2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Game Day

Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks
Saturday 17 July, 5:30pm
Robina Stadium
Gates open: 4:30pm
Tickets: Click here
TV coverage: Fox League Channel 502
Radio: ABC, Mix 106.3, 2CC
Weather: Sunny. Winds westerly 15 to 20 km/h becoming light early in the morning then becoming westerly 15 to 25 km/h in the morning. Chance of any rain: 5 per cent. Possible rainfall: 0 mm Min 12 Max 21

The Canberra Raiders won't be hosting the Sharks at Canberra Stadium on Saturday - after the NRL decided to move the Raiders and 11 other clubs to south east Queensland for the next month at least, due to Sydney's COVID outbreak. The Raiders will be among the teams at the Gold Coast hub - and this match will be staged at Robina Stadium.

Last round: 2021 Round 17. Canberra Raiders 30 - Manly Sea Eagles 16. The Canberra Raiders came with a plan and it worked. Both the Raiders and Sea Eagles were without some of their best players, due to State of Origin. The Raiders were missing Josh Papalii and Jack Wighton. The Sea Eagles were without their two main play makers - Tom Trbojevic and Daly Cherry-Evans. Trbojevic is the form player of the competition right now. He's almost turned Manly into a winning team, single-handed. And the Sea Eagles looked like a team missing their talisman. But the Raiders did their job.

More on Round 17: As I saw it

Team news: Canberra co-captain Elliott Whitehead (shoulder/facial cut) has been ruled out for another week, while Dunamis Lui (calf) will miss the next two to three weeks. Josh Papalii and Jack Wighton will back up from State of Origin duty and have been named to return to the starting team. Emre Guler retains his place as a starting prop, while Matt Frawley drops to the reserves list.

Sharks coach Josh Hannay has named the same top 17 that defeated the Warriors last week. Matt Moylan is still out with a a calf injury, with Braydon Trindall keeping his spot in the halves alongside Shaun Johnson. Will Chambers is unavailable, as he is in isolation after a trip to Victoria for the birth of his child. Royce Hunt (knee) has been named on the reserves list.

Late changes: The Raiders omitted Matt Frawley and Harley Smith-Shields from their squad of 21 on Friday evening, while the Sharks cut Billy Magoulias and Andrew Fifita. The Sharks have also decided to start Siosifa Talakai in the second row, with Briton Nikora dropping to the bench.

History: The Raiders have won 38 of 79 matches against the Cronulla Sharks, for a 48 per cent win rate. Canberra has won six of the past 10 clashes between the clubs - and the past five straight.

In 2019, the Raiders had a hard fought 22-20 win at Canberra Stadium in Round 14 - after leading 20-8 at half time. In Round 24, the Raiders won at Shark Park in golden point (15-14), with Aidan Sezer kicking three field goals. That spoiled the party for Paul Gallen's final home game for the Sharks.

Last year, a "Rookie Raiders" team defeated the Sharks, 38-28, at Jubilee Stadium, after coach Ricky Stuart rested a host of his stars in the final round of the regular season. The two teams met again in Week 1 of the finals, with a full strength Raiders winning 32-20 at Canberra Stadium. In Round 2 earlier this year, the Raiders produced an unconvincing, 12-10,win at Kogarah in very wet conditions. These two teams have never met on the Gold Coast.

2021 Rd 2 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2020 Finals Week 1 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

2020 Round 20 Canberra Raiders V Cronulla Sharks

Form: Raiders: LWLLW
Sharks: WWWLW

The Sharks won four straight, before losing to the Broncos in Round 16 (26-18) at Lang Park in Round 16. They won in golden point against the Dragons (13-12) in Round 11 - and by a 79th minute field goal against the Panthers (19-18) in Round 14. They also won by just two points against the Cowboys in Round 15 (26-24), withstanding a late charge. They head into this clash after a 20-12 win over the Warriors on Sunday.

The Raiders have won three of their past 12 games - two of them against the bottom two teams, the Bulldogs and Broncos.

Betting: The Sharks are $1.77 favourites, with the Raiders paying $2.05. The Raiders have 1.5 points start in the line betting. The Raiders' odds have shortened during the week.

Stat attack: The Raiders are just two competition points shy of the eighth placed Sharks - so winning this match is crucial for Canberra's finals hopes. There's not a lot of difference between the teams in attack, but the Sharks' defence is slightly better. Neither team is better than middle of the pack in both departments.

The Sharks rank in the top four teams for completions, total runs, total kicks and post contact metres. The Sharks are also first for missed tackles in the competition - while only the Bulldogs and Broncos have conceded more running metres than Cronulla. Sharks forward Toby Rudolf (first) and play maker Matt Moylan (third) are in the top three players for missed tackles in the competition. Raiders second rower Elliott Whitehead ranks fifth. The Raiders are third in the NRL for ineffective tackles - after being amongst the best teams for stopping offloads in the past two seasons.

2021 Season record: Raiders 6 and 10 (11th, -90)
Sharks 7 and 9 (8th, -44)

Attack: Raiders 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 12th on average tries scored
Sharks 20 points and 3 tries scored per match, ranked 13th on average tries scored

Defence: Raiders 25 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked 10th on fewest average tries conceded
Sharks 23 points and 4 tries conceded per match, ranked equal 8th on fewest average tries conceded

Possession: Raiders 48 per cent, Sharks 51 per cent

Completion rate: Raiders 77 per cent, Sharks 80 per cent

Running: Raiders 1569 running metres from 176 runs (12 dummy half runs), 163 kick return metres, 536 post contact metres per match
Sharks 1684 running metres from 185 runs (8 dummy half runs), 184 kick return metres, 572 post contact metres per match

Tackle breaks: Raiders 30, Sharks 31 per match

Line breaks: Raiders 4, Sharks 4 per match

Try assists: Raiders 3, Sharks 3 per match

Line break assists: Raiders 3, Sharks 3 per match

Offloads: Raiders 10, Sharks 9 per match

Kicking: Raiders 532 kicking metres from 20 kicks per match
Sharks 588 kicking metres from 22 kicks per match

Tackling: Raiders 352 made, 32 missed, 18 ineffective per match, 88 per cent tackle efficiency
Sharks 321 made, 36 missed, 15 ineffective per match, 86 per cent tackle efficiency

Running metres conceded: Raiders 1472, Sharks 1552 metres per match

Errors: Raiders 11, Sharks 10 per match

Handling errors: Raiders 8 Sharks 8

Penalties conceded: Raiders 5, Sharks 4 per match

Penalties awarded: Raiders 4, Sharks 4 per match

Set re-starts conceded: Raiders 4, Sharks 3 per match

Set re-starts awarded: Raiders 5, Sharks 3 per match

Key match-ups:

Xavier Savage and William Kennedy: Xavier Savage made his official debut last weekend against the Sea Eagles. He'd tasted first grade in the loss to the Dragons - when he was illegally used as an 18th man by the Raiders. He was pulled off the field after 11 minutes after the mistake was discovered. He put in a good performance against Manly, producing 105 running metres from 14 runs, 28 post contact metres and three kick defusals. He also did just enough to save a try, tackling Brad Parker as he was about to ground the ball in the corner. He was prepared to put his body on the line in both attack and defence. William Kennedy has been strong in attack this year, producing eight tries, nine try assists, 10 line breaks and 44 tackle breaks. This match-up goes to the Sharks... but I'll be keen to see what Savage can put together in his second outing.

Jack Wighton and Braydon Trindall: Jack Wighton's form in 2021 has been well down on last season, when he won Dally M Player of the Year award. But the Blues have stuck by him - and he'll be playing his first game at five eighth for New South Wales in Origin III this week. He'll be backing up in this game after just a few days. Braydon Trindall has just 15 NRL games to his name, after making his debut in Round 12 last year against the Broncos. He's made 10 appearances this year, all but two off the bench. He stepped in for Matt Moylan two weeks ago against Brisbane, after Matt Moylan was injured in the warm up. And with Moylan still out, he's kept his place. No doubt about who wins this match-up though - Jack Wighton.

Sam Williams and Shaun Johnson: With the release of George Williams, Sam Williams has stepped into the breach at halfback - and done a pretty good job in his six appearances. He's a good organiser and kicker, but, as Ricky Stuart admitted, he is targeted in defence. Shaun Johnson started the season on the sidelines due to an Achilles injury. But since his return, he's helped the Sharks find some winning form. He's a very good attacking player - and his numbers in attack have been very good in his eight appearances so far. Johnson's tackle efficiency (87 per cent) is better than Williams' (80 per cent). But Johnson has five try causes for 2021, Williams four.

Josh Hodgson and Blayke Brailey: Josh Hodgson's form has been a bit up and down this season. Coach Ricky Stuart planned to drop him to the bench after the loss to the Eels - before a calf injury intervened. He stood down as co-captain, and spent a few games on the sideline, before returning on the bench in Round 10. But he forced his way back into the starting team the next week. In the win over the Sea Eagles, he made way at dummy half for Tom Starling after 25 minutes, taking the role of a ball playing forward. That formula worked well for both players. Blayke Brailey took over the Sharks No. 9 jersey after the departure of his brother Jayden at the end of 2019. There was enough room at the one club for the two brothers, both hookers. He is still just 22 and is a great young talent. There is not much splitting the numbers for these two players overall in 2021.

Emre Guler and Aiden Tolman: Emre Guler produced his best game of the year in the win over the Sea Eagles last weekend. This week, he'll have a good battle with Aiden Tolman. His numbers shade Guler's overall so far this season, but if Guler plays like he did last week, he's a good chance of coming out on top in this match-up.

My tip: The numbers suggest that the Sharks have a slight advantage in this game - and with the Raiders losing their home ground advantage, the Sharks have firmed as favourites. The Raiders put in a strong effort against the Sea Eagles, and if they can back that up, they're certainly in with a chance. However, until the Raiders show some consistency in performances, it is difficult to tip them. Hopefully, they can prove me wrong again this week. Sharks by four.

What they're saying:

Raiders coach Ricky Stuart: "There have been some head-butts with a couple of players this year with myself. But that's me trying to create an edge, that's me trying to get that player to play his best football. That's not me personally attacking a player. The one thing I try so hard to do is build a relationship with my player. That's what I think I'm good at and I won't change that. Some days you might have a head-butt with your best mate. But you've got to be big enough to move on. It's not all the player's fault, I'm wrong too. You sit down and discuss and you move forward. It's a tough sport. It's a tough job playing in the NRL and coaching it. You've got to be able to handle self analysis. You've got to be able to handle criticism as a coach and as a player. And you move forward as a group. We're certainly not out of the woods. We need to back that game up."

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
8. Josh Papalii
9. Josh Hodgson
10. Emre Guler
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
16. Iosia Soliola
17. Ryan James

18. Matthew Timoko
19. Trey Mooney

Injury/Suspension

Elliott Whitehead, Shoulder (Rd 19)
Corey Horsburgh, Wrist (Rd 19-20)
Dunamis Lui, Calf (Rd 20-21)
Bailey Simonson, Toe (Rd 21-23)
Curtis Scott, Stood down (Indefinite)
Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Neck (Season)

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Connor Tracey
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Braydon Trindall
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
12. Teig Wilton
15.Siosfa Talakai
13. Toby Rudolf

11. Briton Nikora
14. Marwene Hiroti
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

19. Royce Hunt
21. Luke Metcalf

Injury/Suspension

Matt Moylan, Calf (Rd 19)
Franklin Pele, Foot (Rd 25)
Wade Graham, Knee (Indefinite)

Officials

Referee: Grant Atkins
Touch judges: Kasey Badger, Drew Oultram
Video referee: Henry Perenara

NRL teams: Click here

Match Hashtags: #NRL #WeareRaiders #NRLRaidersSharks
The Greenhouse Hashtags: #WearGreen2021 #FromAllAngles

Plus follow us on Twitter: @TheGHRaiders and Instagram: @TheGHRaiders
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: 2021 Rd 18 V Sharks: Game Day

Post by -PJ- »

#bleedgreen
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Sharks will have too many points
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Sam Williams and CHN lining up against Talakai should be interesting. It really shocks me that a defender as poor as Sam Williams is still getting a run. Not only his missed tackles/try causes, but also what he does to those around him. They over compensate to cover him and leave holes everywhere. I can't believe it is 2021 and we are still having to watch him be trampled over game after game.
Last edited by TongueFTW on July 17, 2021, 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

They look better on paper. It's funny how when you start losing games, you lose a couple of players... your team suddenly looks sht on paper, even though it's not *that* different to before
Rick
Steve Walters

Post by Rick »

TongueFTW wrote:Sam Williams and CHN lining up against Talakai should be interesting. It really shocks me that a defender as poor as Sam Williams is still getting a run. Not only his missed tackles/try causes, but also what he does to those around him. They over compensate to cover him and leave holes everywhere. I can't believe it is 2021 and we are still having to watch him be trampled over game after game.
To be fair to the club our long term halfback walked out mid season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I’m tipping we go surprisingly well today - the sleeping giant of the NRL will stir…
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

How the hell am I questioning the result of this game?

Must be the kicking game that will make the difference. Again.

That Sharks lineup is next level crap, yet here we are...

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Papa off the bench?
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2021, 11:20 am How the hell am I questioning the result of this game?

Its very windy , kicking game is going to be difficult
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

LimeGreenMachine wrote: July 17, 2021, 2:07 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 17, 2021, 11:20 am How the hell am I questioning the result of this game?

Its very windy , kicking game is going to be difficult
Very windy but the stadium is well sheltered. High kicks might swirl a bit.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

If we are running with the wind I would like to see us not make a single attempt at a 40/20 like the St George game.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

Welcome to our coverage of the Round 18 NRL clash between the Canberra Raiders and Cronulla Sharks at Robina Stadium on the Gold Coast. Here are the latest squads... we'll have the final squads after 4:30pm in this post.

Canberra Raiders

1. Xavier Savage
2. Semi Valemei
3. Jarrod Croker
4. Sebastian Kris
5. Jordan Rapana
6. Jack Wighton
7. Sam Williams
10. Emre Guler
9. Josh Hodgson
16. Iosia Soliola
11. Corey Harawira-Naera
12. Hudson Young
13. Ryan Sutton

8. Josh Papalii
14. Tom Starling
15. Joseph Tapine
17. Ryan James

18. Matthew Timoko

Cronulla Sharks

1. Will Kennedy
2. Sione Katoa
3. Connor Tracey
4. Jesse Ramien
5. Ronaldo Mulitalo
6. Braydon Trindall
7. Shaun Johnson
8. Aiden Tolman
9. Blayke Brailey
10. Aaron Woods
12. Teig Wilton
15.Siosfa Talakai
13. Toby Rudolf

11. Briton Nikora
14. Marwene Hiroti
16. Jack Williams
17. Braden Hamlin-Uele

19. Royce Hunt
The Greenhouse score update service
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Would like to see Timoko on the bench in place of Sia.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

1992 wrote:If we are running with the wind I would like to see us not make a single attempt at a 40/20 like the St George game.
Don’t worry, we won’t if Sam Williams is playing
radicalraider
John Ferguson

Post by radicalraider »

Hopefully cows lose.. that'll be 3 losses to trams on edge of 8.. we must capitalise on sharks
Kryptonite
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Terry Reagan

Post by Kryptonite »

Can we please give it for Savage, it’s all good, it’s all good when you score in my hood!
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

Sigh, Wighton doesn't make this side nor the halves better, sit him at fullback....

Sent from my SM-N981B using Tapatalk

One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Motiv8dan wrote:Sigh, Wighton doesn't make this side nor the halves better, sit him at fullback....

My sigh is directed more at 6 props in the 17.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
Motiv8dan
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Bradley Clyde

Post by Motiv8dan »

gergreg wrote:
Motiv8dan wrote:Sigh, Wighton doesn't make this side nor the halves better, sit him at fullback....

I think we are going to play one out all night down the middle again, no backline movement, just punch up the middle, it worked last week??

One day the Raiders and the Cats win the same year and make my head explode!!
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Yeah, punch it up through the middle - including the backs.

Savage needs to sniff around that middle third because I want to see this boy in full flight.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Geez Ricky really overdoing the “really close squad that all get on really well” line in the pre-game.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Motiv8dan wrote: July 17, 2021, 4:58 pm
gergreg wrote:

I think we are going to play one out all night down the middle again, no backline movement, just punch up the middle, it worked last week??

It only worked because we had halves getting repeat sets. This week we have Jack.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Is Papa starting?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I'm looking forward to watching Savage play again today. Also hopeful that Jack proves his critics wrong after a tough Origin game
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

1992 wrote: July 17, 2021, 5:20 pm Is Papa starting?
Off the bench, never mind.

Kris fts.

Come on Jack, do something that doesn't suck.
Johno
David Furner

Post by Johno »

Come on the green machine, lets get behind them eh!

Mr Toxic will be here soon
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Tapine and Papa coming off the bench is noiice.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

1992 wrote:Yeah, punch it up through the middle - including the backs.

Savage needs to sniff around that middle third because I want to see this boy in full flight.
Absolutely.

If this is the way we are doing this, Savage needs to stick to that middle third and sniff for offloads around Papa, Taps and CHN.

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Something special coming up here I sense!
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

How about you stop looking at yourselves on the screen in the sheds boys whilst running drills and focus, yeah ya hair looks good Corey Harawira-Naera.
This place is woke.
Jason Croker

Post by 1992 »

Sam Williams laying down the law and telling the boys to defend well.
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The Raiders have warmed up inside, presumably the aim has been to preserve the surface. The Sharks warmed up on the sidelines. Sharks are out first... the Raiders in a circle inside and are making the Sharks wait. The crowd is doing an impromptu Viking Clap or two. Here comes Canberra!
The Greenhouse
Don Furner

Post by The Greenhouse »

The crowd has been restricted to the western side, small but enthusiastic Green Machine crowd. Sharks kick off, we are underway!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Talakai can’t have big minutes in him - looks hugely out of shape