Re: Canberra Raiders consider signing Tyrone Peachey

Post by FROG »

Why not. He let BJ be BJ? Why would Peachy be treated any different

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

dubby wrote:I'm a fan of Peachey.....if he's used correctly.

He's not a game manager. He's not your general.

He's an x factor.

Let him play off the cuff, and I really believe he's a dynamic player.

Burden him with responsibility? He ain't got time for that.

The real question is.....does our dour, robotic coach let Peach be Peach?

I highly doubt it
Why not. He let BJ be BJ? Why would Peachy be treated any different

BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

benda wrote: September 16, 2021, 4:22 pm I just read that Ricky confirmed Tryone is not a 7. So thats good news
Yeah I don't think he's signing a lock as a half.

Yes he has utility value, but if we want a mobile, ball playing lock then Peach does it 2x as good as Hodgo.

Only B Smith had better attacking #s at lock than Peach last season. He's under-rated by some but NSW rep for a reason.

No I don't think he's a top bracket as in superstar signing but if we get him, it's a good one imo.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Interesting one. When the Raiders have ever played against Peachey he's one of the players I fear when the opposition is chasing points, as he can create something out of nothing and can sniff out a half gap. However, when his team is in the lead I want the ball in his hand as much as possible as he's just as likely to implode or take an unnecessary risk.

Talented player with a few issues to manage. He would look good in a system which has a dominant halfback. You don't want him trying to overplay his hand too often.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

I think he’d be a great pick at 14.

He can cover a myriad of positions if there’s an injury and can also come on after 20 and play the creative 13 role.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Seiffert82 wrote: September 16, 2021, 6:26 pm Interesting one. When the Raiders have ever played against Peachey he's one of the players I fear when the opposition is chasing points, as he can create something out of nothing and can sniff out a half gap. However, when his team is in the lead I want the ball in his hand as much as possible as he's just as likely to implode or take an unnecessary risk.

Talented player with a few issues to manage. He would look good in a system which has a dominant halfback. You don't want him trying to overplay his hand too often.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk
Yup. He suits Vlandysball, but needs to work within a structure.
Dusty
Ruben Wiki
Favourite Player: Past:Daley
Present: Hodgson

Post by Dusty »

This is a no brainer as far as I am concerned and frankly that’s all that matters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2020: 1. Nicol-Klokstad 2. Cotric 3. Croker (c) 4 Leilua 5. Scott 6. Wighton 7. G. Williams 8. Papalii 9. Hodgson (c) 10. Sutton 11. J. Bateman 12. Whitehead 13. Tapine ----
14. Simmonson 15. Soliola 16. Guler 17. Horsburgh
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

Why has our recruiting gone from signing good quality up and coming players to signing whomever for whatever.

Even recently CHN was a great pick up.... since then it has been scraps.

I fear for our club if this is what we have become. Ricky was a great talent finder - but if he doesnt even do that we are in trouble.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

papabear wrote: September 17, 2021, 12:22 pm Why has our recruiting gone from signing good quality up and coming players to signing whomever for whatever.

I fear for our club if this is what we have become. Ricky was a great talent finder - but if he doesnt even do that we are in trouble.
Rest easy, we will end up signing no-one
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

papabear wrote: September 17, 2021, 12:22 pm Why has our recruiting gone from signing good quality up and coming players to signing whomever for whatever.

We haven't signed anybody from outside this year
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Raiders_Pat wrote: September 17, 2021, 12:59 pm

We haven't signed anybody from outside this year
Yeah, odd rant given our total lack of new recruits. It's been the complete opposite of "whomever for whatever".
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

As I've said before. Judge our recruitment in February. If we've signed no one then fine, I'd agree that mgmt has failed. However I suspect that the club is correctly considering all options before making a decision. Make no mistake, as other teams drop out of this competition other contracted players will become available and who knows maybe we might get lucky and land a stud. I think the club has done well to keep its nerve thus far. Whether I'm right will be determined sometime between now and march

BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Do you mean Peachey? His output as an attacking lock last season was outstanding... Among locks he was...
- equal #1 line breaks
- equal #3 line break assists
- #5 for tackle breaks
- #1 for try assists
- equal #1 for tries scored.

He drops down 1 place in -some- of those categories (but a few others he doesn't) if you include Brandon Smith as a lock, but he actually played vast majority at hooker this year.

Hardly any "anybody from anywhere". The game moved in his direction and he had a great season. He's played 3 origins. He'd be a fair pickup since our main focus is still a halfback.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

BadnMean wrote: September 17, 2021, 2:39 pm

Do you mean Peachey? His output as an attacking lock last season was outstanding... Among locks he was...
- equal #1 line breaks
- #5 for tackle breaks
- #1 for try assists

He drops down 1 place in -some- of those categories (but a few others he doesn't) if you include Brandon Smith as a lock, but he actually played vast majority at hooker this year.

Hardly any "anybody from anywhere". The game moved in his direction and he had a great season. He's played 3 origins. He'd be a fair pickup since our main focus is still a halfback.
Since he moved to lock it appears he's found his spot. Just not sure those stats are how he should be evaluated. There aren't a lot of locks around the NRL that would excel in stats that are more used to assess halves.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Northern Raider wrote: September 17, 2021, 3:17 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 17, 2021, 2:39 pm

- equal #1 line breaks
- #5 for tackle breaks
- #1 for try assists

Since he moved to lock it appears he's found his spot. Just not sure those stats are how he should be evaluated. There aren't a lot of locks around the NRL that would excel in stats that are more used to assess halves.
True. But they do speak to his ability as a ball playing/creative lock and attacking asset. Line breaks are handy from anywhere and reflect his mobility. The fact his numbers stack up against our playmakers in that regard highlight that.

I'm not saying they make him the best lock, but that they do indicate he is a good lock, who has exactly what we lack- a bit of creativity and ball playing. I'd be feeling better about our recruitment if we got him.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

The only guy we’ve signed since CHN that I can think of is Ryan James. I think he was an astute buy because we got him for cheap. Ricky went off him for some reason but that doesn’t diminish the signing.

Aekins was the only other but that was an emergency recruitment.

I think consensus last offseason was our squad was rounded and strong so we didn’t need recruits to compete for the premiership. Obviously, that didn’t turn out to be correct but I don’t think saying we’ve only signed scraps in the last year is actuate.

The club has recruited really well during the Ricky era. We need to pull off a couple of big signings now but, as FROG says, we need to judge the club by how the squad looks in Feb.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 17, 2021, 4:08 pm

The only guy we’ve signed since CHN that I can think of is Ryan James. I think he was an astute buy because we got him for cheap. Ricky went off him for some reason but that doesn’t diminish the signing.

I think consensus last offseason was our squad was rounded and strong so we didn’t need recruits to compete for the premiership. Obviously, that didn’t turn out to be correct but I don’t think saying we’ve only signed scraps in the last year is actuate.

The club has recruited really well during the Ricky era. We need to pull off a couple of big signings now but, as FROG says, we need to judge the club by how the squad looks in Feb.
He went off James coz the game has moved away from that kind of middle. Same reason we are off Sia and Lui.
GreenMachine
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by GreenMachine »

Yeah let’s judge our recruitment in February….when we’ll have the perfect excuse for either nobody being recruited or our recruits not spending enough time with our squad..

How hard is it for our club to try and be professional and organised for next season sooner rather than later?

It’s not like we’ve had a post season to prepare for..
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

GreenMachine wrote: September 18, 2021, 12:51 pm Yeah let’s judge our recruitment in February….when we’ll have the perfect excuse for either nobody being recruited or our recruits not spending enough time with our squad..

How hard is it for our club to try and be professional and organised for next season sooner rather than later?

The fact that they're waiting, tells me they want to have a right crack at someone available November 1. And you'd think it's likely to be Dylan Brown

If they can't get him, I expect they'll throw some money at whoever's left, probably Ash Taylor or Peachey
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

Matt wrote: September 17, 2021, 7:03 pm

He went off James coz the game has moved away from that kind of middle. Same reason we are off Sia and Lui.
I didn’t realise Ricky had picked up on that. His game plans certainly didn’t reflect it.

Also, he re-signed Sia.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki, J-Lo, Jordan Rapana

Post by Roger Kenworthy »

CHN a great pick up? Pretty poor ROI so far IMO. He only managed 15 matches this season and struggled to have any impact when we played the elite teams.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ruben Daley wrote: September 18, 2021, 3:18 pm
Matt wrote: September 17, 2021, 7:03 pm

I didn’t realise Ricky had picked up on that. His game plans certainly didn’t reflect it.

Also, he re-signed Sia.
There is nothing official on Sia BTW.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Roger Kenworthy wrote: September 18, 2021, 3:40 pm

CHN a great pick up? Pretty poor ROI so far IMO. He only managed 15 matches this season and struggled to have any impact when we played the elite teams.
Left an impression on Hughes. :lol:

106m, 37 tackles and a try vs Eels.
146m and 30 tackles vs Sharks.
146m and 42 tackles vs Chooks Rd12.
124m and 44 tackles vs Storm Rd11.

Came off the pine against a few of the bigger teams too. Given he is and edge playing middle for though, makes 'impact' tricky.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Oooof
Rog got some balls to pick from his net there.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Roger Kenworthy wrote:

Yeah I agree somewhat. He's being talked up as one of our best which is a huge worry for me. Some of his defence is poor. Over committing often - this improved as the season went on.

Those stupid brain snaps he had in a few games really cost us. He totally flipped in the 2nd Knights game for some reason and got into a running 'niggle' battle with Barnett and it was just stupid stuff after stupid stuff. Earlier in the year he was regularly pushing players around in the ruck after a tackle - and getting penalised.

Absolutely he had some good games and runs some nice lines but he still has a lot of areas of improvement.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

Matt wrote: September 18, 2021, 4:17 pm

Came off the pine against a few of the bigger teams too. Given he is and edge playing middle for though, makes 'impact' tricky.
Great numbers. Didn't help us much in those games vs the Storm and Roosters though as we got smoked in both, definitely better than I would have thought though.
Roger Kenworthy
Laurie Daley

gergreg wrote: September 18, 2021, 4:51 pm
Roger Kenworthy wrote:

Yeah I agree somewhat. He's being talked up as one of our best which is a huge worry for me. Some of his defence is poor. Over committing often - this improved as the season went on.

Those stupid brain snaps he had in a few games really cost us. He totally flipped in the 2nd Knights game for some reason and got into a running 'niggle' battle with Barnett and it was just stupid stuff after stupid stuff. Earlier in the year he was regularly pushing players around in the ruck after a tackle - and getting penalised.

Absolutely he had some good games and runs some nice lines but he still has a lot of areas of improvement.
Yeah he had a few stuff ups in the Rabbits game that we were right in early on. Offside on a kick chase and a couple of instances of ill discipline in the play the ball from memory. He was coming on stronger as the season progressed and then he got himself suspended at the business end.
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

Brent Read wrote in the Australian today that Peachey was offered to the Tigers and Raiders for $400k and neither club is "likely to meet those demands", but he can be had for less.

However he also says that with Campbell doing well at fullback Brimson is likely to move to 5/8 and Jamal Fogerty's "people" are therefore putting out feelers. Doesn't say who to.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Canberra Milk wrote: September 18, 2021, 2:10 pm
GreenMachine wrote: September 18, 2021, 12:51 pm Yeah let’s judge our recruitment in February….when we’ll have the perfect excuse for either nobody being recruited or our recruits not spending enough time with our squad..

The fact that they're waiting, tells me they want to have a right crack at someone available November 1. And you'd think it's likely to be Dylan Brown

If they can't get him, I expect they'll throw some money at whoever's left, probably Ash Taylor or Peachey
I think we might have enough room for a double dip there...
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 18, 2021, 4:17 pm

He had a decent season. Pass mark. Capable of more, would be the report card. Kinda like Joey in an off year (Raiders off, not Tigers off).
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Lui_Bon wrote: September 18, 2021, 5:40 pm Brent Read wrote in the Australian today that Peachey was offered to the Tigers and Raiders for $400k and neither club is "likely to meet those demands", but he can be had for less.

However he also says that with Campbell doing well at fullback Brimson is likely to move to 5/8 and Jamal Fogerty's "people" are therefore putting out feelers. Doesn't say who to.
Hopefully we are just sitting for a price drop. 300k is almost no risk. 400k is an investment.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

$400,000 is over paying, significantly.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by -PJ- »

greeneyed wrote: September 18, 2021, 6:40 pm $400,000 is over paying, significantly.
Exactly, I’ll do it for 280.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: September 18, 2021, 6:36 pm
Lui_Bon wrote: September 18, 2021, 5:40 pm Brent Read wrote in the Australian today that Peachey was offered to the Tigers and Raiders for $400k and neither club is "likely to meet those demands", but he can be had for less.

Hopefully we are just sitting for a price drop. 300k is almost no risk. 400k is an investment.
Fog is a much better prospect for what we are looking for. Right half. Good kicking game. Decent defender. GKer. Its deja vu, the 2nd opportunity to get "Sezer". He might even be better. Ricky get it done yesterday!