2021 Highs and Lows: Rookie of the Year

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Who should be the 2021 Fans' Choice Rookie of the Year?

Elijah Anderson
No votes
Xavier Savage
11%
Brad Schneider
No votes
Harley Smith-Shields
33%
Matt Timoko
56%

Total votes: 18

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Players of the Year are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders Fans' Choice Rookie of the Year. Harley Smith-Shields and Matt Timoko made their debuts in 2020, but consistent with Dally M rules, they are still be eligible for Rookie of the Year in 2021. The other three debutants in 2021 will still be eligible in 2022. You have one vote in this poll.

The nominations are:

Elijah Anderson (Debut: 2021 Round 21 V Dragons)

Xavier Savage (Debut: 2021 Round 17 V Sea Eagles, three appearances, two official, one try, 10 tackle breaks, two line breaks, 121 running metres and three tackles per match, 69 per cent tackle efficiency)

Brad Schneider (Debut: 2021 Round 11 V Storm)

Harley Smith-Shields (Debut: 2020 Round 11 V Rabbitohs, two 2020 matches 2021 record: Seven appearances, three tries, two try assists, 24 tackle breaks, four line breaks, 124 running metres and seven tackles per match, 87 per cent tackle efficiency)

Matt Timoko (Debut: 2020 Round 16 V Bulldogs, two 2020 matches 2021 record: Nine appearances, two try assists, 33 tackle breaks, one line break, 111 running metres and 16 tackle breaks per match, 89 per cent tackle efficiency)

All the results: Click here

Note: Players are eligible for the Rookie of the Year in their debut season and the subsequent two NRL seasons. Once a player plays his fifth NRL Premiership match (or English Super League match), he becomes ineligible for the Rookie of the Year in any subsequent seasons.

Vote in all the polls:

Rookie of the Year
Best win
Worst loss
Best moment
Worst moment
Try of the Year
Tackle of the Year
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: 2021 Highs and Lows: Rookie of the Year

Post by Matt »

Savage looks to be the most exciting of the rookie prospects, but after 2 and a bit games its hard to give him the gong.

Im sure Timoko will be popular because of his barnstorming tackle breaking runs. I liken him to Matt Utai (those older NRL fans will know him), maybe Mahe Fonua minus the hair, basically a pocket rocket.

For me its HSS. He just looks class everytime he is out there. His defense is one of the best aspects IMO. Did a great job on Sivo, and help Rapa win that game on the siren. Was it the Manly game?, where we looked beaten, but rather than panic, he backed off and waited for support to arrive and made the play. He is quick enough that he often pokes his nose through the line. Has good footwork. While it was called back, he was the one in support with Jack against the Storm. Id have him as my left centre next yr.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I voted HSS. It is tough to separate Harley and Matt Timoko, and I guess that's why they shared the club award, but I have Harley just in front.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

I’m looking forward to watching Harley and Matt for years to come.

Both very exciting.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

I voted for Timoko but it was a toss-up between him and Harley. Xavage is the one who gets me most excited.

Regardless of who wins, this is a bumper crop of rookies. I seriously think Xavage, HSS and Timoko could all be long-term NRL players at a minimum but potentially stars.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

HSS had the best all round game imo. Savage is an excitement machine when running the football. However he was injured before we could see him in the big pressure games towards the end of the season. Timoko can sure break a tackle and beat an opponent. I want to see some team stability before judging him on his defence. A few games with Rapa to his right and CHN (and an NRL 7) to his left will show his defensive game in a more consistent light.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

RedRaider wrote: September 15, 2021, 7:00 am HSS had the best all round game imo. Savage is an excitement machine when running the football. However he was injured before we could see him in the big pressure games towards the end of the season. Timoko can sure break a tackle and beat an opponent. I want to see some team stability before judging him on his defence. A few games with Rapa to his right and CHN (and an NRL 7) to his left will show his defensive game in a more consistent light.
I think that's a fair summation. HSS just looks composed and quality in defence and attack, like he has time to make the right decision and enough physicality to effect it. Similar to an early era Cotric in that regard of getting most plays right, instinctively (just not quite at the same level of impact just yet- a bit faster possibly but a bit less powerful).

Timoko has that Utai, To'o strength + low centre of gravity tree trunk legs to power some yards out. His defence was notably better than Kris', by way of rookie comparison.

I voted Timoko in the end, but it was neck and neck with HSS. The latter might be more polished and skillful, but Timoko just had a few more games to show it. If HSS had played a few more games he might have pipped him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The polls will start closing from tomorrow, starting with this poll. Get in and vote if you haven't already.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34810&p=1831520#p1831520