Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos interested in Ryan James and Dunamis Lui

After offloading Matt Lodge and Tevita Pangai Jnr, the Brisbane Broncos are now hunting experienced, cheaper options in the middle. Football manager Ben Ikin has confirmed Canberra veteran Ryan James 'ticks a lot of boxes', while fellow Raider Dunamis Lui also shapes as another potential target.

Canberra would consider letting James out of his 2022 contract given their own glut of middle forwards. Lui meanwhile remains in the Raiders plans with a one-year deal in the works for the Queensland Origin prop, but the club can understand the appeal of a potential return to his hometown after more than a decade of NRL.

Read more: https://www.nrl.com/news/2021/07/23/bro ... ake-shape/
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Brisbane Broncos linked to Ryan James and Dunamis Lui

Post by -PJ- »

I’d like Nami to stay.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

So the James signing turned into a bit of a fizzer aye.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

They'd be good cheapies for them.
LP Raider
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Master Bateman

Post by LP Raider »

Wow, this is the Broncos grand plan.
WorkChoice
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

I like James but if he wants to move back home I have no issue

I do think Lui is on the decline and if he can get a longer pay day at the Broncs he should go too
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I like Dunamis, but I don’t think he or James are priority retention targets. We need a generational change.
Bloody_Burnham
Terry Campese
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Bloody_Burnham »

It is pretty clear that James is on the outer (he has been disappointing other than his first game). Lui has been a great club man but if the Broncos offer more then he should be moved on too.

With Sia retiring as well there will definitely be a generational shift in the middle and we will need to go to market to sign a couple of younger replacements.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

We’ve got to create room for our own young players coming through… otherwise we lose them. We’ve got some outstanding forward prospects inside the club.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:39 pm We’ve got to create room for our own young players coming through… otherwise we lose them. We’ve got some outstanding forward prospects inside the club.
Mooney and Esera? Any other we should keep an eye on?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Jayden Clarkson is the other outstanding prospect. Leo Thompson, Clay Webb and Sila Titiuti are a few other good prospects. I liked the look of Logan Lewis and Noah Saddler from the SG Ball team too.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Azza wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:07 pm So the James signing turned into a bit of a fizzer aye.
The game passed him by. He trots down the field like he's Troy Thompson, I think laterally he'd struggle to pick up a $100 note one metre either side of him without doing a Glen Turner defensive u-turn. Seems like a lovely bloke though.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Sounds like a good situation for both players and our club.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

I can see why Ikin/Broncos would be interested. In fact both these deals sound like win/wins. Though losing Nami would have to be cleared by Papa first.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Wouldn’t Lui and James be linked to the Broncos rather than the Broncos being linked to them? :?
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Brisbane Broncos interested in Ryan James and Dunamis Lui

Post by greeneyed »

I like the thinking on our Facebook page…

PLAYER SWAP TIGERS STYLE!

How about we give you Ryan James and Dunamis Lui and you give us Payne Haas?
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

They can take them. Namis has been a great clubman whose time is starting to come to an end, and James has probably been a mistake signing at this point. Assuming Sia's moving on too, we'd need to bring Mooney on and possibly shift Whitehead to lock.

Really hoping we can sign another decent, starting quality edge player by the start of next season. CHN is now showing how the threat of one can really add strings to your attack.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 23, 2021, 9:23 pm
Azza wrote: July 23, 2021, 7:07 pm So the James signing turned into a bit of a fizzer aye.
The game passed him by. He trots down the field like he's Troy Thompson, I think laterally he'd struggle to pick up a $100 note one metre either side of him without doing a Glen Turner defensive u-turn. Seems like a lovely bloke though.
Troy SURRENDAH Thompson.

Loved his weekly write ups though, funny bloke.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

greeneyed wrote: July 24, 2021, 12:15 am I like the thinking on our Facebook page…

PLAYER SWAP TIGERS STYLE!

How about we give you Ryan James and Dunamis Lui and you give us Payne Haas?
That is a bit of a lopsided deal GE! But if you were to swap Mr Scott for Mr Haas that would be far more even. They’d be giving us a lot of Payne, and we’d be giving them a lot of pain!

Get it done Donny!
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: July 24, 2021, 1:52 am They can take them. Namis has been a great clubman whose time is starting to come to an end, and James has probably been a mistake signing at this point. Assuming Sia's moving on too, we'd need to bring Mooney on and possibly shift Whitehead to lock.

Really hoping we can sign another decent, starting quality edge player by the start of next season. CHN is now showing how the threat of one can really add strings to your attack.
I’m not sure the new game suits Havilli’s style too well either and he’s too good (likely expensive) as a third string 9. Free up the space, get the next Starling coming through and give Siva a run at firsts at another club.
Dr Zaius
Mal Meninga

Post by Dr Zaius »

greeneyed wrote:Jayden Clarkson is the other outstanding prospect. Leo Thompson, Clay Webb and Sila Titiuti are a few other good prospects. I liked the look of Logan Lewis and Noah Saddler from the SG Ball team too.
Coastalraider wrote:
greeneyed wrote: July 23, 2021, 8:39 pm We’ve got to create room for our own young players coming through… otherwise we lose them. We’ve got some outstanding forward prospects inside the club.
How far off first grade are they?
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

If they want to take James, great. As others said he was a punt buy who is probably not really paid off- I don't think he's been bad for us, very handy 5th prop but that's not what he wants to be or what we are paying him.

Nami is the kind of player we wouldn't get into a bidding war to keep and he'd be better off leaving if he wants FG footy.

With Hodgo now taking up extensive middle minutes there isn't need for an already overstocked middle batch. Whitehead may well be moving in too (or Young will, one or the other). Then the juniors mentioned.

Papa, Tapine, Sutton, Guler top 4 props + Whitehead/Young (pick one, add other to middles list) and Hodgo taking up 40-55 lock minutes with Whitehead/Young the rest. There' room to keep Nami but you wouldn't bid for him. Guler, Young and Hors were brought in a few years ago and we got 2 good FG'ers out of it. Bring 3 more up I say.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Both should be allowed to leave.
We need to inject youth and agility into our forwards, much like we have with our backs.
Letting two older players leave is a good move.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Although I was initially happy with the club signing Ryan James, happy if he leaves, although is a top guy, but takes up $400,000 in the salary cap. Too slow and old, with minimal impact. Dunamis I really like as he is all effort and underrated, but if we have new forwards ready for a first grade bench spot, then I'm fine as well.

Horse is contracted but should be read the riot act in the summer to get fit. His form does not warrant FG. I'd keep him and hope he shows some improvement in form like Young. His last good game for us was in 2019.

I wouldn't extend Whitehead at this stage. His form deteriorated last year and hasn't been good this year. Not just attack but missed tackles. I'm not blaming solely him, but I hope we can have some attacking impetus on the left hand side of the field. May be suited better as a running and ball playing lock, and goes off when Starling comes on with Hodgson to lock.

The Wighton-Whitehead-Croker-Semi left hand side combo hasn't been good.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Same as all the above, it's a win win. Or maybe they can take Horse instead of Lui
Lui_Bon wrote: July 23, 2021, 11:12 pm I can see why Ikin/Broncos would be interested. In fact both these deals sound like win/wins. Though losing Nami would have to be cleared by Papa first.
I feel like Papa may join him up north at the end of his contract anyway. A Queensland swansong
mongoose
Glenn Lazarus

Post by mongoose »

I liked Lui, his hands weren't always the best but he was a good defender, quick for his size and obviously handy with the strip.

Was a fan of James at the Titans but he's not really added anything to this side. It does look like the game has past him by which is pretty sad as he was on the verge of origin selection just 2 years ago....
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Dr Zaius wrote: July 24, 2021, 9:13 am
greeneyed wrote:Jayden Clarkson is the other outstanding prospect. Leo Thompson, Clay Webb and Sila Titiuti are a few other good prospects. I liked the look of Logan Lewis and Noah Saddler from the SG Ball team too.
Coastalraider wrote:
How far off first grade are they?
I’d say Mooney and Thompson are not far off. I’d like to see Esera and Clarkson getting better football experience than Canberra Raiders Cup at the moment. Part of the problem is NSW Cup has been full of fringe first graders and we have no Jersey Flegg team. And now both lower grades are suspended.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

As likeable as both these guys are, our young brigade can also give us the same production. The trade-off is experience, and potentially team moral/ culture.

Given that Sia, Lui are off contract, and James has 1 to run, I'd be happy to part with 2 and hold 1. I suspect Sia moves to the staff, coaching or recruiting/ mentoring. Meaning flip a coin on the other 2, and surely the standing contract wins.

Either way, it means Horse, Guler, Young are all staples in the top 17, rather that 2 out of 3, and the likes of Mooney, Esra, Thompson and Rushton being blooded
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Matt wrote: July 24, 2021, 2:55 pm As likeable as both these guys are, our young brigade can also give us the same production. The trade-off is experience, and potentially team moral/ culture.

Given that Sia, Lui are off contract, and James has 1 to run, I'd be happy to part with 2 and hold 1. I suspect Sia moves to the staff, coaching or recruiting/ mentoring. Meaning flip a coin on the other 2, and surely the standing contract wins.

Either way, it means Horse, Guler, Young are all staples in the top 17, rather that 2 out of 3, and the likes of Mooney, Esra, Thompson and Rushton being blooded
Sia will definitely retire. I'd definitely prefer to keep Lui than James if we're keeping one. I don't think James has settled, and he's really only produced one good game so far.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

He is also coming off 2 ACLs

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

All comes down to money really. Lui has given us good value on a low wage. Good luck to him with a decent final contract if the Broncos want him. But geez the Broncos have some developing youngsters.

But happy to have Lui stay on a low wage if he continues to be a positive off field influence on teammates and youngsters. Which from all accounts he is.

James will need to show a bit more. Second tier props aren’t worth the money they were a few seasons ago.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

-TW- wrote:He is also coming off 2 ACLs

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk
That's the thing. Excepting guys like Hodgson, it's not surprising to see someone take a year or two to gain some consistency after a knee reconstruction, let alone two.

I don't think James has been that bad. Certainly some good moments this season IMO. His lateral movement has clearly suffered, whether that's just a confidence or a physical issue is unclear.

In comparison, it's taken Guler half a year to show some decent footy and he's had no excuse!

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

I've officially pulled the pin on Horse. "I guess he just wasn't made for these times..."
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

hrundi89 wrote:I've officially pulled the pin on Horse. "I guess he just wasn't made for these times..."
I haven't, lisfranc can take a long recovery.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

bonehead wrote: July 25, 2021, 6:27 pm
hrundi89 wrote:I've officially pulled the pin on Horse. "I guess he just wasn't made for these times..."
I haven't, lisfranc can take a long recovery.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
It's not the injury that concerns me.

It's the build, the brain, etc.

:hmmm
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.