Sharks 13+
13%

Total votes: 8

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: 2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Billy Walker »

Reckon there will be a lot of teams in the top 4 cheering for whoever plays the Raiders
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:32 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:29 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:26 pm Few people on here were outraged that we would throw Savage to the wolves at fullback without a good 4 or 5 on the wing…. Still think that???
haha. When I suggested he should be on the bench very early on this year when Aekins was fullback everyone was saying how he should have one year of NSW Cup.

Big difference hey between Savage and Aekins

They compared him to Belcher and Dugan on fox but I think he's more Mullins
I don't want to talk too early but he reminds me of Billy Slater
I dont want to **** on the kid because the moment i saw a highlight of him i was all in
But if he's going to be a long term fullback, he needs ball playing... with time he'll improve as a last line defender but that's never going to be his game

It's this simple for me... if he can develop ball playing, he's a fullback, if he cant, he's a damn good winger.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

It’s really been a crazy season. If we managed to win any of the games we were actually should of won (Newcastle, Cowboys, Warriors, Dragons) we are sitting on the same points as Manly
Last edited by Raider of d Lost Ark on July 17, 2021, 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Where is Raiderskater - I know she will be gushing over Savage and this is a fan crush I totally approve of for once….
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

Billy Walker wrote:Reckon there will be a lot of teams in the top 4 cheering for whoever plays the Raiders
It’s a nice thought Billy, I still think we’re a long way off the top 5 teams. We are probably top of the mid field when we can play at our best.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:29 pm Jack can’t catch, kick or make good decisions at the moment but bugger me he has matured a lot from “Mr Still Get Paid” to the leader that stood beside Savage and showed him how to do media. His awareness in acknowledging recent departures from the club was very impressive!
Oath, Quality.
This place is woke.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Really very happy tonight - we played positive and the way football should be played. More 1989-1994 like than 2019-2020
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:35 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:26 pm Few people on here were outraged that we would throw Savage to the wolves at fullback without a good 4 or 5 on the wing…. Still think that???
haha. When I suggested he should be on the bench very early on this year when Aekins was fullback everyone was saying how he should have one year of NSW Cup.

I dont want to **** on the kid because the moment i saw a highlight of him i was all in
But if he's going to be a long term fullback, he needs ball playing... with time he'll improve as a last line defender but that's never going to be his game

It's this simple for me... if he can develop ball playing, he's a fullback, if he cant, he's a damn good winger.
Don’t ruin it Botman - Laurie, Mullins, Nagas, Slater, Belcher…. I was tipping you’d throw in Langlands for certain. Is it over the top for a 2 game player - of course not :roflmao
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

Hong Kong Raider wrote:Really very happy tonight - we played positive and the way football should be played. More 1989-1994 like than 2019-2020
Interesting they noted the last time Raiders offloaded that much was 2019 GF.

Keep the cue out of the rack.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Xavier Savage/Morgan Harper..same father.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Expectations this season were 1/2. Yes were were rubbish and nowhere near the pointy end but far too good a team to be 10/11. We make a run here. That was a step up from Manly and that is momentum
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Not often I disagree with you bot but he is too good to play wing. There are few guys whose ballplaying is so good that it would warrant supplanting him at #1 and taking him out of the game... you won't suffer in attack with X at the back
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Wt do we do with cnk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:48 pm Wt do we do with cnk
You solve the defensive black hole at one of the centre spots.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:40 pm Don’t ruin it Botman - Laurie, Mullins, Nagas, Slater, Belcher…. I was tipping you’d throw in Langlands for certain. Is it over the top for a 2 game player - of course not :roflmao
Nathan Brown said he knew after one training session how good Reece Walsh was. Sam Walker didn't take me long. I don't need much time for Savage either. He's in same class

Careful of being like Kevin Walters with Walsh who wanted to wait and see, wait and see Credit to Sticky and Raiders coaching for putting Savage at #1
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Raider of d Lost Ark wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:32 pm
Green Taipan wrote:CHN was immense tonight. However, without Frawley our kicking game was ordinary. We need those repeat sets to compete with the big boys!
Totally agree. We played Manly out of the game last week with the repeat sets.

We kept the Sharks in it tonight with **** 5th play options
The kicking was atrocious tonight. I recall only one line drop out
Butters
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Butters »

Botman wrote:
This. Straight in for Seb. Tomoko/HSS on other side. Get Seb On the bench.

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

PROUD MEMBER OF THE CONVERSION ENTHUSIASTS
2009 Golden Boogs: McLinden Award
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:46 pm

Not often I disagree with you bot but he is too good to play wing. There are few guys whose ballplaying is so good that it would warrant supplanting him at #1 and taking him out of the game... you won't suffer in attack with X at the back
We'll see
Would love you to be right, nothing but love for Savage

But i think ball playing is THE most important part of structure in RL today and i think it will be for the next 10 years. But honestly that's a discussion for another night. Tonight we should just toast to the amazing talent that Savage is.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Yeah Savage is a future immortal IMO
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders' Savage win has Jack Wighton cost

An NRL star is born, but he and another Canberra Raiders star's injuries meant their crucial win over Cronulla came at a heavy cost. They beat the Sharks 34-18 at the Gold Coast on Saturday night, but it was soured by injuries to Dally M Medallist Jack Wighton (chest) and Xavier Savage (shoulder).

CANBERRA RAIDERS 34 (Jordan Rapana, Jack Wighton, Hudson Young, Xavier Savage, Semi Valemei tries; Jarrod Croker 7 goals) defeated CRONULLA SHARKS 18 (Jesse Ramien, Sione Katoa, Ronaldo Mulitalo tries; Braydon Trindall 3 goals) at the Gold Coast. Referee: Grant Atkins.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14264

Stuart might call on new faces for busted-up Raiders: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

Bizarre decision leads to 8-point try in Canberra Raiders win over Cronulla Sharks

The bunker had an absolute shocker in the early stages of Canberra's win over Cronulla when they awarded Jordan Rapana an 8-point try. Cronulla five-eighth Braydon Trindall was adjudged to have hit Rapana high as the Raiders winger was grounding the ball, but Rapana would've barely even known Trindall had made contact with him.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders unearth a rising star as Xavier Savage sinks Cronulla Sharks: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/17/rai ... ks-sharks/

MATCH REPORT: Canberra Raiders surge to victory against Cronulla Sharks: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... -cronulla/

MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/17/mat ... -v-sharks/

PRESS CONFERENCES: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... d-18-2021/

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-18/

Sharks coach Josh Hannay: https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra- ... -round-18/

Savage gets Ricky's tick of approval for toughness: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/17/rai ... ks-sharks/

'Got what we deserved': Hannay unhappy with effort and intent: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/17/got ... nd-intent/

GALLERY: Raiders v Sharks: https://www.gettyimages.com.au/photos/2 ... a%20sharks

‘A star is born’ as rookie savages Sharks; rolling Raiders shake ‘Faders’ tag: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... c123cfbf76

Experts, fans slam ‘rubbish’ bunker call: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... e2114cebc8
Last edited by The Greenhouse on July 17, 2021, 8:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Butters wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:52 pm
Botman wrote:

We need to give Timoko and HSS a go at centre. CNK to wing. Kris either a centre spot or bench. We cannot persist with Croker and Scott next year at centre.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on July 17, 2021, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:52 pm We'll see
Would love you to be right, nothing but love for Savage

But i think ball playing is THE most important part of structure in RL today and i think it will be for the next 10 years. But honestly that's a discussion for another night. Tonight we should just toast to the amazing talent that Savage is.
Good call and thanks to acid reflux, I toast my alcohol-free beer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:50 pm
Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:40 pm Don’t ruin it Botman - Laurie, Mullins, Nagas, Slater, Belcher…. I was tipping you’d throw in Langlands for certain. Is it over the top for a 2 game player - of course not :roflmao
Nathan Brown said he knew after one training session how good Reece Walsh was. Sam Walker didn't take me long. I don't need much time for Savage either. He's in same class

Careful of being like Kevin Walters with Walsh who wanted to wait and see, wait and see Credit to Sticky and Raiders coaching for putting Savage at #1
I agree. It makes my cry that we only see this kid because of a truckload of injury and after we explore a plodder. Learn from this Ricky - the answer isn’t 2 or 3 year contracts for old men it is empowering the youth and letting them shine. Psssssst Timoko will also be very very good when he gets a chance
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:54 pm
Botman wrote:

We need to give Timoko and HSS a go at centre. CNK to wing. Kris either a centre spot or bench. We cannot persist with Croker and Scott next year at centre.
It's nice to have options. Tough decisions on Croker, Whitehead and Scott coming up for those in charge
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:56 pm
Botman wrote:

It's nice to have options. Tough decisions on Croker, Whitehead and Scott coming up for those in charge
But is it really tough?
Last edited by Billy Walker on July 17, 2021, 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

According to Fox, Savage made 234 metres tonight. All at high speed. Very impressive.
Green Taipan
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Big Mal

Post by Green Taipan »

I think this is the first time this year we have played an expansive game. Ricky's usual game plan is the boring and predictable one -out up the middle. Hopefully, we build on this revelation!
It's a simple game; tackle, back-up, pass, hold the ball! What did I say? "Hold the bloody ball!!"
Gold member 2023
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Botman wrote:

We need to give Timoko and HHS a go at centre. CNK to wing. Kris either a centre spot or bench. We cannot persist with Croker and Scott next year at centre.
Wing, centre, couldnt care less, couldnt give a **** if im honest
I would have CNK's name written in cement as on of my 2-5 and where he plays would be entirely dependent on which of the other guys stood up... Semi, Simo, HSS, Timoko, Kris... give me the best 3 and ill slot CNK into the spot remaining. If that's wing, cool. if that's centre, cool.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:58 pm
Canberra Milk wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:56 pm
Botman wrote:

But is it really tough?
Well... lol
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Raider47 wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:26 pm Whitehead to 13 next week, move Sutton to prop. Sutton, Tapine, Papalii and Guler as our middle men. I like it.

1000% agree
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think Whitehead is in trouble, actually i think playing the style of footy we played tonight, Whitehead would really help us with some creativity
Young was impressive though

Croker and Scott shouldnt play. I dont think Scott will, and im certain Croker will
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Botman wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:58 pm
Botman wrote:

We need to give Timoko and HHS a go at centre. CNK to wing. Kris either a centre spot or bench. We cannot persist with Croker and Scott next year at centre.
I would have CNK's name written in cement as on of my 2-5 and where he plays would be entirely dependent on which of the other guys stood up... Semi, Simo, HSS, Timoko, Kris... give me the best 3 and ill slot CNK into the spot remaining. If that's wing, cool. if that's centre, cool.
So you all assume Croker won't be there next year. Hope Ricky is thinking the same.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Our biggest priority atm is finding a #7 for next year.

Looks like Melbourne's going to do a number on the Knights, so a pretty good Saturday for the Raiders.
WorkChoice
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Green Taipan wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:58 pm I think this is the first time this year we have played an expansive game. Ricky's usual game plan is the boring and predictable one -out up the middle. Hopefully, we build on this revelation!
Agreed, Green Taipan. That was what made me so happy. Use our strengths in Papa, CHN, Tapine offloads, then spread.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

radicalraider wrote: July 17, 2021, 8:01 pm
Botman wrote: July 17, 2021, 7:58 pm
Botman wrote:

So you all assume Croker won't be there next year. Hope Ricky is thinking the same.
No im saying what i'd do and regardless of Croker's situation, i wouldnt pick him
I do expect Croker to be here, i think if the club is going down the medical retirement path, there is a small chance they can get it done before 2022 kick off, but probably not.