Raiders fan in America with questions

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Declan55
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Raiders fan in America with questions

Post by Declan55 »

I’m an American fan from New York who fell in love with the team over the quarantine period when we had no American sports to watch. I follow the team closely, but don’t understand a few things. One question i have. On every list of NRL Standings I can find, it says the Raiders have 8 wins, but 18 premiership points. If each win is worth 2 (which I understand to be true) how have they got 18 points from 8 wins?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Raiders fan in America with questions

Post by greeneyed »

Declan55 wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:19 am I’m an American fan from New York who fell in love with the team over the quarantine period when we had no American sports to watch. I follow the team closely, but don’t understand a few things. One question i have. On every list of NRL Standings I can find, it says the Raiders have 8 wins, but 18 premiership points. If each win is worth 2 (which I understand to be true) how have they got 18 points from 8 wins?
:welcome:

Every team gets two points for the bye. They could just as easily give no points for the bye... but the idea is that it gives the teams with the bye the best standing on the ladder they could have had, had they played and won. Once every team has had a bye, it doesn't really matter.

What are the other questions? :)
Declan55
Gerry De La Cruz
Favourite Player: Joe Tapine

Post by Declan55 »

Ah thank you. That is sorta bizarre to me but I like the system.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Yeah it makes the bye a positive rather than a negative, in that you're keeping up with the field. I prefer it that way.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Declan55 wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:41 am Ah thank you. That is sorta bizarre to me but I like the system.
in the spirit of rugby league you beat the other team because they didnt show up.

glad you found rugby league though - its a beautiful brutal game with an awesome history.

If you ever find youself bored and want to see the raiders on a run have a look at the good stuff:-
- 1989 GF
- 2016 - except the finals
- 2019 - except the last 20 minutes of the GF - tbh i havent re watched the gf its too painful
- 2020 semi v chooks
- 2 more gf wins in 90 and 94 (though 94 was a blow out)

Sometimes the tragedy can be enjoyable
- 2005 i think it was in the finals verse the warriors - hence the golden boogs that were held around here.
- the last 20 mins of the 2019 gf
- 1993 i think it was when stuart got injured

Also watch brett mullins highlights - guy made me a raiders fan v the broncos in the early 90s.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Declan55 wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:19 am I’m an American fan from New York who fell in love with the team over the quarantine period when we had no American sports to watch. I follow the team closely, but don’t understand a few things. One question i have. On every list of NRL Standings I can find, it says the Raiders have 8 wins, but 18 premiership points. If each win is worth 2 (which I understand to be true) how have they got 18 points from 8 wins?
The history of that i believe was many years ago they used to have teams having byes right up until the last round of competition, where as now they do it a lot more like your american football, where they cluster the bye weeks

But they didnt want teams with a bye in the final week to be penalised by not being able to "win and get in" to the play offs, so instead of making it 0 points, they made it 2... and for whatever reason it's been kept that way since.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

greeneyed wrote:
:welcome:

Every team gets two points for the bye. They could just as easily give no points for the bye... but the idea is that it gives the teams with the bye the best standing on the ladder they could have had, had they played and won. Once every team has had a bye, it doesn't really matter.

What are the other questions? :)
It doesn't matter now the byes are mid season, it was only really a factor for the team in round 26 if they were only just in the 8.

Wouldn't mind if they scrapped bye points tbh

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

papabear wrote: July 23, 2021, 10:11 am
Declan55 wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:41 am Ah thank you. That is sorta bizarre to me but I like the system.
in the spirit of rugby league you beat the other team because they didnt show up.

glad you found rugby league though - its a beautiful brutal game with an awesome history.

If you ever find youself bored and want to see the raiders on a run have a look at the good stuff:-
- 1989 GF
- 2016 - except the finals
- 2019 - except the last 20 minutes of the GF - tbh i havent re watched the gf its too painful
- 2020 semi v chooks
- 2 more gf wins in 90 and 94 (though 94 was a blow out)

Sometimes the tragedy can be enjoyable
- 2005 i think it was in the finals verse the warriors - hence the golden boogs that were held around here.
- the last 20 mins of the 2019 gf
- 1993 i think it was when stuart got injured

Also watch brett mullins highlights - guy made me a raiders fan v the broncos in the early 90s.
that's a good catalogue of games identified by papabear. I would add the following:

- 1994 game Newcastle v Canberra - Brett Mullins in full flight and scores 4 tries. Also 1994 major semi final game Canterbury v Canberra - fast forward to scrum move in the first half - Mullins in full flight and scores untouched
- although we did not win in the 1991 GF, it's still worth watching for the passing of Ricky Stuart (30 metre right to left passes) and the team attacking right to left and then left to right, with a few passes culminating in Brad Clyde running onto the ball to set up Matthew Wood
- actually 1991 Canberra finals series games against Manly and Norths were very good.
- 1987 Final vs Easts, and minor semi final vs Souths
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Add 1991 Manly v Canberra at Brookvale Oval as well for a good watch - we had to win that match to get into the semis and it was the second last match of the regular season

All of the above matches should be available on youtube
raiderskater
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Croker, Cotric, Sezer

Post by raiderskater »

Some more particular favourites:

- 2016 vs Tigers - the 60-6 Leipana massacre. Absolutely awesome.
- 2019 vs Tigers at Bankwest Stadium - held a team to nil for the third time that season
- 2019 vs Storm - THAT Round 22 match - after which I booked a hotel room in Sydney for the night of the grand final, because I knew, I knew...
- 2019 Preliminary Final vs Souths
- 2020 vs Roosters at the SCG...the game they said was impossible to win!
And to all the people who doubted me, hello to them as well. - Mark Webber, Raiders Ballboy and Unluckiest F1 Driver Ever

I'm attacking in the right way, instead of just...attacking in the general direction. - Max Aaron (also eerily apropos for the Green Machine)
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Adding to the catalogue of favourites with more recent matches:

- 2014 - versus Melbourne Storm - Paul "BBQ" Vaughan scores in last minute to level it up
-2016 match versus Melbourne Storm at GIO - try in first set of the match by Joey off Blake Austin line break
-2016 last round match v West Tigers at Leichhardt (the Joey pass to Rapa was special)

I really like our play in the period 1988-1994 - sweeping backline movements with pace, side to side, 20-30 m spiral passes, great use of wingers, very attractive football.

2016 was also very attractive, attacking, unpredictable football
rayden83
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Rapana

Post by rayden83 »

Just out of curiosity why did you choose the Raiders? If there’s ever a team capable of letting down its fans it’s the Raiders. That’s why we are colloquially known as the Faders, for ability to establish match winning leads and blow it in the final 10-20 minutes. This isn’t just a recent phenomenon, it’s happened throughout our entire existence, but especially in the last 20 years. There are even rumours of an African witch doctor casting a hex, possibly because for something our federal government did long ago.

Anyway congratulations on your brave decision. It irks me when people choose to go for the team that wins all the time, it proves that you are a genuine fan. Are you able to watch the games?
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

They get 2 points per bye because we are a nation of cheating bastards, if the cheats are caught they end up on zero at the end of the year.

The league doesn't want a **** team on the same points as a cheating team, hence why the 2 points per bye.

Go Seahawks
WorkChoice
reptar
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by reptar »

LP Raider wrote:
They get 2 points per bye because we are a nation of cheating bastards, if the cheats are caught they end up on zero at the end of the year.

The league doesn't want a **** team on the same points as a cheating team, hence why the 2 points per bye.

Go Seahawks
Another hawks supporter!
Gina Riley: Oh, come on, John. That’s a bit old hat, the corrupt IOC delegate.
John Clarke: Old hat? Gina, in the scientific world when they see that something is happening again and again and again, repeatedly, they don’t call it old hat. They call it a pattern.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

reptar wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:01 pm
LP Raider wrote:

Go Seahawks
Another hawks supporter!
:clap:

Hopefully our American friend is as smart as us.
Last edited by LP Raider on July 23, 2021, 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WorkChoice
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

raiderskater wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:30 am Some more particular favourites:

- 2016 vs Tigers - the 60-6 Leipana massacre. Absolutely awesome.
- 2019 vs Tigers at Bankwest Stadium - held a team to nil for the third time that season
- 2019 vs Storm - THAT Round 22 match - after which I booked a hotel room in Sydney for the night of the grand final, because I knew, I knew...
- 2019 Preliminary Final vs Souths
- 2020 vs Roosters at the SCG...the game they said was impossible to win!
A good list that is not so heavily weighted toward the late 80s, early 90s heyday.
MrPosh
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Whitehead

Post by MrPosh »

Do you think it's right picking out the good stuff for a new fan.

All you're going to do is raise their expectations, which will make it he inevitable crushing disappointments worse.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

MrPosh wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:53 pm Do you think it's right picking out the good stuff for a new fan.

All you're going to do is raise their expectations, which will make it he inevitable crushing disappointments worse.
This is a real raiders fan right here
I concur

2019, 1987, 1991 GF's are a must watch
The Boogs semi final is fun. Knights 72 point game is a ripper.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Matt Orford highlights.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Botman wrote: July 23, 2021, 10:02 pm
MrPosh wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:53 pm Do you think it's right picking out the good stuff for a new fan.

This is a real raiders fan right here
I concur

2019, 1987, 1991 GF's are a must watch
The Boogs semi final is fun. Knights 72 point game is a ripper.
As a Vikings fan since about 1972, all I can say is... Gary Anderson
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I hope Declan55 is feeling welcomed by now!
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:41 pm I hope Declan55 is feeling welcomed by now!
There's only 1 way to learn about being a Raiders fan GE.
1st, watch the glory days.
2nd, watch some of the past 2yrs.
3rdly, watch some 1 off blinders across the last 25-30yrs.
And lastly, get back to reality of wk in wk out disappointment.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: July 24, 2021, 3:02 pm
greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:41 pm I hope Declan55 is feeling welcomed by now!
There's only 1 way to learn about being a Raiders fan GE.
1st, watch the glory days.
2nd, watch some of the past 2yrs.
3rdly, watch some 1 off blinders across the last 25-30yrs.
And lastly, get back to reality of wk in wk out disappointment.
How about coming out to Bruce in -4 degrees weather to watch your team lose their 5th straight home match? That'll do it.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart

Post by LP Raider »

I don't think he know's what to think of us, might have converting him into a Roosters supporter.
WorkChoice
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

It's not easy being green, but once the Raiders touch you there's no going back.

Being a musician (struggling), there's actually a few connections to New York for me. All revolving around Doom Metal (huge fanboi of Type O Negative and Silvertomb, Canberra's own Witchskull recorded in Brooklyn as well).

Welcome.