2021 in review - Xavier Savage

All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Now it is season over for the Canberra Raiders, we will be reviewing all 31 players who pulled on a green jersey in first grade in 2021. So far, we have looked at the season of Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad.

It was some year for 19 year old Queensland winger Xavier Savage. At the beginning of 2021, he was newly arrived in the national capital and just out of high school. We already knew he was fast, with him winning the under 17s 100 metre sprint title in 10.95 seconds at the Queensland junior athletics championships a couple of years back. Anyone who saw him turn our for Queensland for the 2019 Secondary Schools championship in Canberra knew he was a star in the making.

He started the year in the Raiders' SG Ball squad and went on to win a premiership with that Under 19s team. He got an early shot in NSW Cup, playing in the Round 2 clash with the Eels. He scored a hat trick in the narrow loss. And after the SG Ball Grand Final, he became a regular in the Raiders' "reggies". In a hint of what was to come, he was given a shot at fullback in the Round 11 clash with the Magpies and ended up making five appearances in NSW Cup - before the competition was closed down due to the COVID outbreak in Sydney.

Savage made an unexpected NRL debut in the Round 15 clash with the Dragons. He was the 18th man, but he had to leave the field after 11 minutes, because the Raiders had no right to send an 18th man on in the circumstances. That was because Dragon Jack Bird had not been sin-binned or sent off for his tackle on Sebastian Kris - which put Kris out of the game.

The NRL later ruled that it was an unofficial appearance - but on the night, it didn't seem to matter much when he went to the fence to embrace family. His mother had travelled from Cairns to Wollongong for the game because she felt "something is going to happen".

"She was like why are you coming off. She said, 'it’s okay, you still went pretty good anyway'," Savage said after the game.

"My mum and sister flew down for the match. My mum had said 'I am going to regret it if I don’t come down. I know something is going to happen'. I ran straight to her when I got called off. It was a very surreal moment for me, I have been through a lot growing up. I can’t believe that I actually got out there and fulfilled my childhood dream."

When it came time for him to make his official debut, there was more emotional family time. He was selected at fullback for the Round 17 match against the Sea Eagles, after Bailey Simonsson - the third player to feature in the No. 1 jersey to that point - was ruled out with an injury. He performed well in that game, but he really shone in the Round 18 win over the Sharks. I rated him an "8" in that match. He scored his first NRL try, with Seb Kris passing Savage the ball, when Kris probably could have scored himself. But Savage deserved it, given his other contributions. He made 16 runs for running 246 metres, 88 kick return metres, 63 post contact metres, two line breaks and nine tackle breaks. One line break set up a try for Jack Wighton. Somehow, he missed being voted Fans' Choice man of the match, but he did pick up two points.

Sadly, Savage injured the AC joint in his shoulder during that break out game. It required surgery, ruling him out for the season - just as hope had risen that the Raiders had found a solution to their fullback problem. His season statistics, obviously, don't tell you much. I rated him 5.3/10 for his three matches on average - which is not bad considering he only played 11 minutes in one. His season rating reflects his low number of matches - but it's still a strong score.

Ricky Stuart now faces the challenge of how best to use Savage in 2022. Some fans are already calling for him to be selected at fullback in Round 1. There's no doubt he has a dangerous running game - and that might well be just what is needed in the era of Vlandysball. But he's still young, and fullback is a very challenging position - particularly in defence. I'm also not entirely sure he has the ball playing ability just yet. In my view, he's a better winger right now. But that's not to say he won't be able to develop into a fullback, to develop his ball playing. And the only way to develop it is to give him a shot. It's going to be an interesting Teamlist Tuesday prior to Round 1 next year.

How did you rate Xavier Savage's 2021? Do you agree with our rating? Tell us below.

Xavier Savage 2021: 3/10

2021 Statistics: (Stats from Fox Sports Lab)
Games: 3 (2 official)
Average minutes: 57
Tries: 1
Try assists: 1
Try contributions: 1
Total try involvements: 3
Total kicks: 2
Kick metres: 11
Forced line drop outs: 0
Total runs: 30
All run metres: 329
Average runs per game: 10
Average metres per game: 110
Kick return metres per game: 32
Average metres per carry: 11
Tackle breaks: 3
Offloads: 1
Line breaks: 2
Line break assists: 0
Tackles: 10
Average tackles per game: 3
1 on 1 tackles: 0
Missed tackles: 4
Average missed tackles per game: 1
Ineffective tackles: 0
Tackle efficiency: 71 per cent
Try causes: 1
Errors: 2
Penalties conceded: 0
Toviii
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Rapana

Re: 2021 in review - Xavier Savage

Post by Toviii »

Seeing more of Savage is one of the few things to be excited about in 2022
'I've got 17 blokes in that dressing room that are hurting'
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Toviii wrote: September 21, 2021, 6:19 pm Seeing more of Savage is one of the few things to be excited about in 2022
yep, an injury free season from savage and seeing his development will be the main thing ill be excited for in 2022.

I really didnt think Savage had the skills to be a fullback when i saw footage of him in junior footy but his dynamic ball running really added a lot in the time he was there for us. He will need to develop the ball skills to at least run a sweep play and make the right passes in high pressure situations but if he can do that, then we might have a real star on our hands

At the very least i think this is 200+ game NRL winger.
Billy Walker
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Ashley Gilbert

Post by Billy Walker »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 6:58 pm
Toviii wrote: September 21, 2021, 6:19 pm Seeing more of Savage is one of the few things to be excited about in 2022
yep, an injury free season from savage and seeing his development will be the main thing ill be excited for in 2022.

I really didnt think Savage had the skills to be a fullback when i saw footage of him in junior footy but his dynamic ball running really added a lot in the time he was there for us. He will need to develop the ball skills to at least run a sweep play and make the right passes in high pressure situations but if he can do that, then we might have a real star on our hands

Ok I know this is insanely getting ahead of things, but just for a giggle, in his whole 2 games so far have you seen anything to suggest somewhere a couple of years down the track he could transition to a halves player like Lockyer or Wighton have done?
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

Billy Walker wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:13 pm

Ok I know this is insanely getting ahead of things, but just for a giggle, in his whole 2 games so far have you seen anything to suggest somewhere a couple of years down the track he could transition to a halves player like Lockyer or Wighton have done?
In EXTREMELY limited time in FG in the fullback position, he's not shown he can or cant ball play. So this is beyond getting ahead of things. Its down right absurd to even speculate about such things, we are so far away from even having the faintest idea of what he's capable of... but it is the off season so ill indulge

I would say no, simply because i play the odds and the odds of that occuring are EXTREMELY unlikley
Even if he was to develop elite ball playing abilities, i dont know why you'd move a player like him into the front line in today's game.

I mean Tedesco is a pretty damn good ball player, they used him a little bit in the halves when they're banged up there. Hynes is apparently being recruited as a half, so that's a situation im very interested in seeing play out, Kayln Ponga's career could go that way... that's the level of ball playing you need to get to in order to even consider it. Playing the odds, that seems unlikely.
RedRaider
Laurie Daley

Post by RedRaider »

We have only had a glimpse of his potential so far, but it was in a key spine position of fullback. He is a dynamic ball runner so either fullback or wing would match his natural gift of speed. Sticky is always concerned about young players and the physicality of FG footy. Cotric was different because he was so powerfully built. I think Sticky will pick him on the wing for FG experience. I don't think Sticky will move CNK. He is a magnificent talent though and I hope his shoulder rehab goes well enough for him to be available in time for the start of season 2022.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

RedRaider wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:02 pm We have only had a glimpse of his potential so far, but it was in a key spine position of fullback. He is a dynamic ball runner so either fullback or wing would match his natural gift of speed. Sticky is always concerned about young players and the physicality of FG footy. Cotric was different because he was so powerfully built. I think Sticky will pick him on the wing for FG experience. I don't think Sticky will move CNK. He is a magnificent talent though and I hope his shoulder rehab goes well enough for him to be available in time for the start of season 2022.
I think it’s a good point on physical development. Xavier is pretty slight and he missed a fair number of weeks with a couple of injuries this year. Missed games during SG Ball. Personally, I think he’s definitely best right now on the wing. I’d probably ease him in there if I were Ricky. But then again, I’m not Ricky.
benda
Brett Mullins

Post by benda »

Lock this kid up on a long term deal. Future Superstar
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

This kid is a superstar. Lock him into a long term deal.
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:19 pm
Billy Walker wrote: September 21, 2021, 8:13 pm

In EXTREMELY limited time in FG in the fullback position, he's not shown he can or cant ball play. So this is beyond getting ahead of things. Its down right absurd to even speculate about such things, we are so far away from even having the faintest idea of what he's capable of... but it is the off season so ill indulge

I would say no, simply because i play the odds and the odds of that occuring are EXTREMELY unlikley
Even if he was to develop elite ball playing abilities, i dont know why you'd move a player like him into the front line in today's game.

I mean Tedesco is a pretty damn good ball player, they used him a little bit in the halves when they're banged up there. Hynes is apparently being recruited as a half, so that's a situation im very interested in seeing play out, Kayln Ponga's career could go that way... that's the level of ball playing you need to get to in order to even consider it. Playing the odds, that seems unlikely.
greeneyed wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:13 pm
RedRaider wrote: September 21, 2021, 9:02 pm We have only had a glimpse of his potential so far, but it was in a key spine position of fullback. He is a dynamic ball runner so either fullback or wing would match his natural gift of speed. Sticky is always concerned about young players and the physicality of FG footy. Cotric was different because he was so powerfully built. I think Sticky will pick him on the wing for FG experience. I don't think Sticky will move CNK. He is a magnificent talent though and I hope his shoulder rehab goes well enough for him to be available in time for the start of season 2022.
I think it’s a good point on physical development. Xavier is pretty slight and he missed a fair number of weeks with a couple of injuries this year. Missed games during SG Ball. Personally, I think he’s definitely best right now on the wing. I’d probably ease him in there if I were Ricky. But then again, I’m not Ricky.
All of these posts are heading in the directions I wanna touch on, so Ive copied them all in.

1. That Sharks game was THE highlight of the year, and mostly for Savage's impact on the game.

2. I dont think anyone saw Savage at FB coming into the year, BUT.... WOW! The fact that they ran him there a couple of times in NSW Cup before FG was interesting at the time, but certainly looks a good move now (Q is, was that also an injury related moved?!?)

3. Ive said it a million times this yr now, but, is Savage going to be JAC/ Saab OR Papenhuyzen?

Ive said it, as have others, but Ricky is stubborn, and as RR has said, he is hesitant to rush youngsters, esp due to the physicality. I also dont see the Fittler/ Nathan Brown (cant believe he is the other guy to try that this yr) to play your 17 best, then move them situationally - ie. name CNK at 1, and Savage at 2, but switch them on attack vs defence.

So, I return back to will Ricky look at him to be our JAC/ Saab OR Papenhuyzen? Winger or FB? IMO, in the age of Vlandysball, FBs impact on the game, esp on offence is far too important. IMO you need Savage touching the ball, OR, threatening too, as that can open up others. We saw in that Sharks game exactly what we want Savage doing, and thats looking for offloads. In that Sharks game, he followed CHN early and that lead to the Rapa try. He followed Papa and that lead to the Wighton try.

Wighton, Lockyer, Ponga and I think even Teddy, played a bit of halves as a junior. Savage was a winger growing up, so I'm going to assume that the ball playing would need to be taught. Which is why I liken him to Papenhuyzen not 1 of the others. He is a ball runner who has learnt a bit of ball playing. I think if we could get Savage to his level then we will be laughing. However, I dont see him playing in the halves unless we are absolutely decimated by injury.
papabear
Steve Walters

Post by papabear »

3/10?

10/10

Was an absolute star in the limited time he had.

He will be our second best player behind papalii next year if stuart does shaft him.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

I understand not everyone approves of the system, but here's a reminder of how it works, for newcomers or those who have forgotten. The season rating reflects a combination of my average rating for each player in 2021 and a weighting for the contribution to the season, which is proxied by games played. In practice, it means that players with limited appearances have scores adjusted down, while players with large numbers of appearances receive bonus points. I also provide my average rating in each review (though I have reported on all of the average ratings in the Season Review column in "Through green eyes".)
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Yeah, I can dig it. It jives with his system for players with limited minutes in his game reviews- just zoomed out to season overview scale.

Xavier Savage shone bright for a couple of games but had very little impact on improving our season overall (due to injury) so 3/10 is fair, even if he was an 8/10 for a game or two there.
Damoni
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Too Easy

Post by Damoni »

He was great to watch, I’d be playing him at fb

Interesting how clunky we looked trying to involve him with a few Storm like outside in balls off the ruck

Given that I hope they are clear on his position going into next year so they can practice those type of moves as our footy IQ is pretty average
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Damoni wrote: September 22, 2021, 5:10 pm He was great to watch, I’d be playing him at fb

Interesting how clunky we looked trying to involve him with a few Storm like outside in balls off the ruck

Given that I hope they are clear on his position going into next year so they can practice those type of moves as our footy IQ is pretty average
That's where you'd want a Whitehead/Peachy/Hodgo at lock and not a prop I reckon.