Eels 13+
11%

Total votes: 9

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: 2021 Rd 19 V Eels: Game Day

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: July 23, 2021, 6:54 am I know circumstances have forced the hand of selection, but how refreshing is it to see young blokes out there having a go and older blokes like Rapa and Taps giving them something positive to look at along side them. Still elated with the effort which was missing in the earlier rounds as the second half fade outs happened week after week. None of that the past few weeks. Great to see.
The effort and aggression levels from Tapine are probably the difference between us getting towelled up in the forwards and us getting parity/on top in the last few weeks. Sutton is a trier and damn consistent but when Tapine turns it on it's another level.

All the forwards were good tonight- Sia wound back the clock! Young was aggressive and everywhere. Starling again gangbusters once his forwards actually go forward. Another big one from CHN. But Tapine led much of that early onslaught and when Papa came off.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

Mrs Tapine was right the whole time..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

As weird as it sounds… I recon the bubble and travel restrictions have had a positive impact on the team. I’m not sure the team would produce something like that in Canberra.
Member #6381
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
Lui_Bon wrote: July 22, 2021, 11:46 pm I'm stoked! Been in and out of Queensland today, beat the lockdown (travelling from NSW to NSW via two other **** states /territories thanks airlines) and saw us win against the odds!

I really hate to point this out but we are winning since Croker came back.
I haven't been attacked by a leopard since Croker came back either...
Phew, well thankfully he's back. I can't begin to imagine how inconvenient those leopard attacks must have been while Croker was out.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Shoving it in your face since 2017
IBG
Gary Belcher
Favourite Player: Jordan Rapana

Post by IBG »

Geez if you go back and watch the final try saving tackle from Rapana, how the hell did the top part of his leg not detach from the bottom half. His leg just bends in a completely unnatural and gruesome way.

Saw him on the team song video with an ice pack on his knee, I hope he's ok, we need him.
Mullins_y2k
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Mullins_y2k »

So proud of the team. Such a good game!! 😆
RichmondRaider
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Jordy Raps

Post by RichmondRaider »

afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2021, 11:44 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2021, 11:40 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2021, 11:35 pm
Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2021, 10:56 pm
afgtnk wrote: July 22, 2021, 9:47 pm

Bull we don't

We've been hanging on for dear life this entire half
That's true. Sam Williams did everything he possibly could to lose us that game with the terrible field goal attempt.

See what I did there? Exactly the sort of thing you do every time you come into this forum.

It's easy to be a negative ****. Keep taking that easy path champion, it suits you.
The try that he set up broke the deadlock, put us on the front foot, and ultimately proved crucial in the victory. Field goal attempt in that position was 100% the right call.

Pick the ball out of your net there son - that's a quality own goal.
As per usual you completely miss the point.

It's like conversing with a lamp post.
Yeah.... nah. Don't think so.

That you would state something like that, whether it's stated as a serious point or to take the piss out of someone, ultimately reveals that it's a belief you hold from what you've observed. That you've seemingly only used it facetiously does not alter the point.

As per usual, you've been outsmarted. Again :lol:
You guys should get your own thread to stick your massive burns
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

Having just watched the Eels 2nd try on the NRL app. There is a clear call from the lines person that says “offside” you can hear in the audio. The only defence here is that Brown was passive. But no way that you can keep moving forward and be within a meter of the guy taking the bomb.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

kona_dream wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:56 am Having just watched the Eels 2nd try on the NRL app. There is a clear call from the lines person that says “offside” you can hear in the audio. The only defence here is that Brown was passive. But no way that you can keep moving forward and be within a meter of the guy taking the bomb.
He also impedes Young when the tap back occurs.
No way he can be considered passive... i suspect Annsley will be telling us the got that wrong come Monday. Thankfully it didnt cost us
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

kona_dream wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:56 am Having just watched the Eels 2nd try on the NRL app. There is a clear call from the lines person that says “offside” you can hear in the audio. The only defence here is that Brown was passive. But no way that you can keep moving forward and be within a meter of the guy taking the bomb.
He chased the kick and ended up right in front of the contest. Just being in the immediate vicinity means he wasn't passive. Bottom line is Perenara completely missed it. He even said in the live audio kick chase is all onside. If he cannot see something so obvious he has no place being in the bunker.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

IBG wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:47 am Geez if you go back and watch the final try saving tackle from Rapana, how the hell did the top part of his leg not detach from the bottom half. His leg just bends in a completely unnatural and gruesome way.

Saw him on the team song video with an ice pack on his knee, I hope he's ok, we need him.
He was rubbing one of his knees earlier in the game, so not sure if it’s related to that match saving miracle he pulled off.

A try, 256 metres, 16 tackle busts, that soccer kick to prevent the 40/20, the kick return from that where he busted 2 tackles (and busted Blake Ferguson) and finally the match winning play at the end.... what a legend.
kiwi raider
Steve Walters

Post by kiwi raider »

yeh raiders wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:05 am
IBG wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:47 am Geez if you go back and watch the final try saving tackle from Rapana, how the hell did the top part of his leg not detach from the bottom half. His leg just bends in a completely unnatural and gruesome way.

He was rubbing one of his knees earlier in the game, so not sure if it’s related to that match saving miracle he pulled off.

A try, 256 metres, 16 tackle busts, that soccer kick to prevent the 40/20, the kick return from that where he busted 2 tackles (and busted Blake Ferguson) and finally the match winning play at the end.... what a legend.
Sign him up! we don't have a proven first grade winger in next years squad and Jordy obviously still has some footy left in him, at 31 its not like he's ancient either. we could also be missing a huge amount of leaders/senior players next year with the likes of Sia, Lui, Hodgson, Crokers futures uncertain and this guy is the heart and sole of the place, give him another year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:03 am
No way he can be considered passive... i suspect Annsley will be telling us the got that wrong come Monday. Thankfully it didnt cost us
He’ll either be telling us that it is correct/too close to call or that it was off side, but that it is much closer than everyone was thinking. The latter is because the point at which the kicker’s foot contacts the ball is the point that the players must be behind. Brown is still off side clearly… but I’ve seen erroneous images on Facebook drawing lines in the wrong spot to suggest he was metres off side.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

I went to the game, had a great time. I was pretty annoyed that they awarded Parramattas second try, and may have given the parra playerw a serve when we won.

That defence is what we have been missing for most of the year. It was a gritty win.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah I couldn’t believe they awarded the try seeing that live…
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

yeh raiders wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:05 am

The Jordan Rapana game....arguably his magnum opus.
Up The Milk
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Raider_Boy wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:13 am As weird as it sounds… I recon the bubble and travel restrictions have had a positive impact on the team. I’m not sure the team would produce something like that in Canberra.
I don't reckon it is weird at all.

For years we have actually played better away than at home. It has been a long time since Canberra has been a legitimate "fortress" in anything other than name.

There might be something, perhaps in the Canberra winter, which affects players' morale, even slightly.

The club even saw enough of something there to initial the "Camp David" Eaglehawk routines before home games.

It might be something the club finds worthwhile exploring again - maybe to have a "circuit-breaker" team camp down at the South Coast or something for a couple weeks in the dead of winter. The team camp and change of environment might just freshen the team up that 5% which can make all the difference.

I don't think it is a coincidence that as soon as we left Canberra 3 weeks ago we look like a different team.
Up The Milk
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Mickey_Raider wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:42 am
There might be something, perhaps in the Canberra winter, which affects players' morale, even slightly.
You can’t be serious.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

It's a fact that teams from cold places never win anything. It's why the Winter Olympics is so crap.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:55 am
You can’t be serious.
I reckon it's more about being in a comfort zone for home games. Couple that with opposition teams no longer fearing a trip to Canberra. Modern game is far more professional, weather is generally quite good despite being cold and they play on an excellent surface. Combine all the above and we've lost our edge at home.

On the flip side our away trips seem to galvanise the team.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

GreenMachine wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:22 am
Yeah I couldn’t believe they awarded the try seeing that live…
If they go with "to close to call" given that it was called offside on the field and gone up as no try it needs to remain no try.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Mickey_Raider »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:55 am
You can’t be serious.
Maybe not. Just asking the question.

Is a coastal Camp David in the middle of winter as a refresh a stupid idea?
Up The Milk
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

T_R wrote:It's a fact that teams from cold places never win anything. It's why the Winter Olympics is so crap.

And why Australia and Jamaica dominate that particular meet.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 23, 2021, 12:21 am It was a great game tonight. The tension was similar to 2016 Prelim Final, 2019 GF, and last year's game v Roosters at the SCG. I really thought we were dead when that Gutherson ball went to Sivo, and then I was worried about a penalty try for a shoulder charge. Well done Rapana and HSS for stopping him. Shocking Perenara bunker decision to allow the Sivo try, I thought Dylan Brown was offside. We have already been dudded with the Nth Qld match when Justin O'Neill scored off that kick but looked offside. Will be watching Annelsey's explanation on Monday.
I gave up on bothering with those a while ago, they haven't brought any improvement in decision making.

The thing I can't understand is that I generally agree with the conclusion the commentators come to, and have been for the last 20 years. How is it that the commentators seem to be more able to reason with each other and come up with a correct conclusion than those employed as subject matter experts?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:45 am
Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 23, 2021, 12:21 am It was a great game tonight. The tension was similar to 2016 Prelim Final, 2019 GF, and last year's game v Roosters at the SCG. I really thought we were dead when that Gutherson ball went to Sivo, and then I was worried about a penalty try for a shoulder charge. Well done Rapana and HSS for stopping him. Shocking Perenara bunker decision to allow the Sivo try, I thought Dylan Brown was offside. We have already been dudded with the Nth Qld match when Justin O'Neill scored off that kick but looked offside. Will be watching Annelsey's explanation on Monday.
I gave up on bothering with those a while ago, they haven't brought any improvement in decision making.

The thing I can't understand is that I generally agree with the conclusion the commentators come to, and have been for the last 20 years. How is it that the commentators seem to be more able to reason with each other and come up with a correct conclusion than those employed as subject matter experts?
Bingo. It's not the first time Perenara has made a crucial incorrect decision against us this season. The pass for the Warriors try in Rd 3 (when he was referee) must have been 1-2 metres forward. One would have thought the linesman saying offside through the mic put Perenara on notice for the Sivo try. It was so obvious - a Refereeing 101 situation that if they had the video replay as an exam, and potential refs had to rule try or no try, that all potential refs should pass.
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: July 23, 2021, 10:15 am
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:45 am

Bingo. It's not the first time Perenara has made a crucial incorrect decision against us this season. The pass for the Warriors try in Rd 3 (when he was referee) must have been 1-2 metres forward. One would have thought the linesman saying offside through the mic put Perenara on notice for the Sivo try. It was so obvious - a Refereeing 101 situation that if they had the video replay as an exam, and potential refs had to rule try or no try, that all potential refs should pass.
2 shockingly wrong calls in the one year that cost 2,potentially 4,competition points.
When does it become bias rather than incompetence?
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Seiffert82 wrote: July 22, 2021, 11:49 pm What the **** are you on about?

I'm pointing out how easy it is for you to be a negative ****. Setting up an agenda and constantly making **** comments about players. Simple as that.

Outsmarted again. **** me. What is wrong with you?

Ooof. Back of the net. You hate to see it. Blah blah blah. Get your own schtick.
Just do what I did and block the miserable prick. It will improve your forum experience considerably.
radicalraider
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Daley

Post by radicalraider »

Watching the replay now. One of our best ever wins.
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

Raider_Boy wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:13 am As weird as it sounds… I recon the bubble and travel restrictions have had a positive impact on the team. I’m not sure the team would produce something like that in Canberra.
I don't reckon it is weird at all.

For years we have actually played better away than at home. It has been a long time since Canberra has been a legitimate "fortress" in anything other than name.

The club even saw enough of something there to initial the "Camp David" Eaglehawk routines before home games.

It might be something the club finds worthwhile exploring again - maybe to have a "circuit-breaker" team camp down at the South Coast or something for a couple weeks in the dead of winter. The team camp and change of environment might just freshen the team up that 5% which can make all the difference.

I don't think it is a coincidence that as soon as we left Canberra 3 weeks ago we look like a different team.
"borrowing" the viking clap has put a curse on our home ground.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Watching Gutho cry at the end was very very pleasing.

We (not us, the players) mongrelled them.

It was a delicious victory.
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

-PJ- wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:25 am Watching Gutho cry at the end was very very pleasing.

We (not us, the players) mongrelled them.

It was a delicious victory.
"King" Gutho sure showed himself to be the pretender to the throne last night.
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No charges, just a lot of sooky Parra fans.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

-TW- wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:33 am No charges, just a lot of sooky Parra fans.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
I dont know what their whinging about.

The only controversy was a try allowed to them that should not have been awarded.

Henry did his very best to help them.

It would have been a travesty to lose that last night. The boys outplayed the opposition all night and thoroughly deserve their win.

Even Rapas try saver at the end was fine..

It wasn’t high, he didn’t kick out, and no swinging arm..it was a beauty.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Be interesting whether Annesley chooses to address the offside on the try. No way there was clear video evidence to overturn the on field decision.

We’ve had a few clearly wrong calls go against us this season that haven’t got a mention in his Monday wrap. Often not games we were a chance of winning.

He seems to focus heavily on calls and decisions highlighted in the Channel 9 coverage or later in the Sydney papers.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 12:23 am My heart was beating fast for most of the second half. A long time since I was that nervous! Used to happen every game when I was younger, but I became inured to defeat. Superb win.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I felt much the same. The way the team played got me emotionally invested, was extremely proud of them. The linespeed the whole night was phenomenal. Just hope they keep going.

Don't really care what afghagatgastg says.