
OK I just read that article and my god what a cringe fest to read. Andrew Webster is almost as bad a writer as James Hooper.