Raiders reportedly interested in Dylan Brown

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Re: Raiders interest in Eels half Dylan Brown grows

Post by Raider47 »

Botman wrote: September 12, 2021, 6:17 pm Pearce was pretty ordinary too, that game was a good show case of why we really cant be giving any of these players rumoured more than 1-2 years. The most established options we've been linked to just put on show why they're available for a club like ours.
They're not very good
Yep shows the dearth of young play making talent coming through atm.
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I think we are low on options at this point. I was hoping that we could get Mitchell Pearce for a year or two, but that story seems to have gone away.. Unless there is some young talent coming through, a Brown or Taylor might be the best option.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Brown and Pearce were terrible today. It was all M Moses. Clifford was even better than Pearce. Newcastle cannot score more than 20 points with Ponga in their line up. Brooks is also terrible.

Having said that, all three above are better than our current options. We will have the worst half (and possibly) the worst spine in the comp next year.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Would Brown be 7 if he joined us?
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yep. Anyone coming here to play in the halves will be a 7.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Have to agree that brown was very underwhelming yesterday. Watching him kick close to the line gave me the heebie_geebies. I could of sworn it was Sammy W putting those pointless mid field chip kicks that are a gift for opposition full backs.

Given CHT can test the market I think we'd be better served moving in that direction. Again not sure if he turns the needle but he is a goal kicking half who would have to be better than our current stocks provided we don't throw elite dollars at him

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

rolhai
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Shaun Fensom

Post by rolhai »

Brown also plays on the left in that eels team. Who would move to the right?

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

1985/86: The last time we missed consecutive finals series.....Until STICKY
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

rolhai wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:30 am Brown also plays on the left in that eels team. Who would move to the right?

Brown has played both sides for the Eels so it would be him.

I'm still in the camp that this won't be as diabolical as most think. I think he'll be at least equal to Sezer in ability for us so obviously price point will determine whether he is a positive buy or not.

But I'll say it again - where were we when Hynes was available if Brown is the type of half we are targetting????
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

This was discussed earlier but we were trying to hold on to Williams.
The week Williams stopped playing and Hynes signed with the sharks is the same week or a day off.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

We released Williams around May 25, Hynes signed June 1. We could have thrown our hat in if we wanted.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Who says we didn't?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

It's a sign of how dire things are looking for 2022 that I'm now hoping we sign Ash Taylor on the cheap and the change of scenery somehow inspires him to find another level for his game.

Everything I've seen of Dylan Brown makes it seem like he is the exact wrong player for us to put at halfback. But he's a big body who plays off the cuff, so he's the exact player that Sticky would want in that role so I've got no doubts we'll be saddled with him for three or so seasons commanding a sizable portion of our cap.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I've convinced myself he won't come. Raiders will want it, Parra will want it, but he won't. It's a big career decision for him: to ambitiously take the reins at 7 at a mid-tier team coming off a bad year, or, continue to ply his trade at a top 6 team where he can be relatively anonymous and there's no real pressure. If he takes the former option, he risks being exposed as a weak playmaker and his value plummets. The latter option is safer

I just don't see that ambition and drive in him. To me he looks comfortable, a bit like Joey Manu happily playing centre at the Chooks. He's then also a city and beach boy which puts the icing on the cake
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 13, 2021, 2:56 pm I've convinced myself he won't come. Raiders will want it, Parra will want it, but he won't. It's a big career decision for him: to ambitiously take the reins at 7 at a mid-tier team coming off a bad year, or, continue to ply his trade at a top 6 team where he can be relatively anonymous and there's no real pressure. If he takes the former option, he risks being exposed as a weak playmaker and his value plummets. The latter option is safer

I just don't see that ambition and drive in him. To me he looks comfortable, a bit like Joey Manu happily playing centre at the Chooks. He's then also a city and beach boy which puts the icing on the cake
I think given how **** Jakob Arthur has looked there’s no real threat there either, other than from nepotism.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Timbo wrote: September 13, 2021, 1:54 pm It's a sign of how dire things are looking for 2022 that I'm now hoping we sign Ash Taylor on the cheap and the change of scenery somehow inspires him to find another level for his game.

Everything I've seen of Dylan Brown makes it seem like he is the exact wrong player for us to put at halfback. But he's a big body who plays off the cuff, so he's the exact player that Sticky would want in that role so I've got no doubts we'll be saddled with him for three or so seasons commanding a sizable portion of our cap.
Yup.

I think most agree, of the options out there, Pearce ticks the most boxes for what we need.

Taylor and Brooks tick the next most, but have flaws that are well documented. They can GK too, Ash the more recognised, but still.

As of Nov 1, CHT joins the potentials on the shopping list. CHTs biggest issue seems to be staying on the pitch. The kid dubbed as the 2nd coming of SJ is living up to the fragility - if memory serves 80% of games in his rookie yr was his best season. However, I'd put him with the above 2 in regards to game play, and certainly the most willing defender of the 3. The better GKer of the 3 too.

Which brings us to Brown.... its a worry to me that Reed Mahoneys ball playing got better this yr, where Browns didn't. Moses plays the ARey role at Eels, but Browns 2 TAs and 1 more the other night, isn't the 30 TAs odd Cody Walker has. I haven't checked, but I'm guessing Latrell had similar numbers, if not better, than Guth in fewer games too. Meaninh Brown is 4th in the pecking order of that spine in all aspects. Brown is not the ball player of the 3 young-ish guys above. I saw him in Jrs, and he didn't do it there either. He isnt the general play kicker of those 3. Cant GK. Can tackle though (which excites Ricky), however, in the era of Vlandysball, scoring pts is more important that D from your halves. Yup, can run, and is quick, BUT so is Brooks; and he has other strings.

I really don't like it. I'd take the halves with 'warts', coz they have some ability to do the things I need for V'Landysball, at a much lower price too.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

The fretting going on in this thread is laughable...
You'd rather the status quo (Williams/Frawley) ? or semi retired/yesterday's hero's (Pearce, Taylor)? Instead of a young guy (50 FG games and still learning), great defender and support back up (with speed) who hasn't been allowed to shine at a basket case club like Parra...
Is Brown perfect? - Hell NO, but neither were Williams and Sezer.
Are we likely to find anyone else? Hell No.
The only trepidation I have round this deal is pairing him with Wighton...and that's because I firmly believe Wighton's best role for our team is edge backrow. I reckon the coach will eventually see that too (hopefully he gets some support staff who can help him out with our attack.
Otherwise, bring it on...hopefully for next season too.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

GreenMachine wrote: September 13, 2021, 4:56 pm The fretting going on in this thread is laughable...
You'd rather the status quo (Williams/Frawley) ? or semi retired/yesterday's hero's (Pearce, Taylor)? Instead of a young guy (50 FG games and still learning), great defender and support back up (with speed) who hasn't been allowed to shine at a basket case club like Parra...
The only trepidation I have round this deal is pairing him with Wighton...and that's because I firmly believe Wighton's best role for our team is edge backrow. I reckon the coach will eventually see that too (hopefully he gets some support staff who can help him out with our attack.
We know you love him. But rather than give us “the vibe” - how about you tell us where you think he has improved over those 50 FG games. He’s a flat out passenger, yet we will likely pay him to come here and be the man. Based on what????
GreenMachine
Jason Croker

Post by GreenMachine »

Rickmando wrote: September 13, 2021, 5:32 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 13, 2021, 4:56 pm The fretting going on in this thread is laughable...
We know you love him. But rather than give us “the vibe” - how about you tell us where you think he has improved over those 50 FG games. He’s a flat out passenger, yet we will likely pay him to come here and be the man. Based on what????
Not every player improves every season at a club they’ve been playing for.
Take a look at Wighton for a perfect example.
I’m saying, he’s better than what’s on offer elsewhere.
I’ve also been on record saying I’m happy to run our young halves because we’re not sniffing a premiership anytime soon and may as well play them and see where we are at..
Bigcheese
Glenn Lazarus
Favourite Player: The Volcano

Post by Bigcheese »

Wiki Special wrote: September 13, 2021, 12:44 pm
rolhai wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:30 am Brown also plays on the left in that eels team. Who would move to the right?

Brown has played both sides for the Eels so it would be him.

I'm still in the camp that this won't be as diabolical as most think. I think he'll be at least equal to Sezer in ability for us so obviously price point will determine whether he is a positive buy or not.

But I'll say it again - where were we when Hynes was available if Brown is the type of half we are targetting????
Hynes has a history of mental illness and he credits the beach and surfing for helping him overcome it. So do you think he’d go well in Canberra? The club were correct in not pursuing him.
zim
Laurie Daley

Post by zim »

Wiki Special wrote: September 13, 2021, 1:29 pm We released Williams around May 25, Hynes signed June 1. We could have thrown our hat in if we wanted.
Hynes being signed on June 1 (within the same week as Williams leaving) means those negotiations with the Sharks were well, well advanced. Maybe even signed without being announced. Any intervention by us would have only been used to push things with the Sharks until he signed there anyway.
Let's move on from hating the club for imagined missing out on players like Reynolds and Hynes that were already signed and never coming to play in our halves, and move on to hating them for maybe signing Ash Taylor.
TongueFTW
Dean Lance

Post by TongueFTW »

For people saying “Brown is better than Williams/Frawley” - yes, that is the case, but this is a crucial decision for the club over the next few years. A snap, short sighted decision to overpay someone puts the salary cap out for the next few years, which means we won’t compete in that time. If there aren’t any good options next year, far better to underpay and take a punt on someone who has less downside (still need to be careful, Norman has too much downside to even be worth a minimum wage contract).
Raider_Boy
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Pappa

Post by Raider_Boy »

TongueFTW wrote: September 15, 2021, 6:04 am For people saying “Brown is better than Williams/Frawley” - yes, that is the case, but this is a crucial decision for the club over the next few years. A snap, short sighted decision to overpay someone puts the salary cap out for the next few years, which means we won’t compete in that time. If there aren’t any good options next year, far better to underpay and take a punt on someone who has less downside (still need to be careful, Norman has too much downside to even be worth a minimum wage contract).
Absolutely... Norman is an absolute culture killer
Member #6381
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Yep Corey Norman can turn Yogurt into mud
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Brown goes up a rung.

Apparently the NRL Physio was talking about Ash Taylor on NRL 360 last night. He has a dodgey hip.

I think I'd stick a line through him at any price now. Not interested in busted players.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Since when does the NRL physio get interviewed on 360?
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

Coastalraider wrote:Since when does the NRL physio get interviewed on 360?
I’m guessing if you have to constantly listen to Hooper, Crawley, Kent and Rothfield week in, week out, you would want to change it up for your own sanity!
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

Eels star Dylan Brown ‘not going anywhere’

Parramatta’s star five-eighth Dylan Brown has hosed down rumours suggesting he could head to a rival club in 2023, declaring he’s “not going anywhere.”

Brown is contracted to the Eels until the end of 2022, with an option in his favour for 2023, but he can start negotiating with rivals from November 1.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 446daaba6a

I hope this is legit.
Brew
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: Blake Austin

Post by Brew »

Good news if true.

Just don’t think he is what we need at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In Ricky We Trust
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Yeah... not til 2023, when he is off contract :roflmao
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

That'd be a good outcome all round.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Brew wrote:Good news if true.

Just don’t think he is what we need at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agree Brew. Dont get the hype with this kid. Definitely not someone to break the bank for.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Brown went well tonight- I’ll allow it
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:21 pm Brown went well tonight- I’ll allow it
Really? I don't think he did enough. Parra had enough ball to win at the back end of that game, and also in the first half.

Good for a mid table team, not a top 4 team
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:26 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:21 pm Brown went well tonight- I’ll allow it
Really? I don't think he did enough. Parra had enough ball to win at the back end of that game, and also in the first half.

Yeah he wasn’t a super star but he wasn’t horrible. It’s a slim market- has he got improvement in him?
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Billy Walker wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:33 pm
Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 18, 2021, 10:26 pm

Yeah he wasn’t a super star but he wasn’t horrible. It’s a slim market- has he got improvement in him?
He wasn't horrible and had some good points. My point is - why doesn't he take on the line more and use his left foot step when the game is one the line. I think someone like Burton is a better player than him and has a good kicking game as well.

As to the market - it's all about price