Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James to end 2023

Post by Matt »

If we let James, Sia and Lui go, so that we have space for Mooney, Rushton, Clay and Medlyn (I get the feeling that this is the order they are viewed too) to move up the depth chart, that has to be a good thing.

James was a gamble worth taking. Early doors it looked like a good gamble. But the rules and speed caught up to him very very quickly.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think we need either Sia or Lui paid towards minimum wage as an older head around the squad.

They both get a lot of positive comments from their teammates about their work ethic and player wellbeing support.

We had too many oldies in the forwards, but I don’t want to go the complete opposite.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

BJ wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:26 am I think we need either Sia or Lui paid towards minimum wage as an older head around the squad.

They both get a lot of positive comments from their teammates about their work ethic and player wellbeing support.

We had too many oldies in the forwards, but I don’t want to go the complete opposite.
If we keep one, it should be Lui, at least there's some prospect of him being a viable first grader again or doing a job if required to fill in.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

Whilst I wouldn't be completely against retaining Lui as I think he still has a bit to offer, aren't Papalii, Tapine, Whitehead and Hodgo decent 'older heads' in our forward pack? I think holding on to Lui for experience isn't necessary. If it is though deemed he is our 6th or 7th string front rower then okay I can cop that.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Raider47 wrote: September 22, 2021, 10:53 am Whilst I wouldn't be completely against retaining Lui as I think he still has a bit to offer, aren't Papalii, Tapine, Whitehead and Hodgo decent 'older heads' in our forward pack? I think holding on to Lui for experience isn't necessary. If it is though deemed he is our 6th or 7th string front rower then okay I can cop that.
Agreed
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Raider47 wrote:Whilst I wouldn't be completely against retaining Lui as I think he still has a bit to offer, aren't Papalii, Tapine, Whitehead and Hodgo decent 'older heads' in our forward pack? I think holding on to Lui for experience isn't necessary. If it is though deemed he is our 6th or 7th string front rower then okay I can cop that.
I think there’s certain senior players (often not the big names or captain etc) who squad members feel more comfortable in approaching for advice and support.

It’s the easy going blokes like Lui and Sia who seem good at this.

I could imagine the likes of Hodgson being a bit intimidating for some younger players.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

Yeah I'm not sure Papa and Taps have Sia's mindset in being focused on what value they can add to other players' development.

Happy to be wrong.
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James set to join Brisbane Broncos

Ryan James has agreed to a one year deal with the Brisbane Broncos, with an option for 2023, opening up a spot for Dunamis Lui. A couple of English Super League clubs have made offers to Lui, but he'd prefer to remain in Canberra.

Trey Mooney has been added to the top 30, while players like JJ Clarkson and Caleb Esera could possibly be the next to step up. Darby Medlyn's time with the club is possibly over.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

I wasnt a big fan of the signing, didnt think another middle was needed, and that was proven correct, and i personally dont rate James very high, bit a flat track bully imo'

but he came here with a great attitude and won me over as a person, sometimes these things just dont work out. Glad club and player could agree with that and move on amicably. I really do wish him all the best, he really impressed with me the way he went about things in his short time here.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Gold Coast Titans half Jamal Fogarty

Post by greeneyed »

OFFICIAL: Ryan James joins Brisbane Broncos for 2022

Experienced middle forward Ryan James has joined the Brisbane Broncos for the 2022 season. The 30-year-old has made 158 NRL appearances since debutin in 2010 for the Gold Coast where he played for a decade before moving to the Raiders for 2021.

Read more: https://www.broncos.com.au/news/2021/09 ... 1590402064
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Re: Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

Post by Seiffert82 »

Not sure what went on here. I thought he performed better than a large percentage of our middles and seemed to have a good attitude. Seems to have been something wrong behind the scenes.

Anyway, all the best to him. I'm glad he got to pull on the jersey of the club he grew up supporting. I thought he was a decent signing at the time.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

sprintman
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by sprintman »

Treated poorly. I bet he doesn’t hold back when we play the Bronc’s…
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Mulholland said he wasn't being re-signed past next year and the club offered him the chance for a contract closer to home.

Fair enough really, got pretty good depth with the kids in the forwards coming through

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

yeah i dont think there is very much in this at all

He is what another sport i follow would refer to as a progress stopper
That being he's not really good enough to move the needle for your football team and he's not a starter in your best line up, but he's still better than some of the younger guys you're trying to develop and so he takes opportunities away from their development. He's a progress stopper.

Id imagine that's how the club sees it
He sees himself as a player still capable of contributing at a high level in an NRL team... so it's best for all that they move on professionally, which is what has happened