Canberra Raiders' Joe Tapine still considering COVID vaccine options

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Re: No vaccination no play in Victoria for Canberra Raiders

Post by Botman »

I haven't look at any data but my guess would be that most people get vaccinated to avoid contracting a potentially very bad disease, and probably more importantly, to limit their risks of them passing this disease on to vulnerable person in their life.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Ahhh yes, that's why almost everybody you speak to re: vaccination says they got vaccinated so they could travel or see family etc.

And why those who reluctantly got it done cited their job.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by hrundi89 »

wHaTeVeR bAsIs
You may remember me from such forum usernames as hrundi99 and... hrundi99.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Hey I don't hate anti-vaxxers. I just feel sorry for them...
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

Yeah that reminds me. I had to get shots to go to Colombia. You know, the rules, and so I had less chance of getting ill from mozzie bites etc.

I could have chosen not to go to Colombia but my brother would have been pissed off that i missed his wedding.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

:lol: hang this thread in the Louvre
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Im curious now, Pat

What would you have had the world do instead of mass lockdowns and vaccinations?
Let it run free and let nature take its course?
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:49 pm Im curious now, Pat

What would you have had the world do instead of mass lockdowns and vaccinations?
Yes - exactly right. It's weird to me that this is so controversial. We should have made the vaccine as widely available as possible, we shouldn't have banned doctors from prescribing other treatments which have now shown to be beneficial and we should have never locked down. It's quite simple.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raiders_Pat wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:51 pm

Yes - exactly right. It's weird to me that this is so controversial. We should have made the vaccine as widely available as possible, we shouldn't have banned doctors from prescribing other treatments which have now shown to be beneficial and we should have never locked down. It's quite simple.
And so how many million lives are worth avoiding a temporary restriction of your "freedom's"?

10 million? 15 million?
Is there a line you draw at all, or do you think simply lack any regard for human life? Any number is fine because you probably wont die and millions of deaths are not as inconvenient to you as a temporary lockdown
Last edited by Botman on October 15, 2021, 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

other treatments which have now shown to be beneficial
Like what?

There are nearly 5 million dead with vaccines/lockdowns. How many would you have been ok with just so you didn't have to use a vaccine passport?
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

So you'd be happy for the hospital systems to be overwhelmed with people who chose not to get vaccinated at 30/40/50%?

That seems like extremely poor public health management considering the DATA shows that between 3-5% of hospitalisations are fully vaccinated, so 95%-97% aren't.

So someone with liver failure, renal failure etc has to die because the hospital is flooded with people who wanted to enforce their right to choose?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

You know there are several countries that never really locked down and never introduced any ridiculous government mandates... and their countries didn't suffer significantly worse than others as a result. People weren't dropping off in large numbers and they weren't turning people away from the hospital in droves. In fact, these countries did much better than the UK, Israel and the like who have been quite insane with the authoritarianism.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:55 pm

And so how many million lives are worth avoiding a temporary restriction of your "freedom's"?

10 million? 15 million?
Is there a line you draw at all, or do you think simply lack any regard for human life? Any number is fine because you probably wont die and millions of deaths are not as inconvenient to you as a temporary lockdown
You are led to believe that locking down and enforcing vaccination saves lives. There is very little data to support that.
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:57 pm So you'd be happy for the hospital systems to be overwhelmed with people who chose not to get vaccinated at 30/40/50%?

That seems like extremely poor public health management considering the DATA shows that between 3-5% of hospitalisations are fully vaccinated, so 95%-97% aren't.

So someone with liver failure, renal failure etc has to die because the hospital is flooded with people who wanted to enforce their right to choose?

Where did you find that incredibly inaccurate data on hospitalisations? The US?
hrundi89
Brett Mullins

Post by hrundi89 »

I'm reminded of the Seinfeld clip/meme with him at the theatre getting up and deciding to leave.

He is me.

I get enough of this delusion from my mother in law. I've had enough.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

edit ahh forget it
Im here to enjoy this **** show, not engage in it :lol:
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 2:08 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote: October 15, 2021, 2:00 pm
Botman wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:55 pm

10 million? 15 million?
You are led to believe that locking down and enforcing vaccination saves lives. There is very little data to support that.
What? There is a ton of data and evidence to support that

a) lockdowns helps stop the spread of covid 19, albeit they had to be hard and fast because you couldnt play catch up once it got a foot hold in
and
b) vaccines have proven to significantly reduce the hospitalisation and death rates of COVID

the **** are you talking about, my guy?
When you compare worldwide data, there is not a significant difference in outcome for those that introduced hard lockdowns and those that didn't. Closing off borders works if you don't have COVID spreading already within that country/jurisdiction. But very little to suggest lockdowns work.

Vaccines have not proved to reduce death rates and hospitalisations. If that were the case, we wouldn't have a situation where hospitalisations and death rates are rising to levels higher than we've ever seen in this pandemic in countries with high vaccination rates.
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

Raiders_Pat wrote:
-TW- wrote: October 15, 2021, 1:57 pm So you'd be happy for the hospital systems to be overwhelmed with people who chose not to get vaccinated at 30/40/50%?

It indicates 4654 people were hospitalised due to COVID-19 from the beginning of the outbreak in June until that time, of which around 9% (441) were treated in ICU.

Of the total admitted to hospital, 153 (3.3%) were confirmed as fully vaccinated, while 844 (18.1%) were partially vaccinated and the rest (3657) were unvaccinated, or their vaccination status was unable to be established

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... ths-and-ic

I mean you could do some research

Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

hrundi89 wrote: October 15, 2021, 2:05 pm I'm reminded of the Seinfeld clip/meme with him at the theatre getting up and deciding to leave.

He is me.

I get enough of this delusion from my mother in law. I've had enough.
You never provided anything with substance in the first place...
Raiders_Pat
John Ferguson

Post by Raiders_Pat »

-TW- wrote: October 15, 2021, 2:14 pm
Raiders_Pat wrote:

It indicates 4654 people were hospitalised due to COVID-19 from the beginning of the outbreak in June until that time, of which around 9% (441) were treated in ICU.

Of the total admitted to hospital, 153 (3.3%) were confirmed as fully vaccinated, while 844 (18.1%) were partially vaccinated and the rest (3657) were unvaccinated, or their vaccination status was unable to be established

https://www1.racgp.org.au/newsgp/clinic ... ths-and-ic

I mean you could do some research

You may be surprised to find that those percentages have rapidly shifted since then. You may also be surprised to find out that the vast majority of hospitalisations in Israel are amongst fully vaccinated - 85-90%
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

What's your source? That seems like a lie

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

The Administrators have had to do some heavy moderation of this thread. We have had posts reported due to their nature... and because there has been extensive quoting of the reported posts, there has probably been some rough justice in the moderation. We apologise for that. We understand that this is a sensitive topic with significant differences of views. But please make sure that the site guidelines are followed. Please don't make posts which might be offensive on the basis of race or religion or to minority groups, which involve personal abuse of others, or which are inaccurate.

The thread has gone way beyond the issues involving the Raiders and rugby league. Can we suggest that if there are general points people want to make about coronavirus, there is a thread on the Current Affairs board.
Riaan
John Ferguson

Post by Riaan »

You just know this guy will spend the rest of his life screaming at hospitality workers :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
-TW-
Mal Meninga

Post by -TW- »

EDIT.

Nowhere in my search has found an 85-90% hospitalisation rate.

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I think we'll put a lock on this one. If you wish to discuss coronavirus more generally, there is a thread on the Current Affairs board.
LimeGreenMachine
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Canberra Raiders won't terminate contracts of unvaccinated players

Post by LimeGreenMachine »

NRL Covid vaccine policy: Legal battles loom between clubs and players

NRL clubs are believed to have taken legal advice over their power to sack players who refuse to be vaccinated.

Canberra is edging towards an 80 per cent vaccination rate with the club facing issues with two players who, to date, are unwilling to be vaccinated. The Raiders ability to commence pre-season training isn’t as stringent as their NSW-based rivals. Under ACT government health orders, the Raiders are permitted to train on the field and in their gym, with up to 25 people in each outdoor space or one person per four square metres. The first wave of NRL players back to training are Harley-Smith Shields, Xavier Savage, Matt Timoko, Trey Mooney and Sebastian Kris on November 8.

Read more: https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport ... b078c56e50
Schifty
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Josh Hodgson

Re: Canberra Raiders edge towards 80 per cent COVID vaccination rate

Post by Schifty »

Bit worrying it's still only 80% seeing as we've now had a solid few weeks of walk ins being available for all three different vaccines.

If they haven't got it yet I don't have much hope of them getting jabbed.
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

At this point we all know who the two who are refusing the vaccine are.

I hope for their sake and ours they are able to obtain medical exemptions, otherwise we will be very light on middle forwards for part of the season.

Sent from my SM-N986B using Tapatalk

Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I personally hope they DONT get medical exemptions
If that means they cant play footy for the Raiders, so be it... there are issues at play here more important than footy.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: October 27, 2021, 8:52 pm I personally hope they DONT get medical exemptions
If that means they cant play footy for the Raiders, so be it... there are issues at play here more important than footy.
I share this view
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Botman wrote: October 27, 2021, 8:52 pm I personally hope they DONT get medical exemptions
Agree, 80% of 30 is 24 so that means there are 6 players still not jabbed based on a top 30

IF 6 players get medical exemptions that means we have an abnormally high number of eligible exemptions , thus meaning footy players are getting special treatment again

These are the same guys who would happily take protein supplements, pain killing jabs to keep playing etc, and hopefully not recreation drugs but say no to a jab that every teacher, nurse, doctor, woolies worker etc has to have to earn a lot less.

I am honestly extremely disappointed in the NRL for
1. Not having the balls to say no jab no play but forcing the clubs to argue with the players

2. Not being part of the public campaign to get everyone jabbed, they have been so so so so lucky being able to still play for 2 seasons, flying across borders shut to everyday aussies wanting to see family, dying relatives etc and earn money when many others haven't.
The music industry is up there promoting getting jabbed, so is the tv industry
Where is the sporting industry?

It feels like to me Vlandys is turning the NRL into the horse racing industry, all about the money and not about the community , being leaders in society for stuff like equality, alchol abuse, dv, etc. Thats not what footy is about!
Vaccinated
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Very well said Cat! Hope you’ve been keeping well.
cat
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Dane Tilse

Post by cat »

Billy Walker wrote: October 27, 2021, 9:41 pm Very well said Cat! Hope you’ve been keeping well.
I'm great thanks Billy, enjoying the freedoms and confidence of being double jabbed 😀
Hope you're well too!

And by the way its not just the NRL I'm critical of in terms of supporting the vaccine push. Where are the AFL , ALeague ,cricket etc ?
Sportsmen probably had it easier then most people during this time, yes moving away to qld had its challenges but a lot less then those stuck at home not able to work or leave a 5km radius!
There is a huge challenge in remote Indigenous communities in NT and I would presume other states who are taking advice from ticktok instead of their regional health services in regards to vaccination. I know its also been a problem in inner Sydney such as Redfern
Adam Goodes, Latrell Mitchell etc showing them they are vaxxed and why they should do it would really make a difference .
Rightly or wrongly these guys are idolised by these communities and what they say is really listened to

Same goes for the Islander communities

I watched the Australian Story on dr rafi who pretty much single handedly vaccinated belmore and surrounding suburbs. He is a leader in his community and was able to convince many vaccine resistant people to get the vax, remembering the Islamic community were very nervous about the vaccine to start with

Sports people have the ability to spread the truth and debunk ticktok and make a difference, help the front line workers out meaningfully.
Vaccinated
FuiFui BradBrad
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Phil Graham

Post by FuiFui BradBrad »

cat wrote:
Billy Walker wrote: October 27, 2021, 9:41 pm Very well said Cat! Hope you’ve been keeping well.
I'm great thanks Billy, enjoying the freedoms and confidence of being double jabbed Image
Hope you're well too!

And by the way its not just the NRL I'm critical of in terms of supporting the vaccine push. Where are the AFL , ALeague ,cricket etc ?
Sportsmen probably had it easier then most people during this time, yes moving away to qld had its challenges but a lot less then those stuck at home not able to work or leave a 5km radius!
There is a huge challenge in remote Indigenous communities in NT and I would presume other states who are taking advice from ticktok instead of their regional health services in regards to vaccination. I know its also been a problem in inner Sydney such as Redfern
Adam Goodes, Latrell Mitchell etc showing them they are vaxxed and why they should do it would really make a difference .
Rightly or wrongly these guys are idolised by these communities and what they say is really listened to

Same goes for the Islander communities

I watched the Australian Story on dr rafi who pretty much single handedly vaccinated belmore and surrounding suburbs. He is a leader in his community and was able to convince many vaccine resistant people to get the vax, remembering the Islamic community were very nervous about the vaccine to start with

Sports people have the ability to spread the truth and debunk ticktok and make a difference, help the front line workers out meaningfully.
AFL’s No Jab, No Play policy

https://www.afl.com.au/news/685424/no-j ... policy/amp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Feel free to call me RickyRicky StickStick if you like. I will also accept Super Fui, King Brad, Kid Dynamite, Chocolate-Thunda... or Brad.

Nickman's love of NSW
  • NSW has done a superb job - 18/12/2020
  • NSW has been world-class with their approach to date, that's a fact. - 04/02/2021
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley

Post by Billy Walker »

Yeah I was going to say the AFL has come out strongly on the issue. In my view the AFL shows strong leadership on a lot of these social issues and clubs enjoy bigger and more diverse membership and supporter bases as a result.