Canberra Raiders relocated to Gold Coast due to COVID

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders relocated to Gold Coast due to COVID

Post by greeneyed »

By definition you’d have to uproot all of the other 15 NRL clubs. And by definition that’s the most expensive option. And as pointed out, the most inconvenient for broadcasters. It’d probably be more sensible from a broadcast perspective to send them all to WA.
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Fortunate, considering the incompetence and hubris of the NSW Premier and Government.
Or good contact tracing. Got to them fairly soon after the exposure, and may yet to return a positive result.
Being a bit of a jerk about this here Zaius. You’re correctly arguing in the other thread that not all people are going to be contagious. Because the ACT rolled safely this time doesn’t mean there was no risk, just lucky they didn’t roll snake eyes.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:27 pm If they're going to hub in Queensland I wonder if they have considered a NZ hub?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk
Time zone difference would be problematic. It's about keeping the games on TV for revenue. Having games in their usual prime time slots in Australia would be starting nearly 10pm over there.
Yeah I know all this, just being a bitter old merkin. Hate to see the **** Broncos getting any advantage.

Shoving it in your face since 2017
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Why even the Raiders' van has to quarantine in Queensland

Raiders welfare manager David Thom drove the Raiders van 12 hours to ensure all of the NRL club's training gear made it to the Gold Coast. The chartered flight the Raiders took didn't have enough storage for all of their gear, while all of the Raiders staff that were in the Queensland bubble had to fly.

"We had to empty the van onto a common space I suppose you'd call it and they'd come from their side and pick it up and put it on their trolleys.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

gergreg wrote: July 16, 2021, 7:59 am
Northern Raider wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 15, 2021, 6:27 pm If they're going to hub in Queensland I wonder if they have considered a NZ hub?

Time zone difference would be problematic. It's about keeping the games on TV for revenue. Having games in their usual prime time slots in Australia would be starting nearly 10pm over there.
Yeah I know all this, just being a bitter old merkin. Hate to see the **** Broncos getting any advantage.

Not even having all games in QLD will help the Broncos :lol:
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Raiders game next Thursday against the Eels confirmed to be at Gold Coast.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

Bay53 wrote: July 16, 2021, 8:14 pm Raiders game next Thursday against the Eels confirmed to be at Gold Coast.
Next weeks schedule - for what is it worth - who knows what will be what in a week.

Thursday, 22 July
7.50pm: Eels v Raiders, Cbus Super Stadium (Nine / Fox)

Friday, 23 July
6pm: Roosters v Knights, Sunshine Coast Stadium (Fox)
7.55pm: Cowboys v Storm, Qld Country Bank Stadium (Nine / Fox)

Saturday, 24 July
3pm: Rabbitohs v Warriors, Sunshine Coast Stadium (Fox)
5.30pm: Sea Eagles v Wests Tigers, Suncorp Stadium (Fox)
7.35pm: Panthers v Broncos, Suncorp Stadium (Fox)

Sunday, 25 July
1.50pm: Dragons v Titans, Cbus Super Stadium (Fox)
4.05pm: Bulldogs v Sharks, Cbus Super Stadium (Nine / Fox)
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gangrenous wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote:
greeneyed wrote:Fortunate, considering the incompetence and hubris of the NSW Premier and Government.
Or good contact tracing. Got to them fairly soon after the exposure, and may yet to return a positive result.
Being a bit of a jerk about this here Zaius. You’re correctly arguing in the other thread that not all people are going to be contagious. Because the ACT rolled safely this time doesn’t mean there was no risk, just lucky they didn’t roll snake eyes.
Getting to them within three days of exposure, which would be the absolute quickest incubation time. So not zero risk to the ACT, maybe more like 0.0001% risk of causing a community transmission
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Isn’t the quickest incubation time one day? Doesn’t delta incubate faster (an average of four days)? Wasn’t it four days until they got to the contacts and had testing done? Regardless, it is a major failing of the NSW Premier and Government, that a painter from Fairfield with the most contagious strain of COVID yet was allowed to travel at least two hours outside greater Sydney… when Sydney is supposed to be in lock down. It is serious incompetence that they exposed a significant regional town in NSW in this way… and risked another major population centre in the ACT. All because of hubris.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Philosophical, political or raiders related debates are rarely black and white and often end with both sides of the argument claiming validity for their positions.

Debating Covid health policy is a different story as Covid has a hell of way of settling an argument.

Even the most righteous health officials end up backtracking from positions when infection rates rise and death rates follow.

People can defend policies, Governments and politicians all they like but in the end Covid will be judge jury and executioner in determining who was right and who was wrong.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Bay53 wrote: July 16, 2021, 8:15 pm
Bay53 wrote: July 16, 2021, 8:14 pm Raiders game next Thursday against the Eels confirmed to be at Gold Coast.
Next weeks schedule - for what is it worth - who knows what will be what in a week.

Thursday, 22 July
7.50pm: Eels v Raiders, Cbus Super Stadium (Nine / Fox)

Friday, 23 July
6pm: Roosters v Knights, Sunshine Coast Stadium (Fox)
7.55pm: Cowboys v Storm, Qld Country Bank Stadium (Nine / Fox)

Saturday, 24 July
3pm: Rabbitohs v Warriors, Sunshine Coast Stadium (Fox)
5.30pm: Sea Eagles v Wests Tigers, Suncorp Stadium (Fox)
7.35pm: Panthers v Broncos, Suncorp Stadium (Fox)

Sunday, 25 July
1.50pm: Dragons v Titans, Cbus Super Stadium (Fox)
4.05pm: Bulldogs v Sharks, Cbus Super Stadium (Nine / Fox)
Thanks Bay53, another 5 day turnaround for the Raiders when we play the Eels. At least with everyone on the Gold Coast there will be no extra travel involved. I wonder how we are placed for access to rehab facilities/doctors etc. for players and families. Hopefully by next years draw the number of 5 day turnarounds will be further reduced,
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I actually think relocation has played to our advantage as we don't have to travel to the game on the day of the match like last year. The 5 day turnaround is tough, esp against a top 4 team. We had a 5 days turnaround after the GC game for Manly and did well.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Isn’t the quickest incubation time one day? Doesn’t delta incubate faster (an average of four days)? Wasn’t it four days until they got to the contacts and had testing done? Regardless, it is a major failing of the NSW Premier and Government, that a painter from Fairfield with the most contagious strain of COVID yet was allowed to travel at least two hours outside greater Sydney… when Sydney is supposed to be in lock down. It is serious incompetence that they exposed a significant regional town in NSW in this way… and risked another major population centre in the ACT. All because of hubris.
One day? Highly doubtful, unless you've got something that suggests otherwise. Incubate faster? Maybe, maybe not? I've seen articles that suggest both. Whenever a new more transmissible arises it's been suggested that it's incubation period is shorter. That's not found to be the case. Agree it's a major failing, utterly ridiculous that he was travelling out of Sydney. But also think that some of the hysteria surrounding it was unwarranted.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Not even having all games in QLD will help the Broncos Image
They seem to be getting 'the rub' this arvo.

Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

gergreg wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:
Northern Raider wrote:

Not even having all games in QLD will help the Broncos Image
They seem to be getting 'the rub' this arvo.

Nothing new there
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Well a second half **** Broncos capitulation closes out the weekend nicely.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: All teams possibly moving- announcement tomorrow

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:14 pm With all due respect as someone living in Sydney there is no complacency, thus the high testing numbers and high vaccination rates.
People are following the rules but people are frustrated because we have had to carry the country in terms of quarantine and air cargo ( and their crew,) coming in.

The season will not stop, vlandys and co will ensure it finishes on time
Hmmmm
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:10 am
cat wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:14 pm With all due respect as someone living in Sydney there is no complacency, thus the high testing numbers and high vaccination rates.
People are following the rules but people are frustrated because we have had to carry the country in terms of quarantine and air cargo ( and their crew,) coming in.

Hmmmm
Yep I'm right again, Thankyou for reminding everyone
Yes the season will finish on time
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:06 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 31, 2021, 11:10 am

Hmmmm
Yep I'm right again, Thankyou for reminding everyone
Yes the season will finish on time
I’d say the season stopped today Cat - will start again tomorrow but definitely stopped today I think. How you tracking with Covid complacency in Sydney- that all still going well?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

How we travelling Cat? 319 new daily cases, nearly 5,000 in the cluster and the NSW Government pleading with the Sydney population to stop being complacent.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:54 pm
-TW- wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:00 pm This thread is fake news, it was the 9 Sydney teams, not all teams

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

Yep I was right.
I'm sure your big enough to admit it :roflmao
How's that no complacency going?

77 cases today, probably 120 tomorrow

Most of those are family contacts , there a many large families who all live in the same house in Sydney. Over 55 of those cases were family members

Don't let the facts get in the way of your childishness
Still all family contacts and fake news Cat? The CHO is saying she wishes Sydney locked down quicker. Sounds like a really bad case of complacency to me.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
cat wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:54 pm
-TW- wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:00 pm This thread is fake news, it was the 9 Sydney teams, not all teams

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

Yep I was right.
I'm sure your big enough to admit it :roflmao
How's that no complacency going?

77 cases today, probably 120 tomorrow

Most of those are family contacts , there a many large families who all live in the same house in Sydney. Over 55 of those cases were family members

Don't let the facts get in the way of your childishness
Still all family contacts and fake news Cat? The CHO is saying she wishes Sydney locked down quicker. Sounds like a really bad case of complacency to me.
Complacent? Maybe.

They had previously been very successful at controlling much larger outbreaks of previous variants. They have seriously underestimated how much more transmissable delta is.

Now it's in a demographic that is going to be very difficult to eliminate it from.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Getting worse by the day Doc Z. It’s loose right through NSW and posing a big risk for some vulnerable communities out west. I reckon if Gladys could go back in time she would have taken a very different approach early on. The messaging and attitudes in Sydney were just wrong and now we see the outcomes.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:Getting worse by the day Doc Z. It’s loose right through NSW and posing a big risk for some vulnerable communities out west. I reckon if Gladys could go back in time she would have taken a very different approach early on. The messaging and attitudes in Sydney were just wrong and now we see the outcomes.
I don't know that its loose through out NSW. I've not been to Sydney, but did a road trip through NSW in March, and I'd say 90% of places asked to see my check in. Same on my recent trip through rural Queensland.

But here on the GC it would be lucky if I was asked 10% of the time. I go to my local Cafe every day. It is literally across the road from a quarantine hotel, and provides the workers with coffee. Not once have I been asked to show my check in. Small towns seem to do it much better, but are much less a risk of a covid outbreak.

Definitely an issue with messaging though. A lot of requesting, rather than demanding.

The main issue however is that with tightening of restrictions today, they are probably at a level of restriction that they should have been at 6 weeks ago. They have seemed reluctant to be an imposition on its citizens, which has resulted in a much longer and overall burdensome imposition.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2021, 11:44 am
Billy Walker wrote:Getting worse by the day Doc Z. It’s loose right through NSW and posing a big risk for some vulnerable communities out west. I reckon if Gladys could go back in time she would have taken a very different approach early on. The messaging and attitudes in Sydney were just wrong and now we see the outcomes.
I don't know that its loose through out NSW. I've not been to Sydney, but did a road trip through NSW in March, and I'd say 90% of places asked to see my check in. Same on my recent trip through rural Queensland.

But here on the GC it would be lucky if I was asked 10% of the time. I go to my local Cafe every day. It is literally across the road from a quarantine hotel, and provides the workers with coffee. Not once have I been asked to show my check in. Small towns seem to do it much better, but are much less a risk of a covid outbreak.

Definitely an issue with messaging though. A lot of requesting, rather than demanding.

The main issue however is that with tightening of restrictions today, they are probably at a level of restriction that they should have been at 6 weeks ago. They have seemed reluctant to be an imposition on its citizens, which has resulted in a much longer and overall burdensome imposition.
I’d say a government as reluctant to lock down as NSW just making a decision to lock down the entire state suggests there is a view it is loose in NSW and perhaps there was a level of complacency in Sydney early on despite Cat telling us we were all being sucked in by media hype for observing the complacency.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: August 14, 2021, 11:44 am

I’d say a government as reluctant to lock down as NSW just making a decision to lock down the entire state suggests there is a view it is loose in NSW and perhaps there was a level of complacency in Sydney early on despite Cat telling us we were all being sucked in by media hype for observing the complacency.
I think that you are reading too much into that. Out of interest, where do you live?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:27 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:25 pm

Yeah Sydney is doing a great job :nooo
are you in Sydney? Or just commenting on something your not actually living and seeing?
I’m commenting on something that most the country is now actually living and seeing because of Sydney’s complacency back in July.
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Sorry Billy I haven't replied to any of your childish digs.
Been a bit busy supporting friends who have lost their income, supporting friends who are struggling with mental health, supporting families of my students who are getting attacked by their child everyday.
Been a bit busy making sure my real friends, not keyboard warriors are going to make it to the end of this lockdown

But hey keep it up mate, you're a real big person ( you wont even answer dr where you are making these huge judgements from)
To those on here who have reached out and checked how I'm going thank you.

All I will say is delta is a different beast, and the only way out for the world is vaccination ( billy you had your jab yet?)

Sydney is living through the toughest lockdown ever seen in Australia, tougher then Melbourne, tougher then Canberra. 99% of the people are doing the right thing. The cases are coming from essential work places and large families.
You dont want Sydneysiders coming to Canberra? Ok then no deliveries to the supermarkets, no mail, no petrol etc. See how that goes.

As I said Billy I've been busy supporting people, preventing people from falling through the cracks, taking their own lives.
You just keep being the keyboard warrior you are, and live in your dream world where you are perfect and Sydney is so bad
Vaccinated
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

cat wrote: August 18, 2021, 4:44 pm Sydney is living through the toughest lockdown ever seen in Australia, tougher then Melbourne, tougher then Canberra.
EDIT

Mod note: Please remember everyone that we should not upload full sized copyright photographs. You can share images using the media code, where that's supported (eg. from Instagram, Twitter etc) or you can share GIFs via Tapatalk. Raider Azz... please feel free to edit this post to convey your meaning.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

The only people who believe that are Gladys and Cat

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah can’t agree with you Cat about Sydney’s mock down being the toughest in the land or that 99% of people are doing the right thing. You will look as silly as Gladys trying to win those arguments. I see Sydney has now even exported Covid to NZ as well as some very vulnerable indigenous communities in western NSW so not good.

All that aside, I am sorry to hear of the predicament some of your friends find themselves in and you are a good person for being there and helping them at this time. Look after yourself and stay safe!
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: August 18, 2021, 10:27 pm Yeah can’t agree with you Cat about Sydney’s mock down being the toughest in the land or that 99% of people are doing the right thing. You will look as silly as Gladys trying to win those arguments. I see Sydney has now even exported Covid to NZ as well as some very vulnerable indigenous communities in western NSW so not good.

All that aside, I am sorry to hear of the predicament some of your friends find themselves in and you are a good person for being there and helping them at this time. Look after yourself and stay safe!
As your such an expert- where did you say you were living,? Or just getting your info from journos?

What restrictions need to come in to make it tougher? And restrictions that actually make a difference?

As I said I'm actually living it , I actually see what people can and cant do. I'm seeing people doing the right thing and I'm watching people's lives go down the drain

I actually feel for canberra right now, with low testing numbers and this believe covid was everywhere but canberra you have a health system thats struggling ( they called out for nurses in the press conference) and cases that are well into the community.

We are all as a world fighting this virus, it's just so sad to see people sitting on their high horse thinking they are fantastic and throwing stones at others like you do.

Ive reached out to my friends who live in Canberra to see how they are doing, have you reached out to anyone?
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: August 19, 2021, 12:51 am
Billy Walker wrote: August 18, 2021, 10:27 pm Yeah can’t agree with you Cat about Sydney’s mock down being the toughest in the land or that 99% of people are doing the right thing. You will look as silly as Gladys trying to win those arguments. I see Sydney has now even exported Covid to NZ as well as some very vulnerable indigenous communities in western NSW so not good.

As your such an expert- where did you say you were living,? Or just getting your info from journos?

What restrictions need to come in to make it tougher? And restrictions that actually make a difference?

As I said I'm actually living it , I actually see what people can and cant do. I'm seeing people doing the right thing and I'm watching people's lives go down the drain

I actually feel for canberra right now, with low testing numbers and this believe covid was everywhere but canberra you have a health system thats struggling ( they called out for nurses in the press conference) and cases that are well into the community.

We are all as a world fighting this virus, it's just so sad to see people sitting on their high horse thinking they are fantastic and throwing stones at others like you do.

Ive reached out to my friends who live in Canberra to see how they are doing, have you reached out to anyone?
Cat - everyone is living it, everyone is affected by it. Jacinta Adern noted the situation her country is in is due to Sydney’s “long and light lock down”. Every other jurisdiction in the country has suppressed Covid outbreaks including the delta strain through short sharp lock downs that Sydney failed to do. It appears Gladys was a bit complacent in looking at delta in other countries and is only now saying that perhaps it’s different.

The simple facts are you have a CHO saying in hindsight she thinks Sydney could have gone harder sooner and you have a Premier saying there is no point tightening further line Melbourne because Sydney isn’t following the restrictions in place now. You also have a Deputy Premier who’s can’t even get his children to do the right thing.

I’m reading today NSW is looking down the barrel of 2,000+ cases a day so yeah I’m pretty sure that each and every one of us will have a role supporting everyone through this mess.

Keep telling yourself all you like what a great job Sydney is doing and how this is all just a media beat up but I’m betting at 11am today the premier will announce over 600 reasons why that just is not true.

Look after yourself- look after your friends and family, get jabbed and stay safe Cat.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
Low testing numbers? 2% of the population is getting tested per day... The same as NSW

The call for nurses is because a heap of them are close contacts, it doesn't mean the system is struggling.

It's ironic you've made the comment about believing "what journos tell you", when it's apparent you don't do any looking into anything yourself

cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: August 19, 2021, 9:16 am
cat wrote:
Low testing numbers? 2% of the population is getting tested per day... The same as NSW

The call for nurses is because a heap of them are close contacts, it doesn't mean the system is struggling.

It's ironic you've made the comment about believing "what journos tell you", when it's apparent you don't do any looking into anything yourself

Now they are getting tested , bit late after the horse has bolted.
And no I dont listen to the journos, I listen to the true experts who know all the facts- yep the daily press conference.
Ours is 11am every day, then Canberra at 1145am

I've had both my jabs , wonder how many of you guys have?
Only way out is vaccination
Vaccinated