All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Canberra Raiders interested in Tom Hazelton

Post by UncleDrew »

Tug of war between Sharks and Raiders over Tom Hazelton

Cronulla and Canberra are fighting a two-way battle for giant young prop Tom Hazelton. A 22-year-old from Goulburn, Hazelton has played the last couple of seasons for the Sharks' feeder club Newtown.

At 198 cm and 114 kilos, Hazelton is the ideal size for the modern day front-rower and was a standout in the NSW Cup before COVID brought the competition to a halt.The prop played a couple of first grade trials for the Sharks at the start of the year and just missed getting graded.

Read more: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/the-mole-t ... 8e4d8fb2f7

Mole linking us with a nsw cup prop, good to see we are chasing NRL talent… :thumbsdown
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Re: Raiders player signing speculation 2021

Post by Matt »

You need depth, and a few min wage contracts. If we are losing Sia, James, Lui and we have lost Havili, a dirt cheap middle is probably ok.
However, I agree with the sentiment RE no major signings yet - 10 more days til Nov 1.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson

Post by UncleDrew »

I feel like we aren’t even prioritising a halfback right now, feels like it’s been put on the back burner and we will continue sitting on our hands. Middle forward depth is always nice, but not what we want to read about right now.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Re: Canberra Raiders interested in Tom Hazelton

Post by greeneyed »

bonehead
Laurie Daley

Post by bonehead »

socks down, head taped fronty, get him in

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Edrick The Entertainer
Green_Hammock
Bradley Clyde
Favourite Player: Rapana, Campese

Post by Green_Hammock »

We need some depth, so I don't mind this at all.

I agree with others though, it'd be nice to sign some actual NRL players.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

With Havili, James, Soliola and Lui all being possibly on the outer these younger singings are good and necessary.

I imagine the club are working on a 7 behind the scenes. Wouldn't be surprised if after November 1 there is more movement/talk on the 7 front. Perhaps us pushing for an early release for a CHT, Pearce or Brown.
Green Blogger
Simon Woolford
Favourite Player: Josh Papalii

Post by Green Blogger »

Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:39 am You need depth, and a few min wage contracts. If we are losing Sia, James, Lui and we have lost Havili, a dirt cheap middle is probably ok.
However, I agree with the sentiment RE no major signings yet - 10 more days til Nov 1.
You seem to have skipped the month of October.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

It might just be the receding hairline and the tape but getting Barnhill vibes from Hazelton.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Green Blogger wrote: September 21, 2021, 10:25 am
Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:39 am You need depth, and a few min wage contracts. If we are losing Sia, James, Lui and we have lost Havili, a dirt cheap middle is probably ok.
You seem to have skipped the month of October.
Nooooooooooooooooooo....... not 40 days. :cry:
Lockdown life, I cant remember what day of the week it is.
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Green_Hammock wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:54 am We need some depth, so I don't mind this at all.

I agree with others though, it'd be nice to sign some actual NRL players.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
He's only 22 and a prop. He actually looks like an NRL player to me- be surpirsed if he didn't make it. Decent mobility and makes yards. If he replaces James, or Sia or Lui I think we'd be winning that trade. (James is ok, but we might save a bit of cap) Hors and Guler need some motivation...

I also think our squad is stale and a club honestly needs to bring in 5 new faces into the 30 most years. Every time we haven't done that, we've stagnated the next season. Just some new faces are needed and he looks ok.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Don’t know him - is he athletic enough for the new game? He is a very large human, and Shannon Boyd and others have shown the pace of the game requires more than size. Has he got the tank, pace and agility for the modern game?
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson

Post by UncleDrew »

Our recruitment has been poor the last couple of years, for 2021 especially. We were caught out by the new rules and took in an ageing/slow squad only adding Aekins, James and Rushton who all did not set the world on fire. We need fresh blood and NRL talent, while I don’t think this would be a bad signing, it’s not one to give us hope that 2022 will be any different to 2021.
Wiki Special
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Ruben Wiki

Post by Wiki Special »

I hope we sign him from what I have seen - albeit only one full game and the above highlights. I can see him playing FG next year in the spot Guler/Horsburgh should have cemented by now.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Billy Walker wrote: September 21, 2021, 11:48 am Don’t know him - is he athletic enough for the new game? He is a very large human, and Shannon Boyd and others have shown the pace of the game requires more than size. Has he got the tank, pace and agility for the modern game?
Looks like a decent mover in the highlights. Had a look at his stats, if you can rack up 43 tackles (1 miss) + 188 metres in the same game, that'd suggest he gets around the park ok and can handle a workload enough that he's seeking tackles to get involved in.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Ok, Ive just looked at the highlights, and MEH! Big body guy, sure. Doesnt really have an offload, and isnt exactly dynamic with or without the ball. Depth is all I can see there.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 1:17 pm Ok, Ive just looked at the highlights, and MEH! Big body guy, sure. Doesnt really have an offload, and isnt exactly dynamic with or without the ball. Depth is all I can see there.
I thought his metres were good. He'd be a 4th/5th prop- exactly where I want the option of a no frills, hard yards prop. The lack of yards from Sia and Lui was galling at times. The makes a lot more post contact metres than Guler for example. I'd happily have him on board.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

Sounds good. Can't be worse than some of the limp performances dished up by a fair few of our middles this season.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

BadnMean wrote: September 21, 2021, 3:51 pm
Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 1:17 pm Ok, Ive just looked at the highlights, and MEH! Big body guy, sure. Doesnt really have an offload, and isnt exactly dynamic with or without the ball. Depth is all I can see there.
I thought his metres were good. He'd be a 4th/5th prop- exactly where I want the option of a no frills, hard yards prop. The lack of yards from Sia and Lui was galling at times. The makes a lot more post contact metres than Guler for example. I'd happily have him on board.
Thats how Guler looks in NSW Cup though.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

I'm all for bringing in fresh faces, but I didn't see a lot other than a run of the mill middle in the highlights reel. He's young and big and ran with aggression against reggies defenders. Sure the club needs depth in every position, but the silence on the 7 position is a head shaker. I wonder if Toots jnr has pushed for the Goulburn lad to join the Raiders. Anyways, sign him up if he's on close to minimum pay and move on.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

Matt wrote: September 21, 2021, 4:49 pm
BadnMean wrote: September 21, 2021, 3:51 pm
Thats how Guler looks in NSW Cup though.
Absolutely not. His post contact metres are about triple Gulers- small sample but significant. He's making about double the # of tackles per game, his overall metres 50%+ more. Not accurate at all.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

bonehead wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:45 am socks down, head taped fronty, get him in

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk
And no stupid haircut.
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Raider Azz
Jason Croker

Post by Raider Azz »

Goulburn junior, that's ours. Hands off Sharks
Roy Rover
Chris O'Sullivan

Post by Roy Rover »

Luke Page had a much better reserve grade highlights reel.
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I think forwards that are straight runners are pretty well covered. We need something a little different.
-PJ-
Mal Meninga

Post by -PJ- »

Roy Rover wrote: September 22, 2021, 12:00 pm Luke Page had a much better reserve grade highlights reel.
It’s LUKE PAGE
3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment..Old Faithful
#emptythetank :shock:
Hong Kong Raider
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Laurie Daley

Post by Hong Kong Raider »

zim wrote: September 22, 2021, 12:14 pm I think forwards that are straight runners are pretty well covered. We need something a little different.
Exactly. We have people like Sutton who runs hard and straight but with no or minimal ball skills, who Ricky insists on playing at lock when other locks in the comp like Cameron Murray, Victor Radley, Yeo, Jake Turbo give you that added dimension. Even Trent Robinson wants to play Connor Watson as a 14 at lock. Even Nathan Brown has better ball skills than Sutton.

Sutton has been one of our better performers in the last two years but he is a prop and not a lock. He hasn't developed any ball skills in that time.
Walter
David Grant

Post by Walter »

How was Harry Rushton progressing before his injury and is he a possibility at lock in the future?
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Walter wrote: September 22, 2021, 2:02 pm How was Harry Rushton progressing before his injury and is he a possibility at lock in the future?
Along with Trey Mooney, quite well by all reports.
Matt
Don Furner

Post by Matt »

Hong Kong Raider wrote: September 22, 2021, 1:07 pm
zim wrote: September 22, 2021, 12:14 pm I think forwards that are straight runners are pretty well covered. We need something a little different.
Exactly. We have people like Sutton who runs hard and straight but with no or minimal ball skills, who Ricky insists on playing at lock when other locks in the comp like Cameron Murray, Victor Radley, Yeo, Jake Turbo give you that added dimension. Even Trent Robinson wants to play Connor Watson as a 14 at lock. Even Nathan Brown has better ball skills than Sutton.

Sutton has been one of our better performers in the last two years but he is a prop and not a lock. He hasn't developed any ball skills in that time.
Lets face it, he wore the 13, but we were playing 3 props. None were ball players (Papa has it in him though - has thrown some money cutouts in his career), even if our 2 best are offload merchants.

Going into next year we need a new plan! Id be using Sutton to split Papa and Tapine up, and playing a more mobile player at lock, even if that player is Hodgo, Whitey, potentially Peachey or 'insert other option here'.