Canberra Raiders relocated to Gold Coast due to COVID

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Re: NRL considers moving all 16 teams to southeast Queensland as early as Round 18

Post by Northern Raider »

Abdo saying it's the 9 Sydney clubs. Didn't mention Canberra, Newcastle or Melbourne. They could still be included. Would make sense for logistics. Harsh on fans of those clubs though.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/11/arl ... -24-hours/
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Re: All teams possibly moving- announcement tomorrow

Post by cat »

-TW- wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:40 pm
cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:00 pm This thread is fake news, it was the 9 Sydney teams, not all teams

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

Yep I was right.
I'm sure your big enough to admit it :roflmao
How's that no complacency going?

77 cases today, probably 120 tomorrow

Most of those are family contacts , there a many large families who all live in the same house in Sydney. Over 55 of those cases were family members

Don't let the facts get in the way of your childishness
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Re: NRL considers moving all 16 teams to southeast Queensland as early as Round 18

Post by cat »

Northern Raider wrote: July 11, 2021, 4:52 pm Abdo saying it's the 9 Sydney clubs. Didn't mention Canberra, Newcastle or Melbourne. They could still be included. Would make sense for logistics. Harsh on fans of those clubs though.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/11/arl ... -24-hours/
It would be hard on all clubs, players and staff.

In terms of the raiders Jack will struggle to leave his newborn for 8 weeks or longer, papa has another kid due, many with young kids and can Tapine survive without his wife telling him how to play?

Some players might just say no
Vaccinated
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

The NRL is on Wednesday set to relocate as many as 12 teams to Queensland in a desperate bid to keep the competition alive: https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-co ... 588qh.html

It’s including Canberra.
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

cat wrote:
cat wrote:
-TW- wrote: July 10, 2021, 9:00 pm This thread is fake news, it was the 9 Sydney teams, not all teams

Yep I was right.

Most of those are family contacts , there a many large families who all live in the same house in Sydney. Over 55 of those cases were family members

How did those families catch covid again? Or are they making it in their houses?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It makes sense. If the borders suddenly snap closed, you want all 16 teams in the same state.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: All teams possibly moving- announcement tomorrow

Post by -TW- »

cat wrote:
cat wrote:

Yep I was right.

How about trying to present the facts as the are instead of skewing them repeatedly.

Sydney have been told for weeks now since this **** started not to visit other households unless it was to provide care/absolutely necessary. How the **** else does it spread.

Oh I dunno, complacency, having parties, dragging every member of the family to visit another family.

How about presenting this fact that clearly shows people don't give a **** when they're sick: Of the 77 cases, only 32 were in isolation for all of their infectious period

Call me childish all you want, but as I said (until you abused your moderator powers and edited it unnecessarily) I'll continue to call out the false **** you post

Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Timbo wrote: July 11, 2021, 5:04 pm It makes sense. If the borders suddenly snap closed, you want all 16 teams in the same state.
Yeah. Much easier to shift everyone. Players will also have greater freedom of movement as they could leave the bubble after 14 days.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL set to move 10 clubs to Queensland on Wednesday as Covid threat increases

The Australian Rugby League Commission is currently locked in an emergency board meeting where they are tipped to rubberstamp 10 NRL clubs moving to Queensland as of Wednesday. ARLC chairman Peter V’landys has been working the phones to ensure all nine Sydney NRL clubs plus the New Zealand Warriors will relocate to the Gold Coast.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

The ARL Commission will advise clubs on Sunday evening whether they need to relocate to ensure the NRL competition continues in the face of a surging COVID-19 outbreak in NSW: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/11/arl ... -24-hours/

NRL considers relocating every club to Queensland amid worsening COVID-19 crisis, Raiders clash with Titans could shift to Sunshine State: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So fox just reported it's all NSW teams including Newcastle and the Warriors

Canberra wasn't mentioned

Sooner they announce what they're doing the better

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Thank you Sydney! Try to be better.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times story reads as if the Raiders will move... but I don't think anyone actually knows at the moment, given the NRL is still meeting to decide.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Now Canberra included in the latest announcement.

So seems I was wrong

Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

Surely Melbourne now have to move as well.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

NRL set to move 12 clubs to QLD on Wednesday as Covid threat increases

The NRL will shortly confirm 12 clubs are on the move to Queensland as of Wednesday. The nine Sydney-based NRL clubs, the New Zealand Warriors, Canberra and Newcastle will all be re-located to Queensland. The draw for round 18 will remain the same but all venues and times are still being thrashed out at NRL headquarters. The NRL will hold a phone hook-up with all 16 club CEO’s at 6pm on Sunday to confirm.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

NRL to relocate every club to Queensland amid worsening COVID-19 crisis, Round 18 clash with Sharks set to shift from Canberra Stadium to a Queensland venue yet to be determined: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14280
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

I don't really get that when the ACT has 0 cases but other than that , fair enough - I get the issue with snap borders.
Last edited by Azza on July 11, 2021, 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

No doubt that the people of Sydney are under considerable stress at the moment. Worried about their health, their loved ones, their income and schooling their children.

Tarring a city of 5 million with the indiscretions of a minority is probably not helpful for them. It wasn't fair to Melbournians, and it's not fair to Sydneysiders.
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

What’s the bet we end up playing all our games at Redcliffe, Toowoomba and other Q Cup venues whilst the Channel 9 darlings get to use Suncorp and Robina?
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:29 pm No doubt that the people of Sydney are under considerable stress at the moment. Worried about their health, their loved ones, their income and schooling their children.

Tarring a city of 5 million with the indiscretions of a minority is probably not helpful for them. It wasn't fair to Melbournians, and it's not fair to Sydneysiders.
Correct. And looking at the daily update of at risk areas, it’s not ‘waiting for a coffee at bondi’ like out of Towners like to portray it as. They are public transport routes and essential service locations (as mandated by nsw government, however much I disagree with why ikea is an essential service).

This bastard travels easy. We should have lgas locked to stop it’s spreading to other areas in Sydney. Currently the only distance restriction is on excersize, 10km from home. I can however drive from wyong to Wollongong to go shopping if I like. That shopping could be jb hi fi.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

That makes no sense, and tbh it didn't during the first lockdown that jbhifi et al are considered essential retail.

Buy the **** thing online and have it delivered, surely you don't need something that urgently you can't wait a day or 2 for it to be delivered

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Sky news was reporting on the situation in Sydney today while couples wandered around behind the reporter browsing shop windows. Things aren’t where they need to be and this will end in tears
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

-TW- wrote: July 11, 2021, 5:59 pm Now Canberra included in the latest announcement.

So seems I was wrong

This report says Canberra can stay outside bubble so maybe you aren’t wrong at all

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/nrl-s ... 54859b9136
cat
Laurie Daley

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:55 pm
-TW- wrote: July 11, 2021, 5:59 pm Now Canberra included in the latest announcement.

So seems I was wrong

This report says Canberra can stay outside bubble so maybe you aren’t wrong at all

That article says we are going in the first paragraph, later says no then says yes we are going.
Not the best article to read
Vaccinated
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Standard news.com.au then
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

cat wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:57 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 11, 2021, 6:55 pm

So seems I was wrong

That article says we are going in the first paragraph, later says no then says yes we are going.
Not the best article to read
Big League Wrap saying all teams going but also saying it keeps changing - apparently Abdo is coming up
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: ARLC announces 12 clubs, including Canberra Raiders, relocating to Queensland for at least a month due to COVID spike

Twelve NRL clubs will relocate to south-east Queensland for a month to keep the 2021 competition alive. They will relocate to dedicated hubs by Wednesday and play home matches out of Lang Park, Robina Stadium or Sunshine Coast Stadium. All Queensland-based clubs, along with the Melbourne Storm will continue to be based and play home games out of their current home cities.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/11/arl ... vid-spike/

NRL boss confirms 12 clubs will relocate to Queensland by Wednesday: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 1d8a5bd48f

NRL Premiership update

The Australian Rugby League Commission (ARLC) tonight approved the relocation of all NSW and ACT based teams to Southeast Queensland for one month to minimise risk of the NRL Premiership being impacted by the growing COVID-19 outbreak in Sydney.

NSW and ACT Teams will relocate to dedicated hubs by Wednesday and play home matches out of either Lang Park, Robina Stadium or Sunshine Coast Stadium. All Queensland based clubs, along with the Melbourne Storm will continue to be based and play home games out of their current home cities.

The National Rugby League (NRL) is finalising arrangements with the Queensland Government to ensure every club has access to appropriate facilities at each hub. Clubs will be flown on charter flights to Queensland and comply with Apollo Protocols and public health requirements to ensure no risk to the Queensland Community. Every club will be permitted a maximum of 41 players and staff while in Queensland.

A revised schedule with the location of games for the next four Rounds will be released in the coming days.

The Commission will continue to monitor the data daily and review arrangements on a weekly basis. Clubs will return to Sydney as soon as the Commission believes risk to the competition in NSW has subsided. It is possible the relocations could be longer than one month.

Australian Rugby League Commission Chairman Peter V’landys AM said the Commission’s decision minimised the risk of the competition having to be suspended and protected the livelihoods of players and the many other people who generate their income from the game.

“The Commission has conducted an extensive risk assessment and it is clear from the current data trends that the risk to the competition is too great to continue playing in NSW right now. We are seeing close and casual contacts with links to our game on an almost daily basis,” he said.

“Queensland presents much lower risk. The Commission is doing everything we can to keep the competition going. By keeping the competition going we keep people employed and ensure the players continue to be paid at their current rate.

“Rugby League is also an escapism for people during difficult times and it’s important we do everything we can so our fans can continue to watch rugby league every week especially whilst in lockdown.”

Mr V’landys acknowledged the sacrifices players and football staff would make.

“These are very difficult decisions. I feel for the players who have to leave their homes for a period. We will not keep players in Queensland any longer than they need to be. We hope it is only for a month, but if it needs to be longer, it will be. We’re doing this to protect their livelihoods.

“This will also have a commercial impact on clubs. I have assured all clubs that the NRL will ensure they remain financially strong during this period. The NRL has found extensive efficiencies and commercial revenue over the last year which ensured the game is financially stronger than it otherwise would have been.

“I want to thank the Queensland Government. I personally have a huge debt of gratitude to the Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk for her support of our game.”

NRL Chief Executive Andrew Abdo said the league’s Apollo Team was ready to implement the relocation.

“We have planned for all scenarios and we are ready to implement hubs in Southeast Queensland to ensure the continuity of the competition. We will finalise the exact locations that teams will be based and the updated schedule in the next 24 hours,’’ he said.

“Southeast Queensland has multiple stadiums, high quality venues to train, first class hotel infrastructure and a low risk of COVID-19 infection.

“Our game succeeds when we work together and I want to acknowledge and thank the clubs, the players and our partners. This impacts our broadcast and commercial partners and I thank them for their assistance and doing their part to ensure the competition can continue.

“We will continue to work closely with our biosecurity experts to track the data and consider the risk in NSW. We will also work closely with our clubs to ensure they have every assistance they require.”

NRL media release
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Good move
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Revised Schedule. Assuming everybody plays the same teams. Maybe time slots will change.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Northern Raider wrote:Revised Schedule. Assuming everybody plays the same teams. Maybe time slots will change.
Broncos 3 remaining non Thurs/Fri games rescheduled to that timeslot.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Northern Raider wrote: July 11, 2021, 7:36 pm Revised Schedule. Assuming everybody plays the same teams. Maybe time slots will change.
Abdo suggested they would look at opportunities to be innovative and run double headers etc
Stagtime
David Shillington
Favourite Player: David Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders, along with 11 other clubs, relocated to Queensland due to COVID

Post by Stagtime »

Georgie boy should of hung around and got his Goldie and Sunny Coast living experience. Hope the surfs up on the Mersey.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Re: Canberra Raiders, along with 11 other clubs, relocated to Queensland due to COVID

Post by Billy Walker »

This could be just the thing the Raiders need to click and all that and make a charge into the 8 with a bit of momentum - probably not but who knows
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Billy Walker wrote:This could be just the thing the Raiders need to click and all that and make a charge into the 8 with a bit of momentum - probably not but who knows
Maybe if they are co-located with the Chooks, Robbo can take some of the training runs
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by Schifty »

So the Dragons players have to complete their suspensions on the Gold Coast.

Also I wonder who draws the short straw and has to share a hotel with the Sharks.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Schifty wrote: July 11, 2021, 8:34 pm So the Dragons players have to complete their suspensions on the Gold Coast.

Also I wonder who draws the short straw and has to share a hotel with the Sharks.
Something tonight about Lomax and one other dragon player not wanting to fill out what sounded like pretty stock standard forms