Xavier Savage is the future!

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

papabear
Steve Walters

Xavier Savage is the future!

Post by papabear »

Injuries and coaching permitting - this guy has got some game.

That was the most exciting raiders game in ages, basically purely due to the excitement of whenever savage was on the ball, great player for kids to look up to as well. You don't have to be massive so long as you can run the 100 in 10.5.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Re: Xavier savage is the future!

Post by bonehead »

papabear wrote:Injuries and coaching permitting - this guy has got some game.

That was the most exciting raiders game in ages, basically purely due to the excitement of whenever savage was on the ball, great player for kids to look up to as well. You don't have to be massive so long as you can run the 100 in 10.5.
he's not little either, he's listed somewhere as 6'1, 90kg.
So yeah just footwork, blinding speed and a bit of size.

What still does my head in is his lack of game time against senior/open grade

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Re: Xavier savage is the future!

Post by dubby »

Reminds me a lot of Milford when he was a fullback for us.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: Xavier Savage is the future!

Post by Botman »

It’s fun to feel super excited about some young kid again
You can get excitement for timoko, Kris, hors, young and any of these guys
But it’s funny how noticeably different the “special” talents are

A lot of special talents don’t amount to much so he’s by no means a sure thing but he’s definitely a special talent
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:07 am It’s fun to feel super excited about some young kid again

A lot of special talents don’t amount to much so he’s by no means a sure thing but he’s definitely a special talent
you can see the ceiling - for me hudson young and kris have potential to be very very good first graders potentially play origin etc.

Xavier Savage is next level - with the right develop behind him, and the right team / coaching he could take us to the golden land of premiership glory.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Botman wrote: July 19, 2021, 11:07 am It’s fun to feel super excited about some young kid again

Yep. He's got the tools to elevate himself towards the higher echelons. What you don't want is him becoming the next Bevan French.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

He’s a goodun! It’s been said elsewhere but it is a little frustrating that a kid like this only gets an early shot because of a series of injuries and other options not working out. Sam Walker in the same boat. Clearly they are up to it. Yes I know you don’t want to risk breaking your shiny new thing by exposing them to the big time too early- but these kids are keen and a lot more resilient than we give them credit. I hope Ricky gives early opportunity to a few more going forward.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

He's got something French never had while in the NRL. Bollocks.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Billy Walker wrote:He’s a goodun! It’s been said elsewhere but it is a little frustrating that a kid like this only gets an early shot because of a series of injuries and other options not working out. Sam Walker in the same boat. Clearly they are up to it. Yes I know you don’t want to risk breaking your shiny new thing by exposing them to the big time too early- but these kids are keen and a lot more resilient than we give them credit. I hope Ricky gives early opportunity to a few more going forward.
There’s also NRL mandated restrictions on these second tier juniors like Savage or age restrictions like Sualli playing first grade.

Unless you can get an exemption of course.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

BJ wrote: July 19, 2021, 12:03 pm
Billy Walker wrote:He’s a goodun! It’s been said elsewhere but it is a little frustrating that a kid like this only gets an early shot because of a series of injuries and other options not working out. Sam Walker in the same boat. Clearly they are up to it. Yes I know you don’t want to risk breaking your shiny new thing by exposing them to the big time too early- but these kids are keen and a lot more resilient than we give them credit. I hope Ricky gives early opportunity to a few more going forward.
There’s also NRL mandated restrictions on these second tier juniors like Savage or age restrictions like Sualli playing first grade.

Unless you can get an exemption of course.
Yeah not always practical or possible but for instance someone like Schneider - would have loved to see him get a good solid 40mins or so at least. Timoko has killed it at every opportunity.

I imagine you want stability in your team and it’s hard to get high performance if everyone is wondering if they will be picked the next week, but where opportunities do come up I hope we are less reluctant to see what the young fella can do moving forward.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

Xav Sav!!!!
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Thanks papa. Im relieved that others saw what I saw last week. I jumped on the forum on sat expecting this but instead read dribble about how won't be a good full back because he cannot pass.

Frankly I cannot wait to see him play on Thursday (provided he is fit)

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

Brent Read from the Australian was on Triple M in Sydney this morning. Said that while Savage signed an extension with the Raiders, as recently as a few weeks prior to that he was being "offered around the NRL" to other clubs (including Melbourne and Brisbane). He wasn't quite clear if it was the Raiders or his management that was doing that. Brisbane makes some sense with being close to home for him, but certainly strange to hear that.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

TongueFTW wrote: July 19, 2021, 1:19 pm Brent Read from the Australian was on Triple M in Sydney this morning. Said that while Savage signed an extension with the Raiders, as recently as a few weeks prior to that he was being "offered around the NRL" to other clubs (including Melbourne and Brisbane). He wasn't quite clear if it was the Raiders or his management that was doing that. Brisbane makes some sense with being close to home for him, but certainly strange to hear that.
Clearly those clubs don’t share the concerns some GH members have about his passing game.

That’s terrible news if it’s true!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

TongueFTW wrote: July 19, 2021, 1:19 pm Brent Read from the Australian was on Triple M in Sydney this morning. Said that while Savage signed an extension with the Raiders, as recently as a few weeks prior to that he was being "offered around the NRL" to other clubs (including Melbourne and Brisbane). He wasn't quite clear if it was the Raiders or his management that was doing that. Brisbane makes some sense with being close to home for him, but certainly strange to hear that.
Raiders are high on him, so surely it's management.

I wanna see him develop a pass, BUT, Papenhuyzen came into that Storm side as a "home run hitter". Get the offload, go the distance. That's what he did off Papa the other night, and was stalking CHN too. If he keeps doing that, we are in business, and he will hold a spot, and potentially that spot long term.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Should be a great player for the Broncos or Roosters in 2-3 years.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:04 pm
This. A manager checking a player's market value is standard practice. It would be negligent if he didn't check the player's market value.
Floydd
Tom Learoyd-Lahrs
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by Floydd »

Azza wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:39 pm Should be a great player for the Broncos or Roosters in 2-3 years.
Maybe in years gone by this could have happened with the Broncos because it's where he is from, but now days the appeal is not there that once was. The Chooks only buy guys that are already on $1mil then tell the auditor that they are paying them $600k so that counts him out :)
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

Azza wrote: July 19, 2021, 2:39 pm Should be a great player for the Broncos or Roosters in 2-3 years.
:lol: yep I'd say broncos.
This place is woke.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Let's "bulk" him up and turn him into a fat slug.
WorkChoice
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

Question wrote:
Image yep I'd say broncos.
I'd say that the odds of anyone being a great player for the Broncos in the next 2-3 years are thankfully low
Yap
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Dave Leave Nothing In The Tank Shillington

Post by Yap »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 19, 2021, 6:11 pm
Question wrote:
I'd say that the odds of anyone being a great player for the Broncos in the next 2-3 years are thankfully low
Unless your name is Payne Haas
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

I wanna see him develop a pass, BUT, Papenhuyzen came into that Storm side as a "home run hitter". Get the offload, go the distance. That's what he did off Papa the other night, and was stalking CHN too. If he keeps doing that, we are in business, and he will hold a spot, and potentially that spot long term.
Going back a bit Slater and Brett Stewart started the same way. It's almost absurd people are talking about his passing game when he's barely played NSW Cup, let alone FG.

The wraps on here are getting out of control the other way too. But I can understand people looking for something to be excited about this season.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Yap wrote:
Dr Zaius wrote: July 19, 2021, 6:11 pm
Question wrote:
Unless your name is Payne Haas
He's a good player but I think he is overrated. Broncos are going to ruin him by playing long minutes. He makes some really bad defensive decisions when tired.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

No one is suggesting he is going to be the next Billy Slater or Greg Inglis only that he played awesome on the weekend. The way I read Read's comments are that his manager was shopping him around to get the best deal possible for him and other clubs weren't interested at the price he was being offered at so there may not have been too much competition when we resigned him.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

LP Raider wrote:Let's "bulk" him up and turn him into a fat slug.
Worked for Big Mac Milford

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Well if he does kick on and become a star, there'll be a battle to keep him as there always is. Part of the game these days, I'm trying to manage expectations twofold: 1) that he's only one game in, and 2) if he kicks on, there's no guarantee it will be at the Raiders

Still, him being with us gives us pole position. He said the Raiders are his second family and Wighton seems to have a great relationship with him, so you never know, maybe just maybe he won't be a homesick Milford
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Well if Stuart actually does what he should, suddenly our future in the outside backs looks a lot more promising. Just a shame about the half position.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Azza wrote:Should be a great player for the Broncos or Roosters in 2-3 years.
While we go and replace him with Nathan Gardner
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

His pass to Starling to get to Wighton looked alright to me. I will take that every week.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Very promising start to his fg career but not let’s pump his tyres too early..

There’s been plenty of raw talent have breakout games early on and XS has been very very good.

But I remember Cody Ramsay’s debut..they were going to erect a statue at Kogarah that day he pants us..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Done for the rest of the season unfortunately.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
SeeBee101
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by SeeBee101 »

This is terrible news. This would have been a good time to see if he could be our long term fullback.

With CNK back next year, he will never get another chance :-(

Could damage his career for good.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

SeeBee101 wrote: July 20, 2021, 2:25 pm This is terrible news. This would have been a good time to see if he could be our long term fullback.

With CNK back next year, he will never get another chance :-(

Could damage his career for good.
A little bit OTT don't you think. :doubt:
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

VERY dramatic. haha