All the news on the Canberra Raiders NRL team, all in one place

Moderator: GH Moderators

zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Re: Canberra Raiders linked to Gold Coast Titans half Jamal Fogarty

Post by zim »

If the Titans aren't starting him it makes no sense for them to keep him either. They must be waiting on another piece to be wrapped up before releasing him.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

Titans would be absolutely bonkers not to swap Fogarty for Hodgson

For all my talk of his crash balls, he could really improve the Tits. I almost don't want it to happen because they could become very good
BadnMean
Steve Walters
Favourite Player: chicka

Post by BadnMean »

Titans would be happy to have a decent half in the wings if Sexton or their other bloke are injured or lose form. I suspect they are trying to get us to pay some freight on a swap. Hodgo would be on a bit more than Fogarty.
UncleDrew
Peter Jackson
Favourite Player: Aidan Sezer

Post by UncleDrew »

"It is understood the Raiders will not give up hope of luring Fogarty to the nation’s capital. The Green Machine are prepared to pay $300,000 a season for Fogarty’s services, almost double what he currently earns at the Titans, and the 27-year-old won’t accept languishing in the Intrust Super Cup if he is forced to play second fiddle to Sexton."

Read more: https://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/sp ... 860c2e2f89
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

He's on $150,000 (or a bit more) now?!
zim
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: NRL: Joseph Tapine
NRLW: Grace Kemp

Post by zim »

I'd wager the deal he signed earlier this year for 2 more years would be quite a bump for a guy that was made starting 7 and captain. 300k would be a good price.
Coastalraider
David Furner
Favourite Player: Dean Lance

Post by Coastalraider »

greeneyed wrote: September 23, 2021, 5:12 pm He's on $150,000 (or a bit more) now?!
Firstly, I doubt that’s accurate. Secondly, it shiws the value of reserve halves (which he was when he signed this years deal) and why we would be mad to sign up Sammy for more years, likely on more coin than that.
Seiffert82
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Bay56

Post by Seiffert82 »

$150k per season. No wonder they want to keep him! ****!

I'm no huge fan of Forgarty, but how can the same club that signed Ash Taylor for $1m per season extend the bloke who took his spot and became their captain halfback for $150k?

Makes no sense.

Last edited by Seiffert82 on September 23, 2021, 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Danaman137
Brett Mullins
Favourite Player: Clinton Schifcofske

Post by Danaman137 »

300k for a starting caliber halfback? Yes **** please.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

greeneyed wrote:He's on $150,000 (or a bit more) now?!
Crazy. Must be the lowest paid captain in history. I suppose you need to have people earning that kind of cash when you have back rowers earning 1.3m. even 300k would represent very good value imo

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

afgtnk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Crotic

Post by afgtnk »

Ugh.
Botman
Mal Meninga
Favourite Player: Elliott Whitehead

Post by Botman »

If the raiders are going to double his salary, and the Titans don’t even view him as their starter this thing is all over bar the crying
Northern Raider
Mal Meninga

Post by Northern Raider »

Report saying he's on $150k now. Meaning his 2021 contract. I would expect his new 2 year extension is worth more than that.

Still I'd be happy to get him for $300k. That kind of money still leaves plenty in reserve to grab a genuine upgrade later if needed.
* The author assumes no responsibility for the topicality, correctness, completeness or quality of information provided.
Raider47
Jason Croker
Favourite Player: Matt Timoko

Post by Raider47 »

afgtnk wrote: September 23, 2021, 5:29 pmUgh.
What?
Timbo
David Furner
Favourite Player: Hudson Young

Post by Timbo »

Imagine being offered double your current salary and the first crack at the #7 in first grade but your current club refusing and then sending you off to play in front of ten people at Pizzey Park.

You’d burn the place to the ground.
Sometimes the light at the end of the tunnel is just the train that's about to hit you.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Timbo wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:15 pm Imagine being offered double your current salary and the first crack at the #7 in first grade but your current club refusing and then sending you off to play in front of ten people at Pizzey Park.

I’m admittedly probably the most pro player poster on this site when it comes to these things
But this is why it’s foregone conclusion if those facts are correct, there isn’t a player on that titans roster who won’t empathise with that situation and be furious at the club denying him this opportunity financially and professionally

I’d be furious if our club denied a back up the opportunity to earn double their income and get a genuine Fg opportunity.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Raider47 wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
What?
The Luke Brooks dream might be coming to an end
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

Botman wrote:
Raider47 wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:14 pm
What?
The Luke Brooks dream might be coming to an end
More like the nightmare is over before it begins

Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:02 pm If the raiders are going to double his salary, and the Titans don’t even view him as their starter this thing is all over bar the crying
Agreed
Matt
Don Furner
Favourite Player: Time for the new breed Savage, Mooney, Timoko

Post by Matt »

Botman wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:22 pm
Timbo wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:15 pm Imagine being offered double your current salary and the first crack at the #7 in first grade but your current club refusing and then sending you off to play in front of ten people at Pizzey Park.

I’m admittedly probably the most pro player poster on this site when it comes to these things
But this is why it’s foregone conclusion if those facts are correct, there isn’t a player on that titans roster who won’t empathise with that situation and be furious at the club denying him this opportunity financially and professionally

I’d be furious if our club denied a back up the opportunity to earn double their income and get a genuine Fg opportunity.
Again, agreed
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

I still think this is just wrangling over how much Titans are chipping in for him, over the next 1 or 2 years.
Shoving it in your face since 2017
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

gergreg wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:59 pm I still think this is just wrangling over how much Titans are chipping in for him, over the next 1 or 2 years.
I don't see why they'd pay him to leave- could just as easily leave him in their squad as a backup. Not like he's on much so still not going to hurt them financially.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

I dont think that's what this is about. Could be wrong but i dont think the Raiders have any issues paying full freight on this and then some to get him. And if needed, i'd bet Fog and the Raiders would be perfectly fine with Titans flat out release him with no more payments owed and just work out their own deal

I think this is more about the Titans liking the player and liking the deal they've got and thinking they've got a really good back up half in case something happens with their 1-6-7 knowing he can come in and is on a really cheap deal.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

BadnMean wrote:
gergreg wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:59 pm I still think this is just wrangling over how much Titans are chipping in for him, over the next 1 or 2 years.
I don't see why they'd pay him to leave- could just as easily leave him in their squad as a backup. Not like he's on much so still not going to hurt them financially.
That's the game.

Raiders are probably trying to get the Titans to chip in because it means we pay less from our cap.

Titans have committed 300k over the next 2 years (I don't for a moment believe those numbers but let's pretend) so they're bluffing, suggesting they'll just keep him when they really don't want him.

Meanwhile the player and his manager are sitting back agitating for the best financial deal.

There will probably be an agreement somewhere in the middle.
gerg
Laurie Daley

Post by gerg »

Botman wrote:I dont think that's what this is about. Could be wrong but i dont think the Raiders have any issues paying full freight on this and then some to get him. And if needed, i'd bet Fog and the Raiders would be perfectly fine with Titans flat out release him with no more payments owed and just work out their own deal

I think this is more about the Titans liking the player and liking the deal they've got and thinking they've got a really good back up half in case something happens with their 1-6-7 knowing he can come in and is on a really cheap deal.
If that is the case telling him directly 'he is playing Q cup next year' after captaining the side is straight out of the Ricky Stuart playbook.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

gergreg wrote: September 23, 2021, 7:38 pm
Botman wrote:I dont think that's what this is about. Could be wrong but i dont think the Raiders have any issues paying full freight on this and then some to get him. And if needed, i'd bet Fog and the Raiders would be perfectly fine with Titans flat out release him with no more payments owed and just work out their own deal

If that is the case telling him directly 'he is playing Q cup next year' after captaining the side is straight out of the Ricky Stuart playbook.
If the quoted figure of 150k per year is his salary, he's being paid a salary that is commensurate with being a QLD Cup level back up half.
I guarantee we're paying Sam Williams more than that.
greeneyed
Don Furner

Post by greeneyed »

Brent Read suggests Fogarty for Hodgson swap deal as Raiders trigger four team halves merry-go-round

Raiders hooker Josh Hodgson has been put forward as a potential swap player to allow Titans halfback Jamal Fogarty to join Canberra who could trigger a four team halves merry-go-round.

Fogarty, who is signed with the Titans until 2023 was linked with an early exit to help the Raiders fill their halfback void, but the Gold Coast put the brakes on the potential switch.

Read more: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-pr ... 8HnK3zxtsQ

If that had any legs, the issue would be how much the Raiders pay in freight.
Botman
Mal Meninga

Post by Botman »

Hodgson's name keeps coming up in these things... really hard for me to imagine he's here in 2022.
kona_dream
Clinton Schifcofske
Favourite Player: Jarrod Croker

Post by kona_dream »

If it true that he is on $150k. Then the Titian’s would be mad to release him. For the good of the game there needs to be a transfer fee, where the Raiders can pay the Titian’s to release him if the Titans want. The payment is added to the Raiders cap and off the Titian’s. They should be rewarded for a good investment they have.
BadnMean
Steve Walters

Post by BadnMean »

kona_dream wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:11 pm If it true that he is on $150k. Then the Titian’s would be mad to release him. For the good of the game there needs to be a transfer fee, where the Raiders can pay the Titian’s to release him if the Titans want. The payment is added to the Raiders cap and off the Titian’s. They should be rewarded for a good investment they have.
If Titans getting Hodgo in exchange is true then it's a win for them regardless. He'd be good for them, they don't get much from their hookers and even half busted Hodgo>>Mitch Rein.

And it's probably a win for the Raiders, freeing up a guy on huge dollars, in a position we have a promising replacement and gain a FG half on a relatively low budget. We could save up to make a play for a star half in if he doesn't work out or bring in a gun edge with the extra cash.

If they aren't getting Hodgo then yeah they lose a good half. But clubs hoarding guys in reggies, standing in the way of them getting FG football when they want out... doesn't sit well with players. Fogarty was a late bloomer- pretty cruel to block his chance at a good salary and NRL career.
Canberra Milk
Laurie Daley
Favourite Player: Leipana

Post by Canberra Milk »

kona_dream wrote: September 23, 2021, 8:11 pm If it true that he is on $150k. Then the Titian’s would be mad to release him. For the good of the game there needs to be a transfer fee, where the Raiders can pay the Titian’s to release him if the Titans want. The payment is added to the Raiders cap and off the Titian’s. They should be rewarded for a good investment they have.
On the other hand they risk pissing off the playing group by holding a player back, a la us with GWilly
Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Matt wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:56 pm
Botman wrote: September 23, 2021, 6:22 pm

Again, agreed
I concur.
FROG
Brett Mullins

Post by FROG »

FROG wrote:It's pretty obvious where this is heading. The only unknown for me is how much of hodgos salary they'd want us to pay with a player swap. I'd say nil. Call their bluff and start negotiating with CHT

Who knew that Brent Read reads the gh Image

Coastalraider
David Furner

Post by Coastalraider »

Hey Brent, I reckon the Titans could do with an expcerinced centre/goal kicker as well mate.
Ruben Daley
John Ferguson
Favourite Player: Kenny Nagas

Post by Ruben Daley »

According to Zero Tackle:

Tino - $700K
Fifita - $1.1M
Wallace - $600K
Brimson - $600K

According the Gold Coast Bulletin:

Fogarty - $150K

That does not make sense.

But even if they've got it wrong by half, Fogarty at $300K is excellent.