Canberra Raiders relocated to Gold Coast due to COVID

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Canberra Raiders, along with 11 other clubs, relocated to Queensland due to COVID

Post by BadnMean »

Vaughan will be spewing he's missing the big party up the Gold Coast.
T_R
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders, along with 11 other clubs, relocated to Queensland due to COVID

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2021, 8:41 pm
Schifty wrote: July 11, 2021, 8:34 pm So the Dragons players have to complete their suspensions on the Gold Coast.

Also I wonder who draws the short straw and has to share a hotel with the Sharks.
Something tonight about Lomax and one other dragon player not wanting to fill out what sounded like pretty stock standard forms
I think it was more than they were unwilling to sign forms that they new to be false - ie they were not prepared to back up the other players' stories at the risk of perjury.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

T_R wrote: July 11, 2021, 9:48 pm
Schifty wrote: July 11, 2021, 8:34 pm So the Dragons players have to complete their suspensions on the Gold Coast.

Also I wonder who draws the short straw and has to share a hotel with the Sharks.
Something tonight about Lomax and one other dragon player not wanting to fill out what sounded like pretty stock standard forms
I think it was more than they were unwilling to sign forms that they new to be false - ie they were not prepared to back up the other players' stories at the risk of perjury.
Don’t they need to sign them to join the bubble?
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2021, 9:53 pm
T_R wrote: July 11, 2021, 9:48 pm

Don’t they need to sign them to join the bubble?
I think the club has said that, yes. So, they have a problem. They're being asked to sign declarations they believe to be false, but can't resume work until they do.

Pretty much the definition of 'messy'.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
myanonymoususername
Dean Lance

Re: ALL Nrl teams including Raiders likely moving to Queensland by round 18

Post by myanonymoususername »

BJ wrote: July 11, 2021, 2:55 pm So the NRL is moving the Raiders out of a location that hasn’t had a single case of Covid in over a year to an area with higher cases.
I suspect it's because like most other states, they think it's only a matter of time before it spreads here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: ALL Nrl teams including Raiders likely moving to Queensland by round 18

Post by greeneyed »

myanonymoususername wrote: July 11, 2021, 10:35 pm
BJ wrote: July 11, 2021, 2:55 pm So the NRL is moving the Raiders out of a location that hasn’t had a single case of Covid in over a year to an area with higher cases.
I suspect it's because like most other states, they think it's only a matter of time before it spreads here.
It is more likely the issue of potential border closures.
Postman Pat
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Hodgson

Post by Postman Pat »

greeneyed wrote:
myanonymoususername wrote: July 11, 2021, 10:35 pm
It is more likely the issue of potential border closures.
It’s 100% about the travel and boarder closures, location location.
Member no: RAI-2913997

Dare To Dream, and believe in Green, for 2019.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Yep, they’ll also want teams close together in the same state in case things spiral out of control and they need to move to a bubble again
Easier to do that if everyone is in the same state
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Read a report the QLD government might block crowds out for the games. Makes zero sense considering you can get tickets for Titans and Broncos home games against Sydney teams.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Everything you need to know about NRL relocation: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/12/eve ... elocation/
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

NEEDMEMBERSCODE
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:NEEDMEMBERSCODE
HAVEUNUSEDMEMBERSTIX

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

bonehead wrote: July 12, 2021, 11:06 am
HAVEUNUSEDMEMBERSTIX

ILIVEINQUEENSLANDSOCANGOTOSEERAIDERSPLAY
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Northern Raider wrote:
bonehead wrote: July 12, 2021, 11:06 am
HAVEUNUSEDMEMBERSTIX

ILIVEINQUEENSLANDSOCANGOTOSEERAIDERSPLAY
MAYBEILLSHOOTYOUATXT

Edrick The Entertainer
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Re: NRL considers moving all 16 teams to southeast Queensland as early as Round 18

Post by hrundi89 »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:29 pm No doubt that the people of Sydney are under considerable stress at the moment. Worried about their health, their loved ones, their income and schooling their children.

Tarring a city of 5 million with the indiscretions of a minority is probably not helpful for them. It wasn't fair to Melbournians, and it's not fair to Sydneysiders.
Well said.

There has been complacency among some and unfortunately we've seen what that can do.

If everybody does the right thing re the guidelines and getting vaccinated we will be able to look at this in the rear view mirror.

Until then this will be ongoing.

These lockdowns are tough. I can only speak for myself but it does have an impact on mental health.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: NRL considers moving all 16 teams to southeast Queensland as early as Round 18

Post by Raiders_Pat »

hrundi89 wrote: July 12, 2021, 11:30 am
Dr Zaius wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:29 pm No doubt that the people of Sydney are under considerable stress at the moment. Worried about their health, their loved ones, their income and schooling their children.

Tarring a city of 5 million with the indiscretions of a minority is probably not helpful for them. It wasn't fair to Melbournians, and it's not fair to Sydneysiders.
Well said.

There has been complacency among some and unfortunately we've seen what that can do.

If everybody does the right thing re the guidelines and getting vaccinated we will be able to look at this in the rear view mirror.

These lockdowns are tough. I can only speak for myself but it does have an impact on mental health.
If the vaccination target is 80% before things can go back to "normal" then this will be ongoing for several years. We need to approach this differently.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

hrundi89 wrote:

Well said.

I'm confused, cat said there was no complacency?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

-TW- wrote: July 12, 2021, 12:31 pm
hrundi89 wrote:

Well said.

Sydney as a whole hasn't been complacent. The people in Bondi who kicked this off clearly were. It shows clearly that it doesn't take much to turn 10 into 400.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

There are people everywhere (not just Sydney) who simply have their heads up their arses about how to behave.

At my local Woolies the other day and they were stringent about ensuring customers were masked and had checked in.

There was one young woman walking around inside with her scarf loosely around her mouth (which later wasn't up at all), and there was a Woolies employee at the checkout without a mask at all.

My in-laws are anti-vax and mask. Yet they're the first ones to complain about being put out by the lockdown.

Does my head in.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 12, 2021, 12:18 pm

Well said.

If the vaccination target is 80% before things can go back to "normal" then this will be ongoing for several years. We need to approach this differently.
We shouldn't be setting a % when you cannot force people into receiving the vaccine. Dan Andrews made a statement recently that is a better way to go. It was along the lines of getting back to normal when everybody has had the opportunity to be vaccinated.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

It should be a proportion of the population vs the available health capacity

Are they able to manage a surge in non vaccinated illness when a proportion of the population is fully vaccinated

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 12, 2021, 1:00 pm

Well said.

We shouldn't be setting a % when you cannot force people into receiving the vaccine. Dan Andrews made a statement recently that is a better way to go. It was along the lines of getting back to normal when everybody has had the opportunity to be vaccinated.
That's what I'm getting at... We've gone as far as we can as far as preventing this. It's a respiratory illness and needs to be treated as such. Now that the vaccine is available and we've found out that lockdowns have a detrimental effect on society, we should be going back to "normal" immediately. We're not an authoritarian society where we can enforce these draconian restrictions with force and nor should we be evolving into one.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: July 12, 2021, 1:07 pm
Northern Raider wrote: July 12, 2021, 1:00 pm

Well said.

That's what I'm getting at... We've gone as far as we can as far as preventing this. It's a respiratory illness and needs to be treated as such. Now that the vaccine is available and we've found out that lockdowns have a detrimental effect on society, we should be going back to "normal" immediately. We're not an authoritarian society where we can enforce these draconian restrictions with force and nor should we be evolving into one.
You don’t think it might be a good idea to put the brakes of this killer virus until everyone who might want the vaccine has had the opportunity to get it?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

hrundi89 wrote: July 12, 2021, 12:54 pm
hrundi89 wrote:

Well said.

Sydney as a whole hasn't been complacent. The people in Bondi who kicked this off clearly were. It shows clearly that it doesn't take much to turn 10 into 400.
If that were true it would be circulating around Bondi with little to no ability to spread among the rest of the diligent and vigilant population. I’m sure some people in Sydney are doing the right thing and I am genuinely appreciative of them the same way I am grateful for the massive sacrifices the good folks in Melbourne have made for the nation. I just can’t see this outbreak being rounded up.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Back on topic. Raiders will be based on the Gold Coast along with Eels, Warriors, Dogs and Bunnies. Assume that means our next 2 games will be there. Knights are on Sunshine Coast so we might be playing there in round 20.

Revealed - the bubble plan for every team as NRL scrambles to avoid $25m disaster

The 12 relocated teams have been split amongst three hubs consisting of five, four and three teams divided amongst the Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast and Brisbane.

The Sydney Morning Herald’s Michael Chammas reported the Eels, Bulldogs, Rabbitohs, Raiders and Warriors will be based on the Gold Coast. Meanwhile the Panthers, Knights, Roosters and Sea Eagles will be on the Sunshine Coast, while the Dragons, Sharks and Tigers will train and live in Brisbane.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 560ebd02d2

Zero cases: Canberra Raiders seek ACT-Queensland travel leniency

With travel between the ACT and Queensland still permitted, the Raiders are set to explore the possibility of being allowed to send their players back and forward over the next month.

"It was a bit of a shock because I thought we were safe. Canberra is safe. The ACT government and people of Canberra have done a fantastic job in containing any spread. Unfortunately we got tagged in by the Victorian government as a red zone and that changed everything," Raiders CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/12/zer ... -leniency/

VIDEO: Don Furner: We're working with players and staff on relocating: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... elocating/

Raiders to be part of NRL hub at Mercure Carrara on the Gold Coast: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280

VIDEO: Abdo explains relocation of 12 clubs to Queensland: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/12/abd ... ueensland/
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mercure Cararra looks pretty good: https://www.mercuregoldcoastresort.com.au/
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

hrundi89 wrote: July 12, 2021, 12:54 pm
hrundi89 wrote:

Well said.

Wrong.
I happen to be best friends with one of the first infected in Bondi by patient zero.
Basically, his wife was working in retail (David Jones) when the infamous Limo driver went past her section..
Few days later, they were both unwell and self isolated. They took the test and indeed they had the virus...
They were in the original cluster of 10 or so...
They live in Bondi and were nothing more than victims of circumstances...
The **** up belongs to government for not insisting on front line workers being vaccinated and not having a quarantine facility (using hotels for an air born virus)..
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Re: Canberra Raiders relocated to Gold Coast due to COVID

...and here's be thinking it was because some dude in Wuhan ate a bat.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

I appreciate what Don is trying to do, but I don't see the border situation staying that way. We know that the last time states closed borders to NSW but not the ACT, selfish Sydney jerks sneaked into Canberra to fly to the closed states and get around the closures. I don't doubt it will happen again, just look at the number of Sydneyjerks they had to kick out on the very first weekend - and that was just the ones they knew about. More have been caught since.

And after seeing the way Sydney carried on towards Melbourne last year, I have no compunction in laying the boot in on this occasion, especially since their stupidity increases our risk. They called him Dictator Dan for doing what needed doing; no Butcher Berejiklian headlines of course, despite her movements being governed solely by selfish political pride with no consideration for the people who elected her to SERVE them.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Can we have a comp to guess the first player in the NRL to get kicked out of QLD for a bubble breach?

I'm picking Dugan.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

raiderskater wrote:I appreciate what Don is trying to do, but I don't see the border situation staying that way. We know that the last time states closed borders to NSW but not the ACT, selfish Sydney jerks sneaked into Canberra to fly to the closed states and get around the closures. I don't doubt it will happen again, just look at the number of Sydneyjerks they had to kick out on the very first weekend - and that was just the ones they knew about. More have been caught since.

And after seeing the way Sydney carried on towards Melbourne last year, I have no compunction in laying the boot in on this occasion, especially since their stupidity increases our risk. They called him Dictator Dan for doing what needed doing; no Butcher Berejiklian headlines of course, despite her movements being governed solely by selfish political pride with no consideration for the people who elected her to SERVE them.
Great work generalising about 5 million people
Bravo.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:

Well said.

That's ultimately where it will end up, unfortunately it doesn't take into account those that can't be vaccinated.

Australians are overwhelmingly provax. I don't doubt that 80% achievable once more palatable vaccines are available, provided they sort out the delivery logistics.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Schifty wrote: July 12, 2021, 7:54 pm Can we have a comp to guess the first player in the NRL to get kicked out of QLD for a bubble breach?

I'm picking Dugan.
They said on NRL Tonight that the Sharks aren't even going to take him.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

greeneyed wrote: July 12, 2021, 8:43 pm
Schifty wrote: July 12, 2021, 7:54 pm Can we have a comp to guess the first player in the NRL to get kicked out of QLD for a bubble breach?

I'm picking Dugan.
****... that's telling :lol:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

greeneyed wrote: July 12, 2021, 8:43 pm

I'm picking Dugan.
Hope you didn't outlay your bet already Schifty. :lol: