Brisbane Broncos sign Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Re: Ryan James

Post by -PJ- »

Thomas Raider wrote: September 5, 2021, 5:09 pm Who's even looking at what Ryan is wearing? :nooo
No ones looking at Ryan let me tell ya..
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Thomas Raider »

-PJ- wrote: September 5, 2021, 5:18 pm
Thomas Raider wrote: September 5, 2021, 5:09 pm Who's even looking at what Ryan is wearing? :nooo
No ones looking at Ryan let me tell ya..
Whew i was worried there for a while :roflmao
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

You’re a bad man Thomas! :roflmao
Thomas Raider
Brett Mullins

Post by Thomas Raider »

Billy Walker wrote: September 5, 2021, 6:19 pm
You’re a bad man Thomas! :roflmao
Ohh Billy I certainly am :lol:
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Times reporting that Ryan James has been given permission by the Raiders to talk to other clubs, if he does move on, then Dunamis Lui might be retained. Also that there are four spots open in the top 30: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

I cannot access the article but I don't really understand that - if he stays, then Dunamis might be retained. Thought it would be the opposite.

To my knowledge, Ryan James is the only player asked to go elsewhere or look around. We finished 10th with a negative F&A of 100, with everyone tipping us to make the 8 and some top 4, some even tipped us to win it (Ben Ikin). So James is the scapegoat of this season ? I don't understand that we paid $400,000 for him, we had an abundance of middles, he played OK in the early games, then Ricky doesn't select him in the 17, and not at all towards the end of the season. If he does move on, I expect us to be paying half of his salary.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Post corrected. Does move on, was what I meant. So, if James leaves, the suggestion was Dunamis might get another contract. Dunamis on Instagram today saying he’s not leaving and wants to be playing in 2022.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

This is concerning stuff GE. I like Lui and think James had a fair dig but reality is neither are cracking the top 17 of a team that can’t give the top 8 a shake. If they were rookies with potential to improve you’d give them a go but both have topped out the limits of their ability. It’s hard to imagine a 2022 raiders team with either of these fellas in it going places.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Something going on that we're not privy to. James has hardly played for us this season despite his performances being decent for a guy coming off back to back knee reconstructions. Based on his limited game time I'd even rate him our 4th best middle forward behind Paps, Taps and Sutton. He was also very good for the Dogs in his 2 cameos.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2021, 7:50 am Something going on that we're not privy to. James has hardly played for us this season despite his performances being decent for a guy coming off back to back knee reconstructions. Based on his limited game time I'd even rate him our 4th best middle forward behind Paps, Taps and Sutton. He was also very good for the Dogs in his 2 cameos.
Possible he hasn't settled in Canberra/family doesn't love it. He was a long time at the GC.

Possibly also that we have a surfeit of fairly slow middles and he's just the one who releasing would free the most cap space on- he'd be on 150k more than Lui, possibly 200k more.
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

Reports consistently suggested Lui was on $250k, I would imagine Dunamis would move closer to minimum wage, which would be less than half Ryan James pay packet.

I’m not sure Canberra was a good fit for Ryan.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: September 8, 2021, 8:24 am
Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2021, 7:50 am Something going on that we're not privy to. James has hardly played for us this season despite his performances being decent for a guy coming off back to back knee reconstructions. Based on his limited game time I'd even rate him our 4th best middle forward behind Paps, Taps and Sutton. He was also very good for the Dogs in his 2 cameos.
Possible he hasn't settled in Canberra/family doesn't love it. He was a long time at the GC.

Possibly also that we have a surfeit of fairly slow middles and he's just the one who releasing would free the most cap space on- he'd be on 150k more than Lui, possibly 200k more.
Expect it's something like that. Reports at the time suggested he was on $350k. Whether it's a bit more or less is irrelevant as it would free more cap space than the value he brings. You would imagine another club is happy to take him on at that price so don't think we'll be paying any freight. Sharks would be an obvious landing spot considering they have a number of high price props coming off contract. If Fifita, Woods and Tolman were out the door they would gladly take on James at his current contract value.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

There is an article stating Ryan James is in talks with Brisbane . No money has been discussed yet but it also states the Raiders would release him if he can secure a longer contract.
Broncos released the young backrower to free up cap space and they are after an older head experienced frontrower
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Northern Raider wrote: September 8, 2021, 9:52 am
BadnMean wrote: September 8, 2021, 8:24 am

Expect it's something like that. Reports at the time suggested he was on $350k. Whether it's a bit more or less is irrelevant as it would free more cap space than the value he brings. You would imagine another club is happy to take him on at that price so don't think we'll be paying any freight. Sharks would be an obvious landing spot considering they have a number of high price props coming off contract. If Fifita, Woods and Tolman were out the door they would gladly take on James at his current contract value.
From all reports he'll wind up at the Broncos
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

LimeGreenMachine wrote:There is an article stating Ryan James is in talks with Brisbane . No money has been discussed yet but it also states the Raiders would release him if he can secure a longer contract.
Broncos released the young backrower to free up cap space and they are after an older head experienced frontrower
Which young backrower did they release? Robati and Riki look decent prospects.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
sprintman
Brett Mullins

Post by sprintman »

Treated shabbily but why?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

gergreg wrote: September 8, 2021, 3:44 pm
LimeGreenMachine wrote:There is an article stating Ryan James is in talks with Brisbane . No money has been discussed yet but it also states the Raiders would release him if he can secure a longer contract.
Which young backrower did they release? Robati and Riki look decent prospects.
Bullemor... we should have had another crack tbh
BJ
Steve Walters

Ryan James

Post by BJ »

Must be something negative we aren’t seeing about Bullemor. He seems to cover all the bases on paper and in his highlights. Only a few clubs have shown interest and Broncos haven’t given him much love.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

BJ wrote:Must be something negative we aren’t seeing about Bullemor. He seems to cover all the bases on paper and in his highlights. Only a few clubs have shown interest and Broncos haven’t given him much love.
Might be like the Walsh situation…. Too good to be retained!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

I suspect they just thought they had too many forwards... they do have a lot to be fair, Haas and co. And at the price he wanted they might have just thought it's better spent say saving for a fullback/hooker
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

BJ wrote: September 9, 2021, 5:32 pm Must be something negative we aren’t seeing about Bullemor. He seems to cover all the bases on paper and in his highlights. Only a few clubs have shown interest and Broncos haven’t given him much love.
From what comment I've seen it's because of his defense, and a couple of the other young guys coming through being more highly rated.
From what I've watched he does have some issues in defense. But he's a natural talent. Give him some time and you've got a good athlete in the middle. He suites the new ruleset.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

zim wrote: September 10, 2021, 11:38 pm
BJ wrote: September 9, 2021, 5:32 pm Must be something negative we aren’t seeing about Bullemor. He seems to cover all the bases on paper and in his highlights. Only a few clubs have shown interest and Broncos haven’t given him much love.
From what comment I've seen it's because of his defense, and a couple of the other young guys coming through being more highly rated.
From what I've watched he does have some issues in defense. But he's a natural talent. Give him some time and you've got a good athlete in the middle. He suites the new ruleset.
He is quick for a forward and very much so for a bigger frame like his.

His defence is a but wonky because of his union background I suspect- just not as strong in the tackle or used to movement/swift decisions with gaps instead of a crowd.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

Yeah I agree, it doesn't look like something you can't fix.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Brisbane Broncos confirm interest in Ryan James

Post by greeneyed »

Brisbane Broncos considering a two year deal for Canberra Raiders prop Ryan James

Brisbane Broncos football director Ben Ikin has confirmed the club's interest in Raiders prop Ryan James. They are considering offering him a two-year deal, with the potential for it to be resolved early next week. If Ryan James leaves, Dunami Lui could get a one-year extension.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

I would much prefer to keep Lui around.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

I don't think Lui offered much this season but as a 5th/6th prop he'll do.

Tapine, Papa, Sutton our best 3 props. Guler and Hors _should_ be the next 2 best if they aim up. Then Lui and juniors.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

BadnMean wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:22 am I don't think Lui offered much this season but as a 5th/6th prop he'll do.

Tapine, Papa, Sutton our best 3 props. Guler and Hors _should_ be the next 2 best if they aim up. Then Lui and juniors.
That's what it should be in terms of the order our Props would be. But, gee Guler and Hors really need to stand up next year. Hors is prone to some wildly dumb plays and I'm not sure there are too many less intimidating props than Guler in the NRL.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Wiki Special wrote: September 13, 2021, 8:27 am
BadnMean wrote: September 13, 2021, 6:22 am I don't think Lui offered much this season but as a 5th/6th prop he'll do.

That's what it should be in terms of the order our Props would be. But, gee Guler and Hors really need to stand up next year. Hors is prone to some wildly dumb plays and I'm not sure there are too many less intimidating props than Guler in the NRL.
Mooney, Rushton and Clay will be in the mix next yr too. Meaning Lui could find himself down the list in the 'Sia' all out of experience roll.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah I agree on both counts. Guler hasn't quite hit the standards he did in previous years and he could add more aggression to his game. Hors is EDIT and doesn't get himself fit- he's close to being chucked surely. We can all see that he does have potential- he hits hard he can force yards and has a few skills, he just gasses out and then makes dumb errors. Repeatedly.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:10 am

Mooney, Rushton and Clay will be in the mix next yr too. Meaning Lui could find himself down the list in the 'Sia' all out of experience roll.
We really need those guys to push up and star pressuring Hors and Guler imo- light a bit of a fire under them and may the best man win.

I'm half wondering if Ricky will make a play at Sims- Taylor, James... he does like a veteran punt buy.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:27 am
Matt wrote: September 13, 2021, 9:10 am

We really need those guys to push up and star pressuring Hors and Guler imo- light a bit of a fire under them and may the best man win.

I'm half wondering if Ricky will make a play at Sims- Taylor, James... he does like a veteran punt buy.
I think Sims for 2yrs would be a big plus. Can play edge or middle.

I still think Huddo is a lock/ middle, coz he has good leg speed for the modern game - we saw how good he was in our finals run last yr. We have seen he is lacking in the ball playing aspect of his game, and that might limit him on an edge. TBH, I see Huddo as a younger version of Sims - an enforcer/ bodyguard edge, or agile middle.

I still like Whiteys ball playing outside of Wighton, due to his lack of subltey. However, I dont want to see him playing 80 anymore. So Huddo/ Sims can play whatever remains in any given wk. Alternatively, we blood a Rusthton or Esra for low mins of the bench on the edge.
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

I find it odd that Ricky did not give Lui much game time this year after a very solid 2020.
Lui near that form is better than Guler or the Hors.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

1992 wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:03 pm I find it odd that Ricky did not give Lui much game time this year after a very solid 2020.
Because he was awful this year- shrug
BJ
Steve Walters

Post by BJ »

I think Lui himself admitted he wasn’t up to the speed of the V’landys ball game in 2021.

But Lui is more honest than most NRL players, a few other guys in our team such as Hors also weren’t up to fitness and speed with the game this season.

A few of our players blindly ignored their shortcomings this season. If I’m going to be honest, I need to include Papa and Tapine.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

1992 wrote: September 16, 2021, 7:03 pm I find it odd that Ricky did not give Lui much game time this year after a very solid 2020.
I see the CT is running a headline that Hors’ injury woes continue. I don’t get sense he is putting the work into his body he needs to. I say cut him loose.