Elliott Whitehead re-signed to end 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Re: Sam Williams agrees to one year extension, Elliott Whitehead set to agree to two

Post by Wiki Special »

I don't mind the Whitehead extension if he moves to a ball playing lock role going forward. If we were to get a Dylan Brown (early release) and lose Hodgo next season that middle link which has worked lately would become Whitehead.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Re: Sam Williams agrees to one year extension, Elliott Whitehead set to agree to two

Post by Dusty »

Our pack next year should look like this:
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler
17. Horsburgh/ James/ Lui

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Dusty wrote: July 18, 2021, 4:24 pm Our pack next year should look like this:
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler

So we are currently a battling side hopeful of scraping into the 8. Where do you see the improvement in that pack next year that will lift us into contention for a flag?
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

We are too slow and too old......

Sam Williams, my god, he wouldn’t get a gig in George tooke shield for the Cooma stallions......I’ve said it before and I will say it again, there would be a lot of park footballers out there, that have talent and toughness, that would be thinking what have I done wrong, if that is the standard????
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

i just watched the Brisbane v Wests game. Sam Williams, Croft, and Brooks would be the worst halfbacks in the comp.
exrefhollywood
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: thurling

Post by exrefhollywood »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 18, 2021, 7:04 pm i just watched the Brisbane v Wests game. Sam Williams, Croft, and Brooks would be the worst halfbacks in the comp.
Hallelujah......someone who watches the game...... :thumbsup
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

exrefhollywood wrote: July 18, 2021, 7:29 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 18, 2021, 7:04 pm i just watched the Brisbane v Wests game. Sam Williams, Croft, and Brooks would be the worst halfbacks in the comp.
Hallelujah......someone who watches the game...... :thumbsup
To be fair to Sammy, he's a back up halfback. Croft is the worst in the comp. Cameron Smith and Bellamy were not wrong in their judgment in axing him before the finals in 2019 and replacing him with Jahome Hughes. The rest is history. I don't think Seibold is the best judge of players.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

This is all a bit sad - we are not on the right path with some of these signings
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Sammy will be the back up half - depending on the price, debatable whether we should have given him one year. Ryan James still has one year at $400,000 - slow and ineffective with the new rules, Croker 3 more years at $600,000 is not FG standard (discussed at length so will not repeat here), Scott is signed to 2023 on at least $350,000 and two more years of his slow and ineffective play will make us cry, not FG standard. I thought Whitehead had signed to 2022 and he is at least on $500,000. He is not as effective in both defence and attack and I would not give him a two year contract on his current form.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Billy Walker wrote:
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler

So we are currently a battling side hopeful of scraping into the 8. Where do you see the improvement in that pack next year that will lift us into contention for a flag?
We’re not competing with the Sydney Swans so we have no chance for the flag…

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

TO be fair he won us that game against the sharks on the weekend, that pass to Young was pretty awesome and I’m pretty sure none of the other options we have on our books could have done that.
Having said that the guy doesn’t look match fit, watching him try and defend is painful BUT we aren’t paying him Luke brooks or Brody Croft money so he’s probably good value compared to what’s on the market atm
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Riaan wrote: July 18, 2021, 10:04 pm
TO be fair he won us that game against the sharks on the weekend, that pass to Young was pretty awesome and I’m pretty sure none of the other options we have on our books could have done that.
Having said that the guy doesn’t look match fit, watching him try and defend is painful BUT we aren’t paying him Luke brooks or Brody Croft money so he’s probably good value compared to what’s on the market atm
That was a good pass and he got CHN more involved in the game as well. Disagree that he won us the game though. He missed the Sharks no. 12 (Wilton) badly and was only saved by CHN holding him up. Also there was the St George game when he had a ridiculous short pass to CHN instead of going long when it was all set up and we had the men lined up.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

No, go and watch the game again. The Hudson Young try broke the Sharks back, they were done after that. Hence Williams won us the game. I'm not a great fan of his, but lets give credit where its due.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Billy Walker wrote: July 18, 2021, 4:44 pm
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler

since when do you win flags in rugby league.

premierships mate, premierships.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

papabear wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:04 pm
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler

Flags, premierships, cups, shields, trophies, jellybeans- call it what you will but all that team is winning is a wooden spoon!
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Elliott Whitehead agrees to two year extension

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders lock Elliott Whitehead to two year extension

The Canberra Raiders have agreed to terms for a two-year extension with co-captain Elliott Whitehead that should ensure the England international sees out his NRL career in lime green. They're also in talks to extend Harley Smith-Shields and intend to open talks with Jordan Rapana.

"We will talk to Jordy. He knows we want to keep him. We'll go through that in the next couple of weeks," CEO Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

I think this is good news overall. But with the emergence of others, I expect his role to change
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

Happy for the Raiders to keep all 3 players mentioned there, EW, HSS and Rapa. Two experienced campaigners and one up and comer.

Still no half back news though.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

papabear wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:04 pm
8. Papalii
10. Sutton
11. CHN
12. Young
13. Whitehead

15. Tapine
16. Guler

Comps
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

There is no signing, especially not a halfback, who can catapult us to top 4 / top 6. I have to say the club is doing the right thing by playing the long game here, just consolidate what we've got for the time being
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Official

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Elliott Whitehead re-signs with the Canberra Raiders to end 2024

The Raiders have received a huge boost ahead of their round 20 match against the Newcastle Knights, with Captain Elliott Whitehead signing a new deal with the club.

Whitehead was already on contract with the Raiders until the end of 2022 but has extended his deal for a further two seasons, which sees him remain a Raider until the end of 2024.

Since arriving at the club at the beginning of the 2021 season, the England international has played an incredible 138 matches for the club and has been one of the Raiders most consistent and best performers.

Whitehead said he’s happy to have his future with the club secured and his focus was now on making sure the Raiders could make it into this year’s finals series.

“I’ve loved every minute of playing for the Raiders and living in Canberra, so it was an easy decision for me and my partner to stay with the club,” Whitehead said. “I’ve also had the opportunity to be named as Captain this year which is a huge honour.

“It’s great to have the deal done, but my focus is on helping to get the team into the finals for the third year in a row. We’ve got a great group of players here and we know we can continue our recent form and be there at the end of the year.”

Raiders CEO Don Furner said Whitehead’s re-signing gives the club some much needed experience in the side and a player who always performs when he takes the field.

“Elliott has been year in year out one of our most consistent performers and has developed into a really strong leader in the club,” Furner said. “It’s great news for the club and our members that Elliott is staying with us for the next three seasons.”

Canberra Raiders media

VIDEO: Best of Roaming Elliott: https://www.raiders.com.au/news/2021/07 ... g-elliott/
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

honestly, it depends on the money, if he is on reasonable dollars ie sub 500K for those seasons its probably a good signing and use of the cap. Above that money and its a bad signing.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Great deal for Elliot's point of view to get 2 more years added onto the back end, just when he's shown a few signs of slowing down. Right when he's become captain too

Agree with Papa, I hope it's on a lower cap value, surely not another Croker style stinker of a deal from the clubs point of view I hope.

At least with Elliot he can do the ball playing lock role if we need or he's big and tough enough to play as a skillful prop in the last year if needed.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Not a fan of this one - the game is getting quicker and quicker and we are assembling Dad’s Army.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Happy for Smelly, love the player. He's been such a consistantly great player for us over the years.
Not super wild about the contract length, but it's very hard to know without the financial details... Whitehead at age 34 in 2023 might not be a player we really on the roster any longer.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: July 28, 2021, 6:47 pm Happy for Smelly, love the player. He's been such a consistantly great player for us over the years.
Not super wild about the contract length, but it's very hard to know without the financial details... Whitehead at age 34 in 2023 might not be a player we really on the roster any longer.
maybe / maybe not, if it was me, I would have shifted him to the middle and waited how he went at the start of next season... but if you are paying 400k, and he is playing a lot of minutes in the middle its not the worst use of the cap.

Also he might have been getting other offers and maybe the club thought at that money its worth retaining him.

I know what you mean though.

If the club plans on keeping him on the edge, it is a bad / very bad signing.
BJ
Steve Walters

Re: OFFICIAL: Elliott Whitehead re-signed to end 2024

Post by BJ »

I reckon he’ll probably move into the middle anyway. Especially if Sia, Lui and Ryan James finish up. I’m a fan of some experience amongst the youngsters.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: July 30, 2021, 3:44 pm I reckon he’ll probably move into the middle anyway. Especially if Sia, Lui and Ryan James finish up. I’m a fan of some experience amongst the youngsters.
I think at some point he will. Ricky has usually seen when time is up for his edges and sent them that way- Papa and Sia noteably.

Whitehead is a proper club pro, seen him doing extras in the gym with Hodgo or his own many a time. He doesn't have any bad lifetyle issues or chronic knees or the like to end up like a crock like Watmough so even as a middle he'd provide some value. It's not quite the same as a Croker who just needs to live on speed and agility out wide.
Robert the Bruce
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Albert Fulavai

OFFICIAL: Elliott Whitehead re-signed to end 2024

Post by Robert the Bruce »

I like to think people like Smelly are kept around to keep the pathway to England open and healthy, as a mentor of sorts to the kids like Rushton, and also to help with further recruitment. Batman and Willy’s less than savoury exits really haven’t helped that situation so I think it’s important Smelly stays and stays for a while.

Boomercm
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Joe Picker

Post by Boomercm »

Robert the Bruce wrote: July 30, 2021, 5:24 pm I like to think people like Smelly are kept around to keep the pathway to England open and healthy, as a mentor of sorts to the kids like Rushton, and also to help with further recruitment. Batman and Willy’s less than savoury exits really haven’t helped that situation so I think it’s important Smelly stays and stays for a while.

This post added value for me when reading the thread. I had not considered this. Thanks
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

This has all the signs of being a Croker-esque mistake. Was there any pressing need to extend him?? Kinda feels like Ricky is leaning on these guys to win back the dressing room, clinging to the few loyal supporters to save himself.... he can't afford to drop them for their onfield form
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: August 1, 2021, 4:34 pm This has all the signs of being a Croker-esque mistake. Was there any pressing need to extend him?? Kinda feels like Ricky is leaning on these guys to win back the dressing room, clinging to the few loyal supporters to save himself.... he can't afford to drop them for their onfield form
I think you are on the money here. It’s a bad signing. Rapana has been very good the last 2 weeks and pretty solid the rest of the year. If he was 22 I’d say sign him long term, but when footballers get a 3 in front of their age you tread carefully. Dale Finnucan to the sharks for 3 years is another dud deal
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Boomercm wrote: July 30, 2021, 9:21 pm
Robert the Bruce wrote: July 30, 2021, 5:24 pm I like to think people like Smelly are kept around to keep the pathway to England open and healthy, as a mentor of sorts to the kids like Rushton, and also to help with further recruitment. Batman and Willy’s less than savoury exits really haven’t helped that situation so I think it’s important Smelly stays and stays for a while.

This post added value for me when reading the thread. I had not considered this. Thanks
I think when you start picking players for their off-field traits, don't be surprised when the on-field starts to suffer...

That's what we saw today
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

'Aussie' Elliott Whitehead calls Canberra home

Elliott Whitehead has just re-signed with the Green Machine - until the end of the 2024 NRL season - to celebrate becoming an Australian resident.

"I finally got it after six years of being here. I could've got it after two years, but I was always stubborn and said I'd go home," Whitehead said."I really like the Canberra lifestyle, it really suits me and my partner, so we'll probably stay here after my career."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239