Raiders reportedly interested in Dylan Brown

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows, while Havili off to Rabbitohs

Post by Billy Walker »

Matt wrote: September 4, 2021, 2:09 pm Brown and Wighton would be horrible horrible hot mess
Do you think Ricky might be looking to shift Jack from the halves. Some are saying lock but I think he would be a weapon centre and not opposed to back in the 1 again. He’d be on halves money and overpaid but if he could dominate with his power running game perhaps worth a try? Not sure where we then find 2 halves given we can’t track down 1.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows, while Havili off to Rabbitohs

Post by GreenMachine »

Billy Walker wrote: September 4, 2021, 2:44 pm
Matt wrote: September 4, 2021, 2:09 pm Brown and Wighton would be horrible horrible hot mess
Do you think Ricky might be looking to shift Jack from the halves. Some are saying lock but I think he would be a weapon centre and not opposed to back in the 1 again. He’d be on halves money and overpaid but if he could dominate with his power running game perhaps worth a try? Not sure where we then find 2 halves given we can’t track down 1.
That’s exactly what Ricky will do.

Something like:

6. Brown
7. Schneider
12 or 13 Jack.

And I don’t mind it at all.
Anything that gets Jack out of the halves is a win.
Jack is a hammer….and to a hammer, every problem is a nail.

We need more at 7 and before you @ me about Schneider, I know he will struggle and completely expect it…but my expectations are lower..

We’re in a rebuild and I have no problem with that.

Running the same squad as 19, 20 and 21 is sheer stupidity.
jimmy82
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by jimmy82 »

Jack has developed his passing game now and is an out and out full back. Can tackle, save tries, run hard and play make. All the attributes of a good full back. Speed is the only concern.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

gergreg wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:52 am
BadnMean wrote:
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 4, 2021, 12:15 am
MrPosh wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:27 pm I think you've got to move Wighton to 13. Puts and extra playmaking option in the middle of the park, which lets CNK focus on supporting the ball runner and defending.

Brown at six would work very well with this, as long as someone with a kicking game plays at seven.
From a physical standpoint I like Wighton at 13. I'm just not sure it's a good fit for him mentally. Pretty tough position to play when you're expected to be a ball playing option and know when to inject yourself. The really quality ballplaying 13 is a bit of a dead art since the days of Scott Hill, Travis Norton and Nik Kosef. Wade Graham would be an exception. My fear would be Wighton goes the Whitehead route and finesses his way through 80 minutes 75% of the time. It's not effective in the modern game.
JAck Wighton is a "rip in" kind of player. He relishes the contest and the contact. The last thing I would ever associate him with, is finessing his way through a game. 13 would be a lot simpler for him than 6, put it that way. It's the playmaking pressure that confuses his.
The ball playing between 6 and 13 is very different. Link vs create. Wighton would be a good fit. The only problem is his contract value is too much for a 13.
He’s being paid that contract regardless of the number on his back..

Ultimately I think whitehead plays that role and he has to find some form, spend the off season working on your short kicking and playing touch footy just learning how to move the ball at the right time.
T_R
Don Furner

Post by T_R »

Jack has been in equal parts done over and kissed by a rainbow by the positions he has played in his career. If he had been parked at right centre from day one and left there, I think he'd be now regarded as one of the best in the game, and would be locked-in at both Origin and international level. On the other hand, his contract would have been a good $150k a year lower.
By being moved from wing to centre to fullback to 5/8 and, I suspect, into the forwards in future, he's probably earned more than he was entitled to by talent, but has been left I think to fail upwards.

Son, we live in a world that has forums, and those forums have to be guarded by Mods. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Nickman? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Lucy, and you curse GE. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know -- that GE’s moderation, while tragic, probably saved lives; and my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, keeps threads on track and under the appropriately sized, highlighted green headings.
You want moderation because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that forum -- you need me on that forum. We use words like "stay on topic," "use the appropriate forum," "please delete." We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very moderation that I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather that you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you get a green handle and edit a post. Either way, I don't give a DAMN what you think about moderation.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

papabear wrote:
BadnMean wrote:
MrPosh wrote: September 3, 2021, 9:27 pm I think you've got to move Wighton to 13. Puts and extra playmaking option in the middle of the park, which lets CNK focus on supporting the ball runner and defending.

Brown at six would work very well with this, as long as someone with a kicking game plays at seven.
From a physical standpoint I like Wighton at 13. I'm just not sure it's a good fit for him mentally. Pretty tough position to play when you're expected to be a ball playing option and know when to inject yourself. The really quality ballplaying 13 is a bit of a dead art since the days of Scott Hill, Travis Norton and Nik Kosef. Wade Graham would be an exception. My fear would be Wighton goes the Whitehead route and finesses his way through 80 minutes 75% of the time. It's not effective in the modern game.
JAck Wighton is a "rip in" kind of player. He relishes the contest and the contact. The last thing I would ever associate him with, is finessing his way through a game. 13 would be a lot simpler for him than 6, put it that way. It's the playmaking pressure that confuses his.
The ball playing between 6 and 13 is very different. Link vs create. Wighton would be a good fit. The only problem is his contract value is too much for a 13.
*scratches head* yeah, that's why it's a problem.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

jimmy82 wrote: September 4, 2021, 4:21 pm Jack has developed his passing game now and is an out and out full back. Can tackle, save tries, run hard and play make. All the attributes of a good full back. Speed is the only concern.
I’m starting to come back around to the idea of Jack going back to fullback.

1-Wighton
2-Savage
3-Smith-Shields
4-Nicoll-Klokstad
5-Rapana
6-Brown
7-Schneider

I guess I’d be happier with that than with some of the other combinations that are being thrown about.

The defence side of it would really concern me though, Jack’s FB defence and attacking kick defence was quite poor when he last wore the #1.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

GreenMachine wrote: September 4, 2021, 3:16 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 4, 2021, 2:44 pm
That’s exactly what Ricky will do.

Something like:

6. Brown
7. Schneider
12 or 13 Jack.

And I don’t mind it at all.
Anything that gets Jack out of the halves is a win.
Jack is a hammer….and to a hammer, every problem is a nail.

We need more at 7 and before you @ me about Schneider, I know he will struggle and completely expect it…but my expectations are lower..

We’re in a rebuild and I have no problem with that.

Running the same squad as 19, 20 and 21 is sheer stupidity.
TBH, I'd look at edge not lock. As he can only pass 1 way. Basically, play the roll Smelly has done the past few yrs.

Otherwise, a ball playing 1 again would work. Might mean he runs it a bit more and only passing in actual sweep movements
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Not a fan of Wighton back at fullback, I prefer CNK over him there. Fine with him moving to centres or lock but not at all convinced about the alternate options we'd have in the halves.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

T_R wrote: September 4, 2021, 4:34 pm Jack has been in equal parts done over and kissed by a rainbow by the positions he has played in his career. If he had been parked at right centre from day one and left there, I think he'd be now regarded as one of the best in the game, and would be locked-in at both Origin and international level. On the other hand, his contract would have been a good $150k a year lower.
By being moved from wing to centre to fullback to 5/8 and, I suspect, into the forwards in future, he's probably earned more than he was entitled to by talent, but has been left I think to fail upwards.
I don't remember him ever looking great at right centre. Looked much better whenever he got a run at left centre, but he was never going to get a realistic challenge at that position.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I am not saying Dylan Brown is the answer but I disagree with those saying he and Wighton would be a horrible mess as a halves pairing in our current system. And I say that based on using Hodgson and Starling as we did late in the year. With Hodgo as a link in the middle both players will get the ball two passes wide where they are more effective. If Hodgo leaves, then I'll need to revisit my opinion.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:18 pm
T_R wrote: September 4, 2021, 4:34 pm Jack has been in equal parts done over and kissed by a rainbow by the positions he has played in his career. If he had been parked at right centre from day one and left there, I think he'd be now regarded as one of the best in the game, and would be locked-in at both Origin and international level. On the other hand, his contract would have been a good $150k a year lower.
I don't remember him ever looking great at right centre. Looked much better whenever he got a run at left centre, but he was never going to get a realistic challenge at that position.
A different club might have just started moving Toots aside to accomodate the far superior talent within a year or so of his emergence...
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:29 pm I am not saying Dylan Brown is the answer but I disagree with those saying he and Wighton would be a horrible mess as a halves pairing in our current system. And I say that based on using Hodgson and Starling as we did late in the year. With Hodgo as a link in the middle both players will get the ball two passes wide where they are more effective. If Hodgo leaves, then I'll need to revisit my opinion.
Granted we looked better with Hodgson mvoing to the middle and playing the link role... but even though it was better, our attack in that structure still absolutely stunk to high heaven. I'm not hanging my hat too much on a structure that took up from worst in the league to maybe 3rd worst in the league?

Dylan Brown wouldnt come here cheaply. We're talking a 700k a year investment. For that we need someone capable of ball playing. Brown is arguably the worst half in the league as far as ball playing goes.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:33 pm
Wiki Special wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:29 pm I am not saying Dylan Brown is the answer but I disagree with those saying he and Wighton would be a horrible mess as a halves pairing in our current system. And I say that based on using Hodgson and Starling as we did late in the year. With Hodgo as a link in the middle both players will get the ball two passes wide where they are more effective. If Hodgo leaves, then I'll need to revisit my opinion.
Granted we looked better with Hodgson mvoing to the middle and playing the link role... but even though it was better, our attack in that structure still absolutely stunk to high heaven. I'm not hanging my hat too much on a structure that took up from worst in the league to maybe 3rd worst in the league?

Dylan Brown wouldnt come here cheaply. We're talking a 700k a year investment. For that we need someone capable of ball playing. Brown is arguably the worst half in the league as far as ball playing goes.
It would have looked better with George instead of Sam/Frawley, in my opinion.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Here’s the problem with Dylan Brown.

Whichever sucker buys him next - they are paying a lot of money (based on his relatively young age, supposed “potential” since entering the league, and a dearth of options in the halfback market) for a low-ceiling type of player.

We should absolutely not be that sucker.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

BadnMean wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:30 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:18 pm
A different club might have just started moving Toots aside to accomodate the far superior talent within a year or so of his emergence...
I always thought Furner did him a disservice not dropping him back to reserve grade a couple of times after he had tough weeks to work on a few things. Pretty much sent the message that those types of performances are acceptable and going to happen every once in a while. Eliminating those couple or clangers a year was the difference in Croker pushing for rep honours.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Wiki Special wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:35 pm

Im sure it would have looked better, better enough to make it good? I really dont think there is any chance of that being the case given absolutely no one in the 1-6-7-9-13 can ball play in that structure.

Better? Sure
Good? No chance.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins

Post by Wiki Special »

Botman wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:58 pm

Im sure it would have looked better, better enough to make it good? I really dont think there is any chance of that being the case given absolutely no one in the 1-6-7-9-13 can ball play in that structure.

Better? Sure
Good? No chance.
We'll have to disagree but I still say that structure would have been good enough for us to have a similar season to last year had George stayed. That being a 5th/6th placed team with a chance to make a Prelim - but clearly below the top 2 teams. I would call that Good. Whether Good is good enough is a real argument though.

What I will say emphatically is if we pay $750K for Dylan Brown to play in the halves with Wighton we are going to look real silly not signing Nicho Hynes to play the same role for the same money.
Last edited by Wiki Special on September 4, 2021, 6:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azza
Laurie Daley

Post by Azza »

Better? Sure
Good? No chance.
I sure hope they don't have an ICE CREAM ROUND.
HoraceBigCigar
Gary Coyne
Favourite Player: Jason Croker

Post by HoraceBigCigar »

gergreg wrote: September 4, 2021, 4:45 pm
papabear wrote:
BadnMean wrote:

*scratches head* yeah, that's why it's a problem.
Every time I see I.Yeo running the ball in the middle of the park I can’t help but think “Jack would be good at that”, even if not as good, still better than where he is now (and he can’t disappear to the edge). This just leaves the “small” problem of a good (half decent) no. 6 (and no.7). There’s sooooo much talent on the market and they are all dying to move to Canberra and play under a modern, up to date coach. We are going nowhere with the current setup, time to mix things up and roll the dice. Does it matter if we finish a credible 10th or a crappy 13th? I would rather a crappy 14th but know that we were trying to find a solution than the boringathon playing it safe that we have and will most likely get if we stick with the current structures. He’ll I’d even sign Dufty at a bargain price and put him at 6 at this stage (drowning men clutch at straws :roflmao :roflmao ) But it can also go the other way… think 2016.
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

If the club thinks Dylan Brown is the answer wearing the #7 to partner Jack Wighton, then they fundamentally don’t understand the question.

It would be a disaster of epic proportions. And you’d have to imagine it’d be 3+ years at 700+ to get him to Canberra.

It’d be an albatross around our neck for a long time.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Wiki Special wrote: September 4, 2021, 6:25 pm

Better? Sure
Good? No chance.
We'll have to disagree but I still say that structure would have been good enough for us to have a similar season to last year had George stayed. That being a 5th/6th placed team with a chance to make a Prelim - but clearly below the top 2 teams. I would call that Good. Whether Good is good enough is a real argument though.

What I will say emphatically is if we pay $750K for Dylan Brown to play in the halves with Wighton we are going to look real silly not signing Nicho Hynes to play the same role for the same money.
Yes indeed.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

AUDIO: Wendell Sailor says Raiders falter to spark clean out: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/raider ... out-185656
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:38 pm AUDIO: Wendell Sailor says Raiders falter to spark clean out: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/raider ... out-185656
Cleanout of all Ricky's non-favourites like Havili and James, who weren't even responsible for 2021's failure
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2021, 9:50 am
greeneyed wrote: September 4, 2021, 9:38 pm AUDIO: Wendell Sailor says Raiders falter to spark clean out: https://www.triplem.com.au/story/raider ... out-185656
Cleanout of all Ricky's non-favourites like Havili and James, who weren't even responsible for 2021's failure
Seriously, if you were a top player like Reynolds and Hynes, would you consider even joining us ? He's also ruined more than one halfback. Ricky and Madge would have the worst reputation in the comp for recruitment. I don't think any elite player is remotely interested in us. Dylan Brown is not elite, but I doubt he would be too. Why would he leave Parra to be coached by Stuart ? From his view it would be regressing. You would learn nothing.

The club (note I'm not pinning it on Ricky) leaks information on players. It bought Ryan James but he considers playing has beens like Sia - doing the same mistake over and over again. He favours his players that brown nose him - the older players who haven't demonstrated form for the last 1-2 years and don't deserve to be pick, let alone contract extensions. If you get on the wrong side of him he shuts you out and is not supportive. The non-favourites cop it in selection all the time.
yeh raiders
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Jack Wighton

Post by yeh raiders »

Dylan Brown has shades of Corey Norman about him. There for the pay cheque, a good time and not much else.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Watching Titans game, Tyrone peachey is no organising half, but still better than our current options and Dylan brown
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2021, 3:53 pm Watching Titans game, Tyrone peachey is no organising half, but still better than our current options and Dylan brown
He'd be the guy i'd target to play the #13 role.
Think if got him and a legit halfback, it would really improve our attack
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2021, 3:53 pm Watching Titans game, Tyrone peachey is no organising half, but still better than our current options and Dylan brown
Preston Campbell’s young fella goes alright hey
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 3:58 pm
Preston Campbell’s young fella goes alright hey
He's a weapon
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley

Post by Canberra Milk »

Botman wrote: September 5, 2021, 3:57 pm
He'd be the guy i'd target to play the #13 role.
Think if got him and a legit halfback, it would really improve our attack
I think a good ballplaying #13 mitigates the need for an organising half... a point lost on R Stewart when he stopped playing Hodgson there. I fully expect to see another prop named there next year with no decent half, but who knows. Peachey at 13 could open Wighton up too, running angles off him etc
Timbo
David Furner

Post by Timbo »

I can’t shake the bad feeling that there will be some horse trading in the next few weeks and we’ll end up with Luke Brooks.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: September 5, 2021, 4:48 pm I can’t shake the bad feeling that there will be some horse trading in the next few weeks and we’ll end up with Luke Brooks.
Friend, I came to this conclusion months ago
Nothing is more certain in life than Luke Brooks being the raiders halfback in 2022
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Madden playing his second NRL game looks better than Brooks playing his 150th +
Old School Green
Dean Lance

Post by Old School Green »

Botman wrote: September 5, 2021, 4:55 pm
Timbo wrote: September 5, 2021, 4:48 pm I can’t shake the bad feeling that there will be some horse trading in the next few weeks and we’ll end up with Luke Brooks.
Friend, I came to this conclusion months ago
Nothing is more certain in life than Luke Brooks being the raiders halfback in 2022
Yeh it feels like this.

If it happens let’s hope he goes alright and just needed out of the shambles he’s in. Jury’s out though until he shows something other than mediocrity personified
87, 89, 90, 91, 94, 19
I was there. Go the Milk !!