Ricky

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Re: Ricky

Post by Finchy »

Hell hath no fury like Rickmando has for Ricky. He’s blinded by it, no matter what positives he has or good results he’s achieved here.

I’ve never been a Ricky (coaching) fan myself. Yes he won a GF in his first year at the Rooters, but that was with Gus pulling the strings and a rep filled team which included Brad Fittler, and the fact that the best team all year (Bulldogs) got stripped of all their points. He then lost the next two GFs and crashed. Started strong at the Sharks, then crashed. Did nothing at the Eels for his one season there finishing last, but they had a crap roster anyway which he attempted to clean out. Didn’t achieve much at rep level coaching. I always found him to be massively overrated, and wasn’t happy when we signed him.

2016, 2019, 2020 were big successes. 2017, 2018, and most of this year have been huge disappointments. I think Ricky’s coaching ability is very limited, and we are unlikely to win a GF with him as our coach. Especially with Bellamy hanging around at the Storm for another 5 years.

However, the only way Ricky will ever get sacked is if we start finishing last or close to it multiple years in a row. Anything above that gets him another rebuild and short term success, and inevitably another contract extension.

So either we have to have a Rickmando-like attitude and basically death ride Ricky for as long as he’s here, regardless of the occasional good results, or we accept the fact that Ricky is here to stay and get behind him and the team, and hope we can fluke a GF win over the next decade.

Basically there’s no better options. I know some people say that’s just a defeatist attitude, and we should find someone anyway, but unless we were to get a Bellamy or Robinson, I don’t think anyone else would have more success here.

So as flawed and limited as he is, I’ll back Ricky.
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

I will qualify - I loved Rick as a player. I also understand that the doco’s main focus was that era. I can separate different eras of his RL career.

But it still bleeds over into this cult of personality he has, where he purportedly is extra-green, or he’s some uber-Raider. That he sees things only he can see like he’s some oracle! That stuff isn’t worth a pinch of **** when it comes to the W’s and L’s in modern professional sport.

So yes I’ll death ride that coaching fraud like I have throughout his coaching career. I know it’s futile in the nepotistic environment that is the Canberra Raiders cocoon, but I will do it anyway because I genuinely think our winning a premiership is directly related to Rick’s employment status
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

But no one in this thread was really even talking about his coaching performances for the club until you came in here in a rage.
The only discussion about his coaching was the the disconnect of being such a skillful, creative and aggressive player and how that reconciles with him being such a defensive, grit and grind coach
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

Rickmando wrote: July 29, 2021, 11:58 am So yes I’ll death ride that coaching fraud like I have throughout his coaching career. I know it’s futile in the nepotistic environment that is the Canberra Raiders cocoon, but I will do it anyway because I genuinely think our winning a premiership is directly related to Rick’s employment status
Whilst I agree that it is doubtful we will win a GF under Ricky, surely the fact that we made a GF and two prelims, which hadn't been achieved under any previous coaches for 25 years, surely indicates Ricky can't be the worst option moving forward for potential success? Do you think we would have been better off under Elliott, Henry, Furner?
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Love4Noa
Brett Mullins

Post by Love4Noa »

I really don't, and never will, understand those who continue to undermine Ricky, or think that he isn't a good coach, or think he is the wrong guy for the job.

Exqueeze me? Baking powder? I don't own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate me owning a gun rack. We broke up! Are you mental??

Ricky played for the Wallabies before coming across to the Raiders and was the most influential player on field that we've ever had - probably more than any team has had since the 90s. The only other players that could be in the discussion are Andrew Johns (that makes my skin crawl), and Thurston.

When Ricky was on, we won.

As good as Daley, Meninga, Mullins, Clyde, Walters, Wiki, etc. were, we ALL know the impact that No Rick had in that fateful 93 final series.

I still and will always maintain, I never saw Andrew Johns do anything in attack that I didn't see Ricky Stuart do a year or two before. I never saw Ricky Stuart show up to Newcastle and get his butt handed to him by 30 points. Stuart was doing banana kicks to Mullins back at the posts before Andrew Johns ever got to enjoy the fruits of employer promotion when he became the darling of the super league war winning the ARL Comp.

Re Stuart - I can't recall the year, but it was late in his career with the Raiders, very late, potentially his final season, that Stuart suffered an injury (I'm not sure if it was a car crash?) that resulted in swelling to his brain. I remember watching the news and his wife saying the first thing he did when he woke up was talk about football. It's ingrained in the bloke.

For all the bashing that Canberra takes, as much as we want to claim it nepotism, Stuart has bought back respect for the Raiders. Prior to 2019, I would scarcely believe that anyone could comprehend how one eyed and supportive this town could get. Those of us old enough to remember 87, 89, 90, 91, 94, are too aware of the parochialism that exists in these parts when the team is flying.

Stuart took a few years in press conferences saying "we're building, we're learning, we're hurting" - and we passed it off as media words. But he got that team up for 2019 like it was 1989,

That's on the coach. The appetite for success now is on the coach. We barely have the days of David Howell anymore - we're now seeing some really good talented youngsters come through and wanting to play for the Raiders. We have a club that embraces guys like Sam Williams and Matt Frawley. We have a club that somehow has kept Papalii, Whitehead, and Wighton.

We're going pretty good. I'd rather be where we are than St George, or Canterbury. And we were at risk of being there if we didn't change the entire culture of the place.

Those moaning that he's not Bellamy are on another planet. No coach like Bellamy. Rugby League currently has a few remaining super coaches. Bennett. Bellamy. Robinson.

For the remaining 13 clubs, there's not a lot to pick from - and we're better having Ricky here than anywhere else.

Really excited to watch the doco - it probably tells us nothing new about the guy - but the post here where Kent was talking about Sterlo - go back and watch some of those 90s games - Stuart was actively pointing and yelling at players to get in positions for the next few plays. And he usually defended behind the ruck to organise defence.

True he can't coach someone how to be his carbon copy - but I've not seen anyone be able to influence a game like him (except for the previously mentioned future immortals)

Go easy on Rick, You'll miss him when he's gone.

Up the Milk.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Johns had most of Stuart's attacking skills covered, either by natural talent or by being a quality observer.

He had him covered in defense where he could tackle like a second rower, and in goal-kicking.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Love4Noa wrote: July 29, 2021, 1:24 pm

Ricky played for the Wallabies before coming across to the Raiders and was the most influential player on field that we've ever had - probably more than any team has had since the 90s. The only other players that could be in the discussion are Andrew Johns (that makes my skin crawl), and Thurston.

As good as Daley, Meninga, Mullins, Clyde, Walters, Wiki, etc. were, we ALL know the impact that No Rick had in that fateful 93 final series.
Completely agree with this. Been watching footy for a long time now. I'd rate Ricky as a player above Johns and Thurston. I would even rate Peter Sterling above those. See my post above. Sometimes it's hard to stand out when we had the best fullbacks in the game at the time (Belcher 1988-91; Mullins 94-95), centre (Meninga), 5/8 (Daley), lock (Clyde), prop (Lazarus - 1990), and hooker (Walters - 1994). But Ricky was the best of them all. I have never seen someone pass and kick as well as he does.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Love4Noa wrote: July 29, 2021, 1:24 pm I really don't, and never will, understand those who continue to undermine Ricky, or think that he isn't a good coach, or think he is the wrong guy for the job.

Exqueeze me? Baking powder? I don't own a gun, let alone many guns that would necessitate me owning a gun rack. We broke up! Are you mental??

I still and will always maintain, I never saw Andrew Johns do anything in attack that I didn't see Ricky Stuart do a year or two before. I never saw Ricky Stuart show up to Newcastle and get his butt handed to him by 30 points. Stuart was doing banana kicks to Mullins back at the posts before Andrew Johns ever got to enjoy the fruits of employer promotion when he became the darling of the super league war winning the ARL Comp.

Re Stuart - I can't recall the year, but it was late in his career with the Raiders, very late, potentially his final season, that Stuart suffered an injury (I'm not sure if it was a car crash?) that resulted in swelling to his brain. I remember watching the news and his wife saying the first thing he did when he woke up was talk about football. It's ingrained in the bloke.

For all the bashing that Canberra takes, as much as we want to claim it nepotism, Stuart has bought back respect for the Raiders. Prior to 2019, I would scarcely believe that anyone could comprehend how one eyed and supportive this town could get. Those of us old enough to remember 87, 89, 90, 91, 94, are too aware of the parochialism that exists in these parts when the team is flying.

Stuart took a few years in press conferences saying "we're building, we're learning, we're hurting" - and we passed it off as media words. But he got that team up for 2019 like it was 1989,

That's on the coach. The appetite for success now is on the coach. We barely have the days of David Howell anymore - we're now seeing some really good talented youngsters come through and wanting to play for the Raiders. We have a club that embraces guys like Sam Williams and Matt Frawley. We have a club that somehow has kept Papalii, Whitehead, and Wighton.

We're going pretty good. I'd rather be where we are than St George, or Canterbury. And we were at risk of being there if we didn't change the entire culture of the place.

Those moaning that he's not Bellamy are on another planet. No coach like Bellamy. Rugby League currently has a few remaining super coaches. Bennett. Bellamy. Robinson.

For the remaining 13 clubs, there's not a lot to pick from - and we're better having Ricky here than anywhere else.

Really excited to watch the doco - it probably tells us nothing new about the guy - but the post here where Kent was talking about Sterlo - go back and watch some of those 90s games - Stuart was actively pointing and yelling at players to get in positions for the next few plays. And he usually defended behind the ruck to organise defence.

True he can't coach someone how to be his carbon copy - but I've not seen anyone be able to influence a game like him (except for the previously mentioned future immortals)

Up the Milk.
Love the passion Noa, and I agree with more of it than you may think. Rick was an on-field genius in the way he saw the game, and he made the game better by bringing his skills across codes. Johns isn’t fit to tie his bootlaces - which has made all the gushing over him during and following his career even harder to cop. (That’s before we even get onto how he calls himself “the 8th” - give me a spell on that one).

But his coaching is below-average. All of the things that “make us proud” - hey, he could do those things in literally any other role at the football club! And maybe leave the actual coaching of football to someone more qualified, innovative and relevant?

Finchy asked if I’d prefer our previous coaches…. well no, and if anything that’s what I’m railing against.

Has this club ever put energy into a fair, merit-based recruitment process for the role? We should be doing everything we can to gain an edge in a sport where edges have been reduced in the age of professionalism. We clearly apply a very amateur approach to the hiring of staff.

Rick in charge of football handicaps us because he’s not up to the job. Let’s find someone who is, whilst keeping Rick on as chief cheerleader who is undisputedly IC of bleeding green. Surely that’s a win-win????
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Rickmando wrote:
Love4Noa wrote: July 29, 2021, 1:24 pm I really don't, and never will, understand those who continue to undermine Ricky, or think that he isn't a good coach, or think he is the wrong guy for the job.

Up the Milk.
Love the passion Noa, and I agree with more of it than you may think. Rick was an on-field genius in the way he saw the game, and he made the game better by bringing his skills across codes. Johns isn’t fit to tie his bootlaces - which has made all the gushing over him during and following his career even harder to cop. (That’s before we even get onto how he calls himself “the 8th” - give me a spell on that one).

But his coaching is below-average. All of the things that “make us proud” - hey, he could do those things in literally any other role at the football club! And maybe leave the actual coaching of football to someone more qualified, innovative and relevant?

Finchy asked if I’d prefer our previous coaches…. well no, and if anything that’s what I’m railing against.

Has this club ever put energy into a fair, merit-based recruitment process for the role? We should be doing everything we can to gain an edge in a sport where edges have been reduced in the age of professionalism. We clearly apply a very amateur approach to the hiring of staff.

Rick in charge of football handicaps us because he’s not up to the job. Let’s find someone who is, whilst keeping Rick on as chief cheerleader who is undisputedly IC of bleeding green. Surely that’s a win-win????
I'm semi onboard here but I'm still hurting about the last time we picked the best candidate from outside the club being Elliott who we chose over Bellamy who was the old boy favourite.
I'd really like to see Sticky bring in a gun assistant which would allow him to keep his HC title but add to the coaching, I don't really know who outside someone like John Cartwright though.
Where's Sean "John" Wane or Adrian Lam? I did hear someone mention Dim Jim Dymock as a possibility.
Ennis full time would be good too.

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
mick63
David Grant
Favourite Player: chicka,lazzo,logan,rapana

Post by mick63 »

Have to agree with the OP.
The doco should have been longer.
It barely picked at the seams of the fabric that makes Ricky Ricky.
If anyone is suitable for a multi layered character study it’s Ricky and I think the producers left an opportunity of a great profile on the cutting room floor.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

Where can I watch a replay ?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

hrundi89 wrote: July 29, 2021, 2:20 pm Johns had most of Stuart's attacking skills covered, either by natural talent or by being a quality observer.

He had him covered in defense where he could tackle like a second rower, and in goal-kicking.
Johns had a better running and short passing game too, IMO.

You're not gonna have many rate others above Stuart on a Raiders based site, especially not Johns given the disdain for him, but I can't put Stuart above him.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'm detecting bring back Dave Furner undercurrents. If we miss the 8 expect a 50-page offseason thread.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:21 pm I'm detecting bring back Dave Furner undercurrents. If we miss the 8 expect a 50-page offseason thread.
*shudder*

Reminds me of how divided and hostile the forum was back in those days.

We're a Lionel Hutz thought bubble all holding hands now in comparison.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sid wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:11 pm Where can I watch a replay ?

Foxtel has it available to stream. I expect Kayo does too.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:21 pm I'm detecting bring back Dave Furner undercurrents. If we miss the 8 expect a 50-page offseason thread.
Only 50? When Ricky Stuart was appointed it was an 89 page thread!
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

afgtnk wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:38 pm
*shudder*

Plenty of casualties. Thickos was never seen again.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

greeneyed wrote: July 29, 2021, 6:20 pm
Only 50? When Ricky Stuart was appointed it was an 89 page thread!
Oh if Dave was actually appointed we'd be going Brian Lara big.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2021, 6:21 pm
*shudder*

And so long as people keep their mouth shut, he never will be.
Sid
Ricky Stuart
Favourite Player: Shannon Boyd

Post by Sid »

greeneyed wrote:
Sid wrote: July 29, 2021, 5:11 pm Where can I watch a replay ?

Foxtel has it available to stream. I expect Kayo does too.
Kayo does!

Would have won Boogs - 2016, 2017, 2018

1 part green, 1 part machine
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Botman wrote: July 29, 2021, 7:11 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: July 29, 2021, 6:21 pm
*shudder*

And so long as people keep their mouth shut, he never will be.
Currently residing at the Uni of Tasmania as Senior Lecturer in Soft Matter Chemistry.

:hmmm

Disappeared off the face of the map in relation to the Raiders.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Canberra Milk wrote:Watching now, it's really good

He was such an attacking dynamo as a player but he doesn't come across that way in his coaching. He loves winning and aggression. He clearly sees football as a bunch of close knit mates going to battle together. I think we can see that in the current Raiders team

Interesting to hear how much having Fittler made him realise the importance of senior players to drive standards. I think that may explain the continual picking of Tootsy. I wonder if this year has taught him you can rely too much on them, if you give them too much power (forwards deciding who starts, etc)
Senior players driving standards was 100% our issue in the Carney/Dugan period.

It seriously set us back 10 years.

If your most talented players are complete dropkicks you're almost destined to fail.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Sure although it helps when your senior player happens to be Freddy Fittler
Elcaptcroker
David Grant
Favourite Player: Jarrod croker

Post by Elcaptcroker »

Please tell me this is someone on here, reading comments on a ben simmons fox sports post and this bloke commented on it ImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

It's just another Lucy alt.
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

that's our Lucy