Matt Frawley locks in one year contract extension with Green Machine

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Matt Frawley locks in one year contract extension with Green Machine

Post by greeneyed »

Half Matt Frawley set for a one year extension with Canberra Raiders

The Canberra Times is reporting that halfback Matt Frawley is "close to finalising" a one year extension with the Canberra Raiders.

The Raiders are scouring the market for a new No. 7, but the club is also looking to lock in the players who filled the vacancy left by the mid season release of English half George Williams - Frawley and Sam Williams - for next season. Both Frawley and Williams are only signed to the end of 2021.

Sam Williams reportedly agreed to terms for a one year extension back in mid July, but no official announcement has yet been made by the club.

Williams played 12 first grade games this year, but he was displaced by Frawley in the final two rounds of the season.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Re: Matt Frawley set for one year contract extension with Green Machine

Post by BadnMean »

Stupid to sign both.

Arguable who is the better backup. Sam more experienced mentor slightly better attacker, Frawley better defender and kicker.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Schneider must be miles off first grade if they are chasing a new half and have re-signed both back-ups.

Either that or they're not confident of signing anyone.

Gulp.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

We will but someone else before round 1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Mickey_Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Big Papa

Post by Mickey_Raider »

I see Frawley as a minor upgrade on Williams and a perfectly acceptable backup, squad filling 7.

He can at least defend and has proven that he has a reasonable kicking game. His bombs are actually threatening sometimes; and when given the opportunity he has at times shown that he has a short kicking game.

To that end I see signing him as your 3rd (or at worst) 2md choice half (if we can't sign anyone)— as absolutely fine.

I am sorry but we cannot re-sign Williams. He offers absolutely nothing aside from insipid defence and arguably even more insipid midfield "bombs" (they are more like chip kicks).

Signing both instead of just one is a bad sign for next year I think.
Up The Milk
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

Get rid of both. Not FG quality or back up. Prefer to sign a young player on the same salary

Williams cannot be signed. Worse than a park footballer but mates with Ricky so will get a job.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

I'd hope Williams would be outside the top 30 on his next deal. But then as others have said all he'll be doing is blocking an up and comer. If both are to be re-signed I'd say that indicates there's a good chance one starts 2022 as our first choice. If we had a contingency plan in place plus Schneider then signing both would be madness.
Last edited by Roger Kenworthy on September 4, 2021, 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Yep - move on Williams and Frawley sign a decent half, have Schneider as a short term back up with a view to going to market mid season if the number 1 half falls over or falls through like G Williams did. No point collecting duds
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Sign Frawley as a backup.

Have Schneider as a develeopment option.

Ask Williams for for his carpark pass back.

Sign literally anyone else as a starting half.

Fin.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Mickey_Raider wrote: September 4, 2021, 5:53 pm I see Frawley as a minor upgrade on Williams and a perfectly acceptable backup, squad filling 7.

He can at least defend and has proven that he has a reasonable kicking game. His bombs are actually threatening sometimes; and when given the opportunity he has at times shown that he has a short kicking game.

To that end I see signing him as your 3rd (or at worst) 2md choice half (if we can't sign anyone)— as absolutely fine.

I am sorry but we cannot re-sign Williams. He offers absolutely nothing aside from insipid defence and arguably even more insipid midfield "bombs" (they are more like chip kicks).

Signing both instead of just one is a bad sign for next year I think.
100% agree with all of this
Sam Williams has had his time filling this role and he's done so very admirably. At this stage given what Sam has put on the field this year, i think Frawley can slide into that #3 half role and you hope that you dont need him for any more than a 2-4 game stretch
There is legitimate reason to have one of these guys in the squad... two? Id rather that spot go to someone we're trying to develop, not a guy who will be 31 next year who has absolutely zero upside
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

See GE's post above. Interesting that no official announcement has been made by the Club about Sam Williams. To me that means nothing has been signed. Frawley is 'close to finalising' so no signature there either. The Club has the opportunity to retain one. Sam Williams performances in the back half of 2021 after George Williams left confirmed that he has too many weaknesses in his game to be an NRL half. I hope the club will provide opportunity for a younger player. Hopefully one we have already recruited and can develop into the role.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Ruben Daley wrote:Schneider must be miles off first grade if they are chasing a new half and have re-signed both back-ups.

Gulp.
He's played what.. 5 games out of flegg?

This last 2 years has screwed development big time

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I'd rather make an offer to Benji than resign either. Probably similar price.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

gergreg wrote:I'd rather make an offer to Benji than resign either. Probably similar price.
he'll no, Benji is a worse defender than Sam

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

-TW- wrote:
Ruben Daley wrote:Schneider must be miles off first grade if they are chasing a new half and have re-signed both back-ups.

Gulp.

He came from Townsville schoolboys, played in that 4 team Canberra cup last year and 6 or 7 nsw cup games this year.

Edrick The Entertainer
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

If we are rolling out Sam Williams come round 1 next year, I am officially done with this club and rugby league, and will concentrate on more fruitfull things, like watching plants grow.
This place is woke.
Off
Laurie Daley

Post by Off »

If sticky wants to keep Sam the great club man around the club keep him on as a fluffer.
This place is woke.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead wrote: September 5, 2021, 8:00 am
-TW- wrote:

Gulp.

He came from Townsville schoolboys, played in that 4 team Canberra cup last year and 6 or 7 nsw cup games this year.

He got almost half a season in NSW Cup… 11 games. But that’s not anywhere near enough for a young half.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... schneider/
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

bonehead wrote:
gergreg wrote:I'd rather make an offer to Benji than resign either. Probably similar price.
he'll no, Benji is a worse defender than Sam

Sorry just to be clear - I mean signing Benji as a backup half to replace the other 2 backup halfs.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
nachopants
Brett Mullins

Post by nachopants »

I wonder why we don't just move Sammy to the coaching staff, it's 80% of what he does anyway
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

To say we don't need Ash Taylor, Milford etc and then to re-sign these, well, it's just poor football judgement, simple as that
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

Canberra Milk wrote:To say we don't need Ash Taylor, Milford etc and then to re-sign these, well, it's just poor football judgement, simple as that
This

2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Dusty wrote: September 5, 2021, 10:47 am
Canberra Milk wrote:To say we don't need Ash Taylor, Milford etc and then to re-sign these, well, it's just poor football judgement, simple as that
This

Just no ambition I'm afraid, so sad :rant
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2021, 9:46 am To say we don't need Ash Taylor, Milford etc and then to re-sign these, well, it's just poor football judgement, simple as that
Yep. And we also needed to throw in a bigger offer for Hynes when that came up. Some terrible recruitment/retention decisions by us going into next year...
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 5, 2021, 10:59 am
Canberra Milk wrote: September 5, 2021, 9:46 am To say we don't need Ash Taylor, Milford etc and then to re-sign these, well, it's just poor football judgement, simple as that
Yep. And we also needed to throw in a bigger offer for Hynes when that came up. Some terrible recruitment/retention decisions by us going into next year...
Was trying to find out how long Don Furner has been CEO - my googling came up with nothing. We proudly hold up that he the longest serving most experienced CEO like longevity is all that matters. If we haven’t got to the top of the mountain under his watch by now…. At what point do we try something new?
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

greeneyed wrote: September 5, 2021, 8:47 am
bonehead wrote: September 5, 2021, 8:00 am
-TW- wrote:

Gulp.

He got almost half a season in NSW Cup… 11 games. But that’s not anywhere near enough for a young half.

https://www.nswrl.com.au/players/nsw-cu ... schneider/
Thanks, GE.

@TW, I wasn’t criticising Schneider, just observing that he mustn’t be in close consideration for NRL duties if the club intends to have three players ahead of him - one of them who should probably hang up the boots.

I was a bit surprised because he’d been given a debut (sort of), so I assumed he was moving up the ranks.

But I suppose we’ll have to see if the club does actually sign someone, who that is and how the club uses Sam (assuming he’s re-signed).
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

No of course, I was more stating it's going to be hard to the kid to be where he needs to be when he's not getting regular game time

Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

Milfords never coming back here and for the price of ash Taylor you can have Frawley and Williams and still have similar results. Can’t blame the club for those.
Haynes is an interesting one, play him FB? I’m still willing to give CNK a chance. 5/8? No, we have JW who will no doubt get some form in the near future. Centre? It’s a junk position these days and only the very poor will have a lot of their cap tied up there. The ? Will be if he can play outside the storm game plan and still get the same results.

My gut feeling is the club is waiting till the off season and make a trade with a carrot of Hodgson and a couple of our middles (of which we have too many)
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

Riaan wrote: September 5, 2021, 7:17 pm
Milfords never coming back here and for the price of ash Taylor you can have Frawley and Williams and still have similar results. Can’t blame the club for those.
Haynes is an interesting one, play him FB? I’m still willing to give CNK a chance. 5/8? No, we have JW who will no doubt get some form in the near future. Centre? It’s a junk position these days and only the very poor will have a lot of their cap tied up there. The ? Will be if he can play outside the storm game plan and still get the same results.

My gut feeling is the club is waiting till the off season and make a trade with a carrot of Hodgson and a couple of our middles (of which we have too many)
Not sure I'd describe Hodgo or any of our surplus middles as carrots at this stage of play :roflmao
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Benji ain’t coming here due to his third party media commitments and Hynes needs surfing for his mental wellbeing.

Milford May have been an option but I think it may have been a bridge too far.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:42 am
Was trying to find out how long Don Furner has been CEO - my googling came up with nothing. We proudly hold up that he the longest serving most experienced CEO like longevity is all that matters. If we haven’t got to the top of the mountain under his watch by now…. At what point do we try something new?
Took over the year before his brother became coach.... so 2008.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 5, 2021, 10:09 pm
Riaan wrote: September 5, 2021, 7:17 pm

Not sure I'd describe Hodgo or any of our surplus middles as carrots at this stage of play :roflmao
No, more like turnips or spuds
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

afgtnk wrote: September 6, 2021, 6:06 am
Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 11:42 am
Took over the year before his brother became coach.... so 2008.
That’s a generously long run without success!
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Nothing sticks to ol' Teflon Don. The definition of a protected species.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Sticky and Teflon - heaven help us