Canberra Raiders take multi-million-dollar hit due to NRL Gold Coast relocation

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Canberra Raiders have taken another multi-million-dollar hit following the relocation of the Green Machine for the final eight rounds of the season. Raiders chief executive Don Furner said it had been a double whammy, with their licenced clubs, closed due to lockdown, also taking a hit.

"A lot of money. I haven't done the full analysis, because we're working through with members in terms of those that want a refund," Furner said. "But it's in the millions - similar to last year."

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders take multi-million-dollar hit due to NRL Gold Coast relocation

Post by greeneyed »

NRL relief package doesn't cover Canberra Raiders' financial hit

It's a welcome boost, but the Canberra Raiders will still take a financial hit despite the NRL's relief package. The Raiders will get $400,000 from the NRL for the four home games they lost due to their relocation to the Gold Coast for the final two months of the 2021 season.

"No it doesn't cover everything, but it all helps. You've just got to wear the loss and move on," Don Furner said.

Read more: https://www.canberratimes.com.au/story/ ... /?cs=14239

NRL clubs get extra $7 million in funding: https://7news.com.au/sport/rugby-league ... -c-3983432
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Re: Canberra Raiders take multi-million-dollar hit due to NRL Gold Coast relocation

Post by Billy Walker »

So the Storm has announced all 2020 and 2021 members will receive free memberships next year in appreciation for them sticking by the club through Covid times. Nice gesture!

Whenever I have questioned the economic sense of some of the contracts we will likely need to take a hit on through medical retirements, Botman has told me we have very deep poker machine fed pockets and money is not an issue for us.

So do we expect a similar announcement around 2022 Memberships?
RTW
David Furner
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by RTW »

Billy Walker wrote:So the Storm has announced all 2020 and 2021 members will receive free memberships next year in appreciation for them sticking by the club through Covid times. Nice gesture!

Whenever I have questioned the economic sense of some of the contracts we will likely need to take a hit on through medical retirements, Botman has told me we have very deep poker machine fed pockets and money is not an issue for us.

I would think Storm fans missed out on significantly more home games then Raiders. So no, can’t see us making the same announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

RTW wrote:
Billy Walker wrote:So the Storm has announced all 2020 and 2021 members will receive free memberships next year in appreciation for them sticking by the club through Covid times. Nice gesture!

I would think Storm fans missed out on significantly more home games then Raiders. So no, can’t see us making the same announcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Without having any figures I'd assume they had a heap of bandwagon fans (Qld) that jumped on board this year and last. It is probable that they play most home games in Melbourne next year so they're not losing a huge amount with this offer. Nice gesture though.
Shoving it in your face since 2017