NRL expansion could lead to raid on Canberra

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Re: NRL expansion could lead to raid on Canberra

Post by Timbo »

I'm convinced that whoever ran the focus group to get the name 'Firehawks' thought they were bidding for a Big Bash side.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Colk
Dean Lance
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Colk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 1:17 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 12:50 pm But there is not really any geographic relationship between Ipswich and Logan or Redlands. Ipswich has a much clearer relationship to Brisbane. There is a road from Ipswich to Logan, but that doesn't make it a region or a "corridor". That one makes the least sense of all for mine.

I do understand there is a Moreton Bay LGA. But is it actually a "region"? I think people would think of themselves as residents of their smaller localities.
I agree that people generally would see themselves as residents of their smaller localities but people will support a team if they are playing games in the area. The Broncos have a huge fan base and I think that's the biggest challenge around bringing one new Brisbane team into the competition - there will be many people who will just stick with the Broncos. But if the NRL declares that the long term plan is to bring in two new teams in Brisbane, roughly outlined these catchment areas for each of the teams and made a solid commitment to follow through with the plan, I think you have a good chance of people within each of those areas to declare their allegiance to their local team.

Considering the fact that there are 9 clubs in Sydney and 10 if you count Newcastle as Sydney and surrounds, 4 for Brisbane and surrounds is reasonable imo, even if you reduce two of the clubs in the Sydney region to 8. 8 clubs for Sydney and surrounds, 4 clubs for Brisbane and surrounds, plus Canberra, Melbourne, North Queensland, New Zealand makes sense as a starting point, then you can choose between Perth, New Zealand and Melbourne as to where you would expand outside of our core rugby league centres
Wouldn’t you rather have two big Brisbane teams than 3-4? There are only so many sides you can realistically put in a competition. You don’t want the same situation as in Sydney where you probably have only half of them who are big or well supported. More teams in Brisbane also means less opportunity for expansion to areas like Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2 (perhaps in the future not now) and NZ 2. We really should also be aiming to have as many local rivalries as possible
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

This tells the story of the Broncos’ admission in summary: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_o ... ne_Broncos

There was a bid from the owners of Jeans West with Senator Ron McAuiliffe as the face of it. That was the other main franchise contender: https://books.google.com.au/books?id=3n ... se&f=false

I remember saying back at the time that a Brisbane team in the NSWRL should get 20,000 every week to Lang Park and people laughed at me up in Brisbane. There was a great attachment to the Brisbane competition and the original Brisbane clubs. It’s why the BRL didn’t choose to enter a team. It would have sidelined the existing teams. Choosing one existing club over another would have created a huge storm. It’s still going to be “unfair” to one club or other this time around.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 1:29 pm
greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 12:50 pm But there is not really any geographic relationship between Ipswich and Logan or Redlands. Ipswich has a much clearer relationship to Brisbane. There is a road from Ipswich to Logan, but that doesn't make it a region or a "corridor". That one makes the least sense of all for mine.

I do understand there is a Moreton Bay LGA. But is it actually a "region"? I think people would think of themselves as residents of their smaller localities.
I agree that people generally would see themselves as residents of their smaller localities but people will support a team if they are playing games in the area. The Broncos have a huge fan base and I think that's the biggest challenge around bringing one new Brisbane team into the competition - there will be many people who will just stick with the Broncos. But if the NRL declares that the long term plan is to bring in two new teams in Brisbane, roughly outlined these catchment areas for each of the teams and made a solid commitment to follow through with the plan, I think you have a good chance of people within each of those areas to declare their allegiance to their local team.

Considering the fact that there are 9 clubs in Sydney and 10 if you count Newcastle as Sydney and surrounds, 4 for Brisbane and surrounds is reasonable imo, even if you reduce two of the clubs in the Sydney region to 8. 8 clubs for Sydney and surrounds, 4 clubs for Brisbane and surrounds, plus Canberra, Melbourne, North Queensland, New Zealand makes sense as a starting point, then you can choose between Perth, New Zealand and Melbourne as to where you would expand outside of our core rugby league centres
Wouldn’t you rather have two big Brisbane teams than 3-4? There are only so many sides you can realistically put in a competition. You don’t want the same situation as in Sydney where you probably have only half of them who are big or well supported. More teams in Brisbane also means less opportunity for expansion to areas like Perth, Adelaide, Melbourne 2 (perhaps in the future not now) and NZ 2. We really should also be aiming to have as many local rivalries as possible
People love rugby league in Queensland and there are a lot of people in south east Queensland. That area can easily support 4 teams without it becoming a Sydney kind of situation imo. The population of Sydney plus Newcastle/Hunter region, Illawarra region and Southern Highlands/Tablelands is probably only about 20% more than south east QLD. Adding two new Brisbane teams would still be less than half the teams in the Sydney area and makes sense strategically... but the problem presumably is that a lot of stakeholders wouldn't like it - old Sydney-centric clubs, Broncos and the QRL teams would all lose out in some way but rugby league as a whole would benefit tremendously.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The population of greater Sydney is currently 5.3 million. Then you add in Newcastle/Hunter (620,000) and Wollongong/Illawarra (310,000) on top of that. That's 6.2 million all up. Greater Brisbane is 2.6 million. The population of the whole of SE Queensland (including the Gold and Sunshine Coasts and Toowoomba) is 3.6 million. Just Sydney is 30 per cent bigger than SE Queensland, while Sydney, plus Hunter and Illawarra is 40 per cent bigger.

https://profile.id.com.au/australia/about?WebID=250

8 Sydney teams share greater Sydney, which averages as 660,000 population base for each team.
10 teams share greater Sydney, Hunter and Illawarra, which averages as 620,000 population base for each team.

So south east Queensland would "merit" five teams, based on the average population base for clubs in Sydney.

But say 660,000 is actually too small for an expansion team. Say it should be 1,000,000. That’d mean at least three teams in SEQ, maybe four in the not too distant future.

Canberra has a population of 460,000. Add in Queanbeyan-Palerang of 62,000, Yass Valley of 17,000, Snowy-Monaro of 20,000 and Goulburn of 32,000. That’s 591,000 odd. But that’s the extent of our rugby league region and it’s probably why we keep being told Canberra is too small. Particularly given the intense competition between codes here.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ok, I was overestimating the population for South East QLD by about a million. I was thinking it was around 5 million. But yes, I think it should be four teams in South East QLD and the Moreton Bay Region/Sunshine Coast areas combined is at least 800,000. Then consider the fact that Redcliffe Dolphins already have over 30,000 members.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Dolphins have 30,000 members? That’s surely members of licensed clubs? And if we’re going on the size of the licensed clubs… the Tigers are bigger still on the metrics I’ve seen.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 2:39 pm The Dolphins have 30,000 members? That’s surely members of licensed clubs? And if we’re going on the size of the licensed clubs… the Tigers are bigger still on the metrics I’ve seen.
You're right, I've checked and that's the leagues club membership number. I would agree with you that Easts is just as financially viable as the Dolphins and ultimately, neither would fail in that sense. But the disadvantage for Easts is that they're right in the middle of Broncos heartland. Also, if you make Firehawks the south of the Brisbane River team with Broncos covering north of the Brisbane River, that would make the possible locations for a second new Brisbane team too narrow. The areas that you would be left with are too small... you would have to have either a Sunny Coast team or an Ipswich team and those areas aren't anywhere near the 1 mil you're estimating.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Timbo wrote: October 8, 2021, 1:21 pm I'm convinced that whoever ran the focus group to get the name 'Firehawks' thought they were bidding for a Big Bash side.
I dunno. I reckon they're pretty cool https://www.australiangeographic.com.au ... bushfires/

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 1:49 pm
Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 1:29 pm

People love rugby league in Queensland and there are a lot of people in south east Queensland. That area can easily support 4 teams without it becoming a Sydney kind of situation imo. The population of Sydney plus Newcastle/Hunter region, Illawarra region and Southern Highlands/Tablelands is probably only about 20% more than south east QLD. Adding two new Brisbane teams would still be less than half the teams in the Sydney area and makes sense strategically... but the problem presumably is that a lot of stakeholders wouldn't like it - old Sydney-centric clubs, Broncos and the QRL teams would all lose out in some way but rugby league as a whole would benefit tremendously.
I get your point but I would rather a competition where every club has a large following and corporate support. To me that is more important than catchments etc.

Whilst I agree that Brisbane could have 4 clubs again is that preferable to having two clubs which are the size and appeal of the Broncos?

That is also with the tacit knowledge that Sydney is going to have 8-9 clubs, then you have Canberra, Melbourne, Newcastle, North Qld and the Warriors. So you have an 18 team without any presence in Perth, Adelaide or any other possible expansion possibility (second NZ or Melbourne, PNG side maybe 20 to 30 years down the track). I don’t really understand as a business why you would limit your growth options?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 2:02 pm The population of greater Sydney is currently 5.3 million. Then you add in Newcastle/Hunter (620,000) and Wollongong/Illawarra (310,000) on top of that. That's 6.2 million all up. Greater Brisbane is 2.6 million. The population of the whole of SE Queensland (including the Gold and Sunshine Coasts and Toowoomba) is 3.6 million. Just Sydney is 30 per cent bigger than SE Queensland, while Sydney, plus Hunter and Illawarra is 40 per cent bigger.

https://profile.id.com.au/australia/about?WebID=250

8 Sydney teams share greater Sydney, which averages as 660,000 population base for each team.
10 teams share greater Sydney, Hunter and Illawarra, which averages as 620,000 population base for each team.

So south east Queensland would "merit" five teams, based on the average population base for clubs in Sydney.

But say 660,000 is actually too small for an expansion team. Say it should be 1,000,000. That’d mean at least three teams in SEQ, maybe four in the not too distant future.

Canberra has a population of 460,000. Add in Queanbeyan-Palerang of 62,000, Yass Valley of 17,000, Snowy-Monaro of 20,000 and Goulburn of 32,000. That’s 591,000 odd. But that’s the extent of our rugby league region and it’s probably why we keep being told Canberra is too small. Particularly given the intense competition between codes here.
There are simply too many clubs in NSW. At least two. Again the only way in which you can somewhat ensure that the competition is not hamstrung by this saturation is not to repeat this mistake (no more than two clubs in another area) and to have a national competition.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Bring back the Bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

There should be no more teams in NSW, as the population data shows… there should really be less.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Dusty wrote: October 8, 2021, 7:29 pm Bring back the Bears

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not unless you are putting them outside of NSW
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 7:52 pm There should be no more teams in NSW, as the population data shows… there should really be less.
Exactly. You would look at relocating two Sydney sides.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 6:48 pm
I get your point but I would rather a competition where every club has a large following and corporate support. To me that is more important than catchments etc.

Whilst I agree that Brisbane could have 4 clubs again is that preferable to having two clubs which are the size and appeal of the Broncos?

That is also with the tacit knowledge that Sydney is going to have 8-9 clubs, then you have Canberra, Melbourne, Newcastle, North Qld and the Warriors. So you have an 18 team without any presence in Perth, Adelaide or any other possible expansion possibility (second NZ or Melbourne, PNG side maybe 20 to 30 years down the track). I don’t really understand as a business why you would limit your growth options?
Broncos are too big though. They might not be miles ahead in club membership numbers but they would have by far the largest fan base due to being the only Brisbane team. I'd like to see 18 teams with the reduction of two Sydney teams over the next decade, so for me that looks like two additional south east QLD teams as well as looking at Perth, Adelaide or a second Melbourne or NZ team. There is also good potential for growth revitalising league in areas where it has always been strong such as in Brisbane, I don't think you would at all be limiting the growth. Expanding to an AFL city like Adelaide or Perth would be tough but you could probably pull it off at least in Perth. There is a lot of money involved in both the promotion of the game and building the "infrastructure" i.e. setting up junior/local clubs etc. You would get better value setting up a competitor in Melbourne for a local derby that could potentially spark more interest in the game down in Vic, or similarly for NZ although I think NZ would be tougher. Melbourne and Perth would probably be my picks, and then you might consider a second NZ team and/or Adelaide way down the track.
Stagtime
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Furner

Post by Stagtime »

I’m from Moreton Bay region, Samford and there’s no way I would think Redcliffe would be representing this part of the world. Being a blood and mud (panthers) i don’t care whether Redcliffe or Easts win the rights, just another team to dislike. As a side issue I thought Easts took over the Broncos Leagues Club, might be a bit of a conflict in there if they are still involved.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 8:23 pm
Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 6:48 pm

Broncos are too big though. They might not be miles ahead in club membership numbers but they would have by far the largest fan base due to being the only Brisbane team. I'd like to see 18 teams with the reduction of two Sydney teams over the next decade, so for me that looks like two additional south east QLD teams as well as looking at Perth, Adelaide or a second Melbourne or NZ team. There is also good potential for growth revitalising league in areas where it has always been strong such as in Brisbane, I don't think you would at all be limiting the growth. Expanding to an AFL city like Adelaide or Perth would be tough but you could probably pull it off at least in Perth. There is a lot of money involved in both the promotion of the game and building the "infrastructure" i.e. setting up junior/local clubs etc. You would get better value setting up a competitor in Melbourne for a local derby that could potentially spark more interest in the game down in Vic, or similarly for NZ although I think NZ would be tougher. Melbourne and Perth would probably be my picks, and then you might consider a second NZ team and/or Adelaide way down the track.
I like your ideas. It’s important for the NRL to try and have a national footprint although V’landys is a News Ltd lackey so I doubt that he has the cojones to do this or think independently.

On the Sydney reduction would you demote then to NSW Cup or relocate them?

A quick look at population growth centres and it is easy to outline where the growth areas in Australia will be - South East Queensland, Western Sydney, mid size areas adjacent to Sydney like Newcastle, Illawarra and Central Coast, Melbourne and Perth. As a result, if you are being strategic, you need to focus on having good representation in these areas.

For example, Sydney and Melbourne are expected to reach around 8 million by mid century whilst Perth and Brisbane are going to be around half that whilst Hunter, Central Coast, Illawarra and Canberra will be near a million.

Btw I think Perth wouldn’t be as difficult as people think. Half of the richest companies in Australia reside in Perth so there is massive financial opportunity and the government from recent actions seem willing to engage the NRL. Think of it this way, WA would get massive tourism boosts from having an NRL side with more opportunities of visits from NSW and QLD. A second Melbourne or NZ side would be more difficult but the potential for either option would be massive
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Stagtime wrote: October 8, 2021, 8:48 pm I’m from Moreton Bay region, Samford and there’s no way I would think Redcliffe would be representing this part of the world. Being a blood and mud (panthers) i don’t care whether Redcliffe or Easts win the rights, just another team to dislike. As a side issue I thought Easts took over the Broncos Leagues Club, might be a bit of a conflict in there if they are still involved.
They took over management on contract basis. As the Broncos proved incapable. Not sure if it is still in place, but it’s an easy conflict to manage.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane second team then Perth. 18 teams. Then new areas if there are relocations, mergers or clubs in NSW that fold. No new teams in NSW. Too many already.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Just in case you don’t know how why Redcliffe was picked

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2021/10/08/ ... liffe-bid/
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 9:32 pm Brisbane second team then Perth. 18 teams. Then new areas if there are relocations, mergers or clubs in NSW that fold. No new teams in NSW. Too many already.
That would be ideal but I don’t think it will happen
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 9:38 pm Just in case you don’t know how why Redcliffe was picked

I must admit I hadn’t really thought that through. FTA clearly not holding the whip hand. And why everything on Fox League and the News Limited about the merits of the bids should be disregarded. It’s why the broadcasters should never be allowed to be owners of clubs. We’ve got the game being dictated to by the (owners of the) Broncos, effectively. It’s not what’s in the interests of the game. Absolutely stinks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 9:38 pm Just in case you don’t know how why Redcliffe was picked

Lol well there you go. If that's the case, I'm probably leaning towards GE's side now :lol:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:08 pm

I must admit I hadn’t really thought that through. FTA clearly not holding the whip hand. And why everything on Fox League and the News Limited about the merits of the bids should be disregarded. It’s why the broadcasters should never be allowed to be owners of clubs. We’ve got the game being dictated to by the (owners of the) Broncos, effectively. It’s not what’s in the interests of the game. Absolutely stinks.
This definitely changes my view :clap:
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:27 pm

It’s the reason why News Limited kept taking up the finances of Redcliffe but not the Firehawks consortium who are not exactly poor. They have been trumpeting Redcliffe as the favourite even before the NRL met with the individual consortiums for their bid presentations. Again as I said earlier I think each of the consortiums has weaknesses but yeah strategically they are the worst of the three bids.

The worst thing about News Limited being so tied up in the game is the game makes decisions not to expand or expand based on the least commercial sense. It is not as bad as post Super League but it is getting closer
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Also consider why Fox Sports and News Limited were so pro V’landys during the player discontent or defended him when there were blowouts. They continually praise him also for starting the game last year (whilst that is a positive, no game has been killed because of COVID and he shouldn’t be immune to criticism due to that achievement also)

They have a man that will do their bidding
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Colk wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:42 pm

It’s the reason why News Limited kept taking up the finances of Redcliffe but not the Firehawks consortium who are not exactly poor. They have been trumpeting Redcliffe as the favourite even before the NRL met with the individual consortiums for their bid presentations. Again as I said earlier I think each of the consortiums has weaknesses but yeah strategically they are the worst of the three bids.

The worst thing about News Limited being so tied up in the game is the game makes decisions not to expand or expand based on the least commercial sense. It is not as bad as post Super League but it is getting closer
I guess you could have Easts as the inner Brisbane team and Broncos would become the team for the south and west. It would cannibalise the Broncos in a sense but their support would still be strong considering the fact that they were the original QLD team, have won premierships and have had some of the game's greats play for them. It's also a chance for them to strengthen ties with Ipswich and they can focus on developing there plus Souths Logan.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Who makes the final call? Is it V'landys or does the board get a say?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:54 pm

I guess you could have Easts as the inner Brisbane team and Broncos would become the team for the south and west. It would cannibalise the Broncos in a sense but their support would still be strong considering the fact that they were the original QLD team, have won premierships and have had some of the game's greats play for them. It's also a chance for them to strengthen ties with Ipswich and they can focus on developing there plus Souths Logan.
People don’t seem to understand that the mentality of Brisbane people is north or south of the river. The Broncos are north and west. Red Hill is inner north west. The Tigers (Magpies and Seagulls) are south and east. The river defines the region. The Broncos are not “south”.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:54 pm

Ideally so. You should be looking at basing any club where the corporates are the greatest. Who knows maybe Redcliffe could work but the fact that there is seemingly no push back doesn’t bode well for the independence of the NRL. What if the News Limited say we want the Central Coast Bears as the next team because it means that we don’t have to pay so much for the TV rights? What do they do in that instance?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:57 pm Who makes the final call? Is it V'landys or does the board get a say?
The ARLC decides. Guess who controls the ARLC these days?
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

greeneyed wrote: October 8, 2021, 11:02 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 8, 2021, 10:57 pm Who makes the final call? Is it V'landys or does the board get a say?
The ARLC decides. Guess who controls the ARLC these days?
He is the biggest puppet they have ever had. The funny thing is that when an ARLC chairman is disposed it is usually on the heads of the clubs wherein most if not all of the time it has been because they have annoyed the broadcasters.
Colk
Dean Lance

Post by Colk »

It has seemed that the News Limited has won this battle (not surprisingly). I’m hoping the NRL make a more courageous decision for the 18th team
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

This new team could provide an opportunity for us to cut our losses on some of the silly long term contracts were entered into that aren’t destined to work out for us.