Re: 2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Teams and Previews

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Sam's attack and defence are rubbish. Scoring two tries doesn't change that
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Billy Walker wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:45 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:41 pm Raiders now have a long break until Saturday week for the Sharks game. Good opportunity for rehab. Dunamis Lui came off tonight with a leg injury. If he does not recover then Papa to take his place returning from Origin. Jack to come in for Frawley. I think Timoko will have to wait a bit longer given the form of Seb Kris tonight.
You wouldn’t keep Frawley over Williams? I’d be bringing Timoko in for JC rather than Kris
Both Frawley and Jack play on the same side of the park (left). I think we will see Sam and Jack as the halves against the Sharks. One thing in last nights game which I didn't mention, there was a scrum and Sam Williams packed down into it. I reckon this was to keep him away from a one on one foot race where he can be burned on the outside. Hopefully Jack was watching Frawley with his tactical kicking. He only had to the dribble the ball through the line with enough pace to not also put it dead. Like I say, the chase makes the kick. The Raiders got confidence from continually getting the ball back.
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 9, 2021, 12:52 pm Sam's attack and defence are rubbish. Scoring two tries doesn't change that
So I take it you are a massive Sam Williams fan?
yurithe1
David Furner
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by yurithe1 »

Okay, the years of playing together showed with Williams and Frawley combining to deprive Manly of possession. You're not going to get that by replacing Williams with Wighton.

One of our issues is the fullback spot. Savage had a good debut, but finished on the wing.

Williams' defence has been put under the microscope, but no one seems to say anything about the second rower who should be assisting him. CHN at one point was literally a turnstile with an outstretched arm that failed to stop a try. It's an on-going issue. Going back a few years, Dave Taylor playing for Souths monstered Williams because Bronson Harrison was doing SFA to help him out.

So...

1. Wighton who has played there before and is defensively sound. His kicking game is nothing to write home about and he is almost guaranteed to send one kick out on the full.
2. Valemei
3. Croker, because Ricky isn't going to sack him now that he's fit. He's still a damn good goal kicker.
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Frawley
7. Williams who needs a second-rower who will show enthusiasm and add some muscle.
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
11. Tapine showed he deserves to be in the starting side.
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Harawira-Naera is more of an impact player, not that he makes much impact in defence. He has to be on notice to perform in that respect.
16. James, though if we're blooding new players this season, I could be convinced to play Rushton instead.
17. Young

18. Savage. Sorry, kid, but Wighton's back and there has to be a spot for him somewhere with Ricky coaching the son he wishes he'd had.
Some people talk about the weather. Others do something about it.

MEMBER NO.: 4500 (before they changed the numbering system).
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Wighton will not be playing fullback.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

Azza wrote: July 9, 2021, 1:21 pm Wighton will not be playing fullback.
Dare to dream.

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Northern Raider wrote:
Botman wrote: July 9, 2021, 11:06 am I'd make the following changes:

- Papalii in for Sia and starting, Lui back to the bench (Sia stays in the team if Lui is not right to go)
- Wighton in for Williams, Frawley to halfback
- Timoko in for Croker
- Whitehead in for Young, Young back to the bench for James

I dont expect Croker or Williams to be dropped because both are very much club and coach favourites, but on performances, they shouldn't be in FG
Agree with those changes. Also agree that it won't happen like that.
Yep, I'd totally be on board with those changes.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

yurithe1 wrote:Okay, the years of playing together showed with Williams and Frawley combining to deprive Manly of possession. You're not going to get that by replacing Williams with Wighton.

One of our issues is the fullback spot. Savage had a good debut, but finished on the wing.

Williams' defence has been put under the microscope, but no one seems to say anything about the second rower who should be assisting him. CHN at one point was literally a turnstile with an outstretched arm that failed to stop a try. It's an on-going issue. Going back a few years, Dave Taylor playing for Souths monstered Williams because Bronson Harrison was doing SFA to help him out.

So...

1. Wighton who has played there before and is defensively sound. His kicking game is nothing to write home about and he is almost guaranteed to send one kick out on the full.
2. Valemei
3. Croker, because Ricky isn't going to sack him now that he's fit. He's still a damn good goal kicker.
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Frawley
7. Williams who needs a second-rower who will show enthusiasm and add some muscle.
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Starling
15. Harawira-Naera is more of an impact player, not that he makes much impact in defence. He has to be on notice to perform in that respect.
16. James, though if we're blooding new players this season, I could be convinced to play Rushton instead.
17. Young

18. Savage. Sorry, kid, but Wighton's back and there has to be a spot for him somewhere with Ricky coaching the son he wishes he'd had.
CHN has had to temper his aggression in defence, thought he put on some decent hits last night. All in all now he's strung some games together his form is improving

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Wighton isn't as skillful as frawley. Thats the hard truth whether you like it or not.
Funny how some of you are now realising he's not a 6 but you tried to mock me when I said he wasn't 2 yrs ago.
Wighton needs to go to the backrow or centres, where he just runs hard.. thats all he's good for.
yurithe1
David Furner

Post by yurithe1 »

radicalraider wrote: July 9, 2021, 2:43 pm Wighton isn't as skillful as frawley. Thats the hard truth whether you like it or not.
Funny how some of you are now realising he's not a 6 but you tried to mock me when I said he wasn't 2 yrs ago.
Wighton needs to go to the backrow or centres, where he just runs hard.. thats all he's good for.
That's part of the reason why I think he should be at fullback. He'll notch a lot of metres on kick returns. Don't forget that when he was playing there, he knew how to time his insertion into the backline. My issue with him though was that he always did it on the left side, never the right. i don't know whether that's because he's not as comfortable receiving a pass from his left as he is from his right or something else. Maybe it was Croker giving him a heads up on timing his run back then or something.

Another positive reason is that he's been playing 5/8th for long enough that he should know how to identify a defensive problem on the run and organise players to cover it.

radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

yurithe1 wrote: July 9, 2021, 2:51 pm
radicalraider wrote: July 9, 2021, 2:43 pm Wighton isn't as skillful as frawley. Thats the hard truth whether you like it or not.
That's part of the reason why I think he should be at fullback. He'll notch a lot of metres on kick returns. Don't forget that when he was playing there, he knew how to time his insertion into the backline. My issue with him though was that he always did it on the left side, never the right. i don't know whether that's because he's not as comfortable receiving a pass from his left as he is from his right or something else. Maybe it was Croker giving him a heads up on timing his run back then or something.

Another positive reason is that he's been playing 5/8th for long enough that he should know how to identify a defensive problem on the run and organise players to cover it.
I think he can only pass right to left.. but even thats limited. Both CNK and wighton arent great ball players by any stretch.. not sure if we'd be as competitive with a FB who can't pass properly let alone both ways.. I'm even thinking chuck him in at lock as a link passer since he's not skillful enough to perfect that last pass consistently.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 9, 2021, 9:55 am
Ryan James is a waste of money at $400,000 per year.
He did ok, not his fault he only got 15 mins. That's Ricky style.

8 runs, 71 metres and 6 tackles, no misses or innefective is a solid stint. First time our forward pack didn't get towelled up in a long time. I like having him here as it means the club can move on guys like Hors, Sia and Liu if they choose to and still have a quality middle for a year while Medlyn and Rushton and Mooney come along.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: July 9, 2021, 3:19 pm

8 runs, 71 metres and 6 tackles, no misses or innefective is a solid stint. First time our forward pack didn't get towelled up in a long time. I like having him here as it means the club can move on guys like Hors, Sia and Liu if they choose to and still have a quality middle for a year while Medlyn and Rushton and Mooney come along.
Extrapolate that to a 40 min stint and it's excellent numbers. When somebody only has a 15 min stint you want to see that kind of involvement. Fairly sure both him and Sia knew they were in for a quick smash and grab. They were each taking multiple hit ups a set.

Waste of $400k? Yes, if you're not going to use him much.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Terrible signing.
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

yurithe1 wrote: July 9, 2021, 1:07 pm Okay, the years of playing together showed with Williams and Frawley combining to deprive Manly of possession. You're not going to get that by replacing Williams with Wighton.

So...

2. Valemei
4. Kris
5. Rapana
6. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Guler
12. Whitehead
13. Sutton

14. Starling
17. Young

This team could get us to the finals.. But ricky is stubborn and thinks Jack is a 6 and Croker is a fg player.. CHN better from bench
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Let's hope sharks lose this week and hopefully the next.. they have the softest draw going in.. and lets also hope dragons don't win for a while.. Knights looking most likely to get a spot in 8
Begbie
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Smash Williams

Post by Begbie »

radicalraider wrote: July 9, 2021, 3:28 pm

Terrible signing.
71 metres in 15 minutes is actually a great output- not much more he could have done really.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Begbie wrote: July 9, 2021, 3:34 pm

Terrible signing.
71 metres in 15 minutes is actually a great output- not much more he could have done really.
Agreed. I don't understand the James hate for last night, I thought he played well for very limited minutes.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

If we could find a good half and 5/8 combo. I really would love to see Jack play as a ball playing lock similar to Radley. I just think under the new rules you just need that extra link man to move the ball to the backs with space. Jack would never go for it (reduce his value) and finding 1 half is hard enough never mind finding 2.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Begbie wrote: July 9, 2021, 3:34 pm

Terrible signing.
I was referring to the fact that (i) we are paying someone $400,000 and he is not in our best / top 17; and (ii) in previous weeks his output has been minimal which led to Ricky dropping him out of the 17.

A few knee injuries and a faster game have diminished his effectiveness.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

RedRaider wrote: July 9, 2021, 12:55 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:45 pm
RedRaider wrote: July 8, 2021, 10:41 pm Raiders now have a long break until Saturday week for the Sharks game. Good opportunity for rehab. Dunamis Lui came off tonight with a leg injury. If he does not recover then Papa to take his place returning from Origin. Jack to come in for Frawley. I think Timoko will have to wait a bit longer given the form of Seb Kris tonight.
You wouldn’t keep Frawley over Williams? I’d be bringing Timoko in for JC rather than Kris
Both Frawley and Jack play on the same side of the park (left). I think we will see Sam and Jack as the halves against the Sharks. One thing in last nights game which I didn't mention, there was a scrum and Sam Williams packed down into it. I reckon this was to keep him away from a one on one foot race where he can be burned on the outside. Hopefully Jack was watching Frawley with his tactical kicking. He only had to the dribble the ball through the line with enough pace to not also put it dead. Like I say, the chase makes the kick. The Raiders got confidence from continually getting the ball back.
The chase does make the kick, but every now and then Jack weights one in a way that even Usain Bolt wouldn’t get near it. A few balls he has tried to dribble to the in goal have had to complete 14 days of quarantine once they found them!
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Wighton winning the Dally M was the worst thing for him.
He will never be moved from 6, sadly.

Would not having him at 5/8 if he ran good lines in the opposition twenty.
I think he has fallen for the "improve my game" mantra.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

kona_dream wrote:If we could find a good half and 5/8 combo. I really would love to see Jack play as a ball playing lock similar to Radley. I just think under the new rules you just need that extra link man to move the ball to the backs with space. Jack would never go for it (reduce his value) and finding 1 half is hard enough never mind finding 2.
When does his contract run until again? Planning out the rebuild I’d definitely be thinking like this.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Plenty of X factor in latest Canberra Raiders young gun Xavier Savage

At 90kg dripping wet, Xavier Savage was constantly targeted by the opportunistic Manly defence on Thursday night, but the 19-year-old handled the challenge with aplomb.

"Far out, I knew it was going to be fast but I didn't think it was going to be that fast. I was cramping up at the end there. I've got to get used to it now, it's the start of something big. Definitely I'm happy to get bashed around every week as long as I'm playing footy, the game I love."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

I would not be surprised if the game is postponed and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if it was. Sydney folk need to understand they are in the middle of a very serious situation and it’s not life as usual.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:03 pm I would not be surprised if the game is postponed and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if it was. Sydney folk need to understand they are in the middle of a very serious situation and it’s not life as usual.
The game won't be postponed lol :roflmao
Vaccinated
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

watching intently, I'm intending coming down from Newcastle for this match

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:04 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:03 pm I would not be surprised if the game is postponed and it wouldn’t be the worst thing if it was. Sydney folk need to understand they are in the middle of a very serious situation and it’s not life as usual.
You sure about that Cat? A lot of daily numbers to be announced between now and then….
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:10 pm
You sure about that Cat? A lot of daily numbers to be announced between now and then….
Yep I'm sure.
The numbers wont stop the game, the only thing that will stop the game is if a player from either team tests positive
Vaccinated
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

cat wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:10 pm
Yep I'm sure.
The numbers wont stop the game, the only thing that will stop the game is if a player from either team tests positive
They’ll just move the game, if they can move origin they can move any game.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: July 10, 2021, 6:48 pm Plenty of X factor in latest Canberra Raiders young gun Xavier Savage

At 90kg dripping wet, Xavier Savage was constantly targeted by the opportunistic Manly defence on Thursday night, but the 19-year-old handled the challenge with aplomb.

"Far out, I knew it was going to be fast but I didn't think it was going to be that fast. I was cramping up at the end there. I've got to get used to it now, it's the start of something big. Definitely I'm happy to get bashed around every week as long as I'm playing footy, the game I love."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
What a lovely kid he is. Don't **** this up please Raiders
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I am from the government and I am here to help.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

I’d like to see the following vs Cronulla-Sutherland:

1. Savage (rotate with Rapana)
2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
5. Rapana (rotate with Savage)
6. Wighton
7. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

14. Starling
15. Tapine
16. James
17. Guler

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Dusty wrote:I’d like to see the following vs Cronulla-Sutherland:

2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
6. Wighton
7. Williams
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Whitehead
13. Young

14. Starling
15. Tapine
16. James
17. Guler

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Dusty wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:03 pm I’d like to see the following vs Cronulla-Sutherland:

2. Valemei
3. Croker
4. Kris
6. Wighton
7. Frawley
8. Papalii
9. Hodgson
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young