Post by The Greenhouse »

2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Saturday 17 July, 5:30pm
Robina Stadium
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC

The Canberra Raiders will back back at home in Round 18 and will host the Cronulla Sharks. Who would you like to see line up in green in the match? Name your own team, and then see how close you were when the official teams are named on the Tuesday before the match. We will have the official squads in the first post of this thread, once they are announced.

OFFICIAL SQUADS

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Matthew Timoko
19. Trey Mooney
20. Matt Frawley
21. Harley Smith-Shields

Injury/Suspension

Elliott Whitehead, Shoulder (Rd 19)
Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 19-20)
Dunamis Lui, Calf (Rd 20-21)
Bailey Simonson, Toe (Rd 21-23)
Curtis Scott, Stood down (Indefinite)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Connor Tracey
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Braydon Trindall
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
11. Briton Nikora
12. Teig Wilton
13. Toby Rudolf

14. Marwene Hiroti
15.Siosfa Talakai
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

18. Billy Magoulias
19. Royce Hunt
20. Andrew Fifita
21. Luke Metcalf

Injury/Suspension

Josh Dugan, Isolation (Rd 18)
Matt Moylan, Calf (Rd 18)
Jackson Ferris, Foot (Rd 18)
Royce Hunt, Knee (Rd 18)
Franklin Pele, Foot (Rd 25)
Wade Graham, Knee (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Kasey Badger, Drew Oultram
Video referee: Henry Perenara

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
The Greenhouse score update service
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by -PJ- »

Same team that beat the Tigers..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

In '89?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
Ultima
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Croker

Post by Ultima »

Papa and Wighton back in for Williams and James. Timoko still deserves a spot too.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Raiders now have a long break until Saturday week for the Sharks game. Good opportunity for rehab. Dunamis Lui came off tonight with a leg injury. If he does not recover then Papa to take his place returning from Origin. Jack to come in for Frawley. I think Timoko will have to wait a bit longer given the form of Seb Kris tonight.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:41 pm Raiders now have a long break until Saturday week for the Sharks game. Good opportunity for rehab. Dunamis Lui came off tonight with a leg injury. If he does not recover then Papa to take his place returning from Origin. Jack to come in for Frawley. I think Timoko will have to wait a bit longer given the form of Seb Kris tonight.
You wouldn’t keep Frawley over Williams? I’d be bringing Timoko in for JC rather than Kris
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Timoko for toots paps for Sia wighton nsw cup
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:45 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:41 pm Raiders now have a long break until Saturday week for the Sharks game. Good opportunity for rehab. Dunamis Lui came off tonight with a leg injury. If he does not recover then Papa to take his place returning from Origin. Jack to come in for Frawley. I think Timoko will have to wait a bit longer given the form of Seb Kris tonight.
You wouldn’t keep Frawley over Williams? I’d be bringing Timoko in for JC rather than Kris
You'd be mad not to keep Frawley over Williams or bring in Timoko for Croker. But I doubt we see either.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 8, 2021, 11:05 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:45 pm
You'd be mad not to keep Frawley over Williams or bring in Timoko for Croker. But I doubt we see either.
Sadly I agree.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Young
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. James
17. Mooney

Tapine to start. He was expected to step up this week, had to play a bigger role once Lui went down as well, and absolutely nailed the assignment. He's been asking for his respect and he earnt it this week. You could make a case for Papalii off the bench following Origin but I'm an advocate for starting your two best props. Play the same hooker rotation plan again this week with Hodgo to take on the first 20-30 mins and moving to lock once Starling comes on. Limit Hodgo to 50-60 mins total game time. I don't like playing a third prop at lock but Sutton for the opening 25 min or so, then give him a break before a second stint at prop. Mooney to debut and find some time at lock. I don't like Young at second row but his contribution was enough to keep his spot. We need to sort this issue out longer term because the longer Whitehead stays out there, the more his age will show, I'm afraid.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 8, 2021, 11:16 pm 1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Young
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. James
17. Mooney

Tapine to start. He was expected to step up this week, had to play a bigger role once Lui went down as well, and absolutely nailed the assignment. He's been asking for his respect and he earnt it this week. You could make a case for Papalii off the bench following Origin but I'm an advocate for starting your two best props. Play the same hooker rotation plan again this week with Hodgo to take on the first 20-30 mins and moving to lock once Starling comes on. Limit Hodgo to 50-60 mins total game time. I don't like playing a third prop at lock but Sutton for the opening 25 min or so, then give him a break before a second stint at prop. Mooney to debut and find some time at lock. I don't like Young at second row but his contribution was enough to keep his spot. We need to sort this issue out longer term because the longer Whitehead stays out there, the more his age will show, I'm afraid.
:thumbsup That works for me
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 8, 2021, 11:16 pm 1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Kris
4. Timoko
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Tapine
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Young
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Guler
16. James
17. Mooney

1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Tapine
16. James
17. Young

18. Timoko

100% I would swap Croker and Timoko but Ricky ain't.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Frawley didn't do anything of note outside of those three repeat sets - plus he put two long for seven tackle sets, so his kicking wasn't exactly faultless.

That said, those three repeat sets are probably more than what Jack has contributed in any single game this season.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

1. Xavier Savage
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker (c)
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Emre Guler
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Joseph Tapine
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Elliot Whitehead (c)
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Trey Mooney
16. Hudson Young
17. Josh Papalii (post origin)

18. Matthew Timoko
19. Matt Frawley
20. Siliva Havili
21. Ryan James

I like a Mooney debut as well. Taps needs to start after that performance. We've been looking for that all year and he stood up so keep the roll on.
Same with Xavier. He's got a long way to go but we did well hiding him when we needed to and that enthusiasm is fantastic.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

afgtnk wrote: July 8, 2021, 11:50 pm Frawley didn't do anything of note outside of those three repeat sets - plus he put two long for seven tackle sets, so his kicking wasn't exactly faultless.

That said, those three repeat sets are probably more than what Jack has contributed in any single game this season.
He put up a couple of good bombs, too. He also didn’t let in one of the softest tries I have seen at NRL level.

Frawley is no saviour, but he has to start ahead of Williams next week, despite the fact he is a left sided player. Williams’ defence is deplorable, and it is also making the players around him over compensate and miss their assignment (Kris, CHN).
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Can't recall much coming of those bombs. Sure they look great, but it has to be judged on the outcome.

Regardless, Frawley ahead of Williams won't happen as. Williams is the superior player. Whether people like it or not, as **** as we are, Williams played the far bigger role in that win. Pity people let their biases get in the way of something that clear and simple.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

afgtnk wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:11 am Can't recall much coming of those bombs. Sure they look great, but it has to be judged on the outcome.

Regardless, Frawley ahead of Williams won't happen as. Williams is the superior player. Whether people like it or not, as **** as we are, Williams played the far bigger role in that win. Pity people let their biases get in the way of something that clear and simple.
Biases? That’s rich coming from you with your history on Sezer. Williams’ defence is the worst I have seen from a first grade player, bar none. Not only the misses that lead directly to tries, but also the amount of metres we concede when they go down his side. Frawley is a better player for the mere fact he wouldn’t be beaten by Jamal Fogarty off a scrum.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

Yeah, Frawley ain't the better player son.

The game is won on points. If we judged the game on defence alone, guys like Jarrod Croker would've had their career over before it started.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

afgtnk wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:22 am Yeah, Frawley ain't the better player son.

The game is won on points. If we judged the game on defence alone, guys like Jarrod Croker would've had their career over before it started.
Blake Austin would be Dally M by your logic, “son”. And Williams is hardly a dynamic attacking player - no where near enough to make up for his under 12s level defence.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

afgtnk wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:11 am Can't recall much coming of those bombs. Sure they look great, but it has to be judged on the outcome.

No biases, the fact is Sam Williams is rubbish.....his service to his outside backs was non existent, defensively is a speed bump, has no vision and is slow...so very slow. Yes he scored a couple of tries (almost butchered the second one), but does not hide the fact he would be lucky to get a start in the George Tooke Shield.....
Too many on here are for the Sam Williams for life club, however the longer he is playing in this team, we will not be playing finals any time soon.......
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I reckon that Frawleys short kicking game could complement Wighton nicely.

Wighton > Williams
Papa > James or Lui if injured
Croker > Timoko

The last one is admittedly unrealistic because we got the win but should happen as Crokers best games now are probably ones where he is anonymous.
Up The Milk
afgtnk
Laurie Daley

Post by afgtnk »

TongueFTW wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:26 am
afgtnk wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:22 am Yeah, Frawley ain't the better player son.

Blake Austin would be Dally M by your logic, “son”. And Williams is hardly a dynamic attacking player - no where near enough to make up for his under 12s level defence.
.... And yet he still contributed more to us winning that game than Frawley did. Go figure.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

He put up a towering Spiral bomb that Garrick had no idea about, didn't get near it in the end, ball bounced back to Hodgson who passed to Rapana who kicked again and we got another repeat set out of.
It was the best high kick i can remember from a raider in probably two years.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

kiwi raider wrote: July 9, 2021, 8:54 am

He put up a towering Spiral bomb that Garrick had no idea about, didn't get near it in the end, ball bounced back to Hodgson who passed to Rapana who kicked again and we got another repeat set out of.
Yeah but aside from that and the 23 forced restarts, was his kicking game really that good :roflmao
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

That bomb was a cracker. Garrick had no idea where it went. Both him and Frawley did a great job on getting repeat sets. My biggest problem though is us not taking full advantage. All we could manage from such heavy possession dominance was tries from one out runs taking advantage of a fatiguing defense. For the entire game we struggled to create any space. Whenever we it was wasted by turning the ball back to a forward for a hit up.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Sammy Williams shouldn't start in first grade again. Croker needs to be replaced by Matt Timoko. Croker offered nothing in attack and defence. He looked even slower than usual.

Ryan James is a waste of money at $400,000 per year.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Northern Raider wrote: July 9, 2021, 9:17 am

That bomb was a cracker. Garrick had no idea where it went. Both him and Frawley did a great job on getting repeat sets. My biggest problem though is us not taking full advantage. All we could manage from such heavy possession dominance was tries from one out runs taking advantage of a fatiguing defense. For the entire game we struggled to create any space. Whenever we it was wasted by turning the ball back to a forward for a hit up.
That is Rickyball. Play it perfect or at a high level and you’re a chance.

Play it suboptimally and/or your individual players are having an off night and it can be disastrous.

For 2019 and 2020 we were doing the former 70% of the time.

This year more like 25%.
Up The Milk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Imagine if we have 3 more years of Croker like this, just because some **** decided to pay $600,000 per year for him
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 9, 2021, 9:55 am Sammy Williams shouldn't start in first grade again. Croker needs to be replaced by Matt Timoko. Croker offered nothing in attack and defence. He looked even slower than usual.

Ryan James is a waste of money at $400,000 per year.
If I’m the Raiders CEO looking for a new coach you and I would be down to talking pay and conditions at this point
Turbo_Raider
Glenn Lazarus

Post by Turbo_Raider »

Anyone who truly believes that Sam Williams is a first grade standard halfback in 2021 is smoking some damn good ****. Unfortunately for us our coach is one of them...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I'd make the following changes:

- Papalii in for Sia and starting, Lui back to the bench (Sia stays in the team if Lui is not right to go)
- Wighton in for Williams, Frawley to halfback
- Timoko in for Croker
- Whitehead in for Young, Young back to the bench for James

I dont expect Croker or Williams to be dropped because both are very much club and coach favourites, but on performances, they shouldn't be in FG
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: July 9, 2021, 11:06 am I'd make the following changes:

- Papalii in for Sia and starting, Lui back to the bench (Sia stays in the team if Lui is not right to go)
- Wighton in for Williams, Frawley to halfback
- Timoko in for Croker
- Whitehead in for Young, Young back to the bench for James

I dont expect Croker or Williams to be dropped because both are very much club and coach favourites, but on performances, they shouldn't be in FG
Agree with those changes. Also agree that it won't happen like that.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

x3

Williams is just about blacklisted for me after that performance. Scoring two tries is no excuse for absolutely butchering our attack the remainder of the time. I concede that some or most of it may have been coach driven, but that lack of vision towards the end is just inexcusable for a halfback

He will get picked though and in the post match interview he's an intelligent guy who cares a lot, so I'll hang my hat on that

Edit sorry not quite x3, because I would be punting Sutton from lock and playing Tapine or Whitehead there, with Hodgson to sub in after 20 or so
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

BadnMean wrote: July 8, 2021, 11:30 pm 1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Tapine
16. James
17. Young

18. Timoko

100% I would swap Croker and Timoko but Ricky ain't.
I left Whitehead out because I wasn't aware of how long his injury ruled him out for. But if we're going by what we think Ricky would pick, for me it would look something like:

1. Savage
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Sutton/Guler
9. Hodgson
10. Lui (if fit)
11. Harawira-Naera
12. Whitehead
13. Tapine

14. Starling
15. Guler/Sutton
16. Papalii
17. Young

My bet is that it will be pretty close to this with a possibility of James or Soliola in for Young or Lui.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Even Ricky acknowledged last night that Sam's defense is rubbish.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.