All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Raiders reportedly interested in Dylan Brown

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

Canberra Raiders eye Paulo and Brown

Parramatta stars Dylan Brown and Junior Paulo are being courted by the Canberra Raiders. The Daily Telegraph understands Canberra has engaged in internal discussions about lodging big money offers to Brown and Paulo, who can be formally approached by rival clubs from November 1.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... 54f99febeb

Why the next two months could solve Parramatta’s $4.2m roster headache: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 368b671eda
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: Raiders reportedly interested in Junior Paulo and Dylan Brown

Post by Toviii »

Wouldn’t mind Paulo for some ball playing ability in the middle third but doubt he’d want to come back to the raiders
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

It’s funny, I asked Junior why he was leaving at a members function when he had signed with Parra cause I thought he wanted out of Sydney and he said Salary Cap issues had to free up some space for the club but said he would return to Canberra after his contract. But I thought he was taking the piss

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Junior certainly had a lot of time for the Raiders fans. I always found him to be a good bloke.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

Junior is a terrific bloke and actually told me he sees himself back in raiders colours one day.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Surprising that we would release to the media our internal discussions, when we are only considering making an offer. We are probably aiming to get some of their other players. I wouldn't mind having another Papa in our team, and he's played better than our current second rowers.

I'm for both joining at the right price as our team would improve. Getting another rep level prop is strange as it comes with the price tag as that's the one area I think we are strong on.
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

Do we really need Paulo?

I think if there is one position we are pretty OK on it is the prop rotation. Unless Tapine's mrs has had enough and would like to coach elsewhere.
Up The Milk
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Brown has got one try assist all year. Then Moses being injured exposed him all the more - he can't playmake. He's the wrong guy
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:04 am Do we really need Paulo?
Yes. We need a good ball playing 5/8.

Am I being sarcastic? Or serious? Or both? Sarcirious? Seritastic?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

What's Paulo going to be potentially on? And why do we need to adding middles to our football team?
Dont mind the player but just not a requirement for this team

As for Brown... we need someone who can use the football... we have ball runners. We have them coming out of our ****. Up and down the roster we have ball runners... We need someone who can actually read the defence and make the correct pass. I know that's hard to find, but thats what we need and Brown isnt that
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

I think if there is one position we are pretty OK on it is the prop rotation. Unless Tapine's mrs has had enough and would like to coach elsewhere.
That's what I thought. As you suggest though, it may be around future roster move e.g. letting Tapine go. Looking forward we may need to shore up this position if that's the case. Sia also likely to retire. James probably moved on. Hors has struggled this year and often injured. Guler is OK without being a top liner. Not sure we have anyone else coming through the ranks. Paulo's presence could be a nice upgrade to support our most bankable guys like Paps and Sutton.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Canberra Milk wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:04 am Brown has got one try assist all year. Then Moses being injured exposed him all the more - he can't playmake. He's the wrong guy
Brown is a poor man's Wighton.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Lamenting Actions
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: Grace Kemp

Post by Lamenting Actions »

Botman wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:24 am As for Brown... we need someone who can use the football... we have ball runners. We have them coming out of our ****. Up and down the roster we have ball runners... We need someone who can actually read the defence and make the correct pass. I know that's hard to find, but thats what we need and Brown isnt that
Yep. I thought I read Mullholland's message about still looking in England those weeks ago as him using it as a solution for the defence reading/passing/structure issue (i.e. even looking at English Rugby for talent), but then Don Jr appears to have shot that to pieces saying they are developing a young halfback (which we can safely assume is Schneider).
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

Lamenting Actions wrote:
Botman wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:24 am As for Brown... we need someone who can use the football... we have ball runners. We have them coming out of our ****. Up and down the roster we have ball runners... We need someone who can actually read the defence and make the correct pass. I know that's hard to find, but thats what we need and Brown isnt that
Yep. I thought I read Mullholland's message about still looking in England those weeks ago as him using it as a solution for the defence reading/passing/structure issue (i.e. even looking at English Rugby for talent), but then Don Jr appears to have shot that to pieces saying they are developing a young halfback (which we can safely assume is Schneider).
he's talking about Sam Williams, we've been developing him for 10yrs it's coming home to roost now

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:24 am What's Paulo going to be potentially on? And why do we need to adding middles to our football team?

As for Brown... we need someone who can use the football... we have ball runners. We have them coming out of our ****. Up and down the roster we have ball runners... We need someone who can actually read the defence and make the correct pass. I know that's hard to find, but thats what we need and Brown isnt that
+1 for me on this. Fit Paulo is good player, chubby Paulo will struggle with the new game - we aren’t desperate for either I wouldn’t have thought.

Brown - again…..

Could use a ball player or two.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: August 6, 2021, 10:24 am What's Paulo going to be potentially on? And why do we need to adding middles to our football team?

Can Papa only play every 2nd game next yr?

Are we trading him or Tapine?

Have we decided that with Hodgo at 13 for long periods we can't have workhorse middles, we need impact ones?

As for Brown. I'm with you. We don't need a 2nd running half. We need an organiser, a kicker, a creator.

That said... if the rotation is Papa, Tarpz, JrP, and the halves are Brown and Jack, the game plan is smash the front door down and play from offloads.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: August 6, 2021, 12:39 pm

Can Papa only play every 2nd game next yr?

Are we trading him or Tapine?

Have we decided that with Hodgo at 13 for long periods we can't have workhorse middles, we need impact ones?

As for Brown. I'm with you. We don't need a 2nd running half. We need an organiser, a kicker, a creator.
I’m not sure any player only available to play every second game is viable. Far too disruptive no matter how good the player. If that eventuates I’d say it’s hard decision time and Paulo probably is a good poor mans Papa.
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Fit Junior most definitely, Brown I’m not so sure about…
dubby
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Mal Meninga

Post by dubby »

We're moving someone/s on I assume

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
Finchy
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Ata Mariota

Post by Finchy »

I never thought Junior would come back here. Whilst I didn’t think we need more middle forwards, he plays big minutes and has ball playing ability, which we could use
Ata Mariota’s #1 fan. Bless his cotton socks.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

We'd have to be moving on a few players but I don't think that necessarily means it must be Tapine or Papalii... I feel like Ricky wants four props in the rotation that can all contribute at a high level. It's why he splits Papa and Tapine instead of playing the two of them as our starting props imo, I don't think he would trust a second unit of say Guler and Sutton. And I suspect that's why his bench rotation is so poor... he wants to keep the players who are performing on the field for too long.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

James is $400,000, Sia $250,000, Dunamis $250,000 - so this pays for Junior Paulo

But I thought he didn't like living in Canberra and there were rumours after his second season (2017) that he wanted to return to Sydney?
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Great moves, I hope we get them done.

JP - Insurance policy for Tapine.
DB - Great defender and support player. Allows us to move JW to lock or second row. Doesn't prevent us from adding a ball playing halfback.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 2:57 pm James is $400,000, Sia $250,000, Dunamis $250,000 - so this pays for Junior Paulo

But I thought he didn't like living in Canberra and there were rumours after his second season (2017) that he wanted to return to Sydney?
He was moved for cap reasons and has stated to many people privately he would return.
And I agree with your salary maths...you replace 3 squaddies with a premier prop and bring in youngsters to fill the gaps.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

GreenMachine wrote: August 6, 2021, 3:16 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 2:57 pm James is $400,000, Sia $250,000, Dunamis $250,000 - so this pays for Junior Paulo

He was moved for cap reasons and has stated to many people privately he would return.
And I agree with your salary maths...you replace 3 squaddies with a premier prop and bring in youngsters to fill the gaps.
Pretty sure James was reported as $350k. Replace those first 2 with $150k fringe players and you have $300k net cap room. That means only $550k to replace Lui with Paulo. Gettingbn close but might need to dip into some other cap space to make that happen.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Middle didn't show up in anyone's recruitment priorities. In fact we could easily let a couple go.

If we lose Nami, Hors, Havilii, James and Sia- replace most with budget contract juniors we'd be refreshing the squad and between James and Sia and the little bits of savings on the others mentioned we might get near a Junior Paulo contract I suppose, at this stage of his career.

He's a good player but it'd need to be integral to a play style shift to make much sense.

Dylan Brown is very quick but very limited in skill set and gamesense from what I've seen. Poor mans Jack Wighton.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Havili, Sia, Lui, James all moving on.

That's a fair amount of cap. It's also a lot of older players past their best.

The spiral of silence refers to the idea that when people fail to speak, the price of speaking rises. As the price to speak rises, still fewer speak out, which further causes the price to rise, so that fewer people yet will speak out, until a whole culture or nation is silenced. This is what happened in Germany.

If you do not speak, you are not being neutral, but are contributing to the success of the thing you refuse to name and condemn.
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Have those rumours of Papa wanting out died?
Could JP be in case Papa's out the door?
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

James is contracted for next year.

Is there any actual basis to the claim he is moving on or is this just the next iteration of "Sia to welfare officer" and "Sam Williams to assistant coach"?

All are assumptions people have repeated enough that now they are treated as fact.
Up The Milk
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Mickey_Raider wrote: August 6, 2021, 3:49 pm James is contracted for next year.

Is there any actual basis to the claim he is moving on or is this just the next iteration of "Sia to welfare officer" and "Sam Williams to assistant coach"?

All are assumptions people have repeated enough that now they are treated as fact.
Like Croker voluntarily retiring at the end of the year and leaving 1.5mil+ on the table.
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Paulo is a play for 2023 and not next year. So James having one more year doesn't change that. Broncos were looking at recruiting James for 2022 but we may have to pay some freight.

Hopefully we can terminate Scott to save more money. Croker needs to have a straight talk with Ricky and Don as well.

Wouldn't surprise me that we try to sign both Paulo and Brown for 2023 but ask them to agitate to leave and join us in 2022.
Last edited by Hong Kong Raider on August 6, 2021, 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Paulo is also contracted to the Eels for 2022. This is the NRL where negotiations are done 18 months in advance.
dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Mickey_Raider wrote:James is contracted for next year.

He's been offered to Brisbane.

It was posted here a few weeks ago.

dubby
Don Furner

Post by dubby »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

Like Croker voluntarily retiring at the end of the year and leaving 1.5mil+ on the table.
I don't think that was an assumption taken as fact, more an opinion.

sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

If Tapine moves to the Chooks that should free up some decent funds…