2021 Highs and Lows: Worst loss

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

What was the Canberra Raiders worst loss of 2021?

Round 5 V Eels
No votes
Round 7 V Cowboys
17%
Round 9 V Knights
No votes
Round 11 V Storm
No votes
Round 12 V Roosters
No votes
Round 15 V Dragons
No votes
Round 16 V Titans
61%
Round 20 V Knights
6%
Round 23 V Sea Eagles
No votes
Round 25 V Roosters
17%

Total votes: 18

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Every year, the readers of The Greenhouse vote on the highs and lows of the season just past. The Players of the Year are determined by the Fans' Choice voting, but all the other categories are determined by fan polls.

In this poll we are voting for the Canberra Raiders' Best Win of the Year. Sadly, the Raiders suffered 14 losses in 2021, often fading, big time, in the second half. If there is a win not nominated in the poll, please post your selection. You have one vote in this poll.

The nominations are:

Round 5 V Eels: Parramatta Eels 35 - Canberra Raiders 10. It was embarrassing. It was another big test for the Raiders against a real contender and again they did not pass. If the loss to the Panthers was a reality check, the loss to the Eels was a smack around the head.

Round 7 V Cowboys: North Queensland Cowboys 26 - Canberra Raiders 24. The manner of the loss... well it was simply very hard to take. The Raiders led 24-6 with three minutes to half time. Eighteen points. The Cowboys then scored an unanswered 20 points, keeping the Raiders scoreless for the rest of the game.

Round 9 V Knights. Newcastle Knights 24 - Canberra Raiders 16. Five losses in a row. That had not happened since the dark days of 2014. Another second half capitulation, one that seemed to happen every week. In the past five matches, the Canberra Raiders have scored eight points and conceded 93 in the second 40. The Raiders led 16-0 at half time. They did not score another point in the match, and conceded 24 unanswered points. This was a loss to a team that had been sitting in 11th place on the ladder. A team with a makeshift halves combination, that had been humiliated by the Roosters last week.

Round 11 V Storm: Melbourne Storm 34 - Canberra Raiders 10. Another second half fade from the Raiders. Another sorry loss. The Raiders scored two exciting tries from kicks in the opening quarter hour, among the best of the year from the Green Machine. They then did not score another point. The Storm scored two tries in the final five minutes of the first half to take a 12-10 lead to the break - and went on to score a total of 34 unanswered points.

Round 12 V Roosters: Sydney Roosters 44 - Canberra Raiders 16. It was a humiliating loss to the Roosters at Gosford, capping off a week from hell for the Raiders. Another horrible second half fade. The Raiders had players missing, big names like Josh Papalii, Joe Tapine, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad and Jarrod Croker. Half George Williams was released during the week, after he did not attend training and withdrew from this game. But the Roosters were even more affected by injury and suspension. The Raiders had won one match from their past eight matches. The only match they had won was against the last placed Bulldogs - by two points.

Round 15 V Dragons: St George Illawarra Dragons 22 - Canberra Raiders 20. More pain in a season full of pain. The Raiders got to a 20-8 lead early in the second half, and then the Raiders faded. Again. The game was played in an absolute gale. One high kick put up by the Dragons in the first half saw the ball blown backwards - behind the kicker. But it was the same gale for both teams. The Raiders led 14-6 at the break, and it was more than an eight point "breeze". The Dragons used the wind much more effectively in the second half, than the Raiders did in the first. And sure as eggs, the Dragons ran the Raiders down.

2021 Round 16. Gold Coast Titans 44 - Canberra Raiders 6. The Raiders produced one of their worst performances in many years in going down to the Titans at Canberra Stadium in Round 16. There was no other word for it, than diabolical. The Titans had their biggest ever win and equalled their highest ever points tally. It was the Raiders' biggest loss since the 54-12 drubbing at the hands of the Warriors in Auckland back in 2014. The Titans came into the match sitting in 13th place on the competition ladder. The effort was not there. Too many players showed little enthusiasm and a lack of pride in the jersey.

Round 20 V Knights. Newcastle Knights 34 - Canberra Raiders 24. It was a must win match for the Raiders, but they could not get the job done. The Knights came ready to play, and the Raiders did not. They were as flat as a tack, and before they knew it, they were trailing 18-0. The Raiders completely lacked the determination and intensity in defence that they showed in the win over the Eels.

Round 23 V Sea Eagles: Manly Sea Eagles 19 - Canberra Raiders 18. As the old cliche goes, it was a game of two halves. The Raiders led 12-0 at half time, but the second forty belonged to the Sea Eagles. They scored 19 unanswered points in the 39 minutes after the break. In the end it was three tries apiece, with the Raiders scoring a try in the final minute to close the gap to just a point. But by then, the game had already been effectively sealed by a Daly Cherry-Evans field goal. It was far too much to expect that Jordan Rapana could score a two point field goal with two seconds remaining. It was the seventh time the Raiders have led by 10 points or more this season, and failed to win.

Round 25 V Roosters: Sydney Roosters 40 - Canberra Raiders 16. With their season on the line, the Canberra Raiders saved one of their worst performances of the year for their last. The Roosters had been ravaged by injury this season, but compared to the Raiders, they looked like world beaters. It was a contest in the early stages, with the Raiders taking a 12-6 lead at the 20 minute mark. It was all downhill from there. The Raiders did not score again until a consolation try for Harley Smith-Shields in the 78th minute. The Raiders produced error after error, bombing their own chances and handing them to the Roosters. Turnovers and penalties meant the the Raiders had little possession - and you can't win football games without the football.

All the results: Click here

Vote in all the polls:

Rookie of the Year
Best win
Worst loss
Best moment
Worst moment
Try of the Year
Tackle of the Year
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: 2021 Highs and Lows: Worst loss

Post by greeneyed »

I considered including the Round 3 loss to the Warriors in the poll, given the big lead sacrificed... but the Raiders suffered a massive injury toll in the first half... and the NRL admitted one Warriors try should have been disallowed, and the Raiders lost by three points. I included the one point loss to the Sea Eagles, because it was so disappointing to go down so narrowly... and it was another poor second half. But really, they played pretty well in comparision to some other games.

There were some pretty bad losses and performances on that list, but I think the loss to the Titans and the final round loss to the Roosters stand above them all. I went for the Roosters game, as the season was on the line, and then produced a very poor game all round.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

That Titans game would be up there as the worst of the decade, if not ever. Horrific performance.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I went for the loss to the Cowboys. When we had such a big lead and still had GWilly and Hodgo and Jack in spine positions. Starling had a very good game as well. Aekins proved he was not an NRL fullback in this match but in reality too many players had put the queue in the rack early. The opposition did not make the final series for good reason. Some blamed our physical fitness for this loss but I think it was sheer complacency which threw away 2 competition points. These two competition points lost would have been very handy at the end of the Premiership rounds. With some of our big losses the opposition was just too good. In this game we threw it away.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Sadly, Red, one of a number that could have been won... :( :( :(
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

So true GE. We gave up what should have been winning leads for a competitive motivated NRL side. We proved to be faders far too often in Season 2021. There was a press conference where Sticky shrugged his shoulders and said words to the effect that if he knew the answer to the fading problem he would fix it. I don't think he was on top of the issue even up to the end of the season when we disintegrated against the Chooks in our final match which was a must win. Too many players went on to the field disinterested. If the Coach can't get the squad up for a game like that, I doubt he ever will.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

None of them were bad losses guys… it was just the bounce of the ball. I’ve never seen a team be as unlucky as we were in 2021
Lui_Bon
Jason Croker

Post by Lui_Bon »

If I'd been at the Titans game I would have walked out. Luckily it was the game that I chose not to attend. At home at least it wasn't cold. Apart from the atmosphere.
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Northern Raider »

Some of the beltings in there I don't regard as bad losses. They were games we were never really in so I'm ignoring some of the **** shows like Titans and Roosters losses.

It's the games we should have won but threw away. Worts one in my mind is Cowboys. We were all over them and realistically should have rattled up 40+. Instead we took the foot off the pedal and gave up a certain victory. IMO this is the one game that cost us a finals spot.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

I feel like GWilly was our worst loss this season- all went to custard after that.
Rickmando
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Ricky Stuart

Post by Rickmando »

There must be a real alpha masochist among us… I challenge someone to watch the press conferences following all those losses and catalogue all of Rick’s various excuses for the results. Blaming everyone and everything except himself for producing one of the most insipid seasons of rugby league I can remember.
afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Easily the Titans game. Absolutely disgusting display
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

afgtnk wrote:Easily the Titans game. Absolutely disgusting display
Easily, I said even before the scrum had packed that the Titans would score on that play.

Sure enough Fogarty picks the ball up and runs past Sam Williams untouched

Lucky I was in a club at the time not at home or at the ground.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

I must have mentally blocked out that Titans game. I vaguely remember a number of appalling performances but for the life of me I can't recall the specifics. Almost the whole season was a writeoff.

For that reason our final capitulation against the Roosters takes the cake.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Joseph 'the worm' Tapine

Post by 1992 »

Titans.
Copping three tries in about ten minutes from a team with one of their best in the bin sums up season 2021.
This will be 2017-18 all over again.
WHAT A LONG STRANGE TRIP IT'S BEEN
Westsydneyraider
Alan Tongue
Favourite Player: Brett Mullins

Post by Westsydneyraider »

Titans game for sure, that was a disgrace
Shiv
Peter Jackson

Post by Shiv »

I was at the Titan's game.
First Game I ever took my 75 year old mother to.
It was not a good game.
She was even asking if we could leave early.
We didn't. We sucked up the pain.
The Members behind me openly switched to supporting the Titans - fairly sure up until that match they were Raiders fans.
Worst.
Loss.
(probably ever)
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Poll declared. All the results so far: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=34810
Walter
David Grant
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Walter »

Yep I was another sucker who went to the Titans game :( Before leaving early my boys and I were reduced to laughing about the performance and making outlandish bets on which plays the Titans would score from - many!