Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell released

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Canberra Milk »

Did O'Donnell just get released? That's what Raiders instagram says although it's not 100% clear it's permanent (maybe 99% sure)

Back to their home state... Why are people so attached to their home state, get "home sick" etc. I don't relate at all. Would love to leave my home crappy state
greeneyed
Don Furner

Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell released

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders release Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell

Canberra Raiders squad members Kai O’Donnell and Adam Cook have been officially released by the club, to return to their home state of Queensland.

With 30 players permitted to travel to Queensland as part of the revised Apollo bubble and no NSW Cup fixtures for the foreseeable future, both players have been granted early releases from their contracts.

Read more: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... d-tracker/
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Re: Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell released

Post by Canberra Milk »

What we wanted: Curtis Scott released

What we got:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I thought O'Donnell looked OK in glimpses that I saw him in FG, eg vs Roosters at SCG last year. Solid, no mistakes, no missed tackles that I could remember.

Cook I haven't seen much of, and I didn't watch the last round Cronulla game live last year.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

O'Donnell looked good to me and that he can backup as hooker adds value, especially in Vlandysball. He'll be an NRL player imo
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by -TW- »

I'd say it's more cause there's no NSW Cup, so they can go back and play QCup

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Canberra Milk wrote:O'Donnell looked good to me and that he can backup as hooker adds value, especially in Vlandysball. He'll be an NRL player imo
Nah looks back up material or never play NRL again kind of player to me.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Kai O'Donnell on the development player list, only contracted for 2021. Adam Cook contracted to end 2021, with a club option for 2022. Looks like both were told no 2022 contract was in prospect.
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

I think what has happened here is pretty simple.

1) they weren’t going to be offered contracts for 2022 and beyond.

2) they aren’t part of the bubble group that has gone to Qld.

3) I imagine the NSW Cup squad that is left in Canberra can still train and play the local comp. (unless the NSWRL have put in rules because the Sydney players can’t do that). However that is part time, Cook and O’Donnell are full time. They have no one left to train with during the day.

4) NSW Cup may or may not resume. I am not sure success in that comp is really our focus regardless.

5) right at the moment the border between ACT and Qld is open. They can go home, get a job and play Qld Cup or local footy if they sign with someone before the end of the month.

6) I imagine they get paid out their 2021 contracts. They have don’t nothing to suggest they shouldn’t.

7) they wore the jersey in a NRL match(es).

They will be Forever Green and we thank them for their service.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Bay53 wrote: July 16, 2021, 11:28 am I think what has happened here is pretty simple.

1) they weren’t going to be offered contracts for 2022 and beyond.

2) they aren’t part of the bubble group that has gone to Qld.

3) I imagine the NSW Cup squad that is left in Canberra can still train and play the local comp. (unless the NSWRL have put in rules because the Sydney players can’t do that). However that is part time, Cook and O’Donnell are full time. They have no one left to train with during the day.

4) NSW Cup may or may not resume. I am not sure success in that comp is really our focus regardless.

5) right at the moment the border between ACT and Qld is open. They can go home, get a job and play Qld Cup or local footy if they sign with someone before the end of the month.

6) I imagine they get paid out their 2021 contracts. They have don’t nothing to suggest they shouldn’t.

7) they wore the jersey in a NRL match(es).

They will be Forever Green and we thank them for their service.
Good summary. If the NSW Cup was still running and there was no relocation of NRL squads they would still be in the system. They've basically been given an early exit considering they were unlikely to play another game this year.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

It's a shame that once again the NSW Cup is indefinitely cancelled

At least the QLD Cup is still going
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Basically leaves us with two genuine edge players in the entire squad, with one of those looking less and less an edge under Vlandysball.

Would be nice if the club divested a bit from its excessive middle depth and instead diverted it to the edge.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

If Cook was in the pecking order behind Aeken he must be a battler. I’d give the old codger that drove the van up to the GC a run ahead of Aeken!
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

I'm a bit disappointed in O'Donnell leaving, he looked a prospect maybe just a tad small.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Green goggles are on he lads. They were never going to be better than depth. Bay 53 did a good summation, but clearly we're going to be here next yr.

Kai was seemingly playing more 9 than anything else this yr. He barely lasted 20mins of FG last yr when were were super depleted. Mooney and Rushton are clearly thought of as ahead of him.

Cook was behind CNK, Aekins, Simmo and Savage. 4th string never plays.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Agree Matt. We are familiar with smaller forwards having great aerobic fitness and playing long minutes. We did not see that with Kai. As always with Rugby League, players are getting bigger, faster and in lots of cases fitter. Unless they can hit like a sledge hammer, smaller forwards are found out close to the line. Not sure with Cook. I know he had injury which would have limited his progress.

Hopefully there is a wave of players to be recruited which will be a better fit for season 22.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Cook was never going to make it. O'Donnell had something to him, but was also never going to be anything more than emergency depth.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Was lovely to see Jack put a call out to them after the game and wish them well
He also said we lost a trainer too
Vaccinated
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Ricky Stuart said in the press conference tonight that Nigel Ashley-Jones is leaving the club, he has an offer in Welsh rugby union. He's spent nine years with the Raiders.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Probably not a bad thing, has served a fair tenure.

Need some fresh vision in that area

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Thanks for the times fellas

Cook is a career back up, but not for us. I also thought KOD had a little something to offer, but we're probably not losing a real contributor there

Two-Dads... he had some really good moments, i think he brought a level of prefessionalism to the club in that space that was sorely needed at the time. But i think this year he missed the mark badly so, on we march.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2021, 8:27 pm Ricky Stuart said in the press conference tonight that Nigel Ashley-Jones is leaving the club, he has an offer in Welsh rugby union. He's spent nine years with the Raiders.
Thanks GE. I did not see the press conference. No real surprise that Nigel Ashley-Jones is looking for other opportunities. The Raiders have been under done this year for fitness and who ever comes in next will be given the task of producing the 'toughest off season ever' for the Raiders to get us ready for 22. ;)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Billy Walker wrote: July 16, 2021, 6:38 pm If Cook was in the pecking order behind Aeken he must be a battler. I’d give the old codger that drove the van up to the GC a run ahead of Aeken!
Aekins seems destined not to score an NRL try, 19 matches and no meat pies. Didn't he even manage to get over a couple of times for us but couldn't get the ball down?
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 18, 2021, 7:29 am
Billy Walker wrote: July 16, 2021, 6:38 pm If Cook was in the pecking order behind Aeken he must be a battler. I’d give the old codger that drove the van up to the GC a run ahead of Aeken!
Aekins seems destined not to score an NRL try, 19 matches and no meat pies. Didn't he even manage to get over a couple of times for us but couldn't get the ball down?
Roger I have invested a fair amount of money into bottles of scotch to help me successfully erase all memory of Aekins so I couldn’t tell you. I just recall he was pretty bog average!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

greeneyed wrote: July 17, 2021, 8:27 pm Ricky Stuart said in the press conference tonight that Nigel Ashley-Jones is leaving the club, he has an offer in Welsh rugby union. He's spent nine years with the Raiders.
Reading between the lines, I think that's us saying thanks for your service, but we're needing to go in another direction.

He's largely done a good job I think, only to be caught out by the requirements this season. 2019 we seemed to be in incredible shape, being able to belt the opposition from first to last minute.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I'd be surprised if the off season training approach was solely determined by NAJ. We heard a lot over the off season how the players had had a tough year with COVID restrictions etc and the season running late, particularly for Origin players. Most of the Raiders established players didn't start pre season training until after the Christmas/New Year break. I'd be interested how that compared to other clubs, who seem to have got the fitness of their squads right for Vlandysball, like the Storm and Panthers. Of course, types of training also critical (eg reports here about the Panthers shifted the balance away from weight training).
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Panthers did a lot of HIIT. The COVID situation last year and the season running late is no excuse. Other teams like Storm, Souths, Penrith, Easts were affected by Origin (and in case of Storm and Penrith - the GF) more than us. You cannot blame it on one person, it's also the head coaches' input, but i have to say I'm glad NAJ is leaving. He stuffed up in the 2017 pre season as well.
ALX22
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by ALX22 »

Both have been signed by the Mackay Cutters.

Adam Cook, Kai O’Donnell sign with Mackay Cutters after Canberra Raiders release

Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell have made the trip from Canberra to Mackay after being released by the Raiders. Cutters coach Michael Crawley said he was ecstatic to secure the North Queensland natives.

“Both are North Queensland boys; Kai is from Airlie Beach and Adam is from Charters Towers, so they were keen to come back home if they had to leave their NRL club,” Crawley said. “It happened in two days, and the boys were packed and in their car, but that’s how fluid football is these days.”

Read more: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sp ... 791e444186
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bob Turnington will get them firing

Edrick The Entertainer
Makaveli
Bradley Clyde

Post by Makaveli »

Perennial cellar dwellers Mackay.. fair enough
Bay53
Steve Walters

Post by Bay53 »

ALX22 wrote: July 19, 2021, 9:25 pm Both have been signed by the Mackay Cutters.

Adam Cook, Kai O’Donnell sign with Mackay Cutters after Canberra Raiders release

Adam Cook and Kai O’Donnell have made the trip from Canberra to Mackay after being released by the Raiders. Cutters coach Michael Crawley said he was ecstatic to secure the North Queensland natives.

“Both are North Queensland boys; Kai is from Airlie Beach and Adam is from Charters Towers, so they were keen to come back home if they had to leave their NRL club,” Crawley said. “It happened in two days, and the boys were packed and in their car, but that’s how fluid football is these days.”

Both played on the weekend. Cook at 7 and O’Donnell at 11. Cutters had a win over PNG Hunters.

I saw Wynnum v Northern Pride. Luke Bateman and Daine Spencer were playing for Wynnum. Neither did much as Wynnum who were on top were smashed.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Bay53 wrote:
ALX22 wrote: July 19, 2021, 9:25 pm Both have been signed by the Mackay Cutters.

Both played on the weekend. Cook at 7 and O’Donnell at 11. Cutters had a win over PNG Hunters.

I saw Wynnum v Northern Pride. Luke Bateman and Daine Spencer were playing for Wynnum. Neither did much as Wynnum who were on top were smashed.
did you notice Grant Anderson for the pride? centre or fullback
scored first try and kicked goals first half

Edrick The Entertainer