Elliott Whitehead re-signed to end 2024

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Elliott Whitehead re-signed to end 2024

Post by greeneyed »

The Australian's Brent Read reports on Triple M that Elliott Whitehead is close to agreeing a two year extension with the Raiders. He's contracted to the end of next season already. The deal is well on the way, according to Read and could be announced in the next week or two.

AUDIO: Ready's mail: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/ready- ... ign-178564
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Elliott Whitehead set to agree two year extension with Raiders

Post by bonehead »

I love him but that seems a bit long

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep not a good call. Elliot has been such a good player for such a long time but age has caught up, the game has changed and his form has dipped. 2 more years is not the right call.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

We’re getting too loyal… I’d have given him one. Love him but his age is starting to show.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m happy he’s happy.

Let’s see how this pans out.

2yrs but I feel Smelly will know and won’t dick the club around..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Silliness
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Taking individuals and personalities out of the discussion, we have some good examples of what a successful 2021 NRL team looks like in the Panthers, the Storm, and the NSW Blues. Profile the ages of the players, the work rates, and importantly the speed of the players.

If you’re seeking to be successful but you are recruiting or extending players that fall outside those parameters then you are on the wrong path.

Elliot, Rapa, Sia and Croker - not fitting the 2021 success blueprint for mine.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

That's another 3 years of Elliot... why? He is clearly slowing down now. At least wait until next year to make a call.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Two years is too long. I don't think Whitehead's form this year met the standards of a top team. Even last year he was missing tackles and his effectiveness is diminished. I pointed it out but he's sacred like some other players on the GH forum.
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

We all love Elliot but geez there's a bloke from Melbourne called Finucane looking for a gig!!!!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Croker tied up until 34. Papalii until 33. Whitehead now until 35. All on big money. Wouldn't surprise me if Hodgson is eventually extended too.

Really not sure about this strategy.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

afgtnk wrote: July 17, 2021, 4:52 pm Croker tied up until 34. Papalii until 33. Whitehead now until 35. All on big money. Wouldn't surprise me if Hodgson is eventually extended too.

Crazy isn't it, particularly how the game is being played

Agree with Billy above - look at the blueprint for success with Penrith, Melbourne, and NSW. Souths didn't want to extend Reynolds for more than one year. Tamou not resigned for Penrith. You can say it's salary cap related but we could use Croker's and Whitehead's money on more effective players
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Apparently our squad isn't old.

Shouldn't be a problem. Sounds great.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sometimes you gotta zig when everyone else is zagging

Let them get younger, and faster. We're getting older and slower, but wiser and more responsible with discressionary spending.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: July 17, 2021, 4:52 pm Croker tied up until 34. Papalii until 33. Whitehead now until 35. All on big money. Wouldn't surprise me if Hodgson is eventually extended too.

On the upside, apparently we are positive talks with Pain Away arthritis cream about a long term sponsorship.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

This fits the Raiders MO perfectly.

A player is ageing and showing signs of decline, with no contract expiry imminent.

Quick, extend him.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders re-signing spree continues

The Canberra Times reports that the Canberra Raiders have opened talks with co-captain Elliott Whitehead on a two year extension (to end 2024). They Raiders also want to extend Tom Starling for another year (to end 2023); Harley Smith-Shields for two years (to end 2023); and Trey Mooney for three years (to end 2024, promoting him to the top 30). The Raiders also want to re-sign off contract player Albert Hopoate. Raiders halfback Sam Williams has agreed to a one-year extension (to end 2022). The Raiders will not re-sign Caleb Aekins.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

CHN and Young been good tonight and showing us what we've been missing with Whitehead at second-row, unfortunately
gangrenous
Laurie Daley

Post by gangrenous »

afgtnk wrote:Really not sure about this strategy.
Really? I’m sure…
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

I wonder if the $$ is reduced because the term is longer.

Makes sense for both parties.
Raider of d Lost Ark
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Raider of d Lost Ark »

2 year extension for Whitehead…… crazy.

Williams??? Prefer to keep Frawley.

Unbelievable…… and they wonder why we’re struggling
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

On form, neither Croker nor Whitehead make the top 13. It's one thing to play them anyway, it's another to sign them on hefty contracts

We do need leadership and experience but in 1-2 positions at most. Wighton starting to show himself as a culture leader anyway, and we know Sammy is, Hodgson
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Boom bitches. I rule this roost.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Hard to comment without knowing price. I guess Ricky wants to keep a bunch of 'old heads' around to bring this group of youngsters through?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

gergreg wrote: July 17, 2021, 8:51 pm Hard to comment without knowing price. I guess Ricky wants to keep a bunch of 'old heads' around to bring this group of youngsters through?
That would be my guess. Whitehead's role is going to change during that contract.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Sam Williams agrees to one year extension, Elliott Whitehead set to agree to two

Post by Botman »

Sam Williams had better be a hell of a coach
We’ve invested a lot of time and money into that role for him
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Re: Sam Williams agrees to one year extension, Elliott Whitehead set to agree to two

Post by -TW- »

Caleb Aekins being binned, that's a shame.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:CHN and Young been good tonight and showing us what we've been missing with Whitehead at second-row, unfortunately
Yeah, bagging Whitehead has been a taboo subject for a while, but I think he was well past his best towards the end of last season.

3 more years is absolute madness.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

zim wrote:
gergreg wrote: July 17, 2021, 8:51 pm Hard to comment without knowing price. I guess Ricky wants to keep a bunch of 'old heads' around to bring this group of youngsters through?
That would be my guess. Whitehead's role is going to change during that contract.
That's the only thing I can put some of these signings down to. Ricky has his eyes on the next gen coming through - some of those 18 to 20 year olds - and he's keeping some of our (arguably fading) senior players to manage the squad transition. We'd all like to see all of these young guys given a crack but none of us want to be the **** Broncos.

Edit... and that also means that Ricky will be here for it... lock in another 5 years.

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Whitehead will be an NRL quality player in 2022 and 2023, barring the undoreseen.

He's still in the edge mix. He's _just_ on the lateral mobility/athleticism cusp for an edge now with the faster game and him this year physically.

Could probably squeeze out next year on an edge too- if we go that way. Or if not, he still has the mobility and skills to be a potentially good lock option. So I don't see a lot of risk. We keep one of our best, most committed, most skilful players- with no major injury or fitness issues mind you- and worst case is he becomes a really skillful 4th prop (he has the size and toughness) option in his final year. Best case we keep a banker of an edge or a good modern prop skill set.

Sammy- meh but we need a reggies team.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

You might be right BnM, but is that what we are striving for - players that make the mix and still pass as NRL players. I think we need to set our sights a little higher.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: July 17, 2021, 11:36 pm You might be right BnM, but is that what we are striving for - players that make the mix and still pass as NRL players. I think we need to set our sights a little higher.
I'm hoping Ricky will start to use him at lock, which should suit his skill set and the new game making some more room for mobile and creative locks. I think he'll be really good there- he's a really good player.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

gergreg wrote: July 17, 2021, 10:14 pm
zim wrote:
That's the only thing I can put some of these signings down to. Ricky has his eyes on the next gen coming through - some of those 18 to 20 year olds - and he's keeping some of our (arguably fading) senior players to manage the squad transition. We'd all like to see all of these young guys given a crack but none of us want to be the **** Broncos.

Edit... and that also means that Ricky will be here for it... lock in another 5 years.

Just hope he keeps the right ones. Rapana, Soliola, Whitehead, Hodgson are still playing reasonable footy without being at their peak

We can give them a bit of leeway because of their experience but once they become a passenger like Darius Boyd did they have to go, I think he really set the Broncos back
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Canberra Milk wrote:
zim wrote:

Just hope he keeps the right ones. Rapana, Soliola, Whitehead, Hodgson are still playing reasonable footy without being at their peak

We can give them a bit of leeway because of their experience but once they become a passenger like Darius Boyd did they have to go, I think he really set the Broncos back
I think so far they are getting it right. Croker is the 'on-the-fence' one. I'd really like to see Timoko/HSS in the 17 and getting a little bit of game time each week. We're carrying 3 props on the bench and every week at least one of them is getting less than 20 minutes game time.... but then again I did bang on, at the start of the year, about adopting a rotation policy and it's kind of what is happening. Still we do need a back on the bench to cover for injury or just to ease into NRL.

zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

zim wrote:

As far as young second rowers go we've only really got Rushton coming through. Arguably Caleb Esera is a second rower but if you've seen the size of the guy I think there's going to have to be a lot of training and commitment or a few years match play for him to be mobile enough to play second row in first grade. I think he's going to end up a more TPJ style front rower without the nonsense.
Soliola and Lui run out this year and James moves on next year. That's 3 spots in the middle coming up for Mooney and Esera. Not to mention the usual injuries that have players stepping up.